Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Season 3 and Progress from Season 2
 |  Printable Version
Tamar
 Saturday, August 17 2013 @ 10:09 AM UTC (Read 3632 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Hello, I wasn't sure where else to put this so I will stick it here for now.

Not sure if this has been brought up before but I wanted to know what people would think about season 3 and the fact that they would start it from scratch essentially.

Also, it is 6am at the time I write this so if I am mistaken or I said something wrong, I blame it on that.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Saturday, August 17 2013 @ 09:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Every third fortnight, when I send my milky cookies to the South Pole, I include this letter for Anti Claus to read:

Dear Anti Claus,

Please bring S3 at some point. Change the combat as we have discussed. Also change the food system to make it make more sense. Work the Season Change into Story like you did the other times. How are you? I am fine.

Love,
Full Metal Lion

PS Please reset the system so I can catch up to that chef guy in DriveKills. But give me my SP back.
PPS I want a pony.

Does that answer your question?

Profile Email Website
Daedalus
 Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 12:31 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Tamar

...and the fact that they would ...

So when you say "fact", does this mean anything more than 'unsubstantiated rumour' or 'whimsical conjecture'?

Just wondering.

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 02:40 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Daedalus

...and the fact that they would ...

So when you say "fact", does this mean anything more than 'unsubstantiated rumour' or 'whimsical conjecture'?

Just wondering.

D.

Well, for what it's worth, that would be my whimsical conjecture too. Everything changing to the point where there needs to be a clean slate is pretty much the definition of a new season.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 04:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Speaking as the guy with the third most drive kills on the Island: I would be fucking ecstatic for a reset.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Sunday, August 18 2013 @ 05:22 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hmm, on second reading, my previous post was a bit oblique. To clarify then ...

Until CMJ is ready to provide some info (AKA 'facts') about the changeover to S3, there's not really much point in agonising over it, is there?

(That's not meant as a 'get on with it' to CMJ, as I'm perfectly content for him to take as much time as he wants to.)

And to answer the original question directly: I'm quite comfortable with a re-set. Total or partial. In the 'total' scenario I have some vested interest,viz: 20 something thousand unspent SP, a clan with max buffs, over 1000 base HP, and a stake in 2 Places; and I'm still comfortable with it all going by the board if it's in the best interest of the site.

Over and out. Mr. Green

D.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Tamar
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 01:02 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

To be honest, I would hate to see my progress just poof. The effort spent on my DK's mainly as well as others stuff in the HoF. If there is a wipe, I would like to see the veterans of the game get a reward of some kind. I only bring up this topic now because I am worried that the time and effort I spent would be wasted in the (far) future.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 01:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The last time I saw CMJ in Banter discussing Season 3, he said it was exactly one year away. I have my Google Calendar marked for Thursday, May 8th, 2014.

For what it's worth, I'm not holding my breath. Wink

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 06:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

To be honest, I would hate to see my progress just poof. The effort spent on my DK's mainly as well as others stuff in the HoF. If there is a wipe, I would like to see the veterans of the game get a reward of some kind. I only bring up this topic now because I am worried that the time and effort I spent would be wasted in the (far) future.

What's the use of keeping HoF rankings if the action levels are changed or removed completely for something different? And since when has getting DKs taken effort?

I don't think veterans should gain any advantage over new people when the game's going to be just as new to them as a brand new rookie. A medal (or whatever's replacing them, if anything) would be nifty, but would require some kind of connection between the two systems.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Omega
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 07:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

The last time I saw CMJ in Banter discussing Season 3, he said it was exactly one year away. I have my Google Calendar marked for Thursday, May 8th, 2014.

For what it's worth, I'm not holding my breath. Wink

He says it's one year away every time they we discuss it. It's one year away until further notice. May 8th comes and no news of Season three? It's still one year away.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 07:46 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

From hints CMJ has let fall, I think the current plan is to have one account per player, and as many characters as we want, per account. We'll be able to claim our S2 characters, kind of, and the opening spiel will be different for them. Instead of explaining to a newbie, this Watcher will go, "Oh, right. You're from that other Island. Well, forget everything you think you know. This is how things work here." And then she'll talk about what's different.

Or, you know... Maybe it won't be like that at all. Mr. Green

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 07:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Omega

He says it's one year away every time they we discuss it. It's one year away until further notice. May 8th comes and no news of Season three? It's still one year away.

Thank you, I gathered as much. Razz That was my point. Why worry about Season 3 when it's perpetually a year away?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 10:57 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Cat out of bag: work has begun in earnest, and I've had a limited, real-life-people-who-I-know-and-other-game-designers playtest of the new combat system. Current consensus is that it's totes awesome, very unique, and still a year away. Razz

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 10:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

and still a year away. Razz

Damnit!

**grumbles and fixes his calendar.**

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 11:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cat out of bag: work has begun in earnest, and I've had a limited, real-life-people-who-I-know-and-other-game-designers playtest of the new combat system.

Does that mean it's too late to post my Season Three Combat Design Idea Manifesto? Frown

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 11:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Really? You're DKing as some sort of long term life goal rather than for the fun of it? It's possible that a reset might even be beneficial to you if it helps you to learn to let go of such things. If not, then at the last reset, S1 didn't end. It was still there on a server somewhere that you could carry on on if that's what you wanted to do. It's just that a new version of II started up in tandom. So if the same thing happens this time, your effort won't have been wasted, you can carry on on the old server by yourself, gathering ever more DKs.

Now. My thoughts on a reset. With previous new seasons, all SP spent or unspent were restored. Also, all dwellings were restored. It's obviously not for me to say if that will happen this time or not, but based on induction, it may do. In the Daedalus taxonomy, this would come under the heading 'whimsical conjecture'.

If this is the case, then that means that there are going to be huge amount of SP sloshing about, especially since a fair chunk of that SP was spent on Places in the first place - if we get those back as well, then we'd be getting a double helping. I'm not convinced would be all that good a thing.

Now. This is all speculation, and I could easily be wrong, but I'm going to brainstorm on it a wee bit. Please remember that this is all rather tentative though.

I could see a case for charging people SP to get their Places back. How much depending on how big the places are and how much programming they have. Certainly for things that cost SP in the first place, extra programming grids/row/columns and also memories. But SP has also been spent on a substantial number of Builder's Brews as well, although this I imagine would be rather harder (read impossible) to quantify.

Maybe have an upper limit of three quarters of the owners returned SP?

Two possible considerations that might want to be taken into account.
1) Some of the big Places that have been built as a team effort. A lot of the SP that was put into these places won't have come from the official owner, or even key holders.
2) Some of the things, especially programming bits that have been used, will have come from the big Programmers selection boxes, and hence will have cost the buyer rather less than the list price. Will this be covered by the 'upper price limit' that I mentioned above?

Like I said, I'm rather unsure about this, I'm just throwing it out as an idea for consideration.

Profile Email
Omega
 Monday, August 19 2013 @ 11:45 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You should have posted your manifesto a year ago.

There are two secrets to success. The second one is to never reveal all your secrets.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, August 20 2013 @ 12:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Cat out of bag: work has begun in earnest, and I've had a limited, real-life-people-who-I-know-and-other-game-designers playtest of the new combat system. Current consensus is that it's totes awesome, very unique, and still a year away. Razz

Are you moving away completely from LotGD?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, August 20 2013 @ 01:56 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

My entirely unreliable impression is:. S3 will be Grandchildren of the Green Dragon. (Almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea.)

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Tuesday, August 20 2013 @ 02:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

So it's going to be taken away by Child Protective Services and leave us with sweet bugger-all?

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.75 seconds
New Topic Post Reply