Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Mike Sandersman: what do you think of him?
 |  Printable Version
Mike Sandersman
 Friday, August 23 2013 @ 06:22 PM UTC (Read 2266 times)  
Forum Newbie

Ok, so I always wondered, what does everyone else think of Mike?

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, August 24 2013 @ 12:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In an attempt to answer this question, I have sat each and every one of my characters down and put to them the following question:

"What do you think of Mike Sandersman?"

I submit to you now, for the general approbation of the Enquirer viewing public, their responses.

Speranza Murphy St. James, AKA Spark: "Who? What? Why are you asking. Was he talkin' about me, because I dunno the guy from Adam. Know why I don't know the guy? Because I wasn't there. I got fourteen people who can swear to it. I was across town, takin' care of my aged granny, and anyone who says different? Is lyin'. I BEEN FRAMED."

Aloicious Johnathan St. James: "I beg your pardon? I'm not entirely certain what you're implying, madame; at last update, I was not responsible for keeping you up to date on your ridiculous social intruiges, nor will I ever ASSUME repsonsibility for such things. Now go away. I am busy with very important things."

The Bartender of the Preponderance: "Sandersman. I knew a Sandersman once, lovely fellow, he had a pet monkey he named Sancho who...what? Oh. Well, I don't think...no, he's never been in here, so I don't know. Tell him to stop on by sometime!"

The bartender's cat:

Sarah Killian Murphy, AKA Skidge: SURE I KNOW THE GUY THAT GUY IS GREAT MAN, I BET HE LIKES BALLOONS, HE LOOKS LIKE HE LIKES BALLOONS, D'YOU THINK HE LIKES BALLOONS, MAN I LOVE BALLOONS. (Note: The contestant known as "Skidge" was, as of last Network records, noted down as deceased with extreme prejudice; the Network not responsible for suppositions on the part of the author for the opinions of said corpse.)

Here-Boy: Woof? Wuf. ARF ARF ARF. (Rough translation: Food? Do you have Food, BOY DO I LOVE FOOD.)

Roxie: Mike Sandahsman? Ah cahn't be expected t'keep track of 'em all, sugah, but if y'happen t'see 'im, y'tell him t'stop on bye, Ah'm shoah we c'n fahnd a way t'keep each othah entahtained."

Kyrill: "Why does firehead furless ask about small furless man when Kyrill right here to warm her nights? Kyrill better than little furless man."

Dodger: "What? Sorry, I was...of course I was paying attention, love, how could I not pay attention to you, it's just, the light does lovely things to your hair, and I was just...what do you mean, I said I was paying attention, I hardly think that's...oh, look, there's Kew, KEW! KEW THE REDHEAD'S BEING VERY MEAN TO ME..."

Ignatius: "Hmm? Why. Did I kill him?"

ETA: Well, alright, not all of them. But you know, it is hard keeping track of them sometimes. They wander, you see.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Saturday, August 24 2013 @ 04:07 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Skidge

In an attempt to answer this question, I have sat each and every one of my characters down and put to them the following question:

"What do you think of Mike Sandersman?"

I submit to you now, for the general approbation of the Enquirer viewing public, their responses.

Speranza Murphy St. James, AKA Spark: "Who? What? Why are you asking. Was he talkin' about me, because I dunno the guy from Adam. Know why I don't know the guy? Because I wasn't there. I got fourteen people who can swear to it. I was across town, takin' care of my aged granny, and anyone who says different? Is lyin'. I BEEN FRAMED."

Aloicious Johnathan St. James: "I beg your pardon? I'm not entirely certain what you're implying, madame; at last update, I was not responsible for keeping you up to date on your ridiculous social intruiges, nor will I ever ASSUME repsonsibility for such things. Now go away. I am busy with very important things."

The Bartender of the Preponderance: "Sandersman. I knew a Sandersman once, lovely fellow, he had a pet monkey he named Sancho who...what? Oh. Well, I don't think...no, he's never been in here, so I don't know. Tell him to stop on by sometime!"

The bartender's cat:

Sarah Killian Murphy, AKA Skidge: SURE I KNOW THE GUY THAT GUY IS GREAT MAN, I BET HE LIKES BALLOONS, HE LOOKS LIKE HE LIKES BALLOONS, D'YOU THINK HE LIKES BALLOONS, MAN I LOVE BALLOONS. (Note: The contestant known as "Skidge" was, as of last Network records, noted down as deceased with extreme prejudice; the Network not responsible for suppositions on the part of the author for the opinions of said corpse.)

Here-Boy: Woof? Wuf. ARF ARF ARF. (Rough translation: Food? Do you have Food, BOY DO I LOVE FOOD.)

Roxie: Mike Sandahsman? Ah cahn't be expected t'keep track of 'em all, sugah, but if y'happen t'see 'im, y'tell him t'stop on bye, Ah'm shoah we c'n fahnd a way t'keep each othah entahtained."

Kyrill: "Why does firehead furless ask about small furless man when Kyrill right here to warm her nights? Kyrill better than little furless man."

Dodger: "What? Sorry, I was...of course I was paying attention, love, how could I not pay attention to you, it's just, the light does lovely things to your hair, and I was just...what do you mean, I said I was paying attention, I hardly think that's...oh, look, there's Kew, KEW! KEW THE REDHEAD'S BEING VERY MEAN TO ME..."

Ignatius: "Hmm? Why. Did I kill him?"

ETA: Well, alright, not all of them. But you know, it is hard keeping track of them sometimes. They wander, you see.

Crossing threads:

This is why Season Three accounts should allow players to operate multiple characters simultaneously. Aloicious has to be able to sneer at Spark, and Spark to sass him back and Dodger needs to flirt with the bartender, and Librarians are required to make life difficult for all of them, because that's how writers make stories. Not all writing on the Island is improv; there needs to be room for storytelling.

Making a game engine is dauntingly difficult, not least because there are a thousand little factors like this where one has to look ahead and dodge small design limitations that could later prove crippling. This requires superhuman foresight, but hey -- CMJ clearly is superhuman! Still, I'm sure he will be glad of feedback from players to help him keep track.

(I suppose the original author of LotGD had no notion when he started out that long-term play would reveal so many flaws in his combat system. Every single one of the design decisions must have seemed like a good idea at the time. Or at least, a good-enough idea! Meditate on this, consider that CMJ has also thought about this and is still undertaking to write a new game engine. There -- right there -- is why he's my hero!)

Oh. Back on topic: Mike Sandersman improbably survived his fatal illness and is now having a good time adventuring on the Island. What do I think of that? I am very much in favour of people having fun.

Profile Email
Justa
 Saturday, August 24 2013 @ 08:02 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

If there's an option to provide a thumb's up or a rating for each post, everyone here will get a thumb's up and six out of five stars.

Justa has not met Mike, I don't think! SO IN THEORY: She will check to make sure he's not full of joker magic then maybe feed him if he looks sad. Because food is the remedy for every ill feeling.

(Unless there's salmonella.)

Profile Email
Zora
 Sunday, August 25 2013 @ 07:31 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Zora: "Who? Should I know him? I don't recognize the name. Why do you ask?"

The twins: "Mike? He's nice. He's a good storyteller.""Not a great storyteller. But he tells lots of stories so that's okay.""And he can make fire! He won't let us play with it though, even after our hands weren't burnt anymore."He's still nice though.""He probably thinks he's our friend."

Profile Email
Clueless
 Sunday, September 01 2013 @ 10:05 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

And now I shamelessly rip off of Spark's idea.

Szara Kryik: "Who? Hmm. Unfamiliar. Hasn't caused trouble has he? I enjoy trouble, they are crunchy and go well with vinegar. Is he one of those short bus squad types? Dresses up like a rat and points their fingers at people going 'Bzzt!'? Feth but they're annoying." He grins, "Seen any Titans around?"

Deleo: "Don't know him, sorry."

Wowbagger The Infinitely Prolonged: "That substandard specimen of your species is the descendant of twerkers, likely a pair whom lacked even the cunning to understand how a simple contraceptive is made to function. By all accounts he has accrued a fractionally significant hoard of fwisdom while circling the drain. Your wretched planet will be a fairer place once someone does the service of revoking his right to inhabit the mortal plane."

A Nefarious Monsters makes a series of buzzing and chittering sounds, trying to scavenge pockets and packs for snacks.

Profile Email
Animaćeur
 Thursday, September 05 2013 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Me? Well, I don't know you. But I can imagine that Zombified Animateur would have the same reaction to you as anyone else he meets for the first time--67% of his mind has been rendered useless, after all. Depends on your character's personality if he ends up liking you in the long term.

Profile Email
Denealus
 Saturday, October 26 2013 @ 06:18 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Shamelessly shameless ripping off multiple ideas (complete with multiple personalities!):

Denealus: Huh? Um...err...well...ah. Wasn't 'spectin' t'be asked a question. Err...Mike? Mike...knew a Mike. Should I know a Mike? Lotta Mikes on the Island. Err...y'wanna pitch off and have a drink?

Handyman: Well, now. I think he'd probably be a magnficent specimen if he could only find me a pair of warm shoes. Can't go about whipping about to yesterwhats without a pair of fine shoes. Garcon? A word about my shoes!

Peach Schnapps: I think this Mike people is the bestpeople of all time. After all those other people. And kumquats. What's a kumquat? It sounds like a fun word to say. Kuuuuuuum-quaaaaaaaat. Do we have any kumquats?

Vodka Schnapps: Houm. Vell. I sink he vould be probably fine. If he is useful. Is he useful?

Doctor Writhe: ....you disgust me.

Maggots: Ehehehe. Now don't you mind the good doctor none. Says that to everybody, he does. Say, do you have a fine linen closet I could sleep in? I do love a good linen...

...key point, never ask characters to give an opinion for you.

Now from the Narrator: Key point is if you're having fun. Doesn't always mean they'll be a character I'll interact with. Taking criticism constructively with a grain of salt is a good thing. It's how we improve. Not everyone will be a fan of certain writing styles. Some people go the more psychological wacky, some people go the more slapstick route. Should add "if other people around you are having fun" too, cause fun that people interacting with you don't have isn't all that fun either. Might be good to get their takes too!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.68 seconds
New Topic Post Reply