Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Contest: Our very own star!
 |  Printable Version
Clueless
 Wednesday, October 16 2013 @ 02:07 AM UTC (Read 2939 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

In a game, of course.

As a few of you may know (and huzzah to you!) Galactic Civilizations 3 was announced today, and I am a huge GalCiv fan. Though I have the desire to rant about how and why GalCiv is awesome I shall refrain from doing so for it has little bearing on this topic!

The real reason I am posting here today is because as part of GalCiv3's pre-purchasing scheme, those who order the Elite Founder Edition get to name a star almost whatever they want! Subject to approval of course, but we are more than classy enough that this will be of little concern. Being the GalCiv fan I am, I am leaning towards buying this pricey bonus, as it comes with other goodies, and being the Island fanatic I am I want to make that star's name Island themed.

Of course I won't try to name the thing Improbable Island. That makes no sense as a star name, and could get rejected as advertising (rules for the names beyond not being vulgar and the like have not been posted but it is safe to assume ads will be frowned upon). This is no challenge of course! We are more than creative enough to slip a reference in, the remaining question, exactly, is what?

Impisland? Doesn't quite roll off the tongue as I'd like it. Besides, it doesn't quite have that zest I'm looking for. Really, it sucks and and a horrible idea!

Now, those Sneaky Bastards, the Lions.. They could help us here, yeah? Leo is a constellation, and Leo means Lion! Perhaps something there? Leo Islandikus? Toss is some Latin sounding nonsense (or, better, something real) which makes some sort of sense to us. Leo Increditus. Lion Improbable. Sounds pretty legit, doesn't it?

Now I've got plenty of ideas bounding around my head, but I'd like to get some other opinions. And to sweeten the deal, if I go for your idea, I'm tossing in 20$ worth of SP for the winner (or to whoever they choose if they do not want the SP themselves). It's no cards contest, but hey, twenty bucks is nothing to sneeze at! The entries don't have to have anything to do with Lions, or Latin. An Island theme is all I request in order for an entry to be considered.

I do not yet have a time-frame for the contest, as the star name submission is not yet open, nor have dates for it been announced. Obviously the contest must be concluded by the time submissions close. The GalCiv3 Founder's Alpha is meant to start in early 2014 with the Founder's Beta soon to follow, so my rough guesstimate is that submissions will open by the time the Alpha begins and close sometime in the Beta. Of course, hell if I know. I'll keep an eye out and post here.

Well, what are you sitting around listening to me ramble for?

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Wednesday, October 16 2013 @ 02:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hawton's Chance, Horatio's Bluff, Panthzer 4212-SPK, Requisitions Order Form #PNTS, Havelock's Punishment, the Blonde Watcher.

Although most of those sound more like galaxy names.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, October 16 2013 @ 05:45 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

NewHome, Crazy Audrey, Sessine, Caveman, Aranfelis, Improbable, Doktor, Chronosphere.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Clueless
 Wednesday, October 16 2013 @ 06:07 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Sessine and Aranfelis sound like they could be stars, but the others don't make much sense, Harris. NewHome once settled as well. Hawton's Chance sounds like a better one though! The latter half of Panthzer 4212-K makes it sound more official like, which is good. A shame there are no openings for galaxy or constellation names. A few more might work then, like Crazy Audrey.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, October 16 2013 @ 03:41 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Er, I'd better point out that, though I've admittedly been around the Island for a long time using the name Sessine... to a wider world, the name would surely be interpreted as a tribute to the late Iain M. Banks. That's who my character is and always has been: Count Sessine is one of the four* protagonists in Banks' 1994 novel Feersum Endjinn.

Here's a wiki list of stars already named in Galactic Civilizations: GalCiv Star Names. I've no idea how complete that is, but it gives an idea of what they're looking for. They're nearly all one-word names, with no apostrophes, and no CamelCase (i.e., NewHome)... I notice that along with some real star-names, there are plenty of SF&F tribute names. An Island reference would not be at all out of place.

My own notions: Chainsaw, Hedgehog, Kittania, Rohit, Skronky. (If I had to pick only one of those for my nomination, I'd choose Rohit. Apart from the Island, it means 'red' as in the early redness of dawn, so very appropriate for a star -- perhaps a red giant. I also love Hawton's Chance!)

--
* Spoiler: Three.

Profile Email
Daedalus
 Thursday, October 17 2013 @ 01:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Out of curiousity I googled the less common (i.e. I ignored 'Improbable' &c) one word suggestions thus far, to see which would produce Island related 'hits', and the first page results:

Sessine. 8 real persons' profiles, most on linkedin, one reddit user, and 'our' Count.

Aranfelis. At the top of page, this very Enquirer thread*. Then alternative spelling results.

Kittania. Two Enquirer articles (one wiki and one forum thread) in the first two slots.

Skronky. No Island connection on the first page of results.

Rohit. No Island connection on the first page of results.

Why yes, I clearly do have too much time on my hands.

D.

*Which created an odd sensation, like seeing the back of your head in a shop video. 'Oooh lookit', I said, 'the page that I'm searching from is the top result of the search from the page ...' (u.s.w.) Yup, definitely too much time.

The lunatics are taking over the asylum! Come with?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, October 17 2013 @ 10:16 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

On the other hand, if you google 'Skronky Pot' the references are all Island.

The best result is the one where CMJ showed the module to other LotGD programmers on DragonPrime....

Oh. And the monster is spelled Araneafelis -- google that and it's all Island. Not surprisingly, since it's a fake-Latin neologism meaning spiderkitty! But it's a bit of a mouthful, yeah. Aranfelis would be better for a star name.

Profile Email
Clueless
 Monday, October 21 2013 @ 01:20 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Daedalus

Why yes, I clearly do have too much time on my hands.

D.

Quite so! Never a bad thing. Now lets get on towards that asylum...

Profile Email
Matthew
 Monday, October 21 2013 @ 10:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Crazy Audrey is clearly the best option.

Profile Email
Jade XXIV
 Friday, November 29 2013 @ 02:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

How about Elessa? Seems like a star-like name.

The poor woman should get some recognition. After all, she tirelessly slaves away handling all the Island's monies!

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
Clueless
 Wednesday, December 11 2013 @ 07:51 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I had to think about that name for a moment until I read on and save the part about money. I completely forget her name every time I walk out of the bank it seems. And I've even used specials to influence her a few times!

No concrete word on when the GalCivII contest begins yet, so all entries are still up for consideration!

Profile Email
Clueless
 Wednesday, July 16 2014 @ 01:32 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Ahem.

Ahk!

So much dust! Can we get a vacuum?

Yes, yes!!

ZROOOOOOM

ANYWAY, Docenspiel, I think I like your Panthzer 4212-SPK as the best star name! However there is one tiny problem.. It is one character too long. A character limit was not known when I announced the contest, but it is 16 characters. It's your name, so, if you want a modified version of it as a suggestion, what would that submission be?

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Wednesday, July 16 2014 @ 05:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Have to go with Panthzer 4212-II, clearly.

Profile Email
Clueless
 Wednesday, July 16 2014 @ 10:38 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Beautiful, and to which account(s) do the winnings go?

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Wednesday, July 16 2014 @ 07:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's a spot on account pages to have your Island name in case you tried making an account with it but it just wouldn't accept your email and you had to make a completely new one plus a new name just to post a humorous aside to a conversation. I'm DoC.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.54 seconds
New Topic Post Reply