Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: Feedback and Development New Topic Post Reply
 New Player - feedback on the intro
 |  Printable Version
Rezilia
 Saturday, November 30 2013 @ 09:46 AM UTC (Read 2020 times)  
Forum Newbie

Here in 2013, technology has definitely evolved. While the intro does have some things that still work, like claiming you can browse on your computer and phone (which IS still a thing), other parts, I believe, should be changed. It'll just be quick edits, reviewing the game content and replacing what's needed - the experience should still be the same.

First of all, it should state that the character is used to using touchpads rather than silicone or lumpy computers. This is just due to modern keywords. In addition to this, replace the computers they have on the island from silicone to quantum. Once again, just modern concepts and keywords. I mean, the quantum computer CAN be silicone but...well, you get the point.

Another possible choice of the above is to claim that there are Quantum Visors rather than Quantum Computers. These visors are based on the Nawlz and Google Glass concepts - I'm sure many of you have seen visors with screens in some SciFi games. Oh, and they can sense where your hand is - so it'll still have touch technology. Sort of like ARI in Heavy Rain...but without needing a glove. This concept is something most likely to occur in the near future, seeing how tech is currently evolving.

As for the chip implant - NOOOOO. That is an archaic concept. Sending a signal into the brain to mess with brain waves (once again, sort of like in Nawlz) is a much better way to alter the brain's functionality when need be. As the brain uses its own and your body's current features (atleast at the beginning) in order to enhance you, you won't run out of external chemicals, as what is used right now with the chips - I do believe. As time goes on, upgrade chambers may be achieved that alter your body's make-up, allowing its new features to be reproductive in nature rather than limited - and also still controllable by your brain. In addition, the visors can auto-upload signals into your brain which allows "software updates" per se.

Doing the above would be more modern in its concept and would keep you from having to update the details again for a few years. Oh! Also, brainwaves can't be disrupted by EMPs...though weaponizing the signal technology COULD be quite dangerous. We'll see how it goes >.>

Profile Email
Waverly
 Saturday, November 30 2013 @ 11:55 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Rezilia

First of all, it should state that the character is used to using touchpads rather than silicone or lumpy computers. This is just due to modern keywords. In addition to this, replace the computers they have on the island from silicone to quantum. Once again, just modern concepts and keywords. I mean, the quantum computer CAN be silicone but...well, you get the point.

I disagree with this, although I find it difficult to pin down why... perhaps because when I think 'silicon' I think of it as the basic building block of modern computing technology. Contrast this with a tube-and-relay getup that's in comparison, primitive, and the word usage feels much more evocative than 'quantum'. Forget something as advanced as that, they don't have simple integrated circuitry.

Another possible choice of the above is to claim that there are Quantum Visors rather than Quantum Computers. These visors are based on the Nawlz and Google Glass concepts - I'm sure many of you have seen visors with screens in some SciFi games.

Something akin to this is mentioned in the Newhome museum, actually.

As for the chip implant - NOOOOO. That is an archaic concept. Sending a signal into the brain to mess with brain waves (once again, sort of like in Nawlz) is a much better way to alter the brain's functionality when need be. As the brain uses its own and your body's current features (at least at the beginning) in order to enhance you, you won't run out of external chemicals, as what is used right now with the chips - I do believe. As time goes on, upgrade chambers may be achieved that alter your body's make-up, allowing its new features to be reproductive in nature rather than limited - and also still controllable by your brain. In addition, the visors can auto-upload signals into your brain which allows "software updates" per se.

This is a cool idea, but I like the chips, and the idea of sending a signal into the brain using a computer chip is something I've read about, to help epilepsy and such. So really... the concept of a chip isn't all that archaic, and I think it actually fits quite neatly with yours. Also, if you're not past your first DK then you haven't seen the rest of the implants; more become available as you go along that differ from the 'external chemicals' of the Chemical Pack. Not all of them work the same way.

However, I dislike the idea of the visors because I think if any survived the EMP, they'd be precious and certainly not available to any rookie who's probably going to end up as Panzther fodder within a few days. Chips with one use, something that was probably military surplus or a sports/fitness cheat (like steroids) seems more like something the Network would be willing to hand out to new contestants, rather than a computer visor with infinitely more use. I wouldn't like to see it used as the basis for a new implant system, but they could be awesome as a new implant itself for higher levels, something a bit more customizable than a regular implant. However... if an advanced tool like that was available, I can't imagine the Watcher using her relay computer instead, which is something mentioned in one of the quests. It would require a bit of a rewrite/rethink on CMJ's part. Personally, I think the 'proper computers' line refers to the Robots, not anything that's generally available to contestants.

All that aside, I would also love to see more descriptions of the technology used by the network, and more importantly how they got it, but honestly, an update such as you're looking for is almost certainly going to have to wait for Season 3.

also, that thing I was reading--> http://www.infowars.com/a-chip-in-the-head-brain-implants-will-be-connecting-people-to-the-internet-by-the-year-2020/

Profile Email
Rezilia
 Saturday, November 30 2013 @ 12:36 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I've seen the articles about the chips. When the concept was first released of implanting chips, supposedly for medical use, I instantly became a part of the group against it. I don't want a physical object sticking to my brain. I've already seen what it can do in Ghost in the Shell. Putting physical tech on the brain is too dangerous - most people forget that the brain is a very, very fragile thing. The only hardware I'd accept on my brain would be nanos - and only once they've gotten smaller than cells.

What if the hardware short-circuits? What if you hit your head and it pierces the brain? If anything happens to the hardware, your brain will most likely get harmed. For brain wave manipulation, a simple update can put the waves on the right track.

I understand that the majority of the island uses pre-modern tech - that's why I want the Staff to rewrite the game to update it with modern technology. Yes, completely.

Didn't I say that the visors were high-level? Hmmm... But yeah, I meant for them to be high-level. After all, a basic visor can allow heat-vision, night-vision, calculate the weaknesses of your enemy, even alter the terrain as you see it to look better than what it normally is... And as for EMPs messing up Visors, not going to happen. Quantum Visor tech will most likely have EM Shield technology, blocking impact from a blast - even an island-wide one.

Profile Email
Waverly
 Saturday, November 30 2013 @ 10:08 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I've seen the articles about the chips. When the concept was first released of implanting chips, supposedly for medical use, I instantly became a part of the group against it. I don't want a physical object sticking to my brain. I've already seen what it can do in Ghost in the Shell. Putting physical tech on the brain is too dangerous - most people forget that the brain is a very, very fragile thing. The only hardware I'd accept on my brain would be nanos - and only once they've gotten smaller than cells.

What if the hardware short-circuits? What if you hit your head and it pierces the brain? If anything happens to the hardware, your brain will most likely get harmed.

Well, that's why your character isn't too keen on getting it. It's a forced operation, and it's pretty damn creepy too. It's interesting to think that perhaps the chips are the way the Watcher increases your rank, making the monsters 'seem' more difficult. Don't worry, the monsters aren't really more dangerous, she's just screwing with your brain! That's merely conjecture, though.

You eye them suspiciously. "So... where, exactly, are these things going to be implanted?"
The woman tuts, smiles and shakes her head, and then holds up a large drill. "In your brain, silly!"
A brief struggle later, the two large men stand rubbing their knuckles while you try to get your breath back. It might be a good idea to just pick an Implant and get it over with.

I understand that the majority of the island uses pre-modern tech - that's why I want the Staff to rewrite the game to update it with modern technology. Yes, completely.

I don't agree that it's so dated. The Island is only five or so years old, and although things like touchscreens and quantum computers aren't explicitly mentioned, it's also set in the future. There is plenty of material through the site and the quests that makes it feel very modern to me- the laser weapons, computerized combat suits, chips that alter your brain chemistry, advanced AI... so, matter of opinion I guess.

Also, the creative staff is just one guy, the writer/creator CaveManJoe. We do have moderators, but side from Sessine's much-loved-and-missed Trains system, I don't think any of them have ever written flavortext for the site. He's planning on doing an overhaul of the intro at some point, but that's for when Season 3- the next major overhaul of the game- comes out. Probably a couple years from now.

If you haven't already poked around on the Enquirer there's additional canon information here: http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=canon

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Sunday, December 01 2013 @ 06:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

And as for EMPs messing up Visors, not going to happen. Quantum Visor tech will most likely have EM Shield technology, blocking impact from a blast - even an island-wide one.

Wanna point out that there's no such thing, in-canon. The EMP destroyed even things specifically designed to not be destroyed by EMPs.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Rezilia
 Sunday, December 01 2013 @ 08:50 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

There's technology which exists that wasn't destroyed by the EMP. In addition, just because some blueprints were lost forever, that doesn't mean the blueprints for visors with EM Shields were lost forever.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Sunday, December 01 2013 @ 10:49 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just because you have the blueprints for some futuristic technology doesn't mean you have the resources to build it. The world was shot back into using room-sized computers that take punch cards, tiny headgear with microchips are a bit out of reach.

But that's beside my point, which was that the old technology (which was the new, futuristic technology) got fried whether it had EM shielding, was kept underground in a Faraday cage or was wrapped in tin foil.

Profile Email
Ebenezer
 Sunday, December 01 2013 @ 11:07 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

This is just how the setting is. I do not comprehend why a person might wish to alter it.

Here is my best attempt at putting my thoughts on the matter to words. The setting, with technology as-described, has a certain grit to it. Altering the description of this would alter the feel of the setting. I like the current grit of the setting. I don't think it's necessary to try and smooth it out. In fact, I think that'd be detracting something from what already exists.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, December 01 2013 @ 11:41 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Also, we don't know much about what's happening currently on the mainland. It may well be that after the EMP, with the ensuing near-collapse of our very fragile civilization, there was a general consensus that it was just too risky to allow ourselves to get so dependent again on electronic technology. There could be very strong social pressure stopping people from using surviving blueprints to rebuild.

"What? You want venture capital to build a chip factory? Are you insane? It's nine kinds of illegal, and you'd likely get lynched before the law got to you. But supposing you did manage to do it in secret... who's going to buy your output?"

I suppose eventually, once memories fade, when a new generation comes along for whom the horrors of the post-EMP chaos are just tales their parents or grandparents tell, there'll start to be a black market. Maybe a few governments are already experimenting in secret. It's entirely believable, though, that out there on the mainland it's mostly way too soon.

How the Network has access to the advanced technology of the Implants, and to some of the weapons and armour available in Sheila's... is something I'd love to know more about. Actually, I'd love to know way, way more about every aspect of how the Network fits into the society off the Island!

Profile Email
Rezilia
 Sunday, December 01 2013 @ 11:47 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I meant visors and visor technology existing on the island, not the mainland. I thought the island wasn't affected by the EMPs...

--

As for changing the setting, I only thought that because the intro seems to act like you, yourself, had once before experienced technology of a certain level. For example, many people might not have ever used computers with...what was the term...pipes and wires?

Just because a person is 18, that doesn't mean they used computers at 5 years of age. I wanted the update to have the intro make a bit more sense to 18 year olds right now and in the next few years. You'd be surprised how many people older than me (I'm 20) don't know what floppy disks are...

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Monday, December 02 2013 @ 04:41 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Rewriting a work of science fiction to make it in line with current knowledge and technology would, first-off, be a never-ending task for an entire team of people and secondly, defeat the entire purpose of science fiction.

It's science fiction. There's a willing suspension of disbelief on the part of the reader that, while, no, we now know this not to be true or we have technology that would drastically alter how events progress, in this story, in this universe, it is true and there wasn't any technology invented that drastically altered events in different ways other than those presented. CMJ says that's how things went, that's how things went and no new technology invented or science discovered after the fact will change that. Unless he wants it to change it.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.39 seconds
New Topic Post Reply