Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Historic factory near collapse
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, February 04 2014 @ 05:17 PM UTC (Read 3840 times)  
Forum Moderator

Near the Scrapyard in remote Cyber City, occupying a full city block, stands an enormous Factory... cold and seemingly empty, although strange noises, flashes of light, and rare billows of smoke still emerge. Rumour hints at more than forty levels, rife with blind corridors and physical dangers: spikes, swinging blades, pits, floods, crushing hazards, rats, and hostile robots.
===
INN, Posted: 2014-02-04
BY: Junebug
===
Cyber City 404 will soon lose its oldest, most famous landmark.

In a rare public announcement today, The Watcher warned of structural instability in the Abandoned Factory and predicted an imminent collapse.

Speaking directly to all contestants, she remarked, "Some of you are, for reasons quite beyond my comprehension, quite fond of the dilapidated wreck." She suggested that if anyone wanted to have one or two last excursions inside the hazardous old building, it ought to be done soon.

The property is zoned heavy industrial. No plans have been filed to put a new building on the site.

The Watcher, when contacted for further reaction, declined to either confirm or deny insider rumours that deep scanning has revealed tunnels below the property. "I don't comment on speculations," she said.

"It's been there forever," said long-time Island resident Rosin. "Once the building comes down, the area just won't be the same."

Renowned map-maker and explorer Buddleia said, "The old Factory's falling down? Aw man, I'm going to miss that place when it finally crumbles. Did you know there are forty-four different layouts? And some of them you can't tell which one you're in until you're Boated? It's such fun mapping them, just mind all the traps!"

"Hey, I wonder what'll happen to all the squatters and so on who live in there," Buddleia added. "Hope they're going to be ok."

Profile Email
nicto1
 Tuesday, February 04 2014 @ 07:04 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Oh No!

Profile Email
Rosin
 Tuesday, February 04 2014 @ 08:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Whas'y'thin' y'say'n, Jun'bu', y'know th'Fact'ry's gon' down b'caus of th' [REDACTED], na's'm n'ternal c'lapse. An y'din' e'n ge'ny pho't'graphs'a th'insi'. Wh'bou' al'th' [REDACTED] an' [REDACTED] lef'lyin' roun' in'th'halls f'scav'ng'n? Th'INN's jus' push'n'th' story t'ge'all th'ardwor'n scavs run'ou', so th'Ne'wor' c'n [REDACTED]. S'na'li' th'whole islan' doesn'know bou'th' [REDACTED] b'tween th'Robo's n'th' [REDACTED] n'yway. Als', t'quo',

"It's been there forever," said long-time Island resident Rosin. "Once the building comes down, the area just won't be the same."
Y'din'e'er come'roun' as'n ques'ns bou'th'Fact'ry, ne'er woul'a sai'tha' an'way. Y'go'no journ'lis'i' n'tegri'y, Jun'bu', y'jus' a sensation'lis' wri'er f'th'INN, try'n't'distra' th'lo'f'us so y'boss's [REDACTED].

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
RP Whistle
 Wednesday, February 05 2014 @ 01:00 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

"Hrm, let's see what's in this week's issue...not in it, not in it, not in it...hmph, I can think of far more than six things wrong with those two pictures...still don't know what a 'Baby Bump Watch' is...not in-"

"What? No. No. No no no. That will not do. That will not do at all. You see, this is why hooliganism and delinquency is on the rise. Rickety derelict buildings are vanishing across the landscape, depriving Our Nation's Youth of an environment where they can drink The Tall Boys of Wanker Lite and break bottles all afternoon. But never mind about their plight, no. What about me? Where am I expected to drink The Tall Boy and break bottles all afternoon? Okay, I can think of several places immediately off hand. But besides the point, it's atmo-"

"Hm? Ah yes, I am quite aware this is not a library, sir. Given your selection I believe that's going to be a rather difficult deception to pull-. Ohhh, it was a buildup to your follow up question. Very clever. Well, if I were to tell you that I did intend to stand around reading all day without purchasing, would you be unpleasantly surprised? Yes, I am rolling up this issue rather tightly. No, you'll see why shortly."

Profile Email
Marly
 Wednesday, February 05 2014 @ 01:31 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Marly stands outside, looking up at the doors, a newspaper in her hands.

She stares at the paper, then at the building.

Suddenly, she yells out, "SERVES YOU RIGHT YOU... YOU..." She kicks the door and wheels away, stumbling. Tears fill her eyes.

"Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Ow. Dammit, that place was... Ow. Ow. Ow."

Profile Email
Kew
 Wednesday, February 05 2014 @ 01:51 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

"What? It's going to fall down? Why, is someone blowing it up? Ooh ooh ooh do I get to blow it up? Well why not?! No one ever lets me blow things up! Fuckin' spoilsports."

Wouldn't it be loverly?

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Wednesday, February 05 2014 @ 02:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

We Interrupt Your Regularly Scheduled Programming to Bring You Full Metal Lion's Lame-O Not-In-Character Questions

Oh! What a shame! I liked that old box of death and rust. Two quick questions, though:

Is that original art? It's quite cool-looking!

Is the removal of the factory related to the move to a completely CMJ-written Season Three of the Island?

We Now Return You To Your Regularly Scheduled Programming

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, February 05 2014 @ 03:33 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Is that original art?

No, it's clearly a file photograph of the Abandoned Factory, one which seems to have been taken some time ago -- before the Midgets smashed the lamp over the front door.

Actually... that's my work, one of the first illustrations I made for the Art Deck. It's still going to be included, although I've had to modify the accompanying write-up.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Wednesday, February 05 2014 @ 08:19 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

"I do not trust this. The island is malleable, but such structures tend to last. I do not like what it may mean that this one will not. And no, this is not due exclusively to the fact that my primary secondary plan of retreat should the island come under some form of attack that forces it to retreat to the northeastern edges relies heavily upon the existence of the factory."

Profile Email
Denealus
 Sunday, February 16 2014 @ 09:53 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Den looks on at the paper, just as he conveniently looks out from the Glass and Mirror. Then back at the paper, scratching his head.

"Near collapse, eh? S'this kinna like Season 3's bein' a year off?" Settling down his cup of coffee, he glances out at the building again. "S'good bricks tho'. Could use some good bricks." Sip.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.84 seconds
New Topic Post Reply