Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Username change?
 |  Printable Version
pandapounce
 Thursday, July 17 2014 @ 02:36 PM UTC (Read 1651 times)  
Forum Newbie

So, I see there were a couple posts about the possibility of username changes before, but apparently nothing ever came of them. When I chose my username, I didn't know that it was going to be a roleplaying name. When I asked for a name that was already taken I was told "Just put down any old thing". So I did. I got really into the game very quickly, but wasn't really paying attention to anything but the mechanics for a while. So it's two days since I've signed up and I want to get into the RP aspect. I'd make a new character, but I already donated money and attached my World Community Grid to this account. I feel like I made a huge mistake by donating money so quickly, which is not how you want your players to feel. I do understand that excessive name changing can hurt the roleplay. But the answer to that is to make name changes difficult, not impossible. For example, the first name change could cost a small amount of supporter points and get exponentially more expensive very quickly. Hopefully something can be worked out, and thanks for your time.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, July 17 2014 @ 04:28 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Right now name changes are handled manually, by mods. Put in a petition via the Report a Problem link at the top of the page -- that makes it easier for us to help you.

In general, if anyone else is wondering about our name change policy...
The game code won't let us rename anyone to a name that's already in use by another character. (And, of course, we do reserve the right to reject offensive names.)

If you're a new player who realizes a short way into the game that you really wish you had entered a different name when you signed up, you can have a better one very readily, just for the asking!

For more long-established characters, there are a couple of other rules we make sure players understand clearly before we do a change:
- First, we will only do a maximum of one name change per character. No temporary RP-related changes -- that's what titles are for.*
- And second, you are responsible for letting other players know that you are still you. It wouldn't be fair to others to allow stealth identity changes. The usual way to do this is to mention it in Banter, then put a note in your bio.

--
* Someday there might be a name-change request feature added to the game to make all this easier and more widely known; I wouldn't rule it out, but new names will probably always have to be subject to moderator approval.

Profile Email
pandapounce
 Friday, July 18 2014 @ 12:21 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Thanks a lot for your quick reply!

Profile Email
Kratargon
 Friday, August 01 2014 @ 11:09 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I believe there is an item, something like "Official Document", that allows a name change for 25 supporter points, with a more expensive version for infinite name changes.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Friday, August 01 2014 @ 11:19 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

There's no item that allows a name change. What that Document in the Lodge allows you to do is change your Title -- that is, the words that precede your name. People have a lot of fun with titles. And you can change the colouring of your name. You can also change upper and lower case, but you have to keep the same letters.

As I said, actual name changes are handled manually, by moderators.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.25 seconds
New Topic Post Reply