Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 What does your character sound like?
 |  Printable Version
Matthew
 Friday, December 05 2014 @ 07:22 AM UTC (Read 3381 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I certainly do, and I'm sure a lot of other people have a 'voice' that they hear in their head while writing and reading dialogue for their characters. I'm curious to know how people imagine their own characters sounding like and how closely that tends to match up with how other people think. This is the kind of thing I think about, because I am a Huge Goddamn Nerd.

For Claude (and even before, when he was Matthew, so basically the dark ages) I've always imagined a higher-pitched, nasally voice, the kind that's great at drawing out vowels and whining. The whining is vital. Example would be the Scout from TF2. Another great example is this guy (but seriously, watch that whole video, it's hilarious). Yuri Lowenthal is another one.

Basically, if the Island where a video game/anime/cartoon/radio drama/whatever, who would you pick to voice your character? Y'know, if you could pick anybody.

edit: fuck I use the word 'great' a lot. Fixed.

Profile Email
Mogar
 Sunday, December 07 2014 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

This is hard. To me, it's kinda like putting pictures in a text adventure game; I don't know how I feel about it. I definitely have the temptation to show those aspects of my character, though. I can't find a suitable Mogar voice, but this guy does Mogar's back pain noises pretty spot on. I don't think the rest of the video does Mogar's voice very well though, but at times if I'm getting real silly, I suppose he might sound like that. Usually, Mogar doesn't sound too overly old, maybe somewhat like Jolee Bindo from Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. But even still, whatever your grandpa sounds like is probably close to what Mogar sounds like. Not exaggeratedly old, but certainly not young, and definitely not gruff.

Profile Email
Harris
 Monday, December 08 2014 @ 09:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I am Not British, but Harris is. By that same token , he hails from Bristol ,but I have never heard a Bristolian speak, so the way he sounds to me is about eighty percent his personality and way of thinking: often affably polite, regularly jolly, occasionally distant, and rarely a touch sociopathic.
He sounds to me like the narrator from The Stanley Parable, just a bit higher pitched.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Hairy Mary
 Monday, December 08 2014 @ 02:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Harris: This is a proper Bristle accent.
What they sound like in Southmead, Bristol.
The content is pretty boring, some bloke showing you round the neighbourhood where he grew up.
This is a clip where you're given a tour of the various accents in the city.
You might like this dialect guide as well.

For anybody wondering how one not especially large city can get so many different accents, it's because England has still got a whole class thing going on, and you reveal your place on the social spectrum as soon as you open your mouth.

As for my midget characters, they sound like nobody else on earth. The main basis is an unholy mix of the worst aspects of Cockney and Brum/Yamyam but with bits and bobs of pretty much every other accent in the UK thrown in. None of which will mean very much to non-Brits. I try to spell it phonetically then calm it down slightly in the hope that it might actually be readable.

As for Alexander Quandle, he speaks in RP. That is to say, BBC English.

Profile Email
Docenspiel
 Monday, December 08 2014 @ 04:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Dirt's supposed to bounce around every accent of natural English speakers constantly, even mid-sentence, so I imagine he'd sound like those distorted voices from warped records mixed with a sped up cassette.

For rent: one skull, in serious need of dusting.

Profile Email
Dirk Vanderhuge
 Tuesday, December 16 2014 @ 06:08 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Dirk sounds just like Patrick Warburton, usually in his Kronk incarnation from The Emperor's New Groove, with shades of The Tick, or Brock Samson from The Venture Brothers, depending on the circumstances.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, December 17 2014 @ 06:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Dirk+Vanderhuge

Dirk sounds just like Patrick Warburton, usually in his Kronk incarnation from The Emperor's New Groove, with shades of The Tick, or Brock Samson from The Venture Brothers, depending on the circumstances.

I can totally hear it.

Profile Email
Akogi
 Wednesday, December 17 2014 @ 10:01 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Few people probably clearly remember character as I haven't rped the character in ages; just as hint that will help refresh people's memories: leprechaun, dressed all in red. But when I did, I always had the impression that no one could get his voice right as it's a fairly unique accent.

The closest way I could put is: take a heavy Canadian maritime accent and add in a bit of the Acadien accent. The maritime accent gives it that Irish feel and at same time make it seem like something is off. The one thing that makes it stand out though is that the leprechaun talks quickly which isn't easy to make the feeling come across when you type.

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, December 19 2014 @ 04:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Harris: This is a proper Bristle accent.
What they sound like in Southmead, Bristol.
The content is pretty boring, some bloke showing you round the neighbourhood where he grew up.
This is a clip where you're given a tour of the various accents in the city.
You might like this dialect guide as well.

For anybody wondering how one not especially large city can get so many different accents, it's because England has still got a whole class thing going on, and you reveal your place on the social spectrum as soon as you open your mouth.

As for my midget characters, they sound like nobody else on earth. The main basis is an unholy mix of the worst aspects of Cockney and Brum/Yamyam but with bits and bobs of pretty much every other accent in the UK thrown in. None of which will mean very much to non-Brits. I try to spell it phonetically then calm it down slightly in the hope that it might actually be readable.

As for Alexander Quandle, he speaks in RP. That is to say, BBC English.

My God. I now love Harris' hometown, need to find out more about it, and USE IT.

Also, that's kind of how I always heard the Skronkys in particular, with the exceptions of Julia having badly affected high society tones and inflection and Chlamydia and Cyril being the only two who are ever affable.

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.76 seconds
New Topic Post Reply