Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Kittymorph history
 |  Printable Version
Sillie
 Wednesday, February 25 2015 @ 08:26 AM UTC (Read 2011 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I would like to do some role playing around the business of getting memory erased after a DK. So, now I have a Kittymorph character (Sillie) who apparently remembers being a kitten, according to the post-DK text in-game. This character is 65 years old (or at least, he was, as a human). I'm envisioning him bumping into people or documents who insist that can't be right, because Kittymorphs have only been around a few years, since the Improbability Drive was built.
1) How long ago was that, for in-game characters?

The museum is fuzzy on the subject, stating KMs came to be on the Island (but that leaves open the possibility they came to the Island from "the mainland").

2) What assumptions can I make about what NPCs (such as Havelock Stern) say about the history of Kittymorphs?
3) Is it just common knowledge, blithely assumed in conversation, that Kittymorphs all originate in DKs?
4) Do characters actually become aware that they have participated in multiple DKs, or has memory wiping perpetrated a successful cover-up?
5) Is there any mechanism for a character who has one or more DKs to remember his life before being shipped to the island? I was developing a story of my character's pre-abduction history, before being told of the memory-wipe.

Incidentally, this memory-wipe business could play hob with role-playing, if taken seriously.

I apologize if all this is newbie ignorance, but my searches on the wiki have failed to reveal answers.

Thanks for your consideration of my questions.

Distractions welcome @ Sillie

Profile Email
Harris
 Wednesday, February 25 2015 @ 02:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There really is no Kittymorph history, official or otherwise. Knock yourself out, I'd say!

There is no official timeline for how long its been since the Drive was built. In official story terms, its' own reality-warping nature, certain entire playable races outlooks, and the memory-wiping drugs contribute heavily to this.

Assumption-wise, really, the only thing you CAN go on (from the official story) is each NPC's established personality, and how you imagine that personality would define the Kittymorph history.

If you read ALL of the official story text, it reads as though EVERY Island race has members that naturally occur on the Island (except for Robots, but I suppose you could say "Were naturally built") AND other members that were abruptly created after [doing the thing that is a bit of a spoiler, so I'm not gonna say it].

Memory wiping... official story? It never stops. Unofficial, and accepted by almost everyone? It stops working on your character after a few DKs or so because of [whatever reason you want to insert here]. Me, I've always looked at it as "Well, the body can build up a tolerance to drugs, soo..."

Hope this helps!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
LydiaDefountain
 Friday, February 27 2015 @ 09:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd argue the canonly that the fact that the memory wipe is a choice, and the fact that with ongoing multi dk story like 10-16 having different in story events but your character clearly remembers what happened back at dk 10 and if canonly we always invariability memory wiped that would not be possible. So officially it never stops that you have the choice to forget your live before you were horribly mangled and turned into a cat person thing...

Profile Email
Harris
 Saturday, February 28 2015 @ 06:46 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

I'd argue the canonly that the fact that the memory wipe is a choice, and the fact that with ongoing multi dk story like 10-16 having different in story events but your character clearly remembers what happened back at dk 10 and if canonly we always invariability memory wiped that would not be possible. So officially it never stops that you have the choice to forget your live before you were horribly mangled and turned into a cat person thing...

Oh yes! I'd forgotten how the actual conversation goes.

Lydia's right!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.36 seconds
New Topic Post Reply