Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Everything Else New Topic Post Reply
 Attack/Defense Stat - simple question.
 |  Printable Version
cxrash
 Saturday, April 25 2015 @ 01:53 AM UTC (Read 2190 times)  
Forum Newbie

SO... Just wondering what you guys use as your dump stat, as in the one you dump all the points into.

What's the strategy behind this? I was figuring that I'd dump all my points into Def because ripostes use your defense and the enemy's attack (don't they?) to calculate the damage, or should i just go for a wicked high Atk?

How are you guys playin' it?

Profile Email
Naldru
 Sunday, April 26 2015 @ 12:00 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm planning on rotating between defense, attack, and more hit points, at least for the first dozen probability device kills. Putting everything in attack and nothing in defense has been called being a glass canon. Your first shot may kill the enemy, but the enemy's first shot has a good chance of killing you.

I don't really know enough to make a good decision. The first question would be whether attributes of the monsters that strike you are based solely on the rank and level, or whether they are also dependent on the number of attack, defense, and hit points possessed by your character. If the settings for monster on solely dependent on the level and rank, adding hit points would tend to reduce the effect of random events causing a number of high point attacks that could overwhelm the other character.

SMILE injectors keep increasing your hit points, even when you have exceeded your maximum number of hit points. For example, using 5 2ml SMILE injectors after being at maximum hit points will set your hit points to three times the maximum number of hit points.

Another problem is that Caveman Joe can alter the algorithms at will, The line that comes to mind is from "To a Mouse" by Robert Burns: " The best laid plans o' mice and men gang off agley".

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, April 26 2015 @ 02:00 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

General player consensus is that you shouldn't waste the DK option on hit points. There are other ways to increase your HP if that's what you want, and anyway there are good reasons to go slow about adding HP. Once or twice at the beginning, sure, if you like. It can help you survive tough fights, but too many HP will make life difficult for you later on. You can always trade charm for HP if you decide you want to pump up.

It helps to know that there isn't just one optimum strategy for playing this game. People specialize. Characters have different strengths.

As for attack versus defense, that depends a lot on style of play. Me, I play a Joker, which means my stats are going to vary wildly every day no matter what. For a long time I kept my AT and DF balanced. Lately though, I've been putting it all into attack, and that does seem to be gradually cutting down on the number of times I get killed by my armour.

Thing is, the combat engine we're using was never designed for players to stick around for hundreds of DKs. It works quite reasonably for the first few, maybe even the first fifty. But, eventually, it gets weird.

Profile Email
Naldru
 Sunday, April 26 2015 @ 03:22 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

That is useful information. When I was playing today, I saw some behavior that made me think that the engine was basing the monsters on maximum hit points and rank instead of level and rank. If this is the case, I don't want to add hit points since it would make the monsters tougher. Do you have any idea whether the algorithm uses maximum hit points or level in the algorithm? I'm not sure if it would feel right if I went through the code.

With regard to the engine behaving strangely after a few hundred improbability drive kills, you can always use the historic retort of computer programmers for many years: that's not a bug, it's a feature.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Sunday, April 26 2015 @ 01:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

One nice thing about having a lot of HP, though, is you can shift those points into Attack and/or Defense over at Tynan's Gym in Squat Hole. I'm not sure what the ratios are, but you get 5 HP per DK point, versus only 1 point in Attack and Defense. Some of the Island's toughest Titan Fighters use this (or used to use this?) strategy to buff up their attack beyond reasonably sane levels. Razz

The only thing is, Tynan's Gym buffs wear off over New Days, and you have to repeat the process over again, often using an entire day's stamina to see the results you want.

I do know that Monster attacks are related to your HP to help scale things. This way people with ridiculously high HP (check the Hall of Fame to see what I mean!) have roughly the same difficulty as people just starting out.

Likewise, when you encounter Monsters in the Jungle, and you see they start out with a relatively low HP compared to the other monsters at that level, you can be sure they'll have a very high attack.

I would love to know if the game rescales the monsters based on your attack and defense, too. This is just a question I've never gotten an answer to. I mean, it would make sense if HP is checked that so are the other stats, but what they affect I'm not sure. I've been slowly trying to increase my attack to double that of my defense to see what that does.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Talude
 Tuesday, August 18 2015 @ 11:07 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ages ago I started a berserk based build, based on chem packs and loads of hp.
With about 10 base defence and 600ish up you can go naked for a while, so dump on attack.

The drawbacks are that you can't really autofigh as you want to keep your up at 20-30% for bonus chems (and thank God the healing is %based)

As for dumping any stat, I never really noticed the attack increase on monsters from hp, mostly on the grounds I want to get hit and having a large buffer is nice.
Attack and defence seems to have some problems of its own, as rare as it is, getting a riposte of a riposte will get you dead if you defence is too high on the def/health
Same for monstrous attack.

An example would be stacking drinks and going for the dk.
A fully buffed thing would have ridiculous amounts of attack power
Most of the Times I have done it anything I hit was a something power attack and a hitkill (anywhere from 1000 to 13000), so you can see how a fumble can make a day bad.

The wiki on titans has a nice doc about titan killing that gives you and idea of how it goes down.

Typing on phones is horrible

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.26 seconds
New Topic Post Reply