Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Hearts is spades? Joke cards in combat.
 |  Printable Version
Sillie
 Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 01:50 AM UTC (Read 2182 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm suspecting something is messed up with joker cards in combat, and I would like others to check to see whether they are also seeing weird stuff.

1) I have yet to see any mention of my hearts or healing in the combat text stream.
2) I had a hand of a diamond followed by two hearts, and the combat text stream told me that the power of the spades suit made it harder for the monster to hit me. I have also seen clubs reported when none were showing.
3) if I have a diamond showing, a camera will get zapped for 1 or more req. That seems to be the only suit that reliably shows its effect.

This it's my first time being a joker, and I am first level. Am I just missing something? I am in CAKE, could clan buffs be interfering?

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Wednesday, September 02 2015 @ 05:14 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Sillie

1) I have yet to see any mention of my hearts or healing in the combat text stream.
2) I had a hand of a diamond followed by two hearts, and the combat text stream told me that the power of the spades suit made it harder for the monster to hit me. I have also seen clubs reported when none were showing.
3) if I have a diamond showing, a camera will get zapped for 1 or more req. That seems to be the only suit that reliably shows its effect.

Okay so, like, I haven't played Joker in forever firstly, but how I believe it works is that once you get a buff that replaces your previous one.
So you get 2 hearts, then you heal or whatever until you get 3 of a kind. Once you get 3 diamonds or something you get the req thing. Then once you get 4 spades it's replaced with the defense.

I think. I'm not at all certain.

Either way, the main thing about Jokers is their random stats. The cards thing is just an added bonus. So... make sure you check your stats at every NewDay and also always read NewDay text. Always.

Profile Email
Denealus
 Saturday, September 05 2015 @ 04:14 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I haven't had any real difficulties with Joker Cards, but from my experience, the effects are as follows. Most suits have a minor and a major effect depending on which shows up:

Spades - You feel an aura of protection gathering around you!
Thanks to the power of the Spades suit, X is having trouble hitting you!

Clubs - You feel a burning energy in your muscles...
Thanks to the power of the Clubs suit, your attacks are more powerful!

Hearts - (Haven't noticed a minor effect from Hearts)
The mysterious power of your Hearts aura causes you to regenerate X hitpoints...

Diamonds - The reward hopper mounted to the closest camera is briefly enveloped in crackling green lightning. You step back and deftly catch x Requisition token(s) that clatters out of it, before heading straight back into the fight! (X is dependant on the amount of diamonds in hand)

When it triggers is kind of iffy. Some seem to trigger when they drop off, some when they come on. The actual named suits seem to either be set up from the post before (take two turns to kick in) or take a certain amount/time/position of that card to take effect. You are correct in that Diamonds are the most consistent. You can have multiple buffs trigger all at once too.

This is mostly from personal observation. I'll keep looking at effects but the "relic" of things appearing when none of that suit are showing may be a drop off effect.

Anyhow, if anyone else has corrections to my statements, then please let me know, but this has been my observation.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Sunday, September 06 2015 @ 02:19 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

There's no obvious code to cause results to lag behind the hand you hold. At a guess, this might be a side effect of the cache logic CMJ has used to tune the game's performance. If so, you're not going to be able to pin down much of a pattern, as the cache refreshes every few minutes depending on load.

In-game: When playing a Joker, I've found it's best to think like a Joker. Accept that your entire world is random. Nothing is predictable. Nothing. Live by intuition. Go with the flow. Take advantage when Chance is on your side, and don't stress when it isn't. On average, a larger hand of cards will help more, and more often. That's all a Joker really needs to know.

Profile Email
Proginoskes
 Friday, April 01 2016 @ 07:35 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Denealus

I haven't had any real difficulties with Joker Cards, but from my experience, the effects are as follows. Most suits have a minor and a major effect depending on which shows up:

Spades - You feel an aura of protection gathering around you!
Thanks to the power of the Spades suit, X is having trouble hitting you!

Clubs - You feel a burning energy in your muscles...
Thanks to the power of the Clubs suit, your attacks are more powerful!

Hearts - (Haven't noticed a minor effect from Hearts)
The mysterious power of your Hearts aura causes you to regenerate X hitpoints...

Diamonds - The reward hopper mounted to the closest camera is briefly enveloped in crackling green lightning. You step back and deftly catch x Requisition token(s) that clatters out of it, before heading straight back into the fight! (X is dependant on the amount of diamonds in hand)

When it triggers is kind of iffy. Some seem to trigger when they drop off, some when they come on. The actual named suits seem to either be set up from the post before (take two turns to kick in) or take a certain amount/time/position of that card to take effect. You are correct in that Diamonds are the most consistent. You can have multiple buffs trigger all at once too.

This is mostly from personal observation. I'll keep looking at effects but the "relic" of things appearing when none of that suit are showing may be a drop off effect.

Anyhow, if anyone else has corrections to my statements, then please let me know, but this has been my observation.

The "minor effect" appears when you have only one card of the suit, and don't have any effect. (Diamonds are the only suit that takes effect with a singleton.) For Diamonds, the value of X seems to vary between Y and Y squared, where Y is the number of Diamonds you have. (If you have four Diamonds, the minimum number of req you'll get is four, and the maximum is sixteen.) If there are similar reliable boundaries for the Hearts suit, I haven't noticed it.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.24 seconds
New Topic Post Reply