Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Perpetual Breaches.
 |  Printable Version
Zoo
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 05:53 PM UTC (Read 3062 times)  
Forum Newbie

Maybe I'm just being a whiner, but I'm finding it increasingly frustrating to not be able to go to any outpost north of IC. Lots of the regulars are throwing themselves at the breaches daily, burning through super and regular chronos, only to make a small dent in the problem.

I think a lot of people actually enjoy storying in outposts, but with New Home, Kitt, and IC being the only places to go, I feel like a lot more people aren't participating in anything but serious story in private places.

Which means fewer player interactions, and fewer people posting in places like Banter. Which creates a more sterile, less interesting environment. I know I get bored more easily.

I like to see who is online, but I can only do that in an outpost. It's annoying I to leave wherever I am, OST down south, then hike back up to wherever I was.

And if I'm the only one that feels this way, fine. But I've also heard from at least one new player that there is frustration about not being able to do the museum quest, which means no increase in backpack size.

The newer players are being prevented from experiencing what the game has to offer adventure-wise, which I can imagine would suck more fun out of gameplay.

When I first played, I never talked to anyone. If I couldn't have explored the island and done the quests and whatnot, I would have likely quit the game before I had a chance to actually become part of the community. Which means I never would have given all the money I have to buy SP. Which means less income to the game.

And where are all the titans? If all the outposts are breached, no titans can attack, so Tamar must be bored. And all the others that enjoy that sort of thing.

Is there anyway to reset them to a reasonable level of safety, like usual? One or two outposts breaching isn't a big thing, but if they all just cyclically breach all the time, no fun.

I know I'd rather burn my stamina exploring or fighting in the jungle on my terms, or building or something. Hitting H, D, H, D, H, D, G, D, G, D, H... is really boring.It starts to feel like banging your head against a brick wall.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 07:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed in the recurrence of breaches lately, too. It makes Dan Quests all the more difficult if you're jungling, then thrown into a breach and boated nearly immediately.

Are fewer people just playing the game anymore? It seems really odd. I mean, I can understand threat levels hiking up in the mornings, that's always been a thing, but I can single-handedly bring down an outposts threat level to "Minor Activity" from "Interesting Times" in an hour or two, and less than a day later I'm swimming in a breach again like nothing happened. Did dropping the spawn rate* some time ago make us lazy? The outposts were never meant to be defended by just one person.

Maybe more people don't know that fighting in the Jungle also helps during a breach? Fewer people reinforcing the walls?

*This is speculation on my part, but what I think happened the last time this became a serious issue.

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
JonT
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 07:51 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

This probably has a very minor effect on things in all (I just thought of this when I saw the "are less people jungling?" bit,)but we have entered a busier time of year for a lot of the younger islanders, including myself, I know that only makes up for a small portion but with a lot of college classes starting up this past month, and really it's hard to find time to island with classes and everything else going on. Again this is probably minimal effect but it could be a possible add-on to the lack of junglers problem..

Also, I really do sometimes find it annoying when I'll jungle through my chronos and I'll end up running out of stamina when I want to story in CC where my character primarily should be. The breaches end up being an annoyance so I end up spending most of my time in NewHome or IC. Even as a robot I don't really want to sit around and kill hundreds of monsters over the course of an hour or so just to story for maybe not even a half an hour before we move to my shop or somewhere where the threat level isn't climbing. I definitely see the issue but I don't think it's the game coding or mechanics as much as it's probably lack of actual gameplay among players.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 07:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: JonT

...but we have entered a busier time of year for a lot of the younger islanders, including myself...

You're absolutely right, I didn't think of that until after I posted. There always seems to be a bit of slowdown this time of year for that very reason, just like there's a pickup during the winter holidays and summer.

Profile Email
Sillie
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 08:21 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've been jungling at threatened outposts, especially Squat Hole, though it doesn't really seem to help. It seems to me that I need to be high level to go into a breach. If I'm below level 10, I'll get one-shotted by a high-level monster in spite of my debris thrower. I've heard people mention being in a breach at low levels, but I have no idea how they do that.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 08:24 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The spawn rate is tied to the number of active players who've logged in recently - but it doesn't take into account the players who no longer fight, and are just here to chat. I'll turn it down some more.

Profile Email Website
Zoo
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 08:41 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: CavemanJoe

The spawn rate is tied to the number of active players who've logged in recently - but it doesn't take into account the players who no longer fight, and are just here to chat. I'll turn it down some more.

Thank you, CMJ.

Profile Email
Widdershins
 Tuesday, September 22 2015 @ 09:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Ahehe, then the breaches were my fault. Been on vacation and had no time for fighting, but logged in daily anyway Mr. Green

Can you tie it to number of jungle fights or smth? The number exists somewhere in the Hall of Fame, anyway.

Quote by: Sillie

I've heard people mention being in a breach at low levels, but I have no idea how they do that.

Moar Drivekills = more attack & defence is the trick. Maxed out clan buffs help, too.

Profile Email
Lain
 Wednesday, September 23 2015 @ 12:14 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I never minded breaches--in fact they can be fun. But yes, the recent consistency was a little surprising. And it's a loop...more breaches in northern Outposts mean people play and jungle in southern ones, which lets the monster numbers get or stay high in northern ones...Though if they never breach, that's an experience the newer players will miss, as well.

Profile Email
Sexy
 Wednesday, September 23 2015 @ 03:05 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Lain

I never minded breaches--in fact they can be fun. But yes, the recent consistency was a little surprising. And it's a loop...more breaches in northern Outposts mean people play and jungle in southern ones, which lets the monster numbers get or stay high in northern ones...Though if they never breach, that's an experience the newer players will miss, as well.

As a northern-oriented player, I know what you mean. It was kinda cool being the lone savior of CC404 for a while, but it was a little obnoxious to see 14 people bumbling about in New Home while 2-3 players sweated it out on the mountaintop.

Profile Email
Lester Roquefort
 Wednesday, September 23 2015 @ 07:10 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I play "The Game" in bouts. I stop and let the map ambushes get my exp back to normal when i get stuck in a massive hole.

Which means i usually don't DK at all for half a year sometimes.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, September 23 2015 @ 04:37 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Zoo

I think a lot of people actually enjoy storying in outposts, but with New Home, Kitt, and IC being the only places to go, I feel like a lot more people aren't participating in anything but serious story in private places.

The answer to this (outpost storying where you aren't) was once the Comms Tent. Back in the day it was used fairly often. I think the main trouble now is, Banter is not available in the Tent. People like to socialize while they story.

There are other disadvantages to the Comms Tent, but those always existed. Being able to access the two Banter chat spaces just might get people reconsidering the Tent as at least a useful fallback option.

Profile Email
Kolojang
 Wednesday, September 23 2015 @ 07:10 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Just an idea, based on my own behavior. If the spawn rate is based on the amount of active players who log in, it might have to do with the recent removal of the player's list on the login page. I know that since it's gone, I've been logging in a few times just to check who's online, instead of just perusing the front page like I used to do. I can imagine that I'm not the only person who's doing that, so it probably skews the the numbers quite a bit.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Wednesday, September 23 2015 @ 07:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well for that, Ko, you can just go straight to www.improbableisland.com/list.php? without needing to log in. Smile I reset my bookmark there after the change.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, September 24 2015 @ 12:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Two ideas:

1) To deal with people who are just RPing rather than gaming, maybe you could have a story-teller setting? Where if you switch this on, you don't count towards breeches, and they don't affect you. Also titans would be invisible.
I'm not sure about this, it smells of exploit providing to me, even if I couldn't say exactly how.

2) Have a grace period so that once an outpost has been breeched and saved, it won't get cobbered again for at least a week say?

Would these help? This is a problem that comes up occasionally.

Profile Email
Denealus
 Saturday, September 26 2015 @ 03:12 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Quote by: Zoo

The answer to this (outpost storying where you aren't) was once the Comms Tent. Back in the day it was used fairly often. I think the main trouble now is, Banter is not available in the Tent. People like to socialize while they story.

There are other disadvantages to the Comms Tent, but those always existed. Being able to access the two Banter chat spaces just might get people reconsidering the Tent as at least a useful fallback option.

This is one part of it. The other part, at least for me, is I like the thematic buildings associated with each outpost and the ability to go in them now makes the comms tents a "lesser" option (though glad it's still available). It also used to be that sometimes the story leads out of the outpost or to a place nearby, which means it'd be good to be there, but with the lower price on OSTs, that's not an excuse not to tent first then OST over there when the story breaks.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 1.30 seconds
New Topic Post Reply