Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Questions I would ask the Watcher if she wasn't so scary.
 |  Printable Version
Kolojang
 Sunday, January 10 2016 @ 06:52 AM UTC (Read 2149 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

I've been wanting to do a thread like this for a while. So here's the theme of this thread. What...we won't call them plot holes, but rather..."unexplained features" about the Island's story tickles your curiosity? This is a place to ask these question, discuss your fan theory, and (maybe!) get official answers (wishful thinking).

Here's a few questions I would ask the Watcher or the NPCs in story if they could answer:

- Where do the crates come from? Wasn't the improbability bubble preventing non-living matter to pass through it? In the museum we see that the first helicopter sent there was transformed into what sounded like a flock of ducks (or it might have been duck shaped sentient slippers. The garbled cries of horror from the pilot do not offer too much detail on this). Have we been lied to? Did they dropped us from a plane stark naked just to get more ratings?

- This brings up the next question. Where is all the TV equipment coming from? All those camera. The screen in the Failboat. The presumably broadcasting stuff. The Failboat could have been left there from the earlier military station, but why did they have equipment to run a reality show there? Or is it the same thing as the previous question, and they lied about the bubble and just shipped those?

- Where does the staff comes from? I mean, I always thought that they were contestant that carved a niche for themselves and starting staffing shops, or even people sent there specifically for that. So that means they sent the entire Sheila's family? And what about poor Mister Stern? Did they drop an elderly man naked from a plane?

- A few questions about the birth control system thingy. Sure, it needs special surgery to turn on. But (spoiler alert) The Dancer doesn't have one because they were remade. Don't we get remade after every DK? The Drive rebuilds us in such a radically different way that the default response is to ask to have your whole life erased, but it leaves the testicular switch in place? How? Why!?

- And I think that's the last for now...what about (spoiler) children and grand-children of Budget Horse? Are they Drive creations then? Did the old coot hide a testicular wrench in the usual place when it got dropped from the plane? Would that keep the thing from changing? In fact, why didn't my testicular switch changed to a tapdancing bottle of chianti when it hit the bubble?

This is what I have for now. I feel like I should mention, this is all in good fun. I'm in no way critiquing the writing, and I'm not taking any of thins seriously. Some people seem to get worked up when things like this are mentioned, but all I want from this is a few laughs and a good discussion.

Profile Email
Sammi
 Sunday, January 10 2016 @ 10:27 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

The feature that has most bothered me is the "memory erasure". When our memory is wiped we retain clan membership and all the contacts we've made -- HOW?

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, January 11 2016 @ 10:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

How do those Failors get us to the Failboat so fast?!

What keeps Lions from tearing off entire limbs?!

How exactly are monsters controlled by Ranks? Is there some massive behind-the-scenes capture-and-release program to set the more difficult monsters on the veteran contestants?!

Quote by: Sammi

The feature that has most bothered me is the "memory erasure". When our memory is wiped we retain clan membership and all the contacts we've made -- HOW?

Same reason we get to keep our backpack full of unopened prezzies! Laughing Out Loud

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Pinrut
 Tuesday, January 12 2016 @ 09:55 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Theory time? I've got a few of those. Unfortunately I'm rubbish at forum posting, so pardon the mess that is to follow.

Kolojang:

1. I've always, or at least I'm pretended to have always, considered that the crates are dropped in the same way as requisition tokens. That is, in large enough bulk so that while most of them end up changing into something resembling a flying shoe or a vanilla sunday which is always screaming in Latin, enough of them manage to make it through untouched so that no one questions why there is an increase in the shoe population.

As to where they come from, I'd wager they're made in facilities owned by the Network off of the island. They're held up as incentive for viewers to donate to the show, so that more supplies can reach the island and hopefully get utilized by their favorite contestants. Further, if the previous 'in-bulk' explanation wasn't satisfying enough, perhaps the fact that the contents of a crate is random will be. What I mean by this, is that each crate is a poor example of Schrodinger's box, full of countless riches and completely empty all at the same time. No one can predict what they'll get when they pick up a crate, and perhaps that randomness allows them to pass through the bubble of chance untouched. Or, maybe going through the bubble is what jumbles up the contents in the crates, just as a sick joke for when a contestant finds a single ration pack in stead of a plethora of teleporters.

2. A fair portion of the equipment may have just been left on Island Four back before all that nasty business with the EMPs, being kept preserved by the already interesting conditions that the island possessed before the bubble even came to be. However, I'm more inclined to presume that most of the equipment isn't the fancy future tech that the world was robbed of, and instead the current present day gadgets that humanity has already recreated. Like the crates, it's possible that all the supplies needed to set everything up was airdropped in bulk over who knows how long until everything was ready for the show's premiere. Though, it's also fairly plausible that Chance worked in favor of the show, rather than against it, so a box of camera parts might have been opened to reveal already working cameras and the like.

3. It's actually a mixture of both! Havelock for example was totally a contestant who just got a raw deal and a piece of shrapnel, from dear Horatio, stuck in his leg. He mentions as much when you first meet him in his Museum! Maiko, the cook in Kittania, was also totally a contestant and still probably is despite her lack of apparent participation in the front lines of the war. You learn this about Maiko when you go to do her frying pan quest, as the Watcher mentions Maiko being popular and that she didn't want the Kittymorph's actual personality to be caught on film.

Still others, like Punishment and the Watcher herself, are likely to be actual employees of the Network. There are little hints in some of the dialogues they have with the player. As for other NPCs like shop keepers and town guards, it's probably fair to assume that they were contestants just like the rest of us at some point in the past. Only, just like most of us who have been around for long enough, they stop actually worrying about the war itself and move on to doing other things. Havelock runs a museum because that's what he did before the EMPs, Maiko teaches people to cook because that's something she feels is a valuable use of her time, and the guards likely keep watch because they'd rather do that than go hunting.

A lot of players take after the NPCs. Some open and run bars like Dan, others open training dojos, there are a fair few weapon vendors and mercenary types running around. In the end, why hire any actual employees to run the Island when anyone you send is more likely to go insane, and most of the people you send there end up filling out the roles you need filled of their own violation?

4. I don't really want to touch this one, but here's what I've considered. Most of the canon of the Island is about someone who isn't really any one of our characters. This contestant is someone who has, to the best of my recollection, never really had much going one when they weren't human. So it's possible that every bit of text we unlock is through this character's perspective all 'technically' before they even meet Horatio for the first time. Which could imply that the birth control systems are a factor of the world outside the Island, but not necessarily something that would be maintained within. But, all in all, I feel like it's only there just to remind people that birth and the like are possibly topics to avoid.

Sammi:

1. This is primarily explained in the text following a successful teatime with Horatio! It's a process that doesn't so much as erase your memories as it rewrites your memories so that your new body was always your body. Basically, it's a procedure to counter the mind breaking stress of waking up to realize you've been torn apart by the atoms and rebuilt as something else. Most people write this off as going back to start on the Island chapter of their character's lives, but mostly it's just supposed to be there so your character isn't aware they've changed.

Why clan membership retains? Well... My working theory is that Clans are joined by having specific brain parasites implanted. How else can you explain the impossibly powerful bonuses clans are able to provide? Prestige and a heightened effectiveness due to no wanting to shame your clan? I don't think so. Also, more realistically, it's because your character would still remember having entered the clan, only they remember them having entered as a Kittymorph instead of the Human they actually were when they were accepted.

Trowa:

1. Assuming there are cameras literally everywhere, and the Watcher is always Watching you in particular, it's quite likely that the moment you're about to lose a fight a call is sent out to any Retraining Personnel in the area to drag your sorry hide out of the fire. How they get you to the failboat so quickly though, maybe they don't. Maybe they wait until they've got a cart full of unconscious, Unworthy contestants before lazily rowing them off to be dumped on the boat to await their first adrenaline shot. Perception of time tends to be messy when you aren't awake, and once you're on the boat you're too hopped up on adrenaline to be trusted knowing what time it is. All you're giving is how much time it'll take until you're released back to the island.

2. I don't know about you, but I remember being drawn to the Island after seeing an ad about how someone lost a good deal of weight by having their legs eaten by a lion in the jungle. Perhaps it's foolish of me to do so, but I trust advertisements. Maybe the fault is on our own shoulders for not considering damage taken as anything more than a lower number on a health bar.

3. Drive Ranks are controlled, like all things, through chemicals! When you start a new loop of the island's cycle, the Watcher approaches you and asks you to pick a rank. If you pick anything other than Rank One, she injects you with a syringe that makes you weaker! So the increased difficulty is entirely because you willingly let her poison you for the glory and thrill of the challenge. Let alone those sweet, sweet ratings and gloating rights. The island as a whole, technically, doesn't change because of your choice, though it would be funny if things were more contrived than that.

Hope some of that made sense! My memory isn't the most reliable one, so I might be a bit off on some of the details, but most of the information was from things I remember reading in Island cut-scenes. Though, a lot of it was my own hypothesizing riding the back of those unreliable memories of actual written words.

Gosh that's a lot of text. Alright, I should end this post right and proper now. Though, may as well drop a quick question of my own.

- Where do you think the Titans come from anyway? They're impossibly large that you can see them even in the Deep Oceans where they spawn, but are they products of the amplified Chance within the bubble, or are they some strange ocean creature that slips into the bubble only to be horribly mutated? Are there actual Titans in the oceans that are just drawn to the Island without concern for Chance? What draws them to the Outposts?

- Foebots! What the heck is the deal with them, right? Should we just shrug and accept that new and more terrible threats can just pop in out of no where, or do these things have an origin? We've already had people reach the bottom of Down Below, so maybe they're just not spoiling the surprise, but someone's got to have made the first few of those things right? Any guesses on who?

- Do you ever look up into the night sky and wonder... why? Just, just why.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, January 17 2016 @ 08:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Trowa

How do those Failors get us to the Failboat so fast?!

The failors and the failboat and the whole network are downright sinister if you ask me. The way they can put you back together after you've been run over by panthzas or blown up by gunpowder or nitroglycerine? That's...impressive. It makes the job of ensuring you're still sterile after a round with Horatio look pretty straight forward really.

The real question is how come they get beaten into second place by the Squats who come and loot your hard-earned recker every time! Even if a contestant happens to fall in the middle of the lake, or even out at sea. I'm working on a theory that the Skronkys have some sort of submersible that they launch off the Squat Hole docks, but I can't work out how it's made or what it looks like. This is of course personal head canon.

Profile Email
Sammi
 Sunday, January 17 2016 @ 08:31 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

While some f the locations are hard to account for, I'd assuned the squats were everywhere and we just didn't notice them.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, January 18 2016 @ 07:56 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I've always imagined the Squats collect the req only because the Retraining Personnel let them. I mean, sure, sometimes they probably do get there first. But I bet it's Her orders - no bringing req to the Failboat. So if the failors arrive first they're supposed to loot you themselves and drop the req for Squats to find. Or anyone, really, especially if they've got a Spatial implant, but the Squats pick up most of it.

There are other amazingly efficient staff on the Island. What about the giftstation delivery service? And Suzie's lads who pick up her rented toolkits?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.31 seconds
New Topic Post Reply