Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Still in the same sinking boat
 |  Printable Version
Lea.wolfsfeld
 Wednesday, February 17 2016 @ 06:41 PM UTC (Read 1363 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

For those of you that don't know, I'm in quite a pickle and I need some serious advice

I'm currently not in work and I'm not allowed to work either. We're currently living on my housemate's student loan but that isn't stretching far enough. We need help and we need it pretty soon. Been looking around to see who we can talk to about improving our situation but we're not the brightest folks and advice groups are hard to get in contact with and often have only 'helped' by offering to help with setting up job applications despite us already having help with doing that.

How we're managing so far:

Eating as cheaply as possible
Getting our broadband covered by someone else
Selling off personal effects as need be. (this has only been done with the things that won't drop our quality of life significantly.)
using as little fuel as possible and cutting down on water usage
buying food at discount
making use of foodbank (when allowed)

We're still coming up short so if you know of ways that we could possibly get help in the UK or other tricks to help us spread our remaining funds out for longer, please let me know.

If you need more details regarding my situation, please reach me at lea.wolfsfeld@gmail.com.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Thursday, February 18 2016 @ 05:08 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I wish I could contribute something constructive, but my advice isn't going to count for much, because here I am in Canada with no clue what prices are like in the UK. Or what you need, or what your food restrictions might be. And you're already eating as cheaply as you can.

There are blogs and such. If you haven't seen it before... this one might have some ideas for you: http://cookingonabootstrap.com/ Or, you could look at the sites listed here: http://moneyaware.co.uk/2013/05/frugal-friends-20-brilliant-moneysaving-blogs/

Good luck to you. Hang in there - I hope your fortunes improve very soon!

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, February 21 2016 @ 03:12 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I appreciate that this advice will probably be unwelcome but...

Find a church.
Preferably one that is affiliated with CAP (Christians against Poverty) or linked to the food bank you have used.
Hopefully you will be able to find people there willing to provide you with practical help.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Sunday, February 21 2016 @ 03:42 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Also, is there anyone on your housemate's course that they can carpool with to cut down on transport costs?

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.20 seconds
New Topic Post Reply