Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Sending Hunter's Lodge items to my own alt
 |  Printable Version
Iriana
 Monday, July 18 2016 @ 03:03 AM UTC (Read 2320 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have a very shiny but now unnecessary HyperRing that I'd like to pass on to my alternate character, since I keep forgetting about him until I want to write as him, which sometimes can be as long as the account-expiration time. I've donated under my main character's name, but not under the alt's.

Selecting the alt's name in the Gifting Station gets the usual message of "Sorry - you can't send gifts to yourself, or to someone using the same computer or network". I understand this for non-Lodge items, but is there a way I could transfer the Ring, given that I can't purchase a new one for my alt and it now doesn't do anything on my main?

What about other Lodge items, such as character customization things? If I had a lot of name changers sitting in my main character's bag but decided to create an alternate character, would I be able to send one to that alt?

Profile Email
Zoinks
 Monday, July 18 2016 @ 09:17 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

The most common practice for this is just asking a friend to transfer stuff over for you.

Since Hunter's Lodge items are free to send, you're really not burdening people doing such. Except maybe their spending a little bit of time on you. But our crowd doesn't much mind things like that, it seems.

I'll even offer, here, to forward the ring or anything else you never over. Just lemme know the name of the alt.

Note: As far as I know, this isn't discouraged. Mods seem cool with it, and such.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, July 19 2016 @ 06:50 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

The original rationale for the giftstation not allowing transfers to alts was to preserve the DK requisition reset, which is meant to keep the game's economy from spiraling out of control. Without a block on self-gifting, players could have used an alt to bypass the DK reset by stashing away items with a high req value, then transferring them back afterwards.

We all know it didn't work that way. Players just said, "Fine, if I can't transfer through an alt, I'll do it through a friend." CMJ kind of foresaw this, except he also wanted to encourage players to reach out and help each other, and he figured it was worth the price. (Even with self-gifting blocked, the minute eBoy items were made giftable to anyone the DK req-reset was already doomed! But, hey. The economy isn't everything.) That decision was long ago. It's not going to change now. Gifting of eBoy items is deeply embedded in the culture of the community, and I would say CMJ was right: the built-in incentive to interact with other players has been a net positive.

But why can't the giftstation let you transfer Lodge items? Those are really bought by the player, not the character, and it would make plenty of sense to let players use them freely for whichever of their characters they choose.

The answer isn't really "it can't be done" but rather, "it would be more complicated than you'd think." Which, with the demands on CMJ's time, really translates into "not going to happen." (It's complicated = the time-cost is high. There's a known workaround involving other players = the urgency is low.)

Profile Email
Matthew
 Tuesday, July 19 2016 @ 08:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The thing is, people who want to get around that limitation will do so anyway.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, July 19 2016 @ 09:30 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Matthew

The thing is, people who want to get around that limitation will do so anyway.

Exactly so. They get around it by interacting with other players, which on the whole makes the Island a better place.

In case there's any ambiguity: you'll see no mod frowny-faces about people doing that.

You're just (probably) not going to see the code modified to exempt Lodge items.* The combination of "hey, at least it's doing some good as an incentive," and the "it's more complicated than you'd think" factor, and the many other demands on CMJ's time, mean that this has got to be way, way down on the to-do list.

===
* Though, as always, I have no inside information about what CMJ is going to choose to do next. All I can give you is my best guess, based on what I know about the existing codebase, and what my priorities would be if I had to make the decision. CMJ's decisions are usually better than mine -- and the only reason I'm saying usually instead of always is that I have to preserve some rationale for holding forth like this. Wink

Profile Email
Iriana
 Tuesday, July 19 2016 @ 11:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You're just (probably) not going to see the code modified to exempt Lodge items.* The combination of "hey, at least it's doing some good as an incentive," and the "it's more complicated than you'd think" factor, and the many other demands on CMJ's time, mean that this has got to be way, way down on the to-do list.

Oh, that's okay. I posted mainly because I wanted to know the accepted way to accomplish this. Thanks, everyone! It seems like the user-tested, mod-approved cereal solution is "Ask a friend for help", when it comes to Lodge stuff.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.51 seconds
New Topic Post Reply