Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Monthly memento idea
 |  Printable Version
Alpharius
 Thursday, October 20 2016 @ 03:33 PM UTC (Read 2852 times)  
Forum Newbie

I was going through the old monthly memeento's, when I found that some of them I would really like to buy, but physically can't, due to them not being available. My idea was that people who donated enough to get a monthly memento can purchase all of the previous mementos. Please answer as I would like to know what the admins and mods think of it.

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Thursday, October 20 2016 @ 08:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Hello! This was actually addressed in another thread not too far away from this one: http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=34155

TL;DR version is: Don't expect to see them ever again, and in fact, CMJ is eventually going to take down the old ones from the Hunter's Lodge.

Seems like he's made up his mind on it, too, so I don't know how much we the players can appeal this. I, personally, would love to be able to buy the mementos I've missed over the last two years, but it's probably just never going to happen. Frown

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Alpharius
 Wednesday, October 26 2016 @ 11:52 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I did read that thread before this one, but I was thinking that perhaps only donaters could get them, perhas with additional donations. I know it's not likely, but I would love the haunted socket, so I can start making my places more extravagant.

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Wednesday, October 26 2016 @ 04:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ah, I think I'm starting to get the idea? Old Monthly Mementos (MM's) were originally going into the Hunter's Lodge, where you can only purchase them with Supporter Points, which you only get from donating (or other obscure methods that generally revolve around donating).

However, and maybe I'm speculating on your idea here, what if you could purchase old MM's only when you donate to get this month's MM? Kind of like how you get the option to refill all your Chronospheres instantly only when you buy a new one.

So, for example, you donate $10 today for the Cabinet of Unspeakable Horrors, then donate another $10 (or $20 or whatever) and a screen pops up giving you an option to select any previous MM (maybe even with a count of how many you already have of each). So, for $30, I could get this month's MM and, say, the March Hare, but that would be my only opportunity.

I could see how it would require reprogramming the donation screen, though, because right now it's very instantaneous: donate sum through PayPal, MM appears in inventory. No room for a second screen to pop up and offer anything else, without some rejiggering of the donation method. (Incidentally, I have seen sites where you go through a whole separate screen to select donation amount and rewards before you hit the PayPal button, so CMJ would need to implement something like that, throwing off his whole streamlined donation process.)

[Also, I feel like this thread should probably just be combined with the other topic since they are essentially asking for the same thing. ::shrug::]

Profile Email
Alpharius
 Thursday, October 27 2016 @ 03:26 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

YES! That is something like what I was thinking, it would mean that if you made a bigger donation, you would be able to get morerewards. Mr. Green

Profile Email Website
Count Sessine
 Thursday, October 27 2016 @ 06:23 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm an old programming warhorse, yeah. So Trowa got me thinking about the technical side of how it could be done without requiring a huge rewrite of the donation process:

For the player, it would involve making a second donation of a qualifying size, within one month. At the point in the code where the monthly memento is being awarded, there is already a check to see if you currently have one. (The only way right now to be awarded a second copy of this month's memento is to give away the first one.) Under that 'else' section, an indicator could be set for your character. The bigger change would be in the Lodge code. There would need to be logic to offer past monthly mementos, but only to characters who have that indicator on. Buying one would turn the character's indicator off again.

That said -- as an incentive to donate this month? the monthly memento works on the principle of "Donate now! This is your one and only chance to get this!"

The trouble with implementing any path to obtaining any past mementos, is that people will tell themselves, "Oh well, I can always pick up this month's memento later." So they don't donate. Not only that, for too many of them... 'later' never comes.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, October 27 2016 @ 09:22 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I've been thinking about this; I might try creating a feature that lets players buy Monthly Mementos that were around before their character was registered. That'd make the old ones accessible without taking away from the immediacy of the whole Monthly Memento concept (which is why the "selling the old ones" thing ended up costing us money).

Profile Email Website
Matthew
 Friday, October 28 2016 @ 01:36 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

1. Create new alt
2. donate for monthly memento
3. send monthly memento to main

Sorry.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Friday, October 28 2016 @ 02:10 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

1. Create new alt
2. donate for monthly memento
3. send monthly memento to main

Sorry.

Step 4: Profit (for CMJ)

What's the downside?

Profile Email
Matthew
 Friday, October 28 2016 @ 02:32 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Because it's just being able to buy past mementos with extra steps? I don't see the point.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, October 28 2016 @ 03:11 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Matthew, whose post were you replying to?

EDIT: Oh, I get ya. Yup, that won't work. This is my brain on fatherhood.

Step 5: Program it such that Monthly Mementos purchased from the Lodge (rather than given as a bonus for a donation) can't be gifted. A blunt instrument, but perhaps effective?

Profile Email Website
Trowa
 Friday, October 28 2016 @ 03:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Matthew

Because it's just being able to buy past mementos with extra steps? I don't see the point.

Because presumably only the people that are actually going to spend money on old Monthly Mementos would go through the hassle, while new players that didn't have the opportunity to buy certain MM's in the first place can take advantage of the immediate availability. Also, vets with tons of spare SP laying around (myself included) won't be able to just spend it on convenient MM's in the Lodge; they'd have to actually donate with this method.

Incidentally, I'm not entirely convinced adding MM's the Lodge was the disaster CMJ says it was, but I don't have the full picture. As far as I'm aware, only a handful of "old" MM's were ever put in the Lodge, and those are now almost two years old. CMJ has basically said the re-introduction of those old MM's resulted in a sharp drop in donations. I just don't know how he came to the conclusion that correlation equals causation here? Presumably people grew complacent and didn't donate because "it'll be in the Lodge later" (even though the MM's in the Lodge cost twice as much as they did in the month they were released, and I've never seen more MM's released to the Lodge since the first and only time, so I don't know why people kept perpetuating the rumor that more were coming?), and maybe it's like I said above: vets with tons of spare SP just bought up the ones they wanted without donating for them at the same time?

BUT, I hope this gives him some food for thought when Season 3 comes around and he's working out what to do with all the SP he said he'd give back to players that donated during Season 2. I remember an old thread somewhere around here where someone pointed out some players have single-handedly donated hundreds (if not thousands?) of dollars over the years, and I can easily see these same altruistic players thinking they're doing a good thing by spending their sudden-excess-wealth of Season 3 SP and scattering S3-equivalent-Lodge-items to the wind for everyone else to gather and not spend their own money on.

....and beaten by the man himself just before I hit "Submit." Oh well. Confused

Profile Email
Widdershins
 Saturday, November 19 2016 @ 12:26 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I so want the Heart-Warming Bauble just for its Heart-Warming flavor text.

What about this idea:
Each month (or special even months) the person who donates the largest sum gets to choose a past MM. Only one person gets one Memento per month. That could actually increase donations by starting an auction-like bidder race. And past MMs would be rare, expensive and hard to get, so it wouldn't discourage monthly donations. And those crazy about past MMs would stand at least a teeny-weeny chance to get their coveted item.

(2 am idea not tested for feasibility.)

Profile Email
Widdershins
 Saturday, November 19 2016 @ 01:06 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Widdershins
(or special even months)

Oh, a tiny t missing causes a great distortion of meaning: Special event months.

I'm aware it's the Baubles unavailability which makes me covet it so much.
And that any later availabilty would dull the covetous impulse to donate today.
And that I could find someone for a perma-swap.
But this is your chance to make me happily donate more money Smile

Profile Email
Snow Gray
 Thursday, December 01 2016 @ 08:03 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I like the idea of receiving a second older one if you donate an additional $10+ - maybe it could be the previous year's for that month, or a more random one? So you still have incentive to donate / check back in regularly because it's only THIS month you can get X old memento.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.12 seconds
New Topic Post Reply