Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Images and Math: Chat Features I'd Like to See
 |  Printable Version
Full Metal Lion
 Tuesday, November 29 2016 @ 02:17 AM UTC (Read 550 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A while ago, it occurred to me: "You know what I'd like to do? Post images in Banter". Then I spent about a month trying to figure out a way that that feature wouldn't be a terrible idea. Here's what I have so far:

The Hunter's Lodge could have an item called the "Camera", which you would have to purchase to post images in Banter. I picture it as one of those old-timey plate cameras, like this. If we want to put some sort of limit on picture malarkey, I suppose the Lodge could also sell photographic plates or film for cobblestones and/or SP. Then typing the command /image in a chat box would bring up a file dialog to pick a picture from your computer. /image url would simply hotlink an image from the internet, and perhaps /image filepath could take a file from your computer. Then chat would display the message, eg, "Full Metal Lion posted an image [show]", and the user would click that message to show or hide the image. The image would be scaled by css to be no wider than its container, and no taller than something reasonable, like 256px. Uploaded images would be kept around until the chat message was deleted, or after a certain number of days. Ideally, the original filename would be kept, but this may be more trouble than it's worth.

I also spent about 5 minutes learning TeX this month, and I am gripped with the desire to use it in chat. It seems like it would be pretty painless to install MathJax and set it to use the in-line delimiters `{ and `}, but some consideration would have to be put towards making it play well with auto-update. I would be willing to pay for an item to do this ("the mathematician's pencil"? "the cast metal sort"?) but it seems like this would be an antifeature; anyone can type `{ and `} now, so you'd have to put deliberate time into making the feature stop working for people who haven't bought the item.

I don't think these are suitable candidates for one-off Monthly Mementos, because they're so cool that people would want to buy them in the future, and even people who haven't joined the game yet will want them eventually.

Profile Email Website
Sash
 Tuesday, November 29 2016 @ 03:39 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Camera +1, Like, uh... Retweet!
Would be a neat and likely profitable feature.

Profile Email
Akogi
 Wednesday, November 30 2016 @ 01:45 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm sure if the island started to host images I'm sure that would open up some questions such as how long would the server hold onto the image, how large of images would you allow people to upload, how would you pay for the extra storage space on the servers and then there would be legal questions to answer in case someone decided to upload images that are illegal to host. Not to mention programming the site to handle the uploading of images. It sounds like an interesting idea but it's probably not worth the headache on implementing and then dealing with the outcome.

Why would you want a post in chat to include TeX? Sure it makes whatever you write with it look beautiful, a comic about programming languages that points that out, but I don't see the need to write math in chat. I can understand if you used it in a description for a page in a dwelling but not chat.

Profile Email
Matthew
 Wednesday, November 30 2016 @ 03:14 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Doesn't seem worth the bother when it's so easy to just upload something to imgur and then post the link.

Profile Email
Full Metal Lion
 Monday, December 05 2016 @ 07:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Akogi: I feel like I addressed some of these concerns in my musings, some of them are best addressed by CMJ due to his special knowledge on the issue, and some of them are not in fact very concerning. Regarding TeX in Places: I had not considered that, but it seems like another good use of the thing.

Matthew: Maybe it's just me, but doing that breaks the flow of my Island experience. I have to go to a new tab and load some other website and forget what I was doing. I would prefer instead to be able to post images to chat directly. It's not really important, of course, but I think it would be pretty cool.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.29 seconds
New Topic Post Reply