Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Places > Places: General New Topic Post Reply
 The Tesseract Maze
 |  Printable Version
Wongo the Sane
 Tuesday, October 24 2017 @ 02:23 PM UTC (Read 406 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

Greetings place builders.
I've been toying for a couple of years now with the idea of building a tesseract maze. Since my day-job at the moment involves large amounts of standing around waiting, I'm starting to look at making this dream a reality.

The maze will involve a fairly small number of cubical rooms, all of which can be entered with any surface being the floor and with any resulting wall being North.

One way to make this work in practice is to build 24 place rooms per maze room; but that's far too much work and I'd like to keep each maze room's chatspace consistent. It will more likely involve memories, pages, and lots of programming. But I have questions before I start trying to implement this...

1) Can you build multiple doors linking the same two rooms, but with different names?
2) Does each page come with its own programming grid?

I'll probably come up with lots more questions as (if) the project progresses...

Profile Email
csodalatos
 Wednesday, October 25 2017 @ 05:11 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm 70% sure about the doors. As far as programs go, you get one program grid per Place for free; additional ones cost SP, but you can associate multiple programs with a room or a page if you so desire.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Thursday, October 26 2017 @ 10:12 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Thanks Csodalatos

I've been tinkering around and I've learned a few things - like that programs linked to a page don't seem to fire because of 'show page' contraptions.

I am going to need all the programming grids...

Speaking of which;
Question 3) When you add a column to a programming grid, do you get to choose which side of the grid it goes on? Ie: before or after the check to see if the contraptions passed or not.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, October 26 2017 @ 08:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I can help with that one. Sadly no. They always go on the left. Frown Being able to have a double escape hatch would be unbelievably useful.

And yes. Show page just shows the page. To run the programs you need a Run Program gadget.

Profile Email
csodalatos
 Thursday, October 26 2017 @ 10:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Yes, it would be tremendously useful to have more than one row in the Escape Hatch. I'll second what Hairy Mary's said about the Run Program contraption -- I don't know if this will be useful to you, but I found it useful to put the program that I wanted to run off a page on that page, including the SHOW PAGE contraption (i.e. on the page that I wanted to display, there was a contraption telling the Place to show that very page). Then, in the main room, in whatever context that I would've used that SHOW PAGE originally, I instead used a RUN PROGRAM (which pointed to the Page's program, thereby displaying it as well as running any subsequent effects).

This worked for me, because I wasn't doing much more than displaying a page, suppressing the regular room text, and potentially locking/unlocking some doors. I can see how this might be a problem if you build your place so that sometimes you show the page based on a program, and sometimes directly click on the page (thereby running the program attached to the page, possibly when you don't want to). Either way, I suspect it will take a fair amount of RUN PROGRAMs in your future, and extra grids.

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Friday, October 27 2017 @ 12:45 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Oh yes...
Preliminary estimates say between 400 & 450 grids - many with extra rows. So about 12000 supporter points...

Is it weird that's not as bad as I'd feared?

Thanks for the pro-tips :-)

Profile Email
csodalatos
 Friday, October 27 2017 @ 10:54 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

Preliminary estimates say between 400 & 450 grids - many with extra rows. [snip]
Is it weird that's not as bad as I'd feared?

Rethinking that 'sane' epithet, are we? Big Grin

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Saturday, October 28 2017 @ 11:41 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Well they do say that the line between madness and genius is very narrow...

Profile Email
Wongo the Sane
 Saturday, October 28 2017 @ 02:22 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

New question:

Is there a way to have a program that runs automatically in every room in your place?
Or am I going to need an even bigger stack of 'Run Program' contraptions that I though?

EDIT: To be fair, it's only six more.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, October 29 2017 @ 09:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well they do say that the line between madness and genius is very narrow...

The border between Russia and China is narrow, doesn't mean that any point in one is close to the other... Wink

Also, as regards your other post, this may be of interest.

Profile Email
Trowa
 Monday, November 20 2017 @ 09:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

New question:

Is there a way to have a program that runs automatically in every room in your place?
Or am I going to need an even bigger stack of 'Run Program' contraptions that I though?

EDIT: To be fair, it's only six more.

That's what I do: I have a universal program in my places for deleting everything in the story channel, and put the Run Program at the start of every programming grid in every room. ...that was back when you could get a free program grid for every room you built. *wistful sigh*

If there's a better way, I'd love to know, myself!

EDIT: ...and then I actually read Hairy Mary's link and realized we're all describing the same thing. Oops. Laughing Out Loud Oops!

Something something unintelligible gibberish something.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.06 seconds
New Topic Post Reply