Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Everything Else New Topic Post Reply
 Coffer status
 |  Printable Version
Hermein
 Wednesday, February 04 2009 @ 04:34 PM UTC (Read 1482 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I see the new text block over on the side of the main game window with the "Improbable Island coffer status" and the note about McDonalds, and I have to say that I'm not at all happy with that. The first coffer I ever tried was from McDonalds, and it nearly put me off coffer forever. It wasn't until a friend of mine (brother-in-law, actually) brewed me up some proper, freshly ground coffer, made in a proper coffer-pot, that I started to like it. Now, of course, I drink a couple of cups a day, but I never go to McDonalds for it.

Wait, what? No, I thought coffer was a British-ism for coffee. It means something else? Oh, hah. Well, never mind then.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 04 2009 @ 04:36 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

It was broken for a while last night - turned out the settings entries wanted dollar amounts, not donator point amounts. So I was telling it "I'd like a hundred thousand dollars a month, please. Also my server bill runs to nearly twenty grand." That's why it was at negative 16% all night (it's just at negative 5% right now).

Hell, I'd work at McDonalds for a hundred grand a month. I'd be the guy who goes around collecting semen samples from the animals at the zoo for that kind of money.

(apparently the orang-utans are the worst, because they always want a cuddle afterwards)

Profile Email Website
Hermein
 Wednesday, February 04 2009 @ 06:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Right, then, now that I've had my morning cup of coffer, let me see if I understand how this works. The red bar is there to indicate how well we're doing at paying for - something. Server costs? And it is red because as of now we've not raised anything towards February, and are still trying to make up the shortfall for January? If we can make the bar turn blue, we can all level up?

BTW, before asking these silly questions I actually went to Dragonprime and tried to find the module that you're using, but I couldn't locate one that matched exactly. I did find 'donation0', which looked like it might have been something related but a lot more primitive. . .

Profile Email
Drakonritter
 Wednesday, February 04 2009 @ 07:12 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

It's a former core mod, called "Fund Drive Indicator" (funddrive.php).

And I thought the British called coffee 'swill'.

Hermein can summarize, "Look at Windows, but don't touch. Recommend Windows only to your enemies."

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, February 04 2009 @ 08:20 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Maybe I should change the text to "Tea Chest."

Here's how it works.

The donation bar starts out each month with a negative value of $174.00. The maximum positive value for the bar, per month, is equal to what the average American McDonald's cashier makes in one month of working eight hours a day, five days a week, using data taken from the US bureau of labour statistics and rounded to the nearest dollar. I chose this amount 'cause... well, the Island is a full-time job for me now, and it'd be nice if it paid like a full-time job, even a low-paying one. I acknowledge that that's unlikely, given that we only have a thousand players - and I acknowledge also that very few McDonalds cashiers work full-time, and I also acknowledge that I spend a lot more than 40 hours a week on the Island - but it's a goal to work towards, which is something that I lacked before.

So, right now it says negative five per cent. Once it reaches zero per cent, the Island doesn't cost me any money. Once it reaches twenty per cent, I'll figure out a nice reward - same for 40, 60, 80 and 100 per cent. The value isn't clever - it's just taking the data for this calendar month. So if, a week into the month, the bar reads 50%, then I'm actually doing twice as well as a McDonald's cashier, not half.

There is a module that will automatically dole out rewards, but I haven't activated it because I want to make different rewards, at different levels, to what it currently has on offer (for example, the default one gives extra forest fights and free healing - I'll want it to give out consumable items, open up seperate shops etc). Of course, the rewards will likely be hooked into Stamina, so that's something for S2 (next month, with any lot of hard work and more than a little bit of luck), so the rewards module will need some quite extensive rewriting.

Profile Email Website
crashtestpilot
 Monday, February 09 2009 @ 10:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

It was broken for a while last night - turned out the settings entries wanted dollar amounts, not donator point amounts. So I was telling it "I'd like a hundred thousand dollars a month, please. Also my server bill runs to nearly twenty grand." That's why it was at negative 16% all night (it's just at negative 5% right now).

Hell, I'd work at McDonalds for a hundred grand a month. I'd be the guy who goes around collecting semen samples from the animals at the zoo for that kind of money.

(apparently the orang-utans are the worst, because they always want a cuddle afterwards)

Which is why "Eddie and Me," which featured the massive helper-orangutan starring opposite an apparently ageless Tilda Swinton attracted the highest ratings, before Improbable Island was picked up by MSNBCNN. In the before-time. In the long, long-ago.

~CTP

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.18 seconds
New Topic Post Reply