Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Equipment Ideas New Topic Post Reply
 One Armed Bandit Bug?
 |  Printable Version
Dutchdoor
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 12:42 AM UTC (Read 3909 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Just wondering. I gave the slots a whirl in the Spiderkitty, and got the three spiderkitties twice but got no ciggies for it. The descriptive words ("Spiderkitty symbol," or whatever it says), was not a different color than the normal text those times. There were other times that the word wasn't a different color too, but it only affected the winning outcome those two times when I got all three the same. Not sure if this is a bug or if those are meant to be different symbols that just don't win anything.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 02:04 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I wrote the Bandit just today, so it's likely that there are some bugs - although I can't for the life of me figure out why it wouldn't award a prize. If it happens again, take a screencap and send it to me.

Slightly odd behaviour from the Bandit is to be expected sometimes. There are Secret Mechanisms inside that can make it do funny things when it's either overflowing with ciggies or low on them. Smile With a little observant practice, you should be able to figure out when the machine is ready to pay out, and when it's better to walk away.

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 04:16 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Oh, and something I forgot to mention.

I'm gonna get up on my high horse here, for a moment, to say this: don't gamble with real-life money. The odds are always against you. Study the virtual, no-stakes machine I've made, and do the math, and you'll see.

In England, we have a very lax attitude towards gambling. Seaside arcades have 2p pushers with little steps in front of them so smaller children can reach the coin slots. Fruit machines in pubs are frequently set on 30p play, with a 35 jackpot. 30p a go might not sound like high-stakes gambling, but when you realise that you can get rid of a quid in about five seconds in an environment where people are generally at least a little bit tipsy, it starts to look like a bit of a monumental fuckup of an idea.

I speak as someone who's finally set off on the long road towards recovering from a gambling problem (that I didn't even realise I had until very recently - sneaks up on ya like that): stick to the 2p pushers and 10p fruities, mate. When those coins fall into the payout slot, it's a thrill. It's just as much a thrill as when you hit the jackpot on a 30p pub fruit machine, because you're not really playing for the money. You're playing for the buzz, and that's an important thing to remember.

Conversely, when you open your wallet for another tenner to break behind the bar and find yourself a little short because you gave it all away to a fruit machine, you feel terrible. Angry with yourself, remorseful, guilty. Don't even think about trying to estimate how much money you've lost in those flashy bastards over the years, 'cause it'll end up very depressing.

But... when you realise that you've spent five whole pounds (gasp!) entertaining 2p pushers and lovingly-preserved mechanical one-armed bandits for an hour in a seaside arcade with the woman you love on a sunny afternoon... Well, that doesn't feel so bad. Winning feels just as good, but even losing is still fun.

Low-stakes gambling is always a bloody fantastic way to spend an hour, whether you win or lose. That's why I've set up a one-armed bandit in the Prancing SpiderKitty, and that's why I'm going to make some other games of chance to put in the Joker city. Because it's fun, and it doesn't hurt anyone.

But gambling with real money, amounts of money that would actually make a difference to your life... People kill themselves because of it. All the time. All over the world. Realise when you're starting down the road to becoming one of them, and get your ass to a seaside arcade instead, they're much more fun.

Apologies for the serious post. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled silliness.

Profile Email Website
Benni K Rok
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 02:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

After coming to Japan and seeing how simple the yen system is, even compared to the dollars and cents of the US, I still sometimes wonder how the UK does it with their Pounds, Quids, and Pence (pense?).

Profile Email
Globbo
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 03:22 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

What is this doing under Equipment Ideas?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 03:48 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

What the bloody hell is this doing under Equipment Ideas, Dutchdoor? Razz

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: capn cheesecake
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 03:53 PM UTC  

Quote by: Dutchdoor

Just wondering. I gave the slots a whirl in the Spiderkitty, and got the three spiderkitties twice but got no ciggies for it. The descriptive words ("Spiderkitty symbol," or whatever it says), was not a different color than the normal text those times. There were other times that the word wasn't a different color too, but it only affected the winning outcome those two times when I got all three the same. Not sure if this is a bug or if those are meant to be different symbols that just don't win anything.

same problem happened with me. however after the first go it seemed to fix itself.

also, i wondered what would happen if i donated all my cigarettes and then gambled, at first it went to minus 1, then it stopped decreasing. so simply by perserverence (waiting for a big win combination) i was able to win 20 or so cigarettes.

CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 04:45 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Yup, that bug's been fixed. I forgot to check whether or not the player actually had any cigarettes to put in the machine. D'oh!

Profile Email Website
Lasbrook
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 07:09 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Actually, i got something rather similar.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d23/Lasbrook/bandit.jpg
Went two more times after that but nothing eventful happened.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, March 31 2008 @ 09:43 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

OK. Found the bug, squashed it, reinstalled.

The problem did only affect people on their first couple of spins. Hopefully this little update will sort it.

Keep in mind that the behaviour of this bandit changes according to its payout history, so for the couple of hundred plays or so it's going to be very erratic (ridiculously generous followed by ridiculously stingy) because it doesn't have any history. It'll settle down as people play it.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous Person
 Wednesday, September 17 2008 @ 08:56 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Benni+K+Rok

After coming to Japan and seeing how simple the yen system is, even compared to the dollars and cents of the US, I still sometimes wonder how the UK does it with their Pounds, Quids, and Pence (pense?).

We used to have shillings, ha'pennies, tuppence and guineas too, on top of thatBig Grin

Profile Email
Anonymous: not so anonymous person
 Friday, September 19 2008 @ 11:15 AM UTC  

don't forget the farthing, and on another topic you have those silly forthnights. and you americans out there have a silly system for warmth with your nonsensical farenheits.

stop playing silly buggers.

english people: get metric (and accept the euro Razz)
american people: Go Celsius and stop invading countries

this is my decree

gracefully yours,

a dutch person

Hairy Mary
 Sunday, September 21 2008 @ 08:06 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Er, you do realsie that 'pounds' and 'quids' are the same thing? Similar to 'dollars' and 'bucks'.
We used to have half crowns and even soverins. Bonus brownie points to anyone who's got a clue how much they're worth (or even how to spell them.)

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 21 2008 @ 01:52 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I don't know whether this is just Manchester Nanas who do this and I've just picked up the habit, but when it's cold we talk in Celsius (it's bloody minus one out there!) and when it's hot we talk in Fahrenheit (it's eighty degrees, I'm sweating cobs!).

Let's not forget Stones, too. A stone is fourteen pounds, but only when you're talking about people (I bet that bloke's eighteen stone or more).

Not sure how I feel about the metric system, mostly because the measures themselves seem to be terribly arbitrary (I'm sorry, but I'm six feet tall, not 1.83 meters - having said that, I'm more comfortable with weight (for things, not creatures) in kilos, so long as they don't go above those weird little tonnes versus proper meaty tons) and it only reinforces the silly idea some evil bastard once had (who looked down at his hands and said "let's use these sticky-outy bits as the base of our number system!") to use base-10.

HIGH HORSE. One of the reasons we use weird numbers in our measurements (14 pounds to the stone, 12 pence to the shilling, 12 inches to the foot and so on) because we use a base-10 numbering system, and in a base-10 numbering system twelve can be equally divided down to three (2 divisions), where ten can only be divided down to five (one division). Of course, it's also quite possible, nay likely, that we started using those weird numbers so that only smart people could figure them out, and thus rip off the poor, dumb or gullible, but I digress.

In a base-eight (or "Octal") numbering system, maths is far easier. People familiar with hexadecimal will know about numbering systems with different bases (ever entered a colour in HTML? That's a base-16 numbering system), but for those who don't, here's what it means.

In a nutshell, base-eight basically means that eight and nine just get thrown out of the window, so you'd count like this:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 20, 21 and so on.

As a mental exercise, see how far you can double up from one in base-10 until you start having to think about it, and then until you feel your braincogs grinding. Like this:
1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1,024 (you all know these from memory because you use computers, but try going ten or twenty multiplications beyond this in your head and see how long it is before you have to think for more than a second or so).

Now, if you can wrap your head around the concept of "no more eights or nines," try doing the same thing in base-eight.
1, 2, 4, 10, 20, 40, 100, 200, 400, 1,000, 2,000, 4,000, 10,000... see how easy this is? You could go on like that all day and never have to actually think about it, as long as you commit your brain to the idea of eights and nines being removed, not replaced (and don't try to think "ah, so this would be x in the real world"). And it's not just multiplication, either - most maths becomes a hell of a lot easier to do in your head.

Plus, by using your thumbs for the tens, you can count up to thirty on your fingers. Smile

Unfortunately, once a mistake has been institutionalized it's too late to take it back (for example, see the hideously unintuitive control system in cars and remember when you were learning to drive (manual cars, obviously), Windows Vista, the QWERTY keyboard, American wiring, the praise given to that crook Thomas Edison, the landscape computer monitor, south Korean "Fan Death," the use of oil as fuel and the concept of converting fossil fuels to electricity, various anti-terrorism laws and I could bloody well go on all day about the things in our lives that don't make sense so I'll stop now). I'd love to start a grassroots campaign to abolish eight and nine, but that would be a very silly idea indeed. Smile

Look up Octal in Wikipedia, it's interesting.

(Good thing I'm the sort of mod who doesn't insist on new threads for off-topic stuff, huh?)

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Sunday, September 21 2008 @ 02:02 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Also: Converting octal numbers to decimal is very easy. It's kinda almost like binary.

For example, 1,235 is:

5 *1
3 * 8
2 * 64
1 * 512

Total 664 in decimal. Smile

Profile Email Website
Anonymous Person
 Sunday, September 21 2008 @ 09:21 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Eye opener CJ, I find myself wanting to "rep" you. Big Grin

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Thursday, September 25 2008 @ 02:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

You think ounces, pounds and stones or centigrade and farenheit for cold and hot are bad, listen to this (true) story.
A friend of mine worked for a company making software that models landscapes, real ones, highly accurately. He got contracted out to one of the rail companies that runs the railways in England. (Many companies, another bonkers idea which we won't go on about.) His job was to produce essentially a map of the railway.
Now all the data is known, sort of, by various different departments (points are run by one department, signals by another, and so on) based on the original Victorian railways, who put down milestones along the way at one mile intervals to measure off against, in miles, chains and yards. Obviously. These were a mile apart in the reign of good queen Vicky, but with bits of track being added and removed and altered, are anything but nowadays. Nonetheless the distance between milestones was still the official BR mile.
So how do you deal with this situation?
Some departments had fixed length yards and chains, and so a varying amount of chains to the mile. Some departments had fixed amounts of chains to the mile, and yards to the chain giving a variable length yard. Some departments had fixed length yards, and variable length chains. One particularly inspired department used fixed length yards and chains when the BR miles were short, and variable length when they were long. Eek!
Let's say that my mate who was trying to put all of this together had no hope of winning happy bunny of the month award.
Oh, and by the way, the overhead powerlines were measured in kilometers.

Erm, not entirely sure what this has to do with one armed bandits.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Thursday, September 25 2008 @ 04:36 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

And people wonder about British humour.

God I love this country sometimes.

Maybe if you think in octal, and speak in decimal, and your pint contains fluid ounces when it's less than two-thirds full and cubic centimeters when it's less than one-third full, you'll be able to OMG L@@K BEAT TEH BANDIT?

(fruit machines over here have gotten scary - 50p a bloody spin?!)

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 1.37 seconds
New Topic Post Reply