Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Charm?
 |  Printable Version
Epaphus
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 02:33 PM UTC (Read 2118 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Is this a user interface error? I occasionally get messages that certain actions have increased or decreased my charm points, but I don't see charm listed under the player stats. Is this an intentional omission? (I'm using the default skin.)

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 02:43 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm pretty positive that it's there, just unvisible. Like Agrajag.

Maybe he didn't mean for it to be, though.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Bodoni
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 02:43 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I don't see my charm displayed in my stats, either. My only guideline is how Seth reacts to me.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 03:28 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

This is originally how it was in LotGD. Charm was a hidden stat, and you could only quantify it by asking either Seth or Violet.

We didn't really do much with Charm in S1, and I had no plans to make anything interact with it in S2 either. When I was clearing out the stat display, I went in with a saw - every stat displayed is another database query on every page load, and another stat for newbies to say "oh dear God this looks complicated" over. If it wasn't useful or vital, it went away.

Player race? Okay, they should know that. Player name? Why the hell would they need reminding of that? Player home town? Goes with the Race.

Player Charm? Well, it's only good for one thing, and nobody really does that one thing... okay, it's gone, and we'll handle Charm like most other LotGD's.

Even with the Stamina and IItems systems unzipping a serialized array every time you turn around, the difference in server performance is HUGE. Right now we've got 27 players online, and we're still in the green. Last night we had 40-odd players online, and still in the green. Season One went into the yellow at twenty.

If I end up making a new system that makes Charm a useful statistic to know, then I'll put it back in.

Profile Email Website
Cath
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 03:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Charm only did one thing that no one used? I thought higher charm got you discounts at Sheila's.

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 04:56 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

It did two useful things, at least: discounts at Sheila's, and the number of woodland creatures you could summon with the level 5 Pheromone Injections implant. (A joke that somehow kept on amusing me through several hundred drive kills.)

Implants are changing, and I suspect Sheila isn't going to be so easily sweet-talked into giving discounts. However, there is still the Hall of Fame list. If people are working towards the goal of increasing their own charm, they should at least be able to find out what it is. If there's no feedback at all, that removes charm as a possible game goal.

A good place to put the information would be on the Statistics page, where you could find it out if you really wanted to know, but it wouldn't be cluttering up the right-hand column all the time and reducing performance.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Bee Bee
 Monday, July 06 2009 @ 05:26 PM UTC  

Another reason to know is the Gauntet. I assume you can't use it if you don't have sufficent charm. All I know is the man keeps saying go away and I've got the money and am in the green on Stamina

Jade XXIV
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 04:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The gauntlet works, and you definitely need charm for that. Sheila's gives a discount still based on your charm. And yes, like Sessine said...that lovely pheromone implant.

I did like seeing that stat.

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
Lady Akitsu
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 05:08 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

As did I, my dear. As did I.

And Sessine expressed my thoughts perfectly... That and I was trying to finally beat Rosin in the HoF. Never did happen, but I was damn close~! XD

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 06:21 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I was well above 3000 for a long time last Season. *thoughtful*

Anyway, I'd really Like it if I could see the stat again, somewhere, anywhere.. there isn't a way of telling your absolute number in game now. It's relative and vague at the PSK and in the Raven Inn.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 06:58 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree. I would like to see charm return somewhere as well.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.38 seconds
New Topic Post Reply