Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Grievances
 |  Printable Version
Rosin
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 01:49 AM UTC (Read 8764 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just a few things that really annoy me about S2 at current.

The lack of a 'get off the failboat free' card pretty much turns every single lost fight into a day killer, seeing as there's no real use fighting off the failboat if you're left with 3% experience.

Cap on saved days is still 2. This made absolute sense back when, because you could play an entire real day if you only logged in for one game day. Now, with each game day cut short so often even with their reduced time, I believe there should be a slightly higher cap on game days. Say, 4. This way you're close to being able to play a real day's worth, without having to log in and get your arse handed to you in the first twenty minutes of every day.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 01:52 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Both of those: I'm on 'em.

(on a relevant note - if you're coming off the FailBoat with 3% Stamina left, you must have gone there with very little. Perhaps fighting with so little Stamina is the reason why you're on the FailBoat in the first place - it'll also be partially why you might be having to eat more to stay healthy)

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 01:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm normally sent to the Failboat in the range of 60%-45%. I expend 45+% trying to get enough favor to get off.

Also, I'm playing more from the complete newbie's standpoint. Not spending DP on requisition and the like. Thereby, I have not bought a chainsaw and invisisuit and am currently stuck with weapons that would befit a level three Rookie.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 02:14 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

See, I might just start the Rookies off with, say, four saved up game days.

(also I just got off the FailBoat in 22.04% Stamina, and I'm only in the first levels of Standard Fighting - do you have an overweight backpack, by any chance?)

The plan is to have another iitem called a Kitten Card that would grant an instant 30 Favour upon presentation to the Watcher - but it required a new hook, so didn't go in at launch.

I'm thinking five or six saved-up game days for regular players, with an extend for donators.

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

My pack only had about 2 kilos out of ten, so that wasn't it. And the bandoleer wasn't over filled either. Maybe I'm just terrible at fighting, even though I'm supposedly level 25 at standard by now.

Five or six saved days would equal out to a full real day saved, just like in S1. That should work out great.

Profile Email
MadMad
 Thursday, July 09 2009 @ 09:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

I still think the S2 failboat system is punishing fallen players doubly:

• by limiting the number of cage fights, and
  • by deducting stamina during those cage fights.

Wouldn't it be more logical to re-instate a (small?) amount of stamina when one is restored? I find the current system a bit too harsh and out of balance....

"I see," said the blind man to his deaf daughter while picking up his hammer...

Profile Email
Rosin
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 12:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Since this is the place to post any little grievance now, I have another. This one is really bugging me.

The amount of requisition I earn from a fight does not cover the cost to heal from said fight.

Not that I'm trying to heal after every fight, since the hospital tent is so damned expensive, but I'm trying to save for better gear. The reason behind this, I've got (as of posting) 30,555 / 19,121exp. This should get me easily to level 15. UNFORTUNATELY, the gear that is required to defeat my masters is FAR PAST MY BUDGET.

In other words, I believe that the req output for fights past level 10 should be just a tiny bit higher. You know, an extra 40-100 per fight would really set me nicely so I didn't have to spend 20 days at level 11.

Example!

I recieved 86 requisition for a fight where I got my bloody arse handed to me on a silver platter with garnish. The hospital chaps want to charge me 246 req to patch me up from that.

This means that I'm not only not making profit, I'm loosing upwards of one hundred req per fight.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 01:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Another note, my pack is not full. I'm in the green for stamina. I have no negative buffs whatsoever that it shows anywhere.

I'm using monster repellent spray to help with the jungle fights. I'm using grenades. I'm doing everything I possibly can to not get hurt in these fights. And yet I do, then have to spend ridiculous prices healing.

To me it seems that this would be a perfect system for gaining experience, which is nice enough, but is a terrible terrible TERRIBLE way to try and make money.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 01:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While my situation is nowhere near as bad as Rosin's, I agree that the game is too difficult to start out with. The way I see it, newcomers who are checking out the Island for the first time will be put off with how hard it is and leave, and we all really need newcomers.

Profile Email
Symar
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 02:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm not nearly as bad off as Rosin either, but I'm in a similar boat. What's helped me is doing nothing but Easy fights, and having Spatial Awareness for the bonus req.

And I can barely survive traveling to Kittania and back, because of lack of hospital. I know I could buy medkits, but that's no cheaper.

Also, sometimes while doing an Easy fight, I'll instead get a monster with equal or greater maximum health, implying they are of the same or higher level instead of the lower I'm looking for. Is this intended?

Profile Email
Fergus
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 02:57 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: MadMad

I still think the S2 failboat system is punishing fallen players doubly:

• by limiting the number of cage fights, and
  • by deducting stamina during those cage fights.

Wouldn't it be more logical to re-instate a (small?) amount of stamina when one is restored? I find the current system a bit too harsh and out of balance....

Well, it had been working by how much stamina you had, giving unlimited fights until when you got into the red, but I unknowingly somehow broke it. ^_^;

I liked it before I accidentally broke it though, and am hoping Dan plans to fix it if he can.

Profile Email
hajen
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 03:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Symar

Also, sometimes while doing an Easy fight, I'll instead get a monster with equal or greater maximum health, implying they are of the same or higher level instead of the lower I'm looking for. Is this intended?

Symar, it will tell right in the monster description what level it is and yes sometimes you will meet a monster that is your level even when you choose easy.
most of the fights will be one level lower than you, some will be two levels lower or conversely the same level as you. you can thank a random number generator for that little feature. Exclaimation

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Yrk
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 09:37 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

i 2nd what rosin said, and we need either cheaper healing or more req per fight. I honestly believe this has a higher priority than mounts, unless ofcourse mounts have some sort of req-gaining-healing ability..

Profile Email
Wright
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 03:24 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

There's already one way around this problem - buy req at the Lodge with DP. I have a feeling that some people have been doing that, though so far I have managed to resist the temptation. Just barely resist. After a day where my net is 20 or 30 req, it is awfully tempting. Of course I still do use DP to cheat - I buy loads of cigs and throw them in the buffs hopper, and tell myself that it at least benefits the whole clan (and me as well, I know).

Profile Email
hajen
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 07:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

i too have heard the siren call of the DPs, but the straps have kept me on the gurney.
i am going through the first DK and possibly a few more as if i were a first time 'free' player, and i have to say, i agree with Rosin; the learning curve for this game probably looks near vertical for someone who didn't get their feet wet in S1. as a veteran player, i am heavily depending on the delayed satisfaction of being able to interact more with others in place of the grind of just trying to make some advance on a daily basis.
that and i'm waiting for scrap booking to come online and PvP, of course Twisted Evil
until then, i'll keep my mantra going: i know cooking will pay off, i know cooking will pay off, i know cooking will pay off... eventually i have to, it's the closest thing to scraps and the workshop that we have for now.

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 07:44 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I'm lending my voice here as the person who is coming up on DK5:

Dan, it's too hard. We're going to frighten off new players who come in and die, die, die. I've succumbed to the temptation of Hunter's Lodge help a few times and even then, I'm scraping for money. You should not be constructing a game model where the player has to pay you to succeed. It's a very delicate balance now that you're using the site to support yourself, but you need to strike a better balance where players will be compelled to donate to you and receive rewards for it, but that DPs are not the sole way to succeed in the game. And they don't have to be, yes; I've played a DK or two with minimal DP assistance. Questing a bit really helped, but.. I just now completed a single quest run and I'm um, I'm on DK5. This is not fast enough for most people and stamina can be better spent in other ways.

It is too hard. I am enjoying the challenge and I really love S2, but I was at the top of your leaderboard last season and I am an outlier.

Reduce Shack prices to compensate for deflation; increase monster payout; add more items every Day in the Trading Station to compensate for player inflation.. something, anything. It is too hard; I'm hearing extreme discouragement from some of your core players and you cannot afford to lose them.

It's also worth noting that I'm not seeing significant benefits from more challenging DK modes..

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 08:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

Dan, it's too hard. We're going to frighten off new players who come in and die, die, die. I've succumbed to the temptation of Hunter's Lodge help a few times and even then, I'm scraping for money. You should not be constructing a game model where the player has to pay you to succeed. It's a very delicate balance now that you're using the site to support yourself, but you need to strike a better balance where players will be compelled to donate to you and receive rewards for it, but that DPs are not the sole way to succeed in the game. And they don't have to be, yes; I've played a DK or two with minimal DP assistance. Questing a bit really helped, but.. I just now completed a single quest run and I'm um, I'm on DK5. This is not fast enough for most people and stamina can be better spent in other ways.

It is too hard. I am enjoying the challenge and I really love S2, but I was at the top of your leaderboard last season and I am an outlier.

Reduce Shack prices to compensate for deflation; increase monster payout; add more items every Day in the Trading Station to compensate for player inflation.. something, anything. It is too hard; I'm hearing extreme discouragement from some of your core players and you cannot afford to lose them.

It's also worth noting that I'm not seeing significant benefits from more challenging DK modes..

Here here. My first two DKs were very much Hunter-funded, but I'm trying to keep some points for doing daft messages about Bruce the clan cook having to get tumblers for Bernard's whisky. If I could describe a bell-curve of difficulty, it would be thus: "It's a graph with a bump on it" - I'd then have to explain that you need to make it more challenging for players, but not right away, and you want to lure in players - like the man with staring eyes, rain mac and rickety fingers, offer them sweets, visits to see your puppies and let them get 10 or so drive kills so they get hooked...

I just can't see myself getting off this drive kill without doing something crazy. EVEN THE GRENADES ARE DAMN EXPENSIVE, DAN, even the grenades are too dear. I'd make my own using ORANGE JUICE AND MEAT, but even my meat left me.

And until I am able to get off this drive kill, I will remain

Yr humble servant,

UB

PS I got NO MORE fags for doing a more difficult DK.

Profile Email
Jade XXIV
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 09:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

I'm going to throw in my two cents here. I agree especially with Zolotisty's little snippet above. It's so expensive to get healed, hard to get req, and difficult to upgrade gear at times due to the lack of req. Though I enjoy S2, there needs to be a rebalancing of the mechanics because the costs versus rewards just aren't there yet. You spend half your time being broke in the very low levels. I, too, am afraid that this will cause people to get too discouraged and wander away from this game that we love. Hopefully, that gets taken into consideration.

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 10:10 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Here's the formula to determine cost of healing:

$cost = log($session['user']['level']) * (($session['user']['maxhitpoints']-$session['user']['hitpoints']) + 10);

There's a hook in create.php to alter the cost of healing via a simple multiplier:

PHP Formatted Code
$cost = log($session['user']['level']) * (($session['user']['maxhitpoints']-$session['user']['hitpoints']) + 10);
$result=modulehook("healmultiply",array("alterpct"=>1.0));
$cost*=$result['alterpct'];
$cost = round($cost,0);

Suggestions for what to put in $args['alterpct'] are appreciated, although I think a better way to go about it would be to have some sort of algorithm that adjusts prices automatically based on player supply and demand over a period of several game days, much like how eBoy's works now. But to stick a bandage on it and say "We'll sort that out later," for now I'll just reduce the price multiplier.

Right now it's at default, 1.0. Any suggestions?

Profile Email Website
CavemanJoe
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 10:14 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Bernard

EVEN THE GRENADES ARE DAMN EXPENSIVE, DAN, even the grenades are too dear.

Then don't buy them.

No, that's not me being snarky - seriously, don't buy them. eBoy's prices are influenced by player supply and demand - he uses a pretty simple algorithm that lowers his prices when there's less demand, and raises it when there's more. If he's got a load of Grenades cluttering up his warehouse, he'll start to lower his prices automatically. Prices and availability are unique to each Outpost.

Profile Email Website
Content generated in: 0.81 seconds
New Topic Post Reply