Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Overweight backpacks in The Retraining Pit
 |  Printable Version
Agrajag
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 09:29 PM UTC (Read 1337 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Is it intentional that we continue to wear our horribly overweight backpacks in the retraining pits? We don't have an opportunity to take them off, or use the items, or sell them, so it would seem fair to me that we leave the packs outside the cages. But then, maybe you are really trying to make the point of managing encumbrance, I don't know.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, July 07 2009 @ 09:40 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

You're probably right, there. I'd imagine The Watcher would confiscate all your equipment and keep it in a locker or something. I'll work on this over the coming week.

Profile Email Website
Bodoni
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 01:59 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I was always under the impression that I was fighting with bare fists, in the nude, in the Retraining Pits. Seems that this would make for a better show, and the Watcher seems to enjoy bare skin (which leads to better ratings). Surely she wouldn't want us to have access to our One Shot Teleporters and grenades.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 02:50 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The FailBoat is in drastic need of some new descriptive text, nav ordering and general tarting up. The player should be wearing a thin cotton boilersuit, fighting with their bare hands, with their equipment confiscated. I'll get on this at some point soon.

Profile Email Website
Bodoni
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 04:23 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Should I write up something and submit it next time I land on the Failboat, then?

I've never heard of a boilersuit, but apparently we call them coveralls in the US.

Profile Email
Bodoni
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 04:54 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

OK, wrote up some additional flavor text for the Failboat, email sent.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 04:56 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Bodoni

email sent.

You sure about that, mate?

Profile Email Website
Bodoni
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 05:01 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yes? I sent it through the email link here.

Here's the text, mostly it's what you've got already, my additions or changes are marked with /s:

As you slip into unconsciousness, a pair of Retraining Personnel turn up, tutting and shaking their heads.

When you wake up, you find yourself on the Retraining Vessel, known locally as The FailBoat! /You are wearing a thin, ill-fitting, bloodsplattered cotton coverall. From the smell of it, many other people have worn this boilersuit before you were bundled into it. And some of them had bladder and bowel control problems. You don't see your weapon, armor, backpack, bandolier, or any of your other gear. It looks like you're going to have to fight your way out of this mess with just your fists!/

Running almost purely on adrenaline, you drag your broken and miserable carcass below decks to the Retraining Pits. In the eerie half-light around you, you see rows of iron cages to your left and right. Each one contains a truly horrendous mutated creature pacing back and forth, each one more disgusting and terrifying than the last. They eye you hungrily.

Several of the cages are also occupied by fellow contestants, engaged in bloody conflict with the creature locked in with them. /The other contestants are wearing coveralls similar to yours. The only difference is in the pattern of the various stains./

In the centre of the deck a blonde, bespectacled woman wearing a red turtleneck sits at a large mahogany desk. She appears surrounded by video monitors stacked almost to the ceiling, each one showing an image from a different part of the Island. She occasionally glances up, smiling, to watch the contestants fighting in the cages. A bar resting on her desk reads "The Watcher, Mistress of Death and Reality TV." She catches your eye, and shows you a toothy grin.

You approach the center of the room, and The Watcher's desk. The huge banks of video monitors makes the air around you feel hot and dry. From across the desk, two bespectacled eyes stare into your soul. The Watcher leans over her bank of monitors and switches and regards you with an evaluatory air.

"So. You storm off into the Island like your life depends on it, only to get your arse handed to you on a plate. There are far more interesting people we can spend air time on, you know." She leans forward and winks. "But hey, it's not all bad," she says under her breath, "I have the authority to return you to the others, and restore your airtime qualifications. Just jump in one of those cages there, and show us what you're really made of." She sits back in her chair, and turns back to her monitors. After a few moments she looks up, and scowls. "Well, what are you waiting for?"

/She taps a largish box with your name on it. You see your armor poking out of the top. "You'll have to prove yourself without all of these nice goodies. I'll give them back to you if you can prove yourself. It's just your raw skill against whatever's in that cage. Or, of course, you can wait until the next day if you're too wussy to fight."/

The Watcher speaks, "Now, that's more like it. Yes, I think you've shown us today that your defeat in the jungle was just a fluke. Would you like me to summon a rowboat for you?" /She hefts the box with your name on it, showing you that all of your equipment is in there, and it's not damaged. Or at least it's not any MORE damaged than when you last saw it./

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 05:06 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

That's pretty neat - I'll add a bit of my own and put it in, likely this week.

Profile Email Website
Bodoni
 Wednesday, July 08 2009 @ 05:15 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I called the garment a coverall twice, and a boilersuit once. I don't know if you want to edit that for consistency or not. I've never heard of a boilersuit, and had to Google it.

I'll be happy to contribute flavor text. I won't code. You don't WANT me to code. Trust me on this.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.42 seconds
New Topic Post Reply