Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Ideas, Suggestions, Requests and Wishlists New Topic Post Reply
 Island Reset
 |  Printable Version
CavemanJoe
 Friday, May 30 2008 @ 05:43 PM UTC (Read 19024 times)  
Forum Admin
Admin

So - the new version of the game will likely be considerably more challenging than the one we're playing now (IE you'll actually need to buy a decent weapon before you can kill the Drive). Should we do a complete reset, and wipe characters back to zero? Your opinions, please.

Profile Email Website
JtPN
 Friday, May 30 2008 @ 05:58 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'd be inclined to agree with a reset, except for the fact that I'm relatively certain I'd quickly get frustrated with losing everything I've worked for. I imagine I'd play a few days, perhaps a coupe weeks, then scowl and never touch it again. Of course, I can name a few people that will encourage a reset for exactly this reason.

Also, what about clan buffs? I mean, SWEET has worked hard for theirs, as has everyone else. That would suck to be reset, but it wouldn't be fair if you reset characters and not clans, as those buffs would make quite a difference with out DK points.

Profile Email
Anonymous: DeadMeat
 Friday, May 30 2008 @ 06:02 PM UTC  

A couple of quick, fairly specific questions:
When you say "All Stats reset" does that include Clans? How about clan buffs?
Not that I mind either way, but I've been saving up to start a clan, and see no reason to do so if, shortly after I've opened the doors, it gets reset out of existence.
On the other hand, a clan buff reset might actually benefit the clans, and be good for some of the...more established and powerful ones.

Just askin'.

-=DeadMeat

CavemanJoe
 Friday, May 30 2008 @ 06:15 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Clan buffs - dunno. Depends. I'll have to take a quick look and remind myself of the cost arrays, because a lot of folks donated significant money in order to buy ciggies for their clan buffs, and if they get those points back to spend again, then it won't really matter.

Profile Email Website
Velle
 Friday, May 30 2008 @ 06:48 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I would think that clan buffs should stay as is, since any newbies joining can join up and get those benefits reguardless of the game being harder or not. Re-start of everything is fine, but I will be sad to see my 50 odd DK and 600 PvP go. But then again a chance to rework how I spend my DK win points could make for more fun too Twisted Evil

Profile Email
Snickerer
 Friday, May 30 2008 @ 11:33 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'd support leaving the clan buffs as well.

Would imagine a character wipe would bust everyone's equipment and resources back down to Newbie, i.e. nothing. I think wiping DKs, PvP, and Improbability Points would be fair.
Would it also bust Charm and earned hitpoints back to nil?

Profile Email
BabyEater
 Friday, May 30 2008 @ 11:36 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I'm against it. Pretty much what JtPN said, except, I wont play the released version at all. I mean, atleast as far as I know, I wasn't informed that "Hey, this is just a beta, we're gonna delete everything when we release it, so don't do too much work right now." So, .....eck.

Profile Email
Dutchdoor
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 12:08 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I'm fine with a character reset, I guess. I mean, I'll lose my PvP rating, which I've worked hard to get to the point where I can see it without having to scroll WAY down the list (and I'm such a NOT hardcore gamer that I will probably never be able to make it into the top 100 of anything after a week or so of a complete reset). Since I'm in a tiny little clan, I'm good with the idea of reseting the clan buffs too. And I think they should be tougher to get the more people you have in the clan. There's really no reason to start, or join, a small clan (if the buff is a person's primary draw, which I'm guessing it mostly must be). We're really a one, maybe two, clan game right now, and I see that as terribly boring. I'm not saying we should severely punish the big clans, but I think there should be a cap of some sort, like 50 members, maybe, where it starts getting noticeably tougher to upgrade the buffs. As of now, if you ever wanted to do clan wars or something like that, forget it. My dinky little clan would be wiped off the face of the earth. So, if everyone gets back their ciggies that they paid real money for, I say reset the clan buff too (and tweaking it so it's proportionally tougher for big clans to raise buff levels would be awesome too).

Also, maybe some sort of "reward" program might smooth over the transition a little more. Maybe give long-time players a bit of fluff to make us happy? Like something that makes Dan's quests not suck butt for finding the questy things? That might be a pipe dream. Or maybe a piece of jewelry that has some sort of positive and random improbable effect (call it a Beta Brooch). Just a thought.

I'll keep playing even if I get nothing and have nothing to show for the last three or four months of playing. I like the game. It lets me kill big chunks of time when I should be doing something more productive.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 01:09 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hmm. I like the idea of a "Beta Brooch." I like it a lot. Smile

One other possible solution I've thought of - 'cause let's face it, we kinda HAVE to do some sort of reset if we're going to expand to the state that I'd like to expand to - is to start up the monthly tournament server (which gets reset every month) and put the new features in there, doing the big upgrades on the same days that players get reset (for the sake of argument, let's say the first of every month). The changes can gradually filter through to the regular, un-reset server as time goes by, and then, perhaps in a long time, the need for a reset may be lessened.

So, you'd have two distinctly different flavoured servers to choose from. That's both a blessing and a curse - on one hand, where do you send the newbies? On the other, woo variety!

Don't panic, guys - my mind isn't made up either way yet, that's why I'm asking you what you think. Just puttin' it out there, that's all.

(BabyEater, the home page says that Improbable Island is in beta state)

Profile Email Website
BabyEater
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 01:16 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I think the beta brooch is a good idea. My opinion has been stated, but either way, this game is great, and I can see big things for it in the future.

(Joe, I know it's been in Beta, but the transition from beta doesn't always include a server wipe.)

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 01:30 AM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I wasn't actually intending a server wipe... I don't think most admins do. :-/
Y'see, the Equipment Shop module (normally you'd have seperate weapon and armour shops and they'd both be pretty feckin' boring) had a bug in it that actually added your level to your weapon/armour TWICE.

So, for example, if I'm level fifteen and am fighting with my fists (and we assume no DK's or other modifiers) then my attack is 15 points. If I then buy a rusty spoon (attack level of 1) for 50-odd Req, my attack should be 16. But what actually happens is levelAttack+(weaponAttack+levelAttack), so I now have 31 Attack points. Same goes for Defence in armour.

So, all the players who are currently playing have had a really unfair advantage over how the game is supposed to actually work. Once the new Equipment table goes in and the Shop is upgraded to the newer version, those poor newbies are gonna have a hell of a hard time, while experienced players (who have accrued enough extra Attack points etc through DK's and other means) will walk all over them. We'll end up with a game in which newbies can NEVER catch up to experienced players, because the long-timers have had a really easy time of things for their entire experience of the game. It just ain't fair.

The trouble here is gonna be deciding who to piss off - the newbies or the regulars. We've gotta try to come to some sort of middle ground, 'cause without newbies, this and any other game will dry up faster than (insert hilarious, possibly sexual analogy here). And of course, the regulars... well, I love my regulars. You lot have shaped the game and made it a very different place to what I originally intended, and you're all pretty fucking awesome. So, obviously, I don't want to piss you off.

Kinda between Iraq and a hard place, here. :-/

Profile Email Website
Count of S-G
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 02:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I would for reasons that probably appear obvious, prefer to not have a reset.

However, a solution I would suggest would be a reduction of everything by some amount. I would say that you could reduce everyone's drive kills by 2/3rds, or 90% to lessen the gap. I would be against the reseting of some of the stats, like PvP which don't actually help or hurt game play; things like the jewelry and tattoos.

I think that a beta brooch, even if it didn't do much would be rather cool. Perhapse something that was based from what the player had during beta.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Jerkymaster
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 03:09 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I agree that a reset would be fine as long as we long-time players get something for our troubles. I'd also be a little upset if my almost 800 PvPs got erased. Frown

So far, I think Count's suggestion is the best option.

"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid"

Profile Email
Anonymous: Bannakaffalatta
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 05:20 AM UTC  

A reset sounds good to me, as far as evening out the game goes. How about maintaining certain "bragging rights" stats, though? Like the high PVP scores, previous DK numbers, so on ... anything people like to gloat over having built up.

Wiping clan buffs, though, would suck. Lots. Big green donkey dick in half a dozen flavors. I know, I know, I'm talking from the disco on Mount Doom, and so I have more to lose than most on this subject, but those buffs are a pain in the ASS to build up. My clan's been working toward it since the game started, and we've just in the past week or so maxed it out.

How about putting the clan membership cap lower, down to 100 or 50 members? That would let other clans attain critical mass and even out the distribution of buffs, without knee-capping us for being more awesome than everyone else.

Er, I mean, big. Right. Without kneecapping us for being big.

Honestly, we've had some people quit the clan and go to smaller clans because our buff is so strong it degrades the gaming experience for them, and I imagine there are a lot of players who would feel like that. Those of us who are power-hungry are going to go for what makes us feel better, and those who prefer more challenge to gameplay will go where we can find that.

Anonymous: Cheftec
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 06:05 AM UTC  

I like Bannakaffalatta's idea of a lower cap- variety is a spice of life. what would be /awesome/ would be to have a clan choose which, say, three traits (outside of duration) could be increased to 100%, and the others to a lower level- giving each clan a statistical distinction as well as their unique personalities.

I also like the idea of keeping your records - The hall of fame could stay as is, and if someone ever does reach those higher levels again, so be it.

Finally, I feel that I've put in maybe too much time to this game, and while I have reached those higher echelons of character recognition, I don't have any problem with a soft reset. I probably wouldn't have a problem with a hard reset.

My thoughts are this: Give the experienced players a break- i.e., a stat buff scaled (like CSG recommends) but not so much that they would be able to progress by leaps and bounds over the other characters. Experienced players are going to be able to rationalize shortcuts and quick ways to gain turns faster than the newbies anyway, and that is probably going to be enough of an advantage there. Maybe an option that if they played without the stat bonus they could get.... oh, i dunno, extra XP or req, or ciggies, or something.

Meh, just do a hard reset. XP

CavemanJoe
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 12:47 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

I'd like to go down to fifty players per clan. But the amount of butthurt I got subjected to when I put the cap at 200 players was bad enough. :-/

OK, PVP tracking etc and other bragging-rights stats can stay. As for clan buffs - how's this idea:

Clan buffs get wiped. Clans get wiped. EVERYTHING that has an effect on gameplay gets wiped, apart from Donation points which can be spent again (probably on cigs). After the reset, all current players are re-imported and reset completely to zero - then, everyone is awarded two cigarettes for every Drive Kill that they had before the reset, to do with as they please. An instant one-time economy boost that should hopefully sort out the clan buffs quite nicely. I'll also figure out a Pilot Player boon for your bios or whatever.

Profile Email Website
Bortwood
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 03:17 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I agree that a full reset would be both a blessing and a curse. Being relatively new to the game, a reset would put me on an even field with regard to the other players. But that being said, after putting as much time and effort as I already have into playing the game and helping build my clan's buffs (Go CIA!!), it would suck major balls to see it all go away. Oh yeah, and remember to visit Bortwood's the next time you are in Disgrace or the COmmon Grounds. Twisted Evil

Profile Email
Dutchdoor
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 05:47 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I like the ciggies for DKs deal. I'm all for it. I'm sort of stoked about a near-total reset. I mean, I COULD dwell on the probably 1200 smokes I've put in my guild and the countless hours I sat in my chair in front of my computer playing this game to have it all for naught. But, you know, EVERY video game I play, every MMORPG I spend countless hours playing, they're ALL ultimately a waste of my time. That's the point. So, what the hell!

And I like the idea of a clan cap of 50. Of course, I've always been one for small guilds/clans where people actually sort of get to know one another. I'm sure I'm in the minority, though.

Profile Email
JtPN
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 07:07 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I wasn't actually intending a server wipe... I don't think most admins do. :-/
Y'see, the Equipment Shop module (normally you'd have seperate weapon and armour shops and they'd both be pretty feckin' boring) had a bug in it that actually added your level to your weapon/armour TWICE.

So, for example, if I'm level fifteen and am fighting with my fists (and we assume no DK's or other modifiers) then my attack is 15 points. If I then buy a rusty spoon (attack level of 1) for 50-odd Req, my attack should be 16. But what actually happens is levelAttack+(weaponAttack+levelAttack), so I now have 31 Attack points. Same goes for Defence in armour.[/QUOTE/]

That's -not- how it's supposed to work? It says right in the equipment shop that gear is supposed to get stronger as you do, or is that something you added afterwards because you didn't know how or want to fix it or something?

Profile Email
Kassil
 Saturday, May 31 2008 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I wouldn't mind smaller clans and the nigh-complete reset, particularly since I'll be getting to keep my donor points.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply