Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Island Recipe Thread
 |  Printable Version
Jade XXIV
 Sunday, June 07 2009 @ 11:26 PM UTC (Read 4455 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Alright everyone, we've covered books and music. How about we move on to a topic that I'm sure is near and dear to everyone's hearts - FOOD.

Let's have some recipes in here.

I'll start - nothing fancy, but something I've shared with Lelila, and she has highly approved it:

Bacon Egg Salad

8 or more strips of bacon, crumbled
12 eggs, hard boiled
mayo
sweet pickle relish

Chop up the eggs and crumble the bacon. Add a few spoonfuls of the sweet relish to taste, and enough mayo to make it into a good, spreadable consistency,

This makes a great sandwich - I take it on road trips and camping trips. Good, easy, and filling.

I'll get fancier later.

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
Merlin
 Sunday, June 07 2009 @ 11:39 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

mmm food, how I love thee....

German Pancake
both tasty and simple

6 eggs 1/3 cup sugar
1 cup milk 1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup flour 2 Tablespoon butter
1 to 2 Tablespoons powdered sugar

400 degree oven.

Whisk eggs, milk, flour, sugar and salt together.
Melt butter in a 10 inch Cast iron pan (or other oven-proof skillet) and pour egg mixture into skillet transfer hot skillet to oven and bake 20 minutes or til golden and puffed.
sift powdered sugar over pancake and serve.

Profile Email
lelila
 Monday, June 08 2009 @ 12:46 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Now, hold on, Jade. I think it's only fair to clarify what brought about the discussion in the first place.

....BERNARD. And his damn bacon sandwich yesterday. He said something about a bacon sandwich in IC yesterday morning and I was filled with the most intense desire I have ever experienced for a food. I NEEDED IT. So after fussing to various people my demand for bacon... I went to the store and bought some. A lot, actually. Very good bacon. (American bacon, I should clarify. No one tell CMJ.)

Aaanyway. In honor of that ridiculous story, I will share my recipe:

An American Bacon Sandwich.

Ingredients:
Bread, 2 slices. And none of that faked-out "sandwich bread" nonsense. REAL bread. Like... french. Or vienna. OR OHMIGOD SOURDOUGH.
Mayonnaise.
Really good American bacon, 3 slices. Or maybe more. Maybe... maybe eight slices. You know, whatever.

STEP THE FIRST:
Cook bacon. Beware the spitting bacon grease. Make sure to move your stainless steel kettle off the stovetop first, or you will be cleaning it for a long time

STEP THE SECOND:
Put your bread in the toaster. Pout a little when it doesn't really fit because you have GOOD bread and not sandwich bread. Stuff it in there and make it fit anyway. Then pry it back out again when it's done because it didn't pop up properly because it didn't really fit in the first place.

STEP THE THIRD:
Apply mayonnaise to toasted bread.

STEP THE FOURTH:
Artfully arrange your crispy and delicious bacon between your slices of bread.

Yields: One very amazing sandwich. Really. It's like heaven, in your mouth. Best served with a cup of PG Tips, little milk and sugar. Mhmm.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Monday, June 08 2009 @ 01:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This is what I helped Jade make for the library party, and it is copy and pasted right from some website (so don't go thinking I actually know anything about cooking Wink ).

Deviled Eggs with Truffles

8 large eggs, at least a week old*
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 tablespoons sour cream
1/4 teaspoon truffle oil
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh dill weed
Salt to taste
Paprika
1 black truffle

* To help center the yolks in the eggs, the night before the eggs are to be cooked (approximately 12 hours), store your eggs on their sides in the refrigerator. Seal the egg carton with a piece of tape and turn on its side to center the yolks.

Place the eggs in a saucepan just large enough to hold them all in one layer. Add water to cover by 1 1/2 inches. Add 1 tablespoon salt. Partially cover the pan and bring to a full rolling boil. Cover, reduce heat to low and leave on heat for 30 seconds. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 15 minutes. Pour off hot water and rinse eggs under cold running water for 5 minutes. Pour off the water and shake the pans to crack the eggs. Peel under cold running water. Check out how to Boil and Peel Hard-Cooked Eggs.

Cut peeled eggs in half lengthwise with a sharp knife. Transfer yolks to a bowl. Cover and chill yolks and whites separately for 1 hour.

In a large bowl, mash the yolks with a fork. Mash in the mayonnaise, sour cream, and truffle oil. Add dry mustard, dill weed, and salt; stir until well blended.

Fill the egg white halves with the yolk mixture, extending the filling over part of the white. Sprinkle each egg half with a little paprika. Cover and refrigerate. Serve well chilled. NOTE: The stuffed eggs may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled.

To serve, slice truffles with a truffle shaver or a sharp thin knife very thinly. *NOTE: You always want to maximize the truffle flavor, using the least amount of the ingredient as possible. So always slice into paper-thin wedges or strips. Use a truffle shaver (similar to a cheese grater) when shaving truffles. Place a truffle slice on each egg half on top of the yolk mixture just before serving.

Makes 16 stuffed eggs.

Profile Email
Symar
 Monday, June 08 2009 @ 01:51 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: lelila

Ingredients:
Bread, 2 slices. And none of that faked-out "sandwich bread" nonsense. REAL bread. Like... french. Or vienna. OR OHMIGOD SOURDOUGH.
Mayonnaise.
Really good American bacon, 3 slices. Or maybe more. Maybe... maybe eight slices. You know, whatever.

STEP THE FIRST:
Cook bacon. Beware the spitting bacon grease. Make sure to move your stainless steel kettle off the stovetop first, or you will be cleaning it for a long time

STEP THE SECOND:
Put your bread in the toaster. Pout a little when it doesn't really fit because you have GOOD bread and not sandwich bread. Stuff it in there and make it fit anyway. Then pry it back out again when it's done because it didn't pop up properly because it didn't really fit in the first place.

STEP THE THIRD:
Apply mayonnaise to toasted bread.

STEP THE FOURTH:
Artfully arrange your crispy and delicious bacon between your slices of bread.

Yields: One very amazing sandwich. Really. It's like heaven, in your mouth. Best served with a cup of PG Tips, little milk and sugar. Mhmm.

This does sound good.

Profile Email
CheshireCat
 Monday, June 08 2009 @ 02:51 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

With all the Sandwiches here, I'm surprised there's no Sandvich!

The Island's Most Married Kittyjoker.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Monday, June 08 2009 @ 02:55 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have a great recipe for a casserole-like egg dish.

2 eggs
1oz milk
1tsp pepper
1tsp salt
1tsp onion powder
1tsp chili powder
1/2tsp garlic

Mix all ingredients in a microwave-safe bowl, then nuke the mixture until it solidifies.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Monday, June 08 2009 @ 02:56 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CheshireCat

With all the Sandwiches here, I'm surprised there's no Sandvich!

I am Heavy! Fear me!

I love Team Fortress 2!

Profile Email
Bernard
 Monday, June 08 2009 @ 07:18 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

This evening I have mostly been cooking:

My own version of aloo gobi. My own version of tikka chicken. My own potato, lamb and vegetable curry. Naan bread. Raita. And Treacle has just made my favourite red salad.

Recipes? Well, I'm making no claims towards authenticity so please don't kill me with sticks.

1. Aloo gobi. I dry roast some turmeric, garlic, onion, curry leaves, mustard seeds, salt, kalonji black onion seeds, cumin. Then I add in some par-boiled potatoes and a half head of cauliflower broken down into little chunks of brassica loveliness.

Add in a little water, and some plum tomatoes, a splash of vinegar and a chopped up chili. I then cook over a medium heat for 20m.

2. My chicken dish is marinaded in yoghurt, (a smaller amount of the spices above), a half of lime - and - the secret ingredient, three large teaspoons of mango chutney. Marinade for 20m and then into a medium over for 25m and 5 mins at a higher temperature.

3. For the fairly dry lamb dish, Dry roast mustard seeds, salt and pepper, garlic, kalonji onion, cumin seeds, garlic, onion, turmeric and cardamom seeds along with some dry chili flakes. Pour in a little oil, and heat up, throw in the lamb, chopped up into little chunks, and some par-boiled new potatoes, coat in the oil until the meat is sealed, then throw in some red and green pepper, some green beans (or whatever veg you have left over) until they're all coated and cooked through. Throw in some flatleaf parsley and some coriander at the end.

4. Naan: as it's baking, we have to be more prescriptive: 500g white plain flour, 1tsp baking poweder, 10g salt, 15g dried yeast, 30ml olive oil, 150 ml set yoghurt, 1 large egg whisked, 1 tsp cumin seeds, 1 tsp caraway seeds. Mix all of the ingredients except the spices, 5 mins. Knead well for 10 mins, cover with clingfilm, rest for 1 hr in a warm spot. Remove and punch back the dough, throwing in the spices, divide the dough into 3 (very large) or 6 (medium). Roll them out into a tear-shape. Then into a hot, greased pan on the hob, for 2 min each side then into a hot, hot, hot oven for 3 mins until golden brown and yummy.

5. Raita and Red salad. Chop a cucumber lengthways, and take out the 'seeds' with a spoon, this removes the vast majority of moisture from the cucumber. Chop into tiny chunks and add into 2 large tablespoons of set yoghurt. Squeeze in half a lime. Add a pinch of salt and a grind of black pepper. Throw in a few chili flakes. Red salad. Tomatoes, red onions and red pepper. Red wine vinegar emulsified with extra virgin olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.

And that's why I've not been on the Island this evening.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Saturday, June 13 2009 @ 08:01 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Alright this one's quick so I'll describe it quickly. I've no idea whatsit called in English, but in German, it's a "Kalter Hund" (which means... cold dog. Yeah.). What you're going to need is

250 g of coconut fat (not the oil, the bricks you can throw after annoying family members)
200g of powdered sugar (... actual sugar, not the coke)
40 g of cocoa powder (useless comment, for once, you'll find that on your own!)
2 tablespoons o'rum (insert pirate joke here)
1 tablespoon o'instant coffee (careful here, might want to add less)
2 eggs (raw, you know, like fresh from the hen) and
200 g of these (or similar ones, and maybe get some more... *crunch*)

a prepared loaf pan (one of these rectangular ones)
other kitchen tools, read on.

Melt the coconut fat, while doing so, mix all other ingredients safe for the butter biscuits to produce a brown, ambiguous mess, then slooowly add the molten fat and stir it in.

Pour a bit of the brown stuff (so, "dog's breakfast" is a synonym for "mess"? How fitting.) into the loaf pan, so that it covers the bottom. Then get the biscuits (and try not to eat~ wait - I said you should get more before, so go ahead, eat some), and make a layer of them on top of the sticky goo.

Alternate brown schmozzle and biscuits until you've eaten too much of the latter (or have just none left...). Try to scratch the rest of the now pretty chewy mess (be quick, it hardens) out of your mixing bowl, and top the whole thing with a last layer of it.

Cover the loaf pan, and shove it into the fridge for about four hours. Lick everything clean. (No worries, you'll get the block out of the pan later, that's what pan liner is for).

Half an hour previous to the (insert hungry person of your choice here) getting it, put it into the freezer for the same time. Cut it to thin slices, and serve. Or hit it over someone's head. And seriously, it just took me more time to type all this than to do everything safe for the cooling.

Profile Email
Jade XXIV
 Sunday, June 14 2009 @ 10:03 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: SicPuess

200 g of these (or similar ones, and maybe get some more... *crunch*)

Third, you have made me extremely hungry. Between you posting about these cookies and "other people" telling me about how they make chili? Well, I am ravenous.

Send some my way, darling, please? Cool

Islanding since 2009.

Profile Email
Symar
 Tuesday, June 16 2009 @ 02:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: lelila

It just dawned on me, I've made this before. But I put a fried (yolk broken/cooked) egg on it, too.
You can use ham instead of bacon, as well. I've used just sliced deli ham, but warmed it up in the same pan I cooked the egg in.

Ham and bacon on the same sandwich would be nice, too.

Profile Email
Bodoni
 Friday, June 19 2009 @ 12:59 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Say goodbye to your arteries, folks.

Bacon and cheese sandwich

For each sandwich, you will need:

2 slices white bread
3 slices American bacon
2 slices of that horrible plastic wrapped American cheese

Cut each slice of bacon into two or three strips. Fry it up, save the grease. On one slice of bread, put one slice of the cheese (remove the plastic first), arrange the bacon neatly, then the other slice of cheese (again, remove the plastic), and top with the remaining slice of bread. Fry in the bacon fat until the cheese melts and the bread is a wonderful golden brown.

Well, I did warn you. This is absolutely delicious, and is the only way to eat that sort of cheese. And yes, you must use the white sandwich bread, that's part of the deliciousness.

Profile Email
Hermein
 Friday, June 19 2009 @ 01:14 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

. . . and my Grandfather used to keep a can of bacon fat in the fridge. Lots of people did that, right? For cooking? Well, he would also spread it on bread and eat it like a sandwich. I'm told that it was marvelous.

PS - no, he didn't die of coronary artery disease Wink

Profile Email
Bodoni
 Friday, July 10 2009 @ 09:02 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Yes, a lot of people kept a can of bacon grease. Some kept it in the fridge, others kept it right on or near the stove. Yes. All day long. All night long. All month long.

I rarely keep bacon in the house. However, when I do have it, and cook it up, I'll save the grease in a container in the fridge. I'll put it on various veggies, like green beans, and it's a wonderful flavor.

My doctors, especially my cardiologist, would no doubt have a heart attack in either horror or sympathy if they knew this, so don't tell them, OK? Wink

Profile Email
Zahnnie
 Tuesday, July 14 2009 @ 06:16 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Bernard's food made my mouth water and I just HAD lunch...

Profile Email
Jet Taris
 Sunday, July 19 2009 @ 05:22 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Should I begin explaining my delicious "Cocoa Eggs" or the Banana and Beef Soup?

I'll go with the Banana and Beef Soup first:

Banana and Beef Soup

Requirements:
A Bowl, a cooking pot, a teaspoon, something not metal to stir the pot with, a banana, beef base.

Preparation:
*Get a small pot and fill it with a cup or 1 1/2 of water.
**Turn on the heat to about medium.
*Get a banana. Make sure it's not green, but not going brown.
**Peel the banana and chop it into chunks (with fingers, knife, fork or spoon. Your choice.)
*Once the water comes to a boil, take about a full teaspoon of beef base and dump it into the pot.
**Stir every other minute.
***Once you're sure that the base has dissolved, dump the banana chunks into the pot.
*Turn off the heat and let the pot simmer for another minute.
**Fetch your bowl and pour yourself some soup.

Profile Email
LeGrande
 Sunday, July 26 2009 @ 01:45 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Very easy recipe coming up. Requires no refrigeration or cooking whatsoever. So it's a good meal for extended power outages.

Take a small can of ham or Spam and slice it into cubes.

In a small bowl, mix together a couple of spoonfuls of grape jelly and a spoonful of dijon mustard. (You can make more sauce or less if you want, and you can experiment with ratios.)

Toss the meat with the sauce until it's all coated, add a dash of dried chives, and serve with crackers.

You can use different flavors of jelly (or use preserves, jam or honey) and add capers if you want.

Profile Email
SinkOrSwim
 Sunday, July 26 2009 @ 02:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Good curries there Bernard - the traditional English meal.

I do a mean Saag Paneer - half of my family are veggie, so veggie curries are a speciality.

First: Make your own paneer.
Buy a lot of milk, and when it's just starting to go off, stick it all in a big pan and heat it gently Don't boil the nuts off it, it'll just burn to the pan.
[i]NB: I mean a LOT of milk, paneer is a curd cheese, and the curd yield isn't that great. Best done with full-fat milk for more yield.[/i]
As the milk is starting to rise up the edge of the pan as it boils, throw in half a cup of lemon juice or white wine vinegar, Not balsamic, pickling or malt vinegar - the acid imparts some flavour to the cheese, so stick with lemon juice or white wine vinegar.

Keep heating and stirring for a couple of minutes, then take off the heat and allow to cool a little. When cooled, strain through muslin or just a clean tea towel to separate the curds from the whey. The whey can just go down the drain. From here you can either just cool the curds and break them up to use like a mince, or put between two plates and press (under a stack of other plates works well) and then chop into pieces like you would meat.

Next: Make curry
For the curry base, fry off chilli, onion, garlic and ginger in a wok or large pan, then add either a curry paste or a mix of spices (kalonji, cumin, coriander seed, turmeric, black pepper) to flavour the oil. Throw in either 4 finely chopped peeled tomatoes or a tin of plum tomatoes, chopped. Add a veggie stock cube and other seasoning to taste (I use Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco and Soy sauce a lot), and a little water. Throw in either a huge bag of spinach (because it shrinks like nobody's business) or some of the pelleted frozen chopped spinach. Allow to heat through, testing occasionally and simmer, then about 5 minutes before serving add the chopped/crumbled paneer.

Serve with basmati rice and naan breads.

... Grace is just the measure of a fall ...

Profile Email
Zahnnie
 Monday, July 27 2009 @ 05:10 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Drooooooooool.

That's it. I'm coming over the puddle just so you can all cook for me.

Mr. Green

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply