Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 A pedant writes.
 |  Printable Version
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 07:28 PM UTC (Read 1771 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

OK. I'm afraid this is going to be the most pedantic comment made on the island. I apologise in advance.
The encounter 'Gothic Heroine' is mostly a rather good encounter. I like it. However... there's the line 'she is staring at the moon, which is curious because it was noon just moments ago.' What is curious about staring at the moon at around noon time?
I had to say something because I've met some people who believe that as the sun comes out in the day, so the moon comes out at night. Presumably they think that solar eclipses are caused by sun eating dragons ar something.
The moon often comes out in the day, it just doesn't stand out quite so clearly seeing as how the sun tends to be out at the same time making the background sky rather brighter. It's still easy to see the moon if you look though.
OK grumble over. You can all laugh at how anal I am now.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 07:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Nah, that's okay. We all have our weird hangups and nit-pick over absurdities Smile. And, for what it's worth, I agree with you.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 07:37 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

For that matter, I'm looking at the moon right now! And I could have sworn it was noon just an hour or so ago.. Curious.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Dorque
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 08:56 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Equally, there are times when the moon is not visible during the day.

Honestly, there are a lot of comments in the monster blurbs that get a little weird after a few plays through (like when you're playing a Mutant and the blurb has you reacting in horror to all Mutants you see, or you're playing a Midget and talking about how much you pity Midgets. Just to name a few.)

I have some extremely minor nitpicks in my life too... but it's best not to let the ones on the Island get to you or you'll soon go crazy. Just go with the flow and remember, the Drive can cause all kinds of highly improbable effects,including being surprised at a daytime moon. Smile

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 10:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ahh, back when I was a midget, in a previous incarnation, I used to go round on stilts. At least part of the reason for this was so that the 'worlds tallest midget' coming up to my shoulders made sense. Sometimes I quite enjoy finding rationals for some of the apparent contradictions. I've recently decided that 'your honour' is the name of the bouncer at the Squathole branch of Joe's Dojo, as in 'your honour prevents you from using...' because for midgets it certainly couldn't be any sort of moral sensibilities could it now?

Profile Email
Stanlygirl
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 04:36 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Ahh, back when I was a midget, in a previous incarnation, I used to go round on stilts. At least part of the reason for this was so that the 'worlds tallest midget' coming up to my shoulders made sense. Sometimes I quite enjoy finding rationals for some of the apparent contradictions. I've recently decided that 'your honour' is the name of the bouncer at the Squathole branch of Joe's Dojo, as in 'your honour prevents you from using...' because for midgets it certainly couldn't be any sort of moral sensibilities could it now?

I laughed and laughed and laughed. Thanks, Hairy Mary.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 09:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thank you. It's nice to know that someone appreciates my witterings. Big Grin

Profile Email
Dorque
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 04:50 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Thank you. It's nice to know that someone appreciates my witterings. Big Grin

Oh, cleverness is always highly appreciated around here, by myself as much as anyone. Wink

Profile Email
Anonymous: Wayne
 Thursday, August 06 2009 @ 05:02 PM UTC  

nah ... that aint pedantic ... this is pedantic ...

In the opening speil I'm lying "in the middle of a clearing", but there is a camera in a tree "directly overhead". (I guess the camera is overhead, rather than the tree). Either I should be on the edge of the clearing, or the tree with a camera should be 'nearby'.

and

In the combat against recalled toys I'm attacked with "toxic levels of lead". Lead is toxic, period. I may be exposed to hazardous levels of lead, but it doesn't equate to "toxic levels".

Thats pedantic.

Notwithstanding these nitpicks ... love the game. Keep up the good work.

W.

(I apologise in retrospect).

Content generated in: 0.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply