Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 A suggestion to new players?
 |  Printable Version
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 08:07 PM UTC (Read 4182 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've noticed that with the massive increase in the number of players, a lot of rookies are asking questions in outposts other than Newhome. Now, I'm completely fine with a question here and there, but it can get excessive, because they will ask these questions in the middle of role playing by other characters.

While not exactly hazardous, it can get annoying when you are in the middle of a scene, and every three minutes someone is asking for directions to Kittania. Breaks up the pace, in my opinion.

I'm not trying to suggest that new players stop asking questions, but perhaps at least give a recommendation when an account is made that they should reserve questions for NewHome and Location Four? Or to at least ask the question in other outposts if it isn't interrupting anything else?

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 08:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quite agree with you Jon. I haven't been through the introduction that rookies have, does it make a point of mentioning Location Four? None of these people are being out of order in any way, they're just asking questions and finding their feet. We were all there once. Fair play, and I'm all for helping them. I pop into Location Four every time I'm on the Island to see if I can help anyone, and I notice that quite a few well known faces are there also, so they're likely to get an answer fairly soon, as long as they're not too impatient. Perhaps relabeling Location Four as 'Location Four, ASK FOR HELP HERE' (or 'ask questions here.') might help them as well, it's easy to forget what was written in an introduction that you read over a week ago.

Profile Email
Dorque
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 09:01 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I think part of the problem is.... not to put too fine a point on this, but....

Well, in my experience, the same kind of person who is inclined to ask a LOT of questions is exactly the same kind of person who doesn't read the newbie tutorials and the other information available in the first place.

It might help, but plugging it into the tutorial probably isn't going to make a whole lot of difference... although having some basic directions available in there (nothing concrete, just a general idea) might go a long way without really upsetting the balance of the game (since people can just get directions by asking anyway.)

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 10:16 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There's a lower level encounter who's exactly that sort of person in fact. Smile

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 10:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm with this as well, as everytime I log in, and no matter what outpost I'm based in for the night, there is someone who's asking "Where is this? What is that? How do I get here? What can I do with this?" It's fine in NewHome, and sometimes I'm inclined to wander around NewHome and just distract people answers to their questions so I don't even clutter it up.

Personally, I think the introduction should be a little bit more forceful, and a little bit more "READ IT, DAMNIT," about the Effayque. Or maybe the Effayque ought to be a little bit more specific about things like that, like explaining how to navigate pages, or mentioning that maybe you should look first before asking a question because someone has probably already asked it five minutes ago...

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 10:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Do you think it would be an idea to bar players from posting until they've read the effayque? If they try then a big notice comes up saying 'Read this damn thing first please.' Or would that be a bit too aggressive?
To be fair though, a lot of the questions are 'How can I find New Pittsburg / Pleasentville etc.?' which aren't in the FAQ and actually are role playing really. One or two questions like that would be fine, it's just as KK said, often the question has been just been answered two lines above, and reading entire pages of people asking directions repeatedly gets monotonous. Also, when you visit a town, you have to go back five pages to see other peoples role playing because it all goes off the top so fast and gets lost. I know I'm missing a lot of things because of this.
Side point, nothing like this is happening in the Spider Kitty or the Veteran's Club.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 01 2009 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In a diluted sense, sure, it's roleplaying.

It's just kind of bothersome to have to answer a question again, when just turning their eyes up the page a few lines will show them, "Kittania is that way."

And I believe there is something like that for the Effayque, where you need to read it before posting, but it doesn't quite seem to work.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
LeGrande
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 02:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

In a diluted sense, sure, it's roleplaying.

It's just kind of bothersome to have to answer a question again, when just turning their eyes up the page a few lines will show them, "Kittania is that way."

And I believe there is something like that for the Effayque, where you need to read it before posting, but it doesn't quite seem to work.

You know, if you had a "frequently annoyed quizmaster" monster that would reward you if you could prove you'd read the effaque, that might be a good incentive. Have a list of 12 secret words thrown around [secret word 1: like this] in the effaque, and the monster would ask you, for example, what secret word #6 was. If you got it wrong, you had to fight him as if you'd searched for a suicidal fight. If you got it right, you get a cig.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 03:05 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

**blinks** I would fail that, LeGrande, and I know pretty much everything about the Island.

Profile Email
LeGrande
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 03:10 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

It would get people to read the effayque several times, then ... at the very least, to write down what all the secret words are. Hopefully some of the other stuff will have migrated into the cerebral cortex.

Profile Email
Symar
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 03:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Do you think it would be an idea to bar players from posting until they've read the effayque? If they try then a big notice comes up saying 'Read this damn thing first please.' Or would that be a bit too aggressive?

For what it's worth, Kingdom of Loathing, which I had played for a few months a couple years ago, forced you to go through some long thing proving you knew basic grammar before you could even SEE the chat.
But their chat wasn't RP, it was just a side thing to the game.

I could see something like what you've suggested being done, though.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 04:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That sounds lovely, really it does...

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 04:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree that it's good for new players to read the FAQ, but I don't quite feel that will help much with this issue, really. It might help to add something to the FAQ, but, as Dorque said, a lot of the players who ask a large set of questions probably didn't read it anyway.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 06:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't really mind the questions to be frank. I think the benefits of the newer players far outweigh the odd bit of dramatic tension slightly pricked by a 'what can I do with cigarettes?'.

That's life.

For me, one of the unique selling points of this island is the kindly atmosphere that pervades. Any restrictions, either technical, or put in place by players could have the effect of making the Island feel less inclusive. If that was to happen, then the attrition rate would increase again, and we'd be left a core of twenty or so players again all incestuously living in each others pockets and poor Dan will have to go and find a job which pays him more than 45% of a burger-flipping-joint-short-order-chef's wage.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 06:29 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Bernard

I don't really mind the questions to be frank.

Major Frank! I'm glad that you're back from your R&R.

As for how to deal with the Rookies, I think that questions are fine. They get answered rather quickly in most situations, and tend to show how helpful our players are. Adding a bit to the FAQ about Location Four would be a bit nice, though there is a chance (read: near certainty) that new players would either skim over it or ignore it entirely.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 07:17 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

CMJ and we Moderators also get a lot of questions from rookies via Petitions. That's fine by me, though generally we prefer to use the Petitions systems for "help, I've encountered a bug" situations instead of "help, I don't understand something" questions. Personally, I don't mind answering questions on the outpost boards, but then I'm not really part of the roleplaying contingent. I don't think we can restrict access to the outpost boards to stop rookies from asking questions or interrupting roleplaying scenes in progress, though. We'll just think of any interruptions as "crowd noise" overheard in the background while the scene is being played out--intrusive, maybe, but just part of life. (Yeah, that's just my opinion, I'm not speaking on behalf of The Game, and others' views may vary.)

In addition to the FAQ, we can also direct rookies to the Forum and the Wiki, where a little research will probably turn up messages where other players have asked the same questions.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 07:53 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, it puts some of us in a rather awkward situation.

I mean, my character isn't very likely to say, "Hey, go to this link here to answer your question."

Hell, I doubt he'd even grunt something intelligible about it.

I'm just kind of caught because I want to help out, it's just the repetition of the questions, and the interruption of some scenes and things. Hell, maybe put in something of a heads up about how finicky roleplayers are about their scenes in the FAQ?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Bernard
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 08:13 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

Well, it puts some of us in a rather awkward situation.

I mean, my character isn't very likely to say, "Hey, go to this link here to answer your question."

Hell, I doubt he'd even grunt something intelligible about it.

I'm just kind of caught because I want to help out, it's just the repetition of the questions, and the interruption of some scenes and things. Hell, maybe put in something of a heads up about how finicky role-players are about their scenes in the FAQ?

But you'll answer them in distraction - so you do help out. I personally start reminiscing about how things used to be, and wishing I'd never married Emily as she broke my heart, and my charm rating and then bemoaning the fact no-one ever gives up their seat at Joe's Diner for the elderly any more, when all I want to do is boost my stamina a tad.

Why not, in the distraction you send, offer the new player an 'in' to the scene as well as the answer they need? Make the 'role-playing' even more inclusive. Most of the scenes have some thought and planning involved, why not think up some supplemental roles that can be enjoyed by those who will inevitably ask about which monsters give you the best meat?

Or, even better - "How can you ask about meat at a time like this?! Can you not see that Sessine, who always enjoyed a nice steak cut from the haunch of a panthzer has had his winkle trapped in a zip for a month?! Say! Do YOU know how to extricate a count from a zip-fastener?"

EDIT: Sorry Sessine, but for some reason you were the first person who sprang to mind.

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 09:25 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A lot of the questions are about how to get places. Would it be an idea to pin up a crude 'mini map' somewhere in IC? Not the full thing, just something drawn up in biro on the back of an old envelope. A rough oval with some crosses on and names written next to them. It's quite hard enough to get to CC404 when you know where it is. If you're a rookie then it's days of travel never knowing if you're going to end up anywhere. At least let them know that there's somewhere in that rough direction. Then when someone asks 'How do I get to...' or 'Where else is there?' they can be pointed to the map without having to break the role play illusion.

Profile Email
LeGrande
 Sunday, August 02 2009 @ 10:47 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

As far as getting places, why not have someone at the Council or the Chop Shop be able to give rough directions to nearby locations, much like the Newbie Advisory gives directions to IC and Kit from NewHome? Heck, you could make it cost req or cigs or both. But then again, that's why there are the teleporters, so that travelers who don't want to deal with getting lost have an option.

*lightbulb*

Why not have the person who is giving directions in each Council or Chop Shop always be able to direct you in the general direction of IC, but no other town? You'd still have to locate everything or one-shot there, but then you could get rough directions back to IC. So it gives you important information, but doesn't spoil the luxury of getting a map.

Another option is to make a map one of the things you can find when traveling.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.72 seconds
New Topic Post Reply