Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Dwellings
 |  Printable Version
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I am not a fan of taking tents over a mansion, to be perfectly blunt.

Characters that enjoy lavish and large will not be satisfied with having a tent, no matter how big it gets.

Totally up for the added feature, but I really would like to keep the ability to have an actual, standing dwelling. Something that, you know, wasn't so very very odd and strange. It's good to have a little bit normalcy here and there, no?

I like the direction it is going, and it'll lead to having some pretty cool features with what Roleplayers can do, but I really don't like the idea of giving up dwellings for it.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:02 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If Glop is to be acquired by means other than spending DP, I propose a Housekeeping Skill.

JUST BECAUSE.

Annnd... I'd rather keep the outpost dwellings. Tents for the map, shacks for the towns. A housekeeping skill would make more sense then, also. Cheaper upkeep.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:04 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

@Sic:

Living Tents are an excellent idea. You could run into live ones and capture them as you roam around the map, and keep them in your Inventory for later. And they could shiver in ecstasy whenever they've got someone inside them.

It's so wrong, it's right.

YES!

Also, i love the idea of upgradeable tents, that everyone can pitch in on. Natrually a better tent needs to feed more and it more prone to damage and attacks.
Im thinking speciall tent-improbable events that happens on each new fixed game day(and possibly minor tent events that can happen to saved new days too), stuff like; "During the night a ghastly wolf pack was spotted circling the tent. Fortunally tents have very good survival instingcts and it fled the scene before any harm was done" and everyone in the tent, and the tent itself, will be a a new random location or possibly it could fail to run leaving both the tent and everyone in damaged and possibly will a loss of stamina.

Another neat thing would be if you forget to feed your tent, there's a small chance that it will feed on you while you sleep leaving the player severely damaged/killed while the tent recovers a little/some/all health.

Last thoughts, upgradeable sleeping quarters, call them puffy bladders, soft cysts or smooth tomours (or not), maybe it will work like the stamina skills the more people sleep in the tent the more efficient it gets or maybe you gotta pay to upgrade it or possibly having the tent upgrade itself after just existing for a period of time. Bottom line is that you will get more stamina at the start of each day. Depending on the size of the stamina boost the tent would get a higher upkeep cost, possibly let it be an infinitly big stamina bost but make it so that if you wanna get an extra 50% it'll be some 500 DP per day for the tent?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:07 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Quote by: Zolotisty

Alright -- I really like the direction Tents are taking now; no complaints -- but, to clarify..

*strokes chin* These would totally take the place of a dwelling-dwelling? No more opportunity for people to build in Outposts anymore, no residential district?

I'm leaning more towards that idea, yes. Of course, this idea is only a baby, yet - just hours old. It's still all squishy and malleable.

Can we name our tents?

If we eventually end up having multiple tents in one Map square, we're kinda gonna have to.

EDIT: Where does Glop come from, how do I get it, is it a Monster Drop, can I harvest it from the riverbanks outside of SquatHole.. etc.![/p]

I would imagine that Glop would be primarily a DP purchase.
The World Map is quite a resource-heavy module. Hooking into it with a big thing like this will make it even moreso. So, this module will pay for the server upgrade it'll inevitably require. Razz Pleasantly, it'll do it in a way that'll increase the amount of money available as the amount of required resources increases.
Oh, I'm sure there could be Other Ways of getting Glop - IItem crates spring immediately to mind, and perhaps (once I get the Combine function sorted in IItems) we could have the player mix up a bucket of Glop using a whole load of Crap Meat and a broken-open Power Pill, or something like that. I do intend for it to be something that non-donating players can enjoy, but I'm gonna make it much easier on donating/recruiting players. Wink

Profile Email Website
Skidge
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Okay, first and foremost, man tents sound awesome.

Secondly: I have a very, very one-track mind, so please keep in mind when I throw my support wholeheartedly into keeping outpost Dwellings that my ENTIRE POINT IN DOING SO is because I WANT A PUBLIC LIBRARY.

Well, and the Baricade back. But that's neither here nor there.

I want a Library and if I have to build it myself, I will do so. On that count, IS THERE ANY CHANCE that Dwellings can be, ah, programmable?

Profile Email
lelila
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:13 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I'm really liking the idea of tents... but, we still need our shacks and cottages and mansions, too! We're talking tents in-addition, and not tents completely-instead-of, right? Dwellings are so important to so many role-players...

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:15 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Alright -- primary thought if the Glop is mostly DP based.. that's fine and will encourage a frenzy of donating from the core players, and it will also encourage people to make friends so that they can mooch off of other folks' tents, but I think in addition to this, we should have some sort of Dwelling-system that maintains SOME presence in the Outposts so that people who are either non-sociable hermits or people who would pay you if they could but really just can't afford to can have some sort of Dwelling-y roof over their heads. Or people who can't log on often enough to keep up with their tent but would like a Place for their character to say, 'hey that is my home.'

Or for people who end up specializing in Jungle-fighting and so don't wander around the map.

Do not totally scrap Dwellings. There is a certain appeal to having a, you know, non-living house to be in, instead of this wonderfully monstrous tent-thing. (do they have eyes. ohgod, do they have eyes. can i play fetch with my tent. will it greet me eagerly if i leave it alone for too long.)

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I have two things to say-- Loving tents more and more, and PLEASE let us have dwellings, too,
perhaps you could even tie in the same module for use in the Locals area of cities.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:19 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Y'see, I'm seeing Tents as an automatically-evolving Dwelling, that starts off being like a Shack, then grows through Cottage to Mansion and beyond. A Tent that was mature enough could be a Mansion, y'see.

I think that removing the distinction would open up new RP possibilities - rather than having folks constrained to Cottages, Mansions or Shacks, a structure with a canonically-approved, living, breathing Deus Ex Machina at its heart could be anything. Library, movie theater, whatever you want. Just stick it in the various description fields, and off you go. Smile

That's my viewpoint - and like I say, it ain't set in stone, this idea is still very much a squishy one so please feel free to try to change it. Wink

Oh BTW Skidge, an actually-programmed Library is on my to-do list.

EDIT: That is to say, we could make it so that a Tent with a high enough Maturity could actually grow a structure around it. It may be that your sixty-bedroom Mansion made of stone and brick was conjured up by the tiny little Tent that one day put its roots down in the Mansion's basement.

Oh, and Zolo - yes, of course they have eyes! It's funnier that way. Razz

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:21 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Right, the ability to paint over it appeals.

However, I don't want to deal with feeding a normal house with Donator points. Nor do I really like the thought of maintaining. There's a point where Realism is just... Bothersome, you know? Ever play Flashpoint elite? Sure, realistic. Forty minutes radio chatter, three minutes gunfight. Mission accomplished. Is boring, and I didn't like it. Even though it was realistic as Hell.

Gathering materials, yes. Totally up for mining stone and whatnot to customize a house, but to have to deal with upkeep and that? That just sounds down right annoying, to be perfectly honest.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Beeker
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:21 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Hmmmmm...

why not huts with chicken legs, Baba Yaga style?

Somehow that makes them seem more like things I might need to feed. Chicken feed, and all.

I can understand the need for more cool things to do with Donor Points, to attract more donors, though I would suggest that the initial outlay be in DP's (something relatively high, 1000 DP?) and the upkeep be in something harvestable in game. This will also mean that dwellings owned by players who leave will fade and disappear (or walk off, Baba Yaga style). Oh, upgrades would also be in DP's, I would think.

Maybe also, every once in a while your hut gets up and walks off, and you enlist the aid of your friends to help you find it. Once found you can tell it to go back home.

This has been a somewhat brainstormy and disjointed message by Beeker, who didn't get enough sleep last night.

Profile Email
Kuroiten
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:22 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

An interesting point I thought of on reading this topic...if the Tents are living beings, what's to stop them from wandering around while you sleep? You could fall asleep just north of Squat Hole and wake up to the east of AceHigh if your Tent was particularly bored, if they were so inclined.

Judging by the chaos, I've been here already.

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Right, I'm warming to the idea of tents. However, like others, I reeeeeeally hope we can still have some sort of city dwellings still.

Making tents cost DPs makes sense, seeing as they could be moved about the map, but I think it'd be a bit unfair to lock out dwellings to those who don't have any points.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:24 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*goggles*

*totally loses the train of conversation*

Really? REALLY?! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

JOE I WAS GOING TO LEARN ME SOME PHP JUST SO I COULD BUILD A LIBRARY AND BLOODY WELL GIVE IT TO YOU.

*gets back onto the tracks of the actual conversation*

Ahem. Can we make it possible, assuming that the Cooking skill gets more interesting, to cook meals for other people in Dwellings?

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Ooooh, I like the idea of wandering tents. Leave yours alone for too long, and you have to go track it down. Forget to lock it, and somebody can steal it.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:27 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

As a Tent grows in maturity, its outward appearance does not change.

People are going to keep balking at this, I think, no matter how Harry Potter magicky cool they get on the inside. If you do the exciting gross-out text as I expect you will.. then it doesn't matter, really, if you're coming home to the Taj Mahal if you have to step through a quivering flap of subtly excreting tissue which thrills under your touch and pulses with anticipation of its next batch o' Glop. That is still a terrifying living thing that you're making a home in, especially when people will go, 'UM, UM, CAN I.. CAN I HAVE SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T BREATHE WHILE I TRY TO SLEEP. CAN I HAVE.. ..CAN I HAVE WINDOWS.. ...GLASS ONES.. NOT CHITINOUS SEMI-TRANSPARENT EYE-LENSES?'

Trainable, levelable Dwelling? AWESOME. Only option? Lesss awesomeee.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
lelila
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:29 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Seconded.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:30 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Hmm. Wandering Tents could be troublesome - it's thematically interesting, sure, but say you logged off, logged back on to continue a conversation, and your bloody chatspace had buggered off somewhere over the system-newday?

I personally think that sounds hilarious, but then, if it actually happened to me, I'd be kinda miffed. Razz

(the way I see it happening, a Tent would put down roots and stay in one place, once it'd been set there)
(perhaps wandering chatspaces as a different form of Tent?)

Profile Email Website
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:30 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

As a Tent grows in maturity, its outward appearance does not change.

People are going to keep balking at this, I think, no matter how Harry Potter magicky cool they get on the inside. If you do the exciting gross-out text as I expect you will.. then it doesn't matter, really, if you're coming home to the Taj Mahal if you have to step through a quivering flap of subtly excreting tissue which thrills under your touch and pulses with anticipation of its next batch o' Glop. That is still a terrifying living thing that you're making a home in, especially when people will go, 'UM, UM, CAN I.. CAN I HAVE SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T BREATHE WHILE I TRY TO SLEEP. CAN I HAVE.. ..CAN I HAVE WINDOWS.. ...GLASS ONES.. NOT CHITINOUS SEMI-TRANSPARENT EYE-LENSES?'

Agree wholly. The walls can be intestines, but you can be damned sure I'm painting right over them.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Wandering Tent = EntTent?

Also, fourthing Zolotisty.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.74 seconds
New Topic Post Reply