Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Dwellings
 |  Printable Version
Skidge
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, you'd have to leave it alone for a WHILE; say, a week or so. Leave it alone for a month, and someone else could claim it.

Edited: Ooooh...never mind on the "claim it".

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:34 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Skidge

Well, you'd have to leave it alone for a WHILE; say, a week or so. Leave it alone for a month, and someone else could claim it.

Claiming something that costs DP? No, absolutely not. If I have to pay DP for something, ain't no one taking it.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yeah, having chitinous windows would be fancy and all, but I'd really rather believe I wasn't sleeping inside of something that was a sin against god and nature. Especially since I can say the inside is just a giant grassy field with actual sky instead of some quivering layer of flesh.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:38 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

How's this.. what if, after your Tent had gone through all of its growth stages.. it dies and leaves a husk. This husk would then be a remodel-able exterior, yeah?

Edit: This way, everyone wins. Also, you can weep as you chip away exterior layers of your beloved Tent to replace its veins with mortar and stone.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

How's this.. what if, after your Tent had gone through all of its growth stages.. it dies and leaves a husk. This husk would then be a remodel-able exterior, yeah?

Edit: This way, everyone wins. Also, you can weep as you chip away exterior layers of your beloved Tent to replace its veins with mortar and stone.

Fancy idea. Then you don't have to keep feeding it, either.

Profile Email
Symar
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:41 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

What if you could plop down a tent in-town? Perhaps in a glop-field, so it'd cost less glop to maintain, but you're restricted by being able to only put it in a town.
That could satisfy the town-dweller arguement, maybe?

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:41 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Rosin

I'm thinking you'd still have to manage up-keep somehow.. some ether to keep the SOUL OF THE TENT haunting your building so that it would not improbably crumble away to dust; but you'd keep all of your upgrades otherwise, and still be able to upgrade its GHOST POWER.

Or something.

I don't know.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'm thinking you'd still have to manage up-keep somehow.. some ether to keep the SOUL OF THE TENT haunting your building so that it would not improbably crumble away to dust; but you'd keep all of your upgrades otherwise, and still be able to upgrade its GHOST POWER.

Or something.

I don't know.

In all honesty? I think these two things need to be separated entirely. Tents are a great idea. I love dwellings. Keep them apart, I don't want some weird hybrid mutant taking the place of my Compound.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:43 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

TENT SOULS. They'd haunt your dreams if you slept outside their once pulsating walls.

Or, you know, whatever.

Edit:

KK has a damned good point. While tents would be special things you could use to put yourself on the map (bad pun intended) you should still be able to have actual city dwellings. Not as magical and upgradeable as the tent probably, but still.

Profile Email
lelila
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:44 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

In all honesty? I think these two things need to be separated entirely. Tents are a great idea. I love dwellings. Keep them apart, I don't want some weird hybrid mutant taking the place of my Compound.

SECONDED. Very, very seconded.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:48 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Thirding KK. I want my Baricade to be a standing dwelling, not a tent-thing. I'm happy with tents as an addition, but not so much as a replacement.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:50 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Okay, so assuming that Dwellings and Tents are to be kept separate, that brings us back to our original question:

Dwellings as they stand now are a bit pants. How can we make them more S2-Appropriate in a way that won't take me bloody forever, and will still keep Tents as the more-awesome option?

Profile Email Website
Zolotisty
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:53 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

OK -- what's fast for you to code, now? What do we have in the toolkit? Chiefly, what would be enjoyable for you to code? These are tricky questions but the primary requests for dwellings come down to: make them neat to build, let people have more rooms, let people do stamina-related things in them, let people store limited meat and maybe an iitem. How fast is it for you to whack together an iimodule where I can harvest lumber from Forest squares? Or clay from Swamp squares? I am guessing Not Very Fast.

Edit: How fast is it to hide a general contractor somewhere on the Map? I know you said subplots are loooooooong to code, but what happens if I have to run around playing the market with eBoy and negotiating for nails and juggling shit in my bandolier and dying of an overfull backpack as I scrabble valiantly across the map with a caravan of building equipment?

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:54 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Okay, so assuming that Dwellings and Tents are to be kept separate, that brings us back to our original question:

Dwellings as they stand now are a bit pants. How can we make them more S2-Appropriate in a way that won't take me bloody forever, and will still keep Tents as the more-awesome option?

Give us more rooms,
Give us a way to customize it. Suppose instead of me building a mansion, and it being called in the listings 'A Mansion' why not let us call them what we like, 'A Compound,' or 'A library' or 'A Citadel.'

Give us more room to write the descriptions for things. Whatever the number for it was before? Was far too little. Hell, I could write paragraphs, (And somehow did, actually,) about the insides of my houses.

The ability to find the materials as a discount to buying them ourselves. I think it'd be fun to go out and play lumber jack or stone miner for some of the materials that we need.

Training bonuses, there is no reason why I cannot practice cooking in my own kitchen.

Stamina bonuses. Sleeping in my own comfy bed is a lot better than on the ground someplace.

Services inside. What's a mansion without a cook? Suppose paying for some supplies to be dropped off, have your cooks make something for you instead of needing to go out to eat.

Locks on individual rooms and the like. I don't want the kids getting into the armory, they'll shoot their eyes out.

Edit: This is me throwing things out of my head. If it's easy to code, good on ya. If not, Hell, I can wait. We have been for a while, what's a little more?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, having them give a small stamina boost and a scrapbot garage you have to pay repairmen (or midgets) to take care of would be good for dwellings.

As for the tents being more awesome? They're on the map (awesome), they grow (also awesome), and if you can write up a description like Z managed to come up with in her oh so delightfully twisted head (AWESOME) then we can most assuredly say that it's already more awesome.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 10:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

More rooms (chatspaces) and the ability to train yourself in them. I have a kitchen, ergo I can spend stamina learning how to do the bloody washing up more effectively. I have a shed, ergo I can spend stamina and req. hammering on scrap. I have a bedroom, ergo I can spend time by myself touching Percy.

EDIT: Blimey. In THREE minutes you have much in the way of consensus.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 11:00 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

OK, now I'm looking at Tents vs. Dwellings -- I think these should have significant functionality differences to justify their mutual existence. One of them should be able to do some things, another should be able to do others, so that people have to think carefully about which they choose first. I think people should be able to get both, but it should not be easy for people to get both. Dwellings are obviously stationary; Tents can be more-mobile than that.. but, other ways to make this Choiceful for people?

Edit: To be clearer, what can I do in a dwelling that I can't do in a tent? and vice versa.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 11:02 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Oh BTW - the way I imagine Tents expiring is gradual.

Tents have hidden, I-Dimensional stomachs that expand to hold all the food that you give them at once, and then they gradually use it to make themselves bigger. You can't overfeed a Tent - just chuck your hundred cans of Glop in there and leave it to it. You'll have a readout in the TentOwner menu that will show you your Tent's current Glop reserves.

So, rather than having $maturity, $life and $dailyGlopRequired variables, we'd have $size, $glop and $dailyGlopRequired (which for the sake of my poor skinned fingertips, we'll call $glopreq from now on).

So, say you've got 100 cans of Glop stored in your Tent's labyrinthine stomach. At system-newday, your Tent would grow by up to ten $size, as long as it has enough Glop to support it (one $glop = one $size). So, by feeding your tent more Glop, it will grow faster.

Conversely, if you go without feeding your Tent, it will decrease in $size by its daily $glopreq value. Features will gradually get deactivated as the Tent drops below the required $size to sustain them (naturally this will affect $glopreq, making the final stages very gradual), until finally the Tent shrinks down to the size of a pea and nobody can get inside. At which point it'll burrow into the earth and bugger off to wherever Tents go.

So, your Tent won't just suddenly vanish one day if you forget to feed it - you'll have plenty of notice. Smile

Profile Email Website
Rosin
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 11:06 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Edit: To be clearer, what can I do in a dwelling that I can't do in a tent? and vice versa.

Well one would think you'd definitely sleep better at night knowing you weren't in some living breathing monstrosity.

Things to do in a tent:

Move your house on occasion (great for avoiding stalkers), have your house grow new compartments on its own instead of needing to build them, don't need keys since you can tell the tent who to let in

Things to do in a dwelling:

Store heavy cooking equipment for better exp gain, Store a refrigerator, get a training dojo for some (small) fighting skill exp, scrapbot garage

Profile Email
Bernard
 Saturday, August 08 2009 @ 11:11 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well one would think you'd definitely sleep better at night knowing you weren't in some living breathing monstrosity.

Things to do in a tent:

Move your house on occasion (great for avoiding stalkers), have your house grow new compartments on its own instead of needing to build them, don't need keys since you can tell the tent who to let in

Things to do in a dwelling:

Store heavy cooking equipment for better exp gain, Store a refrigerator, get a training dojo for some (small) fighting skill exp, scrapbot garage

...Have a nice garden and gnomes. I CAN'T flippin' WELL DO THAT IN A TENT! I can only like awake at night, sweating, wondering what/ who it is creeping around outside silhouetted by the bright moonlight. Who or what is making that horrific scritching noise. HAVE A BLINKING LOO. I'm too old to be wiping my puckered up Seville orange on a dock-leaf, for Lorraine Kelly's sake!

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.71 seconds
New Topic Post Reply