Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Dwellings
 |  Printable Version
Symar
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 01:33 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Same. Just make the finished Tents, give them to us, and then finish up town dwellings.

Profile Email
Giuseppe Lorenzo
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 03:09 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Even though I eagerly await Dwellings to return, I would prefer a Tent because I could be what I have always wanted to be: An insane hermit living in the Swamp. With terrible hygiene.

Profile Email
Tor NaGoth
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 03:27 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree with 'go for the finished product'... as long as it is relatively soon. ;o)

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 04:20 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Just throwing in my two-cents: I cannot stress enough how much we should have dwellings. Regular dwellings, too. The tents? Awesome idea, I love what little I've read in this thread. But I really do want houses, and not just freakish Zerg buildings, either. Wood and siding houses. Like KK said, we need a little bit of normalcy here and there.

I'll go with whatever's decided, of course (not going to throw a temper tantrum if regular buildings are nixed), but I feel pretty strongly about this. We need normal dwellings.

And if this has already been decided--I've only read the first couple of pages because I'm having trouble concentrating--then my apologies.

Profile Email
Bernard
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 07:19 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

While we're on the subject, one thing that I really don't like about Dwellings:

Having three different damn types.

All three different types will need different resources and costs, have different features, and at the very core, no matter how much you dick with the description, it's always going to be a Shack, Cottage or Mansion with fancy makeup on.

The way I see it, if a player wants to write a Museum, let 'em. Now, this is where the $size val comes into play, if we rewrite.

Tents will increase their $size via Glop. Dwellings will increase their $size via other resources. So, we're gonna end up with a system where all Dwellings start off as the equivalent of Shacks, and then increase in size with extra rooms and better materials, which will "unlock" more areas where players can change the descriptions. Having multiple different routes that a player can take (IE they can have a Healer or a Training room at 50 $size, but must get 200 $size before they can do both) will give some functional uniqueness to each place (as well as the descriptive uniqueness that you guys naturally provide ), and help alleviate the sense of a player's Barracks being just a Mansion with a Barracks sign. Smile

This, I love.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 10:40 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

So, anyone of you have some loving memories of going on a trip one summer with your friends and loved ones? Living on a camping site, setting up your tents in a neat circle, grilling sausages over the open fire, just loving life.
THAT is what tents are all about!(IRL) Get together with your friends and even total strangers that happen to come by with a smile on their face. Everyone is allways welcome, extra welcome is they bring coffee/beer/food.

Putting this in a easier to undrestand way, also adding stuff to make tent more awesome than dwellings.
If you set up your tent close to a friend you, and the tent, will be happier(thus getting more benefits) but if there's too many tents it will get crowded and stressfull (bad).
Cooking out in the wilde is a totally different experience that doing it in a proper kitchen, everything you do seems to taste much better(thus giving you more stamina if you cook in a tent). Being out with your friends will also energize you, so will the adventurous experience of sleeping in a tent(more stamina per game day). Natrually it will make you feel great too, adding a buff that will increase hp/decrease stamina cost/incease attack/increase defence.
If you're setting up your tent, a tasty piece of meat, in the middle of a jungle you're bound to get attacked by monsters, sometimes the tent could kill them and feed itself, leaving you with the spare req gained from the kill, sometimes it will take damage and sometimes you will take damage, there should be a skill for the tent to improve attack capabilities(and a buff for being close to other tents as they help eachother out). With a tent, there's an infinite possibility for improbable events.
If you feed your tent it will grow on its own, getting better pretty much automatically. If you want your dwelling to get better you gotta renovate it yourself.

As for dwellings. You will have to build them yourself, costing stamina (and reg/cigs/dp) and possibly other materials, if you want you dwelling to be better/bigger you have to make it so on your own (carpenter skill anyone?) or hire someone to do it for you (for a cost of some dp, depending on the size of the job) this would also make it done faster and abviously save you stamina.
There is no out-partying-with-your-friends-buff for sleeping in a dwelling, all the benefits is simply a small comfort bonus to starting stamina.
It should be possible to make a garage, as previously mentioned, of limited size. You could also build a gym and lose that extra fat you got from eating 5 sausage feast pizzas, and possibly with the effect of the gym in Squat hole. A kitchen is a good idea, it will lower the cost of cooking. Also mentioned before was oven and fridge, it should mean there's an electric bill to pay. So it would be neat with more electric devices, buying a TV that could give you a random buff/debuff when you watch it (it could be possible to have TV and such in a tent, with a solar panel upgrade), imagine actually being able to sit down and WATCH improbable island.
If you cant pay the bills, they will either cut your electricity(making you lose charm from the shame of having everyone see you cant afford to pay the bills) or the electric maffia would come and cut your hands off (it could be possible to bribe the maffia with dp so you wont have to pay the bills for a certain about of time). Ofcourse you will only have to pay the bills if you use anything that needs power.

Turned out to be quite a wall of text there.. but this simply has huge potential. Dan, you should definatly wait with this until it's properly done. You can allways add more events, room and functions later on though.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 04:40 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE AND I AM IN LOVE.

*darts by*

you guys have no idea how cool they will be ahhhh.

AAAAAH.

PHP Formatted Code
</teaser trailer>

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
SicPuess
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 04:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

*tries as hard as possibly not to think of the possible coyote/livingtent offspring*

*fails miserably*

So, err... would we be able to marry a tent...

Profile Email
Hairy Mary
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 04:55 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

SicPeuss, you've got a deeply disturbed mind. And this is why you fit in so well round here.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Sunday, August 09 2009 @ 05:28 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

HAPPILY MARRIED, A'THAAANKYOU. Evil

though really i might reconsider on account of this and [CENSORED] seems to be getting on very well with [CENSORED] so maybe

wait, what am i saying --

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Bee Bee
 Monday, August 10 2009 @ 12:34 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Just for my two cents. I started my clan (Brewmaster's Guild) on the notion that the Dwellings would be areas that ae generally user programmable. For example, I would like to create a Brewery around Squathole that people could go into and purchase the same drinks as at the Prancing Spiderkitty for the same prices. (So there is no play balance problems) So I can rp actally being Brewmaster B.B. rather than giving away "fake" drinks like I did in S1. I like the idea of locked and unlocked rooms so I can have "factory tours". I would like the abilty to add description for the locked rooms as well. Maybe as another room that could be purchased and connected or not connected. For example:

Factory Floor (Locked): A rather burly midget with a rock drill stops you as you start to walk towards the factory floor. He says gruffly, "There's no factory tour today." Taking a look at the drill that is now in your stomach, you decide to wait for the next factory tour.

Factory Floor (Unlocked): As you wait for the tour to start, you see a network executive attached to a chain standing in the factory doorway. He seems to look rather shabby as if he has just been dragged out of the jungle.

[ETC.]

Brewmaster B.B.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Tuesday, August 11 2009 @ 01:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Honestly, I'd just be happy with a place I can role-play at that I don't have to travel out of an outpost to get to. It's very difficult to do much story related in the outposts comment space, now, especially with the massive influx of players ever since season 2 started. It's nice to have role-playing where anyone can get involved, but with the more complex things? You just can't have someone else walking in who has no idea what you're talking about. But, you can't blame them for wanting to jump in if you've been talking about something serious in an outpost for 30 minutes straight. Other people want to play, too.

Profile Email
nothing
 Tuesday, August 11 2009 @ 05:02 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

look! a post from a newb! read or disregard, it's your choice!

It sounds to me like a tent is a dwelling. I've read everyone's posts and comments about how they really want brick/wood/mortar dwellings in towns. From what I've read on the idea of tents, this seems like it would blend seamlessly. You aquire a tent, plant it in town, and upgrade it to become whatever you want.

My ideas, for whatever they're worth.

Say a tent costs 500 DP. That translates as 10,000 Req. Since DP are more valuable to the site - let's double the req requirement to purchase a tent. 20k req. That get's you exactly what it sounds like. 4 walls and a roof - semi-portable. It starts of with a base coffer of say 1000 Tent Points. A basic tent will consume 100 TP per day, which gives it a lifespan - unfed - of 10 game days. How do you feed it? There should be lots of options. You can feed it straight req - 10 req per TP. 50 DP per 2000 TP, keeping with the trend. TP do not get wiped by a DK, which means you could funnel all your excess req into your tent for upgrades etc. You can't get anything back out from it, so there's no unbalancing of the game.

upgrades - i like the cookstove, bed, fridge, etc. Tired of the canvas walls? Upgrade to wood. Want stone, and towering buttresses? Upgrade. What if you don't want to be the only person footing the bill for your tent. what if you want to build your tent into your clan fortress, or a pub for you and your friends to hang out in? Add a bar. sell drinks to your customers - they hand over req which gets converted to TP. They get beverages just like from Dan at Spiderkitty, your tent gets income. Add rooms on and rent them out to customers for the day - you just became a hotel or brothel (take your pick) and the rooms are time-limited private chat areas for the purchasers - and your tent gets income. Set up your own kitchen and sell food - if it costs you 40 TP to sell a steak, and 500 req for a customer to buy it, you just made a profit of 10 TP. You could even set your own prices and give discounts to friends/clan members - but remember that everything costs TP and if you don't have enough at the end of the day in the coffer to support your upgrades you loose them... and can even loose the tent itself if the coffer gets to 0.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Wednesday, August 12 2009 @ 07:26 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I want an RV or an airstream trailer (can a zombie donkey pull a trailer?). I like the idea of wandering baba yaga tents, especially while you're asleep in them. Imagine waking up on a random part of the Island.

Also, some people seem to have a rather constrained perception of tents. Tents (in the real world) can be as simple and crude as a tarp or as elaborate and luxurious as a portable palace.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, August 12 2009 @ 02:42 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

However these portable palaces may be by design, they are nothing like the Glory of the Victoria Compound.

-sigh..-
I miss it so... And no tent could ever replace the parade grounds, the walls, the sniper towers, the barracks, armory, garage, or Compound Proper, not even if it were stitched from threads of gold...

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Bernard
 Wednesday, August 12 2009 @ 07:29 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

However these portable palaces may be by design, they are nothing like the Glory of Dunbernarding.

-sigh..-
I miss it so... And no tent could ever replace the manicured lawns, the begonias, the shed, the wallpaper, armoire, garage, or two reception rooms, not even if it were stitched from threads of gold...

Profile Email
Anonymous: Enada
 Wednesday, August 12 2009 @ 07:55 PM UTC  

Yeah, I'm seeing DP and thinking that's nice, but not something I can get (is poor student Cry ) so you need a dwelling that has nothing to do with donator points for us people that try hard to make the game fun for everybody, but haz no moneys. I'd say houses in towns should be stuff you buy and upgrade through sheer work, and tents can be DP. Also, the tent food shouldn't be too expensive, or, if you want to upgrade your tent really fast and make it the best tent evah it can be expensive, but maintaining it shouldn't be expensive (reasons I stopped playing Maple Story, cool stuff cost too much money, then it went away within hours) spending ten dollars a week just to keep an rp device sounds totally uncool.

and and and, when's the next big contest event? (is sad that her donator points from s1 went away Cry )

Hairy Mary
 Wednesday, August 12 2009 @ 11:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Enada

Yeah, I'm seeing DP and thinking that's nice, but not something I can get (is poor student Cry ) so you need a dwelling that has nothing to do with donator points for us people that try hard to make the game fun for everybody, but haz no moneys. I'd say houses in towns should be stuff you buy and upgrade through sheer work, and tents can be DP. Also, the tent food shouldn't be too expensive, or, if you want to upgrade your tent really fast and make it the best tent evah it can be expensive, but maintaining it shouldn't be expensive (reasons I stopped playing Maple Story, cool stuff cost too much money, then it went away within hours) spending ten dollars a week just to keep an rp device sounds totally uncool.

and and and, when's the next big contest event? (is sad that her donator points from s1 went away Cry )

You should have kept your DP in the move across to S2. Somethings gone wrong there.

Profile Email
Epaphus
 Thursday, August 13 2009 @ 12:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Did you not get your S1 donor points restored when Season 2 started, or have you spent them already?

Profile Email
Enada
 Friday, August 21 2009 @ 04:53 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Quote by: Epaphus

Did you not get your S1 donor points restored when Season 2 started, or have you spent them already?

no, although i stopped playing S1 at the end, but I had a nice amount of DP saved from winning contests and presidential elections, and didn't get any of that when I remade myself for season 2. Maybe the feact that I stopped playing S1 is why the points went away? ;.;

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply