Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Gifting
 |  Printable Version
Deadmeat
 Thursday, August 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM UTC (Read 994 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Joe,
I understand you're busy, (and, by the way, good on you!) but what originally attracted me to the II community was the unique Gift Economy. I'd really like that back, please.
I don't mind losing all my req, stuff, and equipment. I just wish I could give some of it away beforehand. Seriously, I really miss that. It fostered a community of folks that really seemed to care about each other, and that seems to be missing from Season 2.
I'm not trying to say that you haven't done a wonderful job with S2, what you've done is incredible. I just miss the ability to give lavish gifts to complete strangers on a lark.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Friday, August 28 2009 @ 01:12 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I agree that it was a great feature, but unfortunately there was a lot of ways to abuse it, so the rules would need to be altered a bit.

Profile Email
crashtestpilot
 Friday, August 28 2009 @ 09:52 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

One man's abuse is another's generosity.
So, um, yeah. Meh.
The trickle of cash via the banking system really...really...slows. things. down.
-CTP

Profile Email
Fergus
 Saturday, August 29 2009 @ 03:40 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Well, there is a gifting station planned where you can ship up to 5 IItems that weigh less than a certain amount, but CMJ hasn't gotten to coding it yet.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, August 29 2009 @ 05:37 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

That's coded, actually -- it was live for the very beginning of S2 and then got disabled for.. presumably abuse reasons in that first mad rush where everything in the Trading Posts cost 10 req and you could fling stuff at other people with wild abandon. Last I knew, it was pretty low on CMJ's list of things to fuss about.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Saturday, August 29 2009 @ 02:13 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Nah, it was disabled 'cause it didn't bleedin' work. Razz The recipient got the gifts, all right - but the gifter got to keep them for himself too.

Profile Email Website
Beeker
 Saturday, August 29 2009 @ 04:32 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

That's not good!

Hey, here's an idea I was thinking about as I fell asleep last night:

Once per newday, you can go to the carrier pigeon place. There, you may choose to give up one item and specify a recipient.

There is an Improbable Event that can be encountered in the village, the jungle, or the wilds, wherein a carrier pigeon drops a tiny iitem crate on you. Only a few items, and only the less valuable ones.

The fact that someone gave a gift activates the recipient's chances of encountering this event. If several people gift you, your chances of encountering this event are increased. Once you encounter it, your chances of encountering the event are decreased. The decrease is greater than the increase (though of course the minimum is zero), because sometimes the pigeons get lost.

So you never know when you'll get one of these gifts, it's a surprise, and a nice little event.

It doesn't seem unbalancing (I think?), it's a way for people to do something nice for other people, and it's fun.

Profile Email
hajen
 Saturday, August 29 2009 @ 04:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Nah, it was disabled 'cause it didn't bleedin' work. Razz The recipient got the gifts, all right - but the gifter got to keep them for himself too.

the tone of your posting makes it sound like this is a bad thing *perplexed* Wink

i also miss the gray market/ black market banking, but the game has been more balanced without it le sigh

"tis better to be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt"

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.35 seconds
New Topic Post Reply