Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > Out-of-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Targeted combat?
 |  Printable Version
omenesia
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 06:14 AM UTC (Read 4019 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

I'm aware that targeted combat is going to be added to the game sometime soonish and I am not aware that it has gone live yet.
So I present some unexpected early usage Big Grin
I came across this as I was traveling from Pleasantville towards AceHigh, I had just run from a different monster, and was trying to run from Grimbot when I noticed some extra text and combat options.
(Sorry for the low quality of the pictures.)

---
Basically, seeing this rare opportunity, I faced the Grimbot with my perilously low HP when I saw that targeting was available.
I used a zap then whoomph grenades to try and save myself. Then I used the targeting attack and like any rational person - went for the eyes. After this battle, I again met a monster, but no targeting was available and I bravely ran away to AceHigh.

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Beeker
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 06:51 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Indeed, I just had the chance to check this out also! Neat!

Unfortunately I was simultaneously finding out what rank 7 is like (verdict: ouchie), so I only got to see Targeted Fighting for one round before poor Beeker got squished. Oops.

Looking forward to checking it out, though!

Profile Email
Anonymous: Massic
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 06:54 AM UTC  

Since this is probably going to become the official Targeted Fighting thread...

Those things hurt like hell. I'm used to having mobs hit 750~1500 stamina out of me on a critical, but these were consistently taking off 3750+. If this is going to be the norm for them, Mighty Magpie and Tattoo Mutant just got new competition for my 'nade love.

omenesia
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 08:28 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

For some updates
I've come across two more monster fights where Targeting was available.
One was another Grimbot, so they might be prone to this. The other was a Canadian Mosquito.

As a bit of warning, fighting these monsters seems to be a lot more difficult. Even using standard fighting they were riposting and dodging quite often, and their attacks seemed to be critical hits more often (as noted above).

It almost seems like the code is in place already, but not activated for general use except against certain(?)/bugged monsters/monsters with the added text(?).
I'm spending the current Newday and probably the ones I have saved up looking for more encounters, so I might have more to add later as well.

Update 2:
Targeted fighting does not damage the targeted area, but does damage to HP just like a normal attack.
The skill also can be leveled still, and gains exp like the other skills, including the reduction in stamina cost.
and that was the 3rd Grimbot.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 12:21 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Not a bug! Expected behavior!

We'll be rolling out more monsters as we work. Sessine and I have playtested these with appropriate armor and levels on rank 1 DKs and they've come out fine for us.. but then.. we know where to hit. Wink (I'm only part-way joking, I've attacked some of the more dangerous 'oh no oh no everything is awful' monsters with various strategies and mixed results -- as they well should be, destroying different targets does different things to the monster.) Please do post in here if you think, for instance, the GrimBot needs to be notched down a bit. It's easily done.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Chimental
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 01:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I saw the same thing happen when I fought the purple people eater. I had the option of hitting his horn and something else

As for the idea, I think it's a great idea. Adds some strategy rather than just pressing 'E' then 'T' repeatedly.

I make the many models of a mutant individual. To make them I use vegetables, animals, and minerals. From robot bugs to zombie bears to many singing barnacles.

Profile Email
Duskrunner
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 01:28 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Just a quick note...

Don't attack the Sorority Girl's pillow. It makes her mad and she kills you. In one hit.

I don't know if this is a coincidence or a 'feature' but dang it, it happened to me twice :p

Fool me once shame on you.... >.>

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.

Profile Email
Fenrir
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 01:32 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

For what it's worth, on Rank 4, if I attempt to use Targeted Fighting, I'm definitely going to have to resort to grenades.

It seems like most of targeted options result in taking it on the chin that round, and if I'm lucky (or if I'm choosing the proper area to target?) the results are just as if I'd done Standard Fighting. Also, I'm not sure why it lists individual HP for targetable parts if that HP doesn't seem to diminish. Is that a bug?

I keep trying it, though, because it's SHINY and NEW. Oh scientific curiosity and your cruel allure. Frown

--

Oh! And I also noticed that if I choose to target an area, and then select "Automatic Fighting - For 5 Rounds" on the next attack, I accrue experience for targeted fighting, although the target-specific message doesn't appear in the combat rounds. I'm not sure if it's actually performing a targetting action or not, but it's giving me targeted experience.

Profile Email
XaNe
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 01:51 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I've chosen to simply let it sit...Every time I try to target a specific part of somthing, I get killed...they scare me Neutral

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Skidge
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 02:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I honestly thought I was going to hate targeting. I really, really dreaded it. And yes, thus far it's been killing the heck out of me, but man...

MAN...

I can't get enough. I can't wait until everything has targeting. I'm going to try every single combination. I'm going to attack EVERYTHING. I don't CARE how many times it leads to my death; I'm great at dying, anyway. This makes my Jungle experience much less "Hit t, hit t, hit t, hit t, come across Quest beastie and die because all you did was hit t, hit t...."

...it occurs to me there may be a very good reason I'm so good at dying...

Profile Email
Beeker
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 03:32 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I will have to playtest this for a while before I have any real feel for it. And since I'm trying a higher rank right now than I usually do, I'm going to hold off on my judgment until I drop back to something more normal for me.

I think it's a cool idea, though! Definitely adds flavor, and more flavor is good!

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 05:27 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

A couple of things:

First, omenesia: you may indeed have run into a bit of a bug -- or at least a peculiarity. You have two attacks per round, and it only seems to be using targeted fighting for the first of your attacks, which missed. In the second attack you lucked out and got a minor power move, which meant you hit the rest of the GrimBot (not any of the target spots) and killed it.

Second: as Zolotisty and I found when playtesting, fighting a targeted monster requires a lot more strategy than standard fighting. The monsters fight differently depending on which target you go after, and wiping out a target usually changes the way the monster will fight afterwards. Sometimes you've crippled it... but sometimes you've only made it mad!

We're trying to make the behaviour more or less fit the nature of the target... although, fair warning, there are a few surprises in store. There's one monster per level in this first batch, so everyone gets an equal chance to encounter one, but more of them are on the way.

(One tip, for free: don't forget that even in the middle of a targeted fight, standard fighting is always one of your options. Once in a while it will be the smartest choice.)

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 06:07 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

There are some monsters that I am rather curious about what the targets are, and I'd kinda like a part in choosing which of the parts are target-able. Mostly because I have submitted some monsters that have gotten accepted in the past, and I'd like just a bit of say in which direction their fighting styles go, you know?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Blackbird
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 06:48 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

I've got the Spiderkitty, Flaming Contestant and Grimbot...but even when I target certain bits, there is no attack (or it ALWAYS misses, even with both Rusty Chainsaw and Zombie Donkey helping me out in the high-tier ones), as if the code was implemented but only for show. Rank 3 is now a lot more painful.

Please, do tell if anyone can actually do any bloody damage to specific bits, because I sure can't, even with 5 ATK 2 DEF against a level 2 monster....

Profile Email
Enada
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 08:00 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

yeah I got sorority girl in nighty twice, and the second time I tried hitting her head, arm, and pillow. I think I might have missed each time? i mean, I did normal damage to her, but the explination was just 'It's bloody hard to hit" so did I not hit her in the targeted way Im supposed to? I'm confused Confused

Profile Email
Cath
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 08:08 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I've not managed to get the HP of the bits to drop, either. *shrug* At least you don't have to succeed to get the credit for the Action levels.

Profile Email
James Bond
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 08:19 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I think I managed to get the Purple Monsters horn down a bit, but next round it popped right back to full, so I'm not entirely sure anymore...

Profile Email
Symar
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 09:28 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I just ran into the Old-school Gamer, and I got his Game Rules down to 3 hp, but every attack after that (Which I did every attack targeting his rules) did not decrease it's hp any further.
I killed him before I could try attacking dice.

Profile Email
Beeker
 Wednesday, September 09 2009 @ 09:35 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I have been trying hitting one thing, then another, instead of hitting the same target over and over. Just sort of testing things out.

I have yet to see the hp drop, but I can't tell whether I hit or miss. The creature's hp does drop as I'm doing the targeting attack, but the hp of the targets doesn't appear to change.

Profile Email
omenesia
 Thursday, September 10 2009 @ 12:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Zolotisty

Not a bug! Expected behavior!

We'll be rolling out more monsters as we work. Sessine and I have playtested these with appropriate armor and levels on rank 1 DKs and they've come out fine for us.. but then.. we know where to hit. Wink (I'm only part-way joking, I've attacked some of the more dangerous 'oh no oh no everything is awful' monsters with various strategies and mixed results -- as they well should be, destroying different targets does different things to the monster.) Please do post in here if you think, for instance, the GrimBot needs to be notched down a bit. It's easily done.

Ah, ok. Well, it was certainly unexpected expected behavior! And as I mentioned in the original post, I was not aware of it being released into the wild yet.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.67 seconds
New Topic Post Reply