Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Legacy Forums: Season One > Everything Else New Topic Post Reply
 Melancholy and the constant beatdown
 |  Printable Version
Others
 Tuesday, June 17 2008 @ 03:00 AM UTC (Read 3869 times)  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

I've resigned myself to receiving constant beatings after i log out. I suppose I COULD get a shack in every village, or just hover around certain areas primarily, but barring that I've started noticing a pattern. I'm not mentioning names (yet), but I seem to be getting beaten by one player more than any other. Let's say about 7 of the last ten beatings (actually closer to 8 if one wants to be exact). It isn't entirely a matter of people with ten or more drive kills more than what I have knocking my unconscious corpse about (I won't be a liar and say that doesn't bother me at all. I find it unsporting at the least and unfair at best, but life isn't fair so I can live with it for now). We're talking about one, specific player that has managed to keep up with me level-wise and repeatedly ransack my sleeping form.

I have no way of knowing if I'm being sought out (although i did post that bit about people getting req off my corpse when I had none on me), and no way really to prove it. I am curious, though (and slightly pissed off. And by slightly I mean strangle-happy) What some of the rest of you think. Should there be additional limits to the level guide so only people within, say, 10 DKs of your own can attack or be attacked by you thereby making the 'revenge' mentioned in the message somewhat possible? What about some form of diminishing return for attacking the same players, possibly even to the point of getting negative Exp and Req if you do it often enough without letting some set amount of time pass? What about something else?

And if you happen to be the person who's wiped the floor with my shiny metal rear protrusions and wanna brag... Well, I suppose I'm confident enough to take it, so feel free. I also want to admit that some people have beaten me up, and later given me gifts after I made a drive kill, which is really sweet of you, and if you wanna admit to that, this is a nice public forum I can back you up on. In short, what are people's thoughts on the PvP mechanics here in general??

Profile Email
Count of S-G
 Tuesday, June 17 2008 @ 11:00 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think that anyone should be able to attack anyone. With the experiance loss back down to 1% it doesn't make that much of a difference to anyone. As long as your requisition is left it doesn't really matter.

Note, I say this, and I haven't pvped much for quite some time aside from some accidents (Sorry Newbie Paul) that I thought the system wouldn't allow.

PS: You can't have more then 4 shacks.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Others
 Wednesday, June 18 2008 @ 12:26 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

You mean back down to 2%. And like I said, I've resigned myself to getting attacked every time I log out. however, what's the challenge of someone with 50 Drive Kills attacking someone with 5? Every DK you get a bonus, right? and when someone attacks you the message says 'Isn't time to start thinking about revenge?' Discounting someone getting a few hundred temporary bonusses from someplace, what are the odds of the person with 5 DKs winning?

I have been attacked twice and won, both times by people with Newbie for a title. I have yet to win while attacking someone else, even if they're lower level, and often those with the huge number of DKs (or even just a few) are both lower level and with more HP than me at full.

And again, it isn't the 2% experience loss, it's the annoyance of me not being able to do anything in return except maybe let myself die (sometimes harder than it should be), then use a bunch of camera pokes.

Profile Email
Count of S-G
 Wednesday, June 18 2008 @ 01:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Well, I can beat most people who attack me while I'm sleeping.
Then again, I haven't been attacked for the longest of time. I used to be attacked by 3 to four people everyday, and now I haven't been attacked since both Jesus and Velle attacked me in the same day.

Note, Jesus feel free to attack me.

Glory Points awarded for this fight: 0 You have defeated The Watcher! You receive 1377 Requisition! You receive 20193 experience!

Profile Email
Anonymous: Rhiannon
 Wednesday, June 18 2008 @ 08:10 AM UTC  

I'm sorry that this is happening to you. I think PVP has gotten way out of hand and ruined the game for a lot of players. There should be restrictions on attacking players with less drive kills and limits to how often a player can attack any other player

CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 18 2008 @ 05:45 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Post-reset, there will be a "Guts" system in place (to complement Glory). After a successful fight, this runs on the attacking player:

guts+=(yourdks-enemysdks)

So, if a DK20 player attacks a Newbie and wins, they'll lose twenty Guts points. If a newbie attacks a DK20 player and wins, the newbie will gain twenty Guts points.

These points will be added to or subtracted from the Favour that the watcher grants after every fight. If you've got fewer than minus twenty Guts points, you'll find it very, very difficult to get restored to the game. If you've been beating up people who are a higher level than you, then it'll be a damn sight easier.

Profile Email Website
Jerkymaster
 Wednesday, June 18 2008 @ 08:38 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

So I guess I'll never be able to get restored after the reset. Cry

Of course, being a midget, I already only get restored about half of the time. Getting rid of the other half probably wouldn't make that much of a difference.

"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid"

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, June 18 2008 @ 10:09 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

So I guess I'll never be able to get restored after the reset.

You tell me, mate. I'm not taking past PVP history into account with this module.

Profile Email Website
Jerkymaster
 Wednesday, June 18 2008 @ 11:49 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Well, I can't really stop at 1,000, can I? I might be satisfied once I make it to the 10,000 mark, but until then... Twisted Evil

"Human beings can always be relied upon to assert, with vigor, their god-given right to be stupid"

Profile Email
Deadmeat
 Thursday, June 19 2008 @ 04:57 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Joe? I've gotta say, I love the "Guts" stat. I'd only suggest one small change: Instead of awarding the "Guts" points at the end of the fight, award them at the Beginning. Yes, the Guts should be awarded to the agressor even if the aggressor loses. After all, sometimes those with guts prove it in the messiest of ways.

Profile Email
Others
 Thursday, June 19 2008 @ 03:30 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Quote by: Deadmeat

Joe? I've gotta say, I love the "Guts" stat. I'd only suggest one small change: Instead of awarding the "Guts" points at the end of the fight, award them at the Beginning. Yes, the Guts should be awarded to the agressor even if the aggressor loses. After all, sometimes those with guts prove it in the messiest of ways.

Mebbe. If the points are awarded before the fight, then it won't take long for people to seek out the biggest, baddest player around, fight, lose, and not worry about a counter attack as they log off from Disgrace. It hasn't even been implemented yet, and already I came up with the idea.

Profile Email
JtPN
 Thursday, June 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

The biggest and baddest of us certainly wouldn't mind that, since we're again being penalized for being awesome and wanting to beat people up. Razz But it appears that it's the only way to make people stop complaining, and it seems like one of the less horrible ways to go about it that have been proposed, so I'm fine with it, especially if it means I can rack of PvPs without having to hunt people down.

Profile Email
Others
 Monday, June 23 2008 @ 02:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

While you were in NewHome, Lieutenant General Everspring initiated an attack on you with her Granny's Knitting Needles, and defeated you!

You noticed she had an initial hp of 1 and just before you died she had 36 remaining.

As a result, you lost 2% of your experience (approximately 189 points), and 0 Requisition.

Don't you think it's time for some revenge?

Now THAT is some damn gutsy PVP. This new guts system, tell me someone who goes around PVPing people with only 1 HP and wins it gets something. Even as the victim of it i see a reason for that to be rewarded beyond mere glory. (after all, no guts, no glory)

Profile Email
Snickerer
 Monday, June 23 2008 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

XD That there looks an awful lot like what many of us probably recognize as a failed suicide.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.52 seconds
New Topic Post Reply