Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Distances on the island?
 |  Printable Version
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, September 05 2009 @ 04:07 AM UTC (Read 4504 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

With the new feature to post comments on any location on the map, I feel it might be helpful to determine some way to state distances.

For example, If I were to announce I wanted to walk to a certain point on the map when role playing, I'd probably say

Jon Bishop says, "How about we go two squares north of Kittania?"

The problem being, that really doesn't sound right in a role playing setting. Yet, I don't feel it proper to claim that each square is a specific distance long. Any suggestions on how it could better be described in a role-playing setting?

Profile Email
Beeker
 Saturday, September 05 2009 @ 04:23 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

"How about this spot right here?" Jon suggested, pointing to his map.

Then you Distract the people you're talking to with the coordinates so the players know what the characters see when they look where Jon is pointing.

Bit kludgy, but it'd work.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, September 05 2009 @ 04:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I'd suppose so, but I'd find it rather annoying from the perspective of anyone who just wanted to observe what was happening. If I didn't want everyone to see where I was going, then yes, I probably would use a distraction.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Saturday, September 05 2009 @ 05:31 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Why not just say klicks? As in, kilometers? Or, you know, in this case, actual clicks of the compass or however you navigate?

That's what I'd been thinking of doing. Each square is one klick by one klick. It's how I've been measuring the island for a while. Must be the military feel of my own personal upbringing mixed with the fact that we're supposedly fighting a war on improbability.

A magpie's work is never done.

Profile Email
XaNe
 Saturday, September 05 2009 @ 06:04 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

ooh, that sounds good. Thanks for the suggestion Rosin, I'll be using that particular term from now on, if you don't mind!

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, September 05 2009 @ 11:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I like the thought of klicks, so long as in this case we don't say klicks=kilometers, since it isn't really our place to say how much space a square takes up. I can't imagine a better way to say it for the time being, though. Nice idea.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 02:06 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I don't like clicks -- or 'klicks', if you're going to force me to put it that way. Wink But! If it works for other people, whatevuh, it works.

Sessine and I have asked CMJ about this; even he doesn't know the scale of the Island. The knee-jerk reaction was, 'oh, one square is a mile..' but that very quickly descended into niggling details about cases in which that couldn't or shouldn't apply.

If it were me.. I'd go with the pull-out-a-map and point technique. Or I'd pick a place that's easily described -- "Coming up from NewHome, you know the bit where the plains split toward Improbable Central and Kittania? Mn? I'll see you at that fork there in a while." Or, "So-and-so leaves the Outpost heading northwest. They don't go far." Then I'd grab whoever it was with actual coords via Distract. Bringing mechanics into the game seems, to me, sort of.. hmn.. clunky, I guess is the word.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 04:15 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

I don't like clicks -- or 'klicks', if you're going to force me to put it that way. Wink But! If it works for other people, whatevuh, it works.

Sessine and I have asked CMJ about this; even he doesn't know the scale of the Island. The knee-jerk reaction was, 'oh, one square is a mile..' but that very quickly descended into niggling details about cases in which that couldn't or shouldn't apply.

If it were me.. I'd go with the pull-out-a-map and point technique. Or I'd pick a place that's easily described -- "Coming up from NewHome, you know the bit where the plains split toward Improbable Central and Kittania? Mn? I'll see you at that fork there in a while." Or, "So-and-so leaves the Outpost heading northwest. They don't go far." Then I'd grab whoever it was with actual coords via Distract. Bringing mechanics into the game seems, to me, sort of.. hmn.. clunky, I guess is the word.

Yeah...I agree. Game mechanics don't translate well into role-playing. My original thought was that if, let's say, someone skimmed through a conversation, and wanted to know where to go in the jungle to read what happens after they walked out, he would know where to go. I guess the whole point of the new chatspaces is privacy...but I don't mind having "public" privacy every once in a while. Guess I'll just stick to picking easily identifiable spots on the map, or distractions, for now.

Profile Email
Duskrunner
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 12:52 PM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Well, every square has a grid number, doesn't it? And most maps (at least, in the real world) also have grids. I would assume the II maps might too. You could pull out your map, point, refer to the grid number and that's that.

And if anyone says they wouldn't do that in RP... well, we do that in the car all the time. Especially if we're looking at a BIG map!

Just another idea....

`Twas brillig, and the slithy toves, Did gyre and gimble in the wabe: All mimsy were the borogoves, And the mome raths outgrabe.

Profile Email
Cath
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 03:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

That isn't a bad solution, but what if you don't have a map? There's no way to know the coordinates.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 03:44 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I was thinkin' about this bit too. If everything is a standard unit a 'Click,' or 'Klick' whatever, then that means that each square is exactly the same height and width. Which... Doesn't work. Unless I'm the only one that has noticed that some of the squares are bigger one way or taller one way than the others.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 05:11 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

But that's only because of the text in those squares..

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 09:32 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Duskrunner

Well, every square has a grid number, doesn't it? And most maps (at least, in the real world) also have grids. I would assume the II maps might too. You could pull out your map, point, refer to the grid number and that's that.

And if anyone says they wouldn't do that in RP... well, we do that in the car all the time. Especially if we're looking at a BIG map!

Just another idea....

Wow, you do that in a car? Must be off road, yeah? Around here, we do that whenever we fly, since we're too cheap to buy a GPS.

(Yes I realize that it doesn't make much sense that we have our own plane, crappy as it is, but are still too cheap to get a simple piece of equipment for it. Don't judge me.)

AHEM. Anyway. KK has a point too. Some of the squares are a bit more rectangular in one direction or another, so they're not all the same size. So we can guess. *(wasn't the map written in blue marker anyway? by the creepy guy in the comms tent? Probably not exact anyway.)*

Profile Email
Symar
 Sunday, September 06 2009 @ 11:38 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Rosin

Quote by: Duskrunner

Just another idea....

Wow, you do that in a car? Must be off road, yeah? Around here, we do that whenever we fly, since we're too cheap to buy a GPS.

(Yes I realize that it doesn't make much sense that we have our own plane, crappy as it is, but are still too cheap to get a simple piece of equipment for it. Don't judge me.)

AHEM. Anyway. KK has a point too. Some of the squares are a bit more rectangular in one direction or another, so they're not all the same size. So we can guess. *(wasn't the map written in blue marker anyway? by the creepy guy in the comms tent? Probably not exact anyway.)*

Sure, in a car! Or on foot! In strange city/place/large building... "Hmm, I'm here... and the airport/hospital/bathroom is over in G3, which is....here." (You sunk my battleship!)

And you're right about the map. It's creepy blue marker, and should be a rough estimate at best.

Profile Email
Rosin
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 01:24 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I've never been in an area in which the map was small enough to say I was in F3 and could walk to G6. (Sorry about your boat, by the way. Munitions accident. Tragic stuff.)

BUT. THAT'S IRRELEVANT.

Yes. Written in blue marker by creepy guy. Could explain why they're blocks too. Creepy guy might've just scribbled on some grid paper. (He colours outside of the lines because it makes him unique.)

Profile Email
Anonymous: monsterzero
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 03:46 AM UTC  

Since there's only one unit of distance, why name it? I just tell people to "Go 4 NE, then 2 NW" to get from NH to IC.

Or, if you absolutely *must* name it, "leagues" sounds pretty cool in roleplay, isn't currently an official unit anywhere, and had so many widely-varying definitions that no one can really argue with you if you use it.

K.K. Victoria
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 03:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: monsterzero

Since there's only one unit of distance, why name it? I just tell people to "Go 4 NE, then 2 NW" to get from NH to IC.

Or, if you absolutely *must* name it, "leagues" sounds pretty cool in roleplay, isn't currently an official unit anywhere, and had so many widely-varying definitions that no one can really argue with you if you use it.

Well, the point is that if you went into a gas station and you asked,
"Ey mate, where's the ____?"
And he replied "Well, you go four north, then bang a Youie, then head three west, you'll be right there." You'd probably not follow those directions. Not because he is probably a Sarasota driver, (In which case he would've told you to bang eighteen Youie's on your way across the street,) because he was crazy and imprecise.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 04:00 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Going a number north or east....yes, the player understands it, but the character sure as hell wouldn't get it. Needs to be something that both the characters in-game, and and the players controlling them can understand.

Profile Email
Anonymous: monsterzero
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 04:58 AM UTC  

Quote by: Jon+Bishop

Going a number north or east....yes, the player understands it, but the character sure as hell wouldn't get it. Needs to be something that both the characters in-game, and and the players controlling them can understand.

Well then, Wikipedia says a league was anywhere from 2.2 km to 6.6 km, or it was an hour's travel regardless of actual crow-flies distance. That seems nicely vague, and leagues are a very old tradition in fantasy/fairy tales.

Or we can try to be more original, and assume that each square contains exactly one camera (we already know it has at least one), and tell people to go "three cameras north and two northeast".

Max Dougwell
 Monday, September 07 2009 @ 06:52 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I don't think we should make up anything for roleplaying's sake. The important thing is for the player to understand the directions involved, so no more suggesting arcane-but-logical forms of measurement. I think klicks or leagues would work fine, since this IS Improbable island and people being able to follow illogical instructions to get places seems perfectly suited to it.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.61 seconds
New Topic Post Reply