Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Robot Ramblings
 |  Printable Version
Derander
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 08:11 AM UTC (Read 7250 times)  
Forum Contender
Contender

Since I didn't see another thread about this and it looks like my game days as a robot will be a whole lot shorter than my game days as a midget, I thought I'd write down some random thoughts and experiences about this new old race.

There won't be much structure in this, as waiting untill I get it structured in my head usually leads to me not writing anything at all... My apologies for that, just ignore mine and write your own (relevant) ramblings then, I guess.

Anyway, love all the new options. Fiddling to find the new optimal overclock option, yay.

Been very cautious thus far, and with only one gameday under my belt it is a bit early to come to a conclusion, but whatever.

Overclocking healing thus far seems counterproductive. Just boosted it once, so get a paltry +1hp boost per round... only to suffer 50+ point of damage from overheating. Just doesn't feel right/fair.

I was hoping there's be no exhaustion penalties to offset the lack of food-based stamina boosts, but alas. Wink

Obviously went to the failboat at the end of the day, since I was pushing things a bit... Only to be knocked out in the first cage-fight due to overheating again. 268hp damage with 55 adrenaline... myeah, getting favour is going to take some more planning. (Or no overclocking at all, but then why would I play a robot?)

Anyway, new day, off again... more ramblings later.

Profile Email
Derander
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 09:37 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Perhaps I should mention that I'm trying a rank 5 DK, since this might skew results, I dunno.

Not going to try the attack/deff buffs, my gut tells me it isn't worth it untill I figure out how the overheating works.

Anyway, new day.

Not overclocking a thing, taking more damage then the standard regen can handle. Overclock the repair one notch, notice no increased repair for a fight or three. Switch it off, heat still in the green. Next two fights, something goes wrong internally causing more damage. Seems I'm my own worst enemy.

Looks like I need to overclock twice to get an increase... Nothing bad this time so far, still in the green.

Out of stamina, new day.

Odd, no automatic repair to start. Increase/decrease the repair toggle once, repair 1 hp per round, no overheating. Is this supposed to happen?

Profile Email
Yrk
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 01:10 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

i'd like to add some ramblings over here.

first of all i think the overclocking thingy is bugged, is seems the effect of 0v and 10v is the same, after you'be been at 10.
Example: i overclock everything once and everything get's upped once, when i decide it's not worth the heat and put everything back to 0 i still get the buffs but not the heat.

I agree on that it seems a bit unfair to get the attack and defence penatly for the exhaustion buff, not sure if this is a bug or not.

It seems like the overheating damage is based on the players max health, which is really bad since the heal is not, i suffered over 400 point of damage when i overheated, granted that was before i knew the dangers of overheating and had pushed the bar as far as half the capacity. But even as low as under 10% i would still take some 30 points of damage every turn, recovering only 1.

suggestions: lower the rate you are over heated or the damage/frequensy of something breaking inside, lower stamina cost to heal and cool down just a bit.

far out suggestions: let players purchase more or less permanent upgrades such as extra battery, solar cells or armour plating. Ater all it is a machine, machines are upgradeable.
This could apply to other races aswell.

Profile Email
Derander
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 01:24 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Couple of days later and I believe I was wrong earlier. It's the repair that isn't worth it (for me), with the overheat damage happening even when you're in the green. A high enough attack buff might be worth it though, if I remember to cool down every other fight. The +2000v overboost was a fun but shortlived experiment. I'm my own pan galactic gargle blaster! Woo! *cough* Guess that's balanced enough without needing a cap.

Trying to keep an open mind here, but I still miss the S1 option of changing modes during combat.

Since it took me a while to figure out Kittymorphs, I guess I'm missing something obvious here. As it is, I'm running out of stamina way too easy. Eboy's doesn't seem an option. with the recent rise in prices. Perhaps I've just been spoiled. Tips, anybody?

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 02:47 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Two things about Robots:

1. They're the most complex race thus far, both code-wise and how-to-play-them-wise. You're going to have to do a lot of experimenting to find an overclocking style that works for you.
2. They're still beta, and will be subject to rebalancing and changes later on after more data comes in (and after folks figure out the best way to use them).

Keep the feedback coming in - it's really useful! Big Grin

Profile Email Website
Pinkpuppy
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 05:43 PM UTC  
Forum Newbie

First, my robot can eat ration packs. Is that intentional? (I would expect not since you seem to be hiding the restaurants from me).

The biggest downside is stamina. I've been getting up to 200+ stamina a turn using other creatures and pleasantville steaks/fish: dropping to 100 effectively cuts my useful stamina by a factor of 4. And given that healing takes stamina and robots aren't particularly fight efficient, I'm getting around 1/8 of the fighting that I could get as a midget.

Unless there is some trick for regaining robot stamina that I have missed?

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 06:33 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Pinkpuppy

First, my robot can eat ration packs. Is that intentional? (I would expect not since you seem to be hiding the restaurants from me).

The biggest downside is stamina. I've been getting up to 200+ stamina a turn using other creatures and pleasantville steaks/fish: dropping to 100 effectively cuts my useful stamina by a factor of 4. And given that healing takes stamina and robots aren't particularly fight efficient, I'm getting around 1/8 of the fighting that I could get as a midget.

Unless there is some trick for regaining robot stamina that I have missed?

I've found with Jokers, which work the same way as Robots do with restaurants and stam, to my understanding, that you can eat a ration pack or two at the beginning of the DK until you're full.. and then you can't do anything else through the rest of the DK, because your imaginary hunger bar never changes.

..Same stam paucity issues with Jokers, but HEY, that's beside the point because I'm still sneakily wandering about as a legacy and they aren't done. LA LA LA.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Karel
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 06:56 PM UTC  

Just started playing as a Robot, as soon as the race became available after my 8th DK.
(or was it: my 1st rank 3 kill?)

I have noticed the lack of stamina boosters, and the overheating that occurs when still in the green.
(I have had my healing +10 and and one torso part +10)

The ''day'' I started, I ate three ration packs, and I have been 'stuffed' ever since!
Even after two new days, so I cannot eat to raise my stamina.
Energy drinks do work however, but the little stamina gain does not weigh up to the cost of the cans.
(and of course, the events like the piñata and Audrey's kittens give you stamina)

After being a Midget for the duration of two DK's, the stamina burn of the Robot race seems horrific!
I can barely complete the 100 rounds it takes for my clan aura to wear off! (at level 3 now)

I reckon it would help a little if there was an equivalent for the Hospital tent, where you could get repaired
for req, instead of using up much needed stamina. Or perhaps a charging station equivalent to a restaurant,
to regain some stamina. Only in Cyber 404 of course, which would make residing in any other city a pain, but
I think it would be some improvement on the current situation.

CavemanJoe
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 08:48 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

O-kay... Looks like I had set "class"=>"Global" rather than "action"=>"Global" in the apply_stamina_buff part of racerobot.php, which meant that the lovely global Stamina buff (and global Action experience buff) didn't get applied. That should take effect at the next new day. Smile

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Zpatula
 Tuesday, September 15 2009 @ 11:00 PM UTC  

My Stamina page claims a robot can go to 40% for amber and to 20% for red. That doesn't seem to be the case. Bug?

Pinkpuppy
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 12:32 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

That definitely fixed the stamina buff problem: My robot is now -40% in stamina costs across the board.

Profile Email
Stanlygirl
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 01:35 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Bug or feature?

My robotty self can clean the carcass, but can't sell the meat.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 08:48 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

having spend a whole lot more days as a robot i can say that im definatly more comfortable with it.
However, it is still seriously underpowered. In pure stamina. Even if it would've been possible to go all the way down to zero as robot. (Which i say it could be, because unless you're using music player from 20 years ago, electronics dont slow down when they're running out of power, they simply die.) There's not even half the stamina to spend in a day compared to an eating race.

Profile Email
Derander
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 09:45 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

With the buffs, it's suddenly a whole lot more playable/understandable.

With everything being cheaper, no need to worry about malnutrition and, if I got this right, more xp per action, Robots would be my go to race if I was looking to play for a short period daily. However, since I want to play pretty much continuously during a boring workday, I guess they're just not for me right now.

Playing mostly by fingerspitzengefühl, I don't have any data to back this up, but overclocking (beyond the basic on/off) still feels to costly. With 50+ points damage from a green overheat, about 0.5% to cool down after every other fight to avoid that, since healing costs 10+% (from pretty far down in the yellow, granted). It just doesn't feel worth it.

Given a decent clan drain buff or blessed weapon, however, this might change... but it'll be a while before I can test that.

Anyway, just some more (of the same) ramblings. It's way more fun than yesterday, but I do believe I'll be going back to quest-beastie-busting midget after this, saving the 'bot for special occasions... A rank 7 with only a few fights per day anyway, overclocked to the max... hrm...

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 05:58 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

Changes:

Nerfed:
Robot ability to eat food-type Inventory items removed (energy drinks left intact for now - I'm thinking Robots can't eat solid food, but can cope with liquids and pills).
Global Stamina discount lowered to 30% from 40%.

Fixed:
Erroneous healing fixed.
Overheating while on FailBoat (with none of the associated advantages) fixed.

Boosted:
Lowered chances of overheating - overheating while in the green should now be a very rare thing indeed, and overheating even in the red is less likely.
Amber point lowered. Robots now have more Green stamina than other races, which means that they can do more stuff without getting tired - however, when they do get tired, it'll happen far more quickly.

Let's see how this pans out...

Profile Email Website
Derander
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 07:33 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: CavemanJoeChanges:

Nerfed:
Robot ability to eat food-type Inventory items removed (energy drinks left intact for now - I'm thinking Robots can't eat solid food, but can cope with liquids and pills).

Darn, I was saving up that loophole for when I really needed it. Wink

Global Stamina discount lowered to 30% from 40%.

Boo! Nerf! Eh, just numbers, 30, 40, what's the difference. Hrm. Not a very robot-like thing to say. Oh well.

Fixed:
Erroneous healing fixed.
Overheating while on FailBoat (with none of the associated advantages) fixed.

Excellent, less worries.

Boosted:
Lowered chances of overheating - overheating while in the green should now be a very rare thing indeed, and overheating even in the red is less likely.

This I like a lot... room to fiddle with the buttons and test things out without being punished immediately. Thanks!
Just curious, is the overheat damage a % of your total hp and if so did this/can this change? Not saying it should be a fixed amount as this would be unbalanced the other way around, just curious if it's open for adjustment.

Amber point lowered. Robots now have more Green stamina than other races, which means that they can do more stuff without getting tired - however, when they do get tired, it'll happen far more quickly.
Let's see how this pans out...

Nice. Some compensation at least. The powergamer in me inmediately wants to cry out "Not enough!", but I'll wait with that untill I've tried it. I almost can't wait for the workday to start :p

Random ramblings:

I might let my experiences from last season colour my view of things now... Ran as a Gobot for nearly 90% of the time, Overclocked all the way... opponents would die so quickly they couldn't lay a hand on me and when a few had, anyway, a quick return to any town would have my master send me to the sawbones anyway... Good times.
As much as I'd like those back, perhaps a more balanced approach might be best as a base Smile

Profile Email
CavemanJoe
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 08:19 PM UTC  
Forum Admin
Admin

The damage caused by overheating while Overclocking is indeed a percentage of your maximum hitpoints, since the damage is done internally.

If I hit a large, muscular man in the stomach with a shovel, it'll hurt him less than it would hurt a seven-stone weakling. However, if one of your kidneys suddenly decides to explode for no reason whatsoever, it'll hurt just as much for the big dude and the scrawny dude.

As you get hotter, the chance of overheating damage is increased - but so is the damage done if you do overheat. If the odds of doing damage were larger but the damage done were smaller, then you'd have a bit more warning - but such a setup would be more reliable and less interesting.

Profile Email Website
Anonymous: Karel
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 08:37 PM UTC  

hm...

I'm starting to like the Robot race a little better now.
It seems a bit more balanced stamina wise.

I can now completely use up my clan aura, and then still have some stamina left
for easy fights. I have not gotten to the 40% marker yet, because of failboating,
and I have not yet overheated because I did not overclock yet.

I will fiddle with it a little tomorrow after school, when I've gotten a few more game days.
But from what I've read above, combined with my personal experiences,
I'd say that the changes made are a great improvement on playability!

Thank you!

Symar
 Wednesday, September 16 2009 @ 08:59 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

That sounds pretty good.
I'll be one ASAP. XD
I liked robots last season quite a bit, so have been looking forward to them.

Profile Email
XaNe
 Thursday, September 17 2009 @ 12:53 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Thanks for the fixes Dan, I'm liking my new, Shinyer, self much more now.

And I have that new-car smell!

Some people see the glass as half full, some people see it as half empty, I just spit in the cup until it isn't a problem anymore.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.69 seconds
New Topic Post Reply