Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 The Custom Weapon Thing (?)
 |  Printable Version
Anonymous: SDlfsfjkldsjad
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:31 AM UTC (Read 3049 times)  

Can I get more information on this?

I searched the forum, and read that you just get to rename the weapon you currently have?
and er I think you lose everything after you kill the drive, so you would lose the weapon name too?

Does it stay with that name in the store?
Could you get back after a drive kill, or you pretty much have to just buy another one?

I've seen players with ( weapon text) instead of a picture, so those are custom weapons (right?)
Would we be able to add pictures to them or select pictures from like a list?

So for example, Like I contribute, and use the dp to rename my chainsaw to well say, an M249 SAW,
when i level up 2 more times and fight the drive, it's pretty much gone?

Pinche Cabron
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 08:38 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Yes, your custom weapon name is gone after the DK. Also your chainsaw will still be a chainsaw. It will not fire 5.56 rounds, no matter how hard you wish it.

You can see why I think this is a bad deal. When I was a n00b, I named my weapon Ultra Universe Destroyer (not just on I-I, but in Real Life) Mk II, and not only did it disappear with the DK, it utterly failed to destroy either this universe or the make believe I-I one. With my luck it probably destroyed some other universe, and now a bunch of strangers are sore at me.

Profile Email
omenesia
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 09:03 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

My question would be, if I custom named a weapon, does the name stay even if I change weapons, like the Blessings do?
I'd expect it to reset with a new weapon. Still, since I only seem to use about 3-4 weapons a DK, I don't think that would d be a horrible cost for maintaining a In-character custom weapon

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Adder Moray
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 11:20 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

It does indeed go away when you sell the weapon to purchase a new one.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 06:03 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: omenesia

My question would be, if I custom named a weapon, does the name stay even if I change weapons, like the Blessings do?
I'd expect it to reset with a new weapon. Still, since I only seem to use about 3-4 weapons a DK, I don't think that would d be a horrible cost for maintaining a In-character custom weapon

I use 1 new weapon every 3-4 game days, and 2 new armours in that time period. If there were a way of getting a permanent custom weapon, I'd probably have a Duck on a Leash. Same goes for armour. See if there's any beasts that make their way past my Eggscalemail!

Lacking ways of making such customization permanent, though, I'm sure as hell not whipping out 25 DP for transient customization if 50 or 75 DP (depending on my bad luck) is all I need to kill the Drive and lose that investment.

The 1000 DP I invested in character customization (Avatar Picture, Custom Title, Mount Name and Name Colorization) is permanent, so I'm a happy chappy for spending them. I'd think twice (if not thrice) before putting my precious DP into new names that get reset every couple of days though.

If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 06:25 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Eggsactly my point, Zeke.

Profile Email
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 06:32 PM UTC  

erm... eh.

i can understand the difficulty in making the weapon have different characteristics and such,
(which can lead into the possibility of using more dp, for a better quality weapon)

but having the name change be permanent in the store or something, or well anything to keep it from just being a one use thing and throw away?

Did the admin say anything about this last season?

K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:10 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

No, CMJ didn't really address this at all.

However, I did mention the idea on one of these threads a while ago to have a sort of Custom Armory, where one would be able to purchase the custom name for a weapon, then call it that whenever they picked it up.

Example being:

I custom name a Baseball bat,
The name I choose is "Louisville Slugger"

Whenever I pick up any baseball bat ever, it'll be referred to as a Louisville Slugger.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

If you want more interesting weaponry, work your way up. The more DKs you have, the more weapons available at Sheila's. There's some very nice automatic weaponry. Personally I can't stand custome weapons. I use Safari browser mostly, and custom weapons show up as the missing graphic icon and take up a large amount of space on the line. Because of this, I've changed my prefs to not even see custom weapons.

Custom weapons are pretty much a noob thing for people that don't want to do the work to get the better weapons, but want to be "special" with their baseball bat +1 or dildo +1 (and they'd probably get more use out of the later). If you want to RP a special weapon, go for it. There's nothing wrong with putting such a detail in your character bio or mentioning it while playing. Just make shit up.

If that isn't enough to convince you, go ask J. C. Peterman. He'll tell you that only noobs and shmucks custom name their weapons or armor.

EDIT: OK, KK's name for a baseball bat is a LOT more original than some of the lame shit I've seen.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:27 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In the past, custom weapons weren't really like that. S1 had a scrapyard feature. If you reached level 80 in scavenging, you could name the weapons and armor that you made. So KK frequently wandered around with his teeth, his claws, a bloodied Louisville, or a P90.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Reverb
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:33 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I use Safari browser mostly, and custom weapons show up as the missing graphic icon and take up a large amount of space on the line. Because of this, I've changed my prefs to not even see custom weapons.

Same on IE. Bloody annoying.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Fergus
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:44 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Any weapon with +1 or -1 wasn't bought by DPs, it was given to them by the stranger/salesman at the Prancing Spiderkitty, the improbable event who will give you something random for some req.

As for naming, I believe your fists inherent the name. For example, naming a chainsaw Charles and killing the drive with said chainsaw would give the name Charles to your fists when you started your next DK (at least, I believe this is what it was for S1). I do not know if this is still the case for S2, but it's a lot less helpful now that you can't get away with a nude fist DK due to ranks.

I do like KK's idea most, though. That would definitely bring in cash, but possibly be a pain to code.

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:46 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Fergus

Any weapon with +1 or -1 wasn't bought by DPs, it was given to them by the stranger/salesman at the Prancing Spiderkitty, the improbable event who will give you something random for some req.

I did not know this, but I'm pretty sure the +1 weapon I saw was from the Hunter's Lodge.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 09:44 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I should totally retitle the Rock Drill into "Madness Duck from Hell on a Leash +1337"... And I would, if it wasn't as soul-shatteringly lame as the word on plays.

If that isn't enough to convince you, go ask J. C. Peterman. He'll tell you that only noobs and shmucks custom name their weapons or armor.
True, this! Pinchy's a certified putz.

Profile Email
omenesia
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 03:39 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Quote by: Fergus

I do like KK's idea most, though. That would definitely bring in cash, but possibly be a pain to code.

I like that idea as well, even if it was limited to a single custom named weapon and armor, where you could pay to alter the custom name, but be able to select a different weapon to be renamed.(To try and reduce the possible code work required) IE: You could have your custom weapon name be "Oversized Spatula", and pick the chainsaw to be the weapon that gets the name, then after a few DKs you decide you'd prefer to use a different weapon instead of a chainsaw, like the baseball bat, and then the bat would have the custom name. As an alternative to having a whole list of custom named weapons and armors.

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 04:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: omenesiaI like that idea as well, even if it was limited to a single custom named weapon and armor, where you could pay to alter the custom name, but be able to select a different weapon to be renamed.(To try and reduce the possible code work required) IE: You could have your custom weapon name be "Oversized Spatula", and pick the chainsaw to be the weapon that gets the name, then after a few DKs you decide you'd prefer to use a different weapon instead of a chainsaw, like the baseball bat, and then the bat would have the custom name. As an alternative to having a whole list of custom named weapons and armors.

I would prefer it to work like the custom title (but without colors). I suppose that it would be less hard code-wise than a name for a specific weapon.

Of course, by becoming permanent, the price should be increased. (Less than title prices of course, since there is an option not to see them in the commentaries)

I wonder why it has never been implemented. Is it that different from said titles? If not, is it such a pain to have it?

Arrow I was sad when I lost my muddy magic in S1...

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 12:32 PM UTC  

So I went ahead and got the Chainsaw.

And now its a "M249-SAW",
but I some guy at the bar gave me a lovely a "M249-SAW +1"

So of course, at the end of all this i would end up with an improbable M250...

Adder Moray
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 10:35 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron

If you want more interesting weaponry, work your way up. The more DKs you have, the more weapons available at Sheila's. There's some very nice automatic weaponry. Personally I can't stand custome weapons. I use Safari browser mostly, and custom weapons show up as the missing graphic icon and take up a large amount of space on the line. Because of this, I've changed my prefs to not even see custom weapons.

Custom weapons are pretty much a noob thing for people that don't want to do the work to get the better weapons, but want to be "special" with their baseball bat +1 or dildo +1 (and they'd probably get more use out of the later). If you want to RP a special weapon, go for it. There's nothing wrong with putting such a detail in your character bio or mentioning it while playing. Just make shit up.

EDIT: OK, KK's name for a baseball bat is a LOT more original than some of the lame shit I've seen.

Some people (coughmyselfcough) like to use weapons appropriate to their character.

Adder running around with Dual Sickles and Biting Wit seems a lot more fitting than a chainsaw.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 02:05 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Adder+MorayAdder running around with Dual Sickles and Biting Wit seems a lot more fitting than a chainsaw.[/p]
You stole That Guy's weapon (Chainsaw), but decided the Blair Hippo's (Biting Wit) suited you better? You little klepto you... Razz Technically seen, though, you customized your weapon into three weapons. Eek! I could have a whole legion of leashed ducks...

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 10:34 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Adder+Moray

Quote by: Pinche+Cabron

Some people (coughmyselfcough) like to use weapons appropriate to their character.

Adder running around with Dual Sickles and Biting Wit seems a lot more fitting than a chainsaw.

I thought a Dual Sickle was a form of transportation, not weapon. Two wheels, powered by pedaling, steer with handle bars. So, you've got a what we might call a Dickle (for short) and a hippo mouth. Yes, it does seem more fitting. Laughing Out Loud

But seriously, do as you see fit. It's no skin of my nose, and you shouldn't care what I think if I'm going to get all judgmental. I guess what I'm seeing in general (and I don't mean Adder Moray specifically) is the substitution of props for role playing. No one is interacting with your weapon, they're interacting with you (again, not you specifically, but my strawman player that uses a custom weapon as a crutch).

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply