Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Feature Requests, Ideas and Feedback New Topic Post Reply
 Higher Level Insults Should Get More Creative
 |  Printable Version
Aeridus
 Thursday, October 01 2009 @ 04:48 AM UTC (Read 1957 times)  
Forum Badass
Badass

When one achieves higher levels, insults should be more creative. Perhaps the grammar used for the random words could be expanded (Your mother is a tit-burglar of epic proportions!) and one could gain access to harsher words. Also, it would be awesome if you could use donation points to create custom insults, one for each category.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Thursday, October 01 2009 @ 12:47 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Maybe make it so that once you reach Top Level! in a skill, Cuthbert notices your exquisitely flamboyant foulmouthing and asks you to assist in creating study material, effectively allowing you to suggest new swears? I, for one, would make him teach others Duck-related swears. The way I imagine this to work is that you're thrown to a window where you can enter 1 word with a max of x (10-15?) characters in 4 different boxes. For example, when I reach level 100 in Confusing insults and walk into Cuthbert's without having previously suggested a swear (or having suggested one that's been rejected for lack of humor), I would be asked to fill in:

"[Verb] my [noun], [silly word]-[noun]!"

Where [...] is a textbox similar to the one you register your name with when you first start playing. (Sweet memories... Smile )

"Dust my duck, birdy-beak!"

If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off.

Profile Email
Harris
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 05:19 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I love the insults. So much. I really DO go out and insult *Titans* for as long as I possibly can (to wit: until I have 20-30 hp left), so much do I enjoy them. I use them EVERY fight i get in ('cos they're USEFUL for getting hits in, as well as ALWAYS make me smile. Especially the Confusing.)

I have one bone to pick. The Classy Insults. It's a small bone, too, but...

I was excited to get them from Cuthbert. I worked for a long while to get to them, spent (I THINK) a realtime week working on almost nothing but, 'til I could get to Pleasantville and get those 'Shakespearean' bad boys.

Then I made the cigs, and I was off like a shot to Pleasantville!

I was disappointed for two reasons. One: the writing on them. They're funny, but for comedy, the Confusing blow them out of the water. I wasn't expecting actual Shakespeare, but more of a Bilbo Baggins level? Sure! ("I know less than half of you as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve." Heehee.) However, that's okay, because the Confusing also soundly trounce the Coarse for comedy, so that balances out (in my mind, anyway).

The thing I'd definitely like to see changed for the Classy Insults, though- "...it has ever been my misfortune to encounter!" and "I have it on good authority...!" both show up a LOT. Almost to the exclusion of any of the other prefixes and suffixes, which makes reading the Classy a bit boring.

May we have a few new Classy prefixes and suffixes?

I'd dearly like to need to shout at my computer in an atrocious English accent more often.

Thanks!

"Ain't nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile." -The Grateful Dead

Profile Email Website
Mogar
 Friday, September 24 2010 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Insult Titans? I insult real people with Confusing-style insults all the time! Then I get weird looks from everyone actually listening. Though... insults like those do tend to win after a few guffs back-and-forth; nobody sees 'em coming!

And I don't remember the last time I didn't press the "O" key in a fight. Though that always bites me in the arse when it comes to the diplomat.

Buuuut, getting to add a few new words in there would be fantastic. To add to the Top-Level! thing, doing it again for doubling (and on) Top-Level experience (like 2.6 million? Around there? Multiples of ~1.3-5x10^6) would also be awesome.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 07:17 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I think this could go in here.
We just need more variation in general.

Here's a couple really quick hardly-thought-out ideas that just popped up:
Firstly;
How about writing our own insults?
There's two ways this can go.
For one, this could be really, really creative, for people who's characters could "come up with their own saucy insults".
However, you could also have Cuthbert rate them. So while your custom classy insult might not be up to par, your confusing insult can really be devastating.
Say you really liked your awful classy insult, but Cuthbert didn't.
Maybe you could assign it to coarse or confusing instead, depending on what he thinks.

That could also be really, really complex, so here's the second idea on having our own insults:
A contest?
Winners [yes, I mean plural, here.], get their insults to be part of the game's insults.
It wouldn't be a just one winner type of deal.
Say someone submits three insults, one for each group.
Their classy insult is awesome, but their confusing insult is dribble. The coarse one? Well. It's okay, but not the gold CMJ or Cuthbert is looking for.
We'd say that person was still a winner, because their classy insult makes it in. The confusing one isn't touched at all.
The coarse one, it isn't awful, nor is it amazing. How about someone who has a really good idea to make that coarse one amazing with a few touch-ups submit their answer? A collaborative effort! This way, we have more wee-nars, and more happy people, and more insults to giggle at. I think that could be a way to make the contest more of a light-hearted thing.

Those are the As and Bs of the first thought.
The second thought is; How about a whole new genre of insults?
I'm thinking; PUNS.
Oh yes. We all just love those.
This one might be a bit harder to code, and might even depend on the monster, or the monster's weapon. But it, potentially, could be really cool.
Puns are awful. Surely, something so awful would enrage our lovely monsters, and thus, bring their defense down.

Puns could also go with the "custom character insults".
For instance, right off the top of my head and as a silly example; Bob would make Mr. Freeze puns. [Yes. Exactly like those horrid ones from the fourth Batman movie.] At monsters.

Other characters wouldn't do this, obviously. This is sort of what I mean by "custom character insults".

Another example could be Ebenezer going off in a tangent about how uncivilized a monster is.

Iunno. Those are just a couple random ideas that could be really interesting, or bomb really hard. Other ideas for this would be appreciated, but I do feel there is a need for our characters to get some new material! Razz

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 07:23 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

ALLOW ME TO BREAK THE ICE.

Sorry, i love laughing at that movie.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 07:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: dizzyizzy

ALLOW ME TO BREAK THE ICE.

Sorry, i love laughing at that movie.

STAY COOL BIRD BOY.
COOL PARTY.
KICK SOME ICE.

Bob would be more of a terror to the monsters than he already is.
Annnd I'm pretty sure he is, some of the bigger things he gets turned into eat them. Alive.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 07:50 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While I don't think it's a bad suggestion at all, I think a quicker fix would be to simply have a greater vocab or sentence structure every 5/10/20 levels you go up in the respective Insults.

Maybe this would be a terribly painful suggestion, but perhaps the highest-level Coarse insults should really just be plain and un-clever low blows and pot shots.

"YOUR SPOUSE LEFT YOU AND YOU CAN'T FIGURE OUT WHY!"
"YOU'LL NEVER GET ANY UNTIL YOU HIRE A PROSTITUTE IN YOUR MID-LIFE CRISIS!"
"EVERYONE THINKS YOU'RE A CREEP!"
"FUCK YOU. I HATE YOU."

Of course, then-again, we don't want it to strike a player's nerve accidentally.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 07:58 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Maybe this would be a terribly painful suggestion, but perhaps the highest-level Coarse insults should really just be plain and un-clever low blows and pot shots.

"FUCK YOU. I HATE YOU."

Of course, then-again, we don't want it to strike a player's nerve accidentally.

I figured the higher coarse-ness got, the more curse words would make up a sentence.
Really loud ones. Razz

Profile Email
dizzyizzy
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 08:12 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

While I don't think it's a bad suggestion at all, I think a quicker fix would be to simply have a greater vocab or sentence structure every 5/10/20 levels you go up in the respective Insults.

"FUCK YOU. I HATE YOU."

I think using those on the Orc would just be overkill...

But hey, they're evil and you're good.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 08:20 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The orc.
That damn orc.

In all honesty, the VERY FIRST TIME I ever saw that orc, it was the best description. I was rolling with giggles.

Profile Email
Awesome Fred
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 08:26 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: KimmyMonstah

The orc.
That damn orc.

In all honesty, the VERY FIRST TIME I ever saw that orc, it was the best description. I was rolling with giggles.

Same. It's one of the ones I show my friends when I explain the game I'm playing.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 09:05 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The orc.
That damn orc.

Same. It's one of the ones I show my friends when I explain the game I'm playing.

The Kindergarteners always remind me of how much I can't stand children. Razz

Profile Email
Ashtu
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 10:35 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

The Kindergarteners always remind me of how much I can't stand children.

I love children. Medium rare. With a side of fries.

Thank you.

Profile Email
KimmyMonstah
 Tuesday, October 26 2010 @ 10:40 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Ashtu

The Kindergarteners always remind me of how much I can't stand children.

I love children. Medium rare. With a side of fries.

Puppies are always good like that.
The cuter, the more tender.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.62 seconds
New Topic Post Reply