Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Off-Topic > In-Game New Topic Post Reply
 Jokers!
 |  Printable Version
Count Sessine
 Monday, September 21 2009 @ 09:09 PM UTC (Read 11395 times)  
Forum Moderator

WILD CELEBRATION!

WILD CELBRATION!

Profile Email
Symar
 Monday, September 21 2009 @ 09:13 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Monday, September 21 2009 @ 09:26 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

/does a happy hamster dance.

Let the balancing begin!

If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Monday, September 21 2009 @ 09:39 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

INDEED. An Island without Jokers is no party at all!

Profile Email
Pinche Cabron
 Monday, September 21 2009 @ 11:53 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

In honor of the occasion, I'd like to share a joke I made up.

Q: Why did Caveman Joe not include Doggymorph as a playable race in the game?

A: Because a certain player would never stop licking his balls, eating his own poop, peeing on the carpet, or humping other players' legs.

Jeeze, and I'm not even a kittymorph at the present time. I guess midgets can be catty, too.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 01:57 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

2 Things,

1. I'm hungry, can't eat.

At least, in Pleasantville, I cannot. Any ideas on this? (If no ideas, I have several.)

2. Why can I not reroll?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Cath
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 02:58 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quick knee-jerk reaction... I hate Jokers.

Cheaper cooking and cleaning of food doesn't replace being able to eat at no cost in the restaurants and certainly doesn't do anything to replace the additional cost of hunting.

I'm guessing it will change with each game day, but having a 25% discount on travel doesn't make it easier when fighting costs are doubled. I'm in QQQ and could only fight enough to earn 287 XP and had to fight normal fights or I'd die... I've not had that problem since my 5th DK and I'm on #24 now.

I have no idea what the RNG regarding which suit you get does... I've only noticed any benefit once, a double giving me a whole extra 10 Req. I've gotten other doubles and triples with no effect.

Also, I apparently lose HP every turn but there's nothing in the new day text indicating that this will be the case. In S1, I remember quite clearly rolling and being told how good of a day it was, on good days, I'd earn HP every round, on bad, I'd lose it... no text now...

I'll try to pay more attention than I have been, but right now, I'm seeing a whole lot of bad and zero good.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 03:11 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: K.K.+Victoria

2 Things,

At least, in Pleasantville, I cannot. Any ideas on this? (If no ideas, I have several.)

2. Why can I not reroll?

1. They don't eat and don't get hungry. Fill up on ratpacks if you're hungry.

2. Rerolls happen at New Day -- any new Day. In my experience, if you get resurrected, that counts.

Anyway, in contrast to Cath: I love Jokers. I am delighted by the new suit-based combat (my highest combo so far is just five.. but that's pretty good, considering the odds); I am delighted by the random stam buffs and debuffs; I am delighted by what happens to my grenades. Delighted! All around delighted. It was worth waiting.

Cath: it took me a negligible amount of time to work out what the suits do. Just watch for the text.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Cath
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 03:17 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Day two, same horrid hunting debuff but this time, fighting is a minor buff, but now I've got an added 50% cost of cleaning and cooking, making it impossible for me to justify these actions, as there's no way I would ever recover it... and now I've got zero way to earn any Stamina. At least today I'm not losing any HP per round of fighting. I'm guessing I won't hit the total 675 exp I need to get to level two today, either... There is no way to earn stamina and I can't make one level in TWO DAYS. Playing Midget I could get 6 levels a day. This is ridiculous.

The Jokers used to be the powerhouses I used to get a one day DK. I can see that's not going to be the case. If I manage to make it through this DK without giving up and leaving, I'm never playing one again.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 07:51 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Seriously, needs rerolls.

oh and have an option: roll for stamina. it's take away from your normal rerolls but offer a chance of recovering anything between 0 and 200% stamina, seems fair enough, no?

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 08:37 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I can already tell: being a Joker is going to mean I can't ever fall into a routine. No two days will be alike. I will have to choose what I do in a day depending on how the RNG has treated me. (I've already seen one AMAZING day... there were barely enough minutes in it to do everything I wanted to do. The very next one -- horrid. Well, there you are.)

An option to reroll would be nice, yes. As in S1 -- or in S2 until today! -- you'd have to assess the odds carefully. You could always end up with something worse...

Joker is not going to be for everyone, and that's how it should be. The S1 situation where nearly all players eventually gravitated to Joker wasn't balanced. Want a DK powerhouse? Choose Midget. That's a DK tank. Joker isn't supposed to be a powerhouse, it's supposed to be interesting.

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Tuesday, September 22 2009 @ 02:08 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

2 Things,

2. Why can I not reroll?

1. They don't eat and don't get hungry. Fill up on ratpacks if you're hungry.

2. Rerolls happen at New Day -- any new Day. In my experience, if you get resurrected, that counts.

Anyway, in contrast to Cath: I love Jokers. I am delighted by the new suit-based combat (my highest combo so far is just five.. but that's pretty good, considering the odds); I am delighted by the random stam buffs and debuffs; I am delighted by what happens to my grenades. Delighted! All around delighted. It was worth waiting.

Cath: it took me a negligible amount of time to work out what the suits do. Just watch for the text.

*Repeats. "They don't eat, and don't get hungry."*

--Blinks.

Why would the broth Joker have broth then? Why would there be a Joker making cakes with poison or concentrated Fail in it?
(Those are my only two questions that have nothing to do with biology and physics.)

Really. I think that implementing food into the equation would make things much more interesting.

I had an idea:

Remember that disturbing message, "Internal organs... Awkward configuration... Internal bleeding..."

I figured that there would be points in the Joker's lifespan that their stomach would end up where their heart should be, and is thus disconnected from the esophagus and other digesting organs. Suppose on these random days, it is impossible for a joker to eat.

Suppose on others their stomach becomes bloated, yet empty. They become ravenous and need to use those Horatio-given canines for a better purpose than simply looking freaky.

--And if that isn't applicable, then how about this.

Can we get numbers with those suits? Options to draw more than one card per turn at say, some stamina cost?

Draw five cards: 3 pair 3's, 2 pair nines.

Full House: You look to your left and right. You wave back at yourself. Before you can wonder how you're looking at you, waving at you, you peek over the shoulder of yourself, and offer you a warm and welcoming grin. You turn around, feeling the weight of your hand at your shoulder, and the reassuring presence of yourself at your side. Multiplied by five.

The deck of cards has a lot more potential than simply being suits, and can tie a lot more into the gambler's nature of the Joker.

Also, why are there not any dice? There are cards, but the true mark of a Joker is a set of Dice. I'd like some of our interesting Joker powers back, although... You know, more interesting.

Suppose instead of vanishing, it's a disappearing? Instant run away with a random map teleportation thrown along.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Paul Lo
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 03:50 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Can we get numbers with those suits? Options to draw more than one card per turn at say, some stamina cost?

Draw five cards: 3 pair 3's, 2 pair nines.

Full House: You look to your left and right. You wave back at yourself. Before you can wonder how you're looking at you, waving at you, you peek over the shoulder of yourself, and offer you a warm and welcoming grin. You turn around, feeling the weight of your hand at your shoulder, and the reassuring presence of yourself at your side. Multiplied by five.

The deck of cards has a lot more potential than simply being suits, and can tie a lot more into the gambler's nature of the Joker.

Also, why are there not any dice? There are cards, but the true mark of a Joker is a set of Dice. I'd like some of our interesting Joker powers back, although... You know, more interesting.

Suppose instead of vanishing, it's a disappearing? Instant run away with a random map teleportation thrown along.

I love being a Hare-Joker... Meh, I'll go by that name.

I like the cards. I think a 'Joker' card could be added to the regular set; a rare card that counts the same as the previous one, or that gives a random effect of random magnitude from one of the other cards' effects. Or an altogether unique effect.

Good ideas brought here. Robots can configure themselves, giving them a unique perk; adding an even more possibilities for randomness should be a must for Jokers.

K.K. Victoria, the fact that Jokers aren't centered on dice anymore could be a good thing; like kittymorphs who now specialize in pure naked fighting
and not just "taking of the armor", this is a differently designed path that delves further into improbability and uniqueness of the races than the old dice system.
That is what I see.

Yes, I have a dream, of electronic sheeps and linen bedsheets. But that's not the point. Or isn't it?

Profile Email
omenesia
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 03:52 AM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

Why would the broth Joker have broth then? Why would there be a Joker making cakes with poison or concentrated Fail in it?
(Those are my only two questions that have nothing to do with biology and physics.)

Really. I think that implementing food into the equation would make things much more interesting.

Joker's eating or not as a player aside:
It could be that those 3 or so jokers (Broth, CAKE or Death, Cake or DEATH) might enjoy messing with the other inhabitants of the Island by preying on their desire for food. After all they're playing with improbability still, perhaps they're monitoring the strength of the Drive, seeing if more improbable events are occurring, or maybe they're just expecting something else to be happening to the people who are sampling their goods. Maybe that slice of cake should be making me turn into an umbrella, or the broth is brewed to dye my skin plaid

Lions. Lions the whole way up.

Profile Email
Reverb
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 04:15 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: omenesia
Joker's eating or not as a player aside:
It could be that those 3 or so jokers (Broth, CAKE or Death, Cake or DEATH) might enjoy messing with the other inhabitants of the Island by preying on their desire for food. After all they're playing with improbability still, perhaps they're monitoring the strength of the Drive, seeing if more improbable events are occurring, or maybe they're just expecting something else to be happening to the people who are sampling their goods. Maybe that slice of cake should be making me turn into an umbrella, or the broth is brewed to dye my skin plaid[/p]

Why are we Probables even trying to understand the motives of Jokers?

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Count Sessine
 Wednesday, September 23 2009 @ 06:47 PM UTC  
Forum Moderator

Quote by: Reverb

Why are we Probables even trying to understand the motives of Jokers?

Most of the ones you meet in the Jungle started out, each in their own separate ways, meaning to teach you something about Improbability and how to deal with it. Yes, even that one who snarls murderously and sends you straight to the failboat! He surely began by wanting to communicate something important -- but was driven to insanity by contestants who wouldn't listen.

Tragic, really. Each Joker must try to find his or her own balance with Improbability. Some fail.

Those who would become Jokers themselves should think carefully about how to avoid this fate.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 02:28 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quick word on Jokers: love the cards, hate the lack of dice. The huge stack of debuffs is kind of annoying, but it's the lack of dice that irritates me the most. More often than not, I'm starting a day with terrible penalties to attack and defense, and there's nothing to be done about it.

So far, it seems like the detriments outweigh the advantages of being a Joker.

And, as for Paul Lo's view on the matter of the dice system, I see no reason why they can't have cards AND dice.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 02:54 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't know what to say from a gameplay standpoint, as I haven't been a Joker yet, but, isn't it a little odd from a roleplaying standpoint that Jokers don't eat? Great parties we'll have if no one cares to eat a single thing in the buffet...

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 03:16 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Jon+Bishop

I don't know what to say from a gameplay standpoint, as I haven't been a Joker yet, but, isn't it a little odd from a roleplaying standpoint that Jokers don't eat? Great parties we'll have if no one cares to eat a single thing in the buffet...

Well, just because they don't have to eat doesn't mean they won't. Besides, I rarely incorporate roleplaying with gameplay mechanics. That's why Gorbert doesn't use dice or cards, but rather his cane.

Profile Email
Gorbert
 Thursday, September 24 2009 @ 04:07 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

A thought on the eating, though...

It doesn't make sense that you can still eat rat packs and cook your own food, but can't go to a restaurant. Either food should be closed off altogether (which I would not like), or it should be available across the board.

Joker's don't have to eat; fine. They're at a constant 100% on all New Days. No matter how many Mutant Steaks you eat, this doesn't change. But you should still be able to visit a restaurant, to give yourself a boost in the middle of a day.

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.70 seconds
New Topic Post Reply