Enquirer Home Page | Twitter | Back to Improbable Island

Forum Index > Season Two > Development New Topic Post Reply
 Leaving the Economy
 |  Printable Version
K.K. Victoria
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 11:09 PM UTC (Read 5634 times)  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I had a thought just now.

The items that you carry with you into battle with the Drive are lost when you kill it. Right?

It occurs to me that sometimes I charge into battle with the Drive when I may have a mess of spare items that I'm not going to sell.

Something occurs, and it is that I am removing those items from the economy entirely. The reck that I'd gain from it is gone, and the item itself is gone. Supposing that I bought a One-shot, and didn't use it, then the price remains high, the one-shot is gone, and there is one less one-shot to purchase in the town wherever I bought mine from.

I was thinking, maybe spare items, things left over from your drive fight in your bandoleer and your backpack could get put into the trading station in the last outpost you were in, free of cost to the eBoy there.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
talkydoor
 Friday, October 09 2009 @ 11:47 PM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Good point! I always accidentally kill the drive with full backpack, and don't normally need to use anything...

Profile Email
Stanlygirl
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 12:07 AM UTC  
Forum Contestant
Contestant

Or maybe dropped as a crate-like item for pickup by another contestant? Or several crates, if you carry a fully-loaded back pack?

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 12:43 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Normally I'd agree with that Stan, but that might result in the player consuming whatever the item is, which will leave prices high, you know?

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 02:59 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

So where does all that req come from that I find with my Spatial Implant?

I suspect that having a "closed" economy would require many, many changes, and be much more difficult to tweak than the current system. The Island has no industry, and every inhabitant is continually engaged in acts of wealth destruction.

Profile Email
Zekiel
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 03:13 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

The price for One-Shots is outrageous at the moment (and has been for a lengthy period of moments, too). Anything that drives their prices back down gets three thumbs up from me. (Being a midget, not a mutant, you are disadviced to contemplate where the third comes from.)

The algorithm/function eBoy uses to determine the demand(multiplier) might need some editing? These prices just ain't fun anymore.

If the world didn't suck, we'd fall off.

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 04:02 AM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

The simplest solution would be for CMJ to vastly increase the rates at which teleporters, monster sprays, and grenades are being crate-dropped. Increase the rates until prices stabilize at saner levels, and then leave the rates there.

10k for a teleporter? 1000 req for a can of spray? 400-600 for one grenade? Come on, CMJ, have mercy on us. Rain thy bounty etc etc.

Profile Email
Zolotisty
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 04:02 AM UTC  
Forum Moderator

I don't like the idea much -- it should be the player's responsibility to empty their bag and bandolier if they're interested in bolstering the economy. If you say to me, 'oh but z, i don't.. what if i find the drive early and i have all these extra one-shots and grenades in my pack?', then I will say, 'Oh hey that is too bad.' There's no good reason that someone or something should riffle through your stuff to send it back to eBoy's -- otherwise, why not strip your broken, useless armor off, too, and send that back to Sheila?

If'y'want the teleporter prices to go down, donate more and work on your travel. More people walking means less demand and more crates found, which means more stock goin' into eBoy's.

BARK BARK BARK.

Profile Email
Jon Bishop
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 04:49 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

I don't believe that increasing crate drops will do much to lower the high prices. I think that adding more things to spend requisition on in the game would. Right now, the only thing I bother spending reck on is weapons, armor, and the occasional training. After those are out of the way, I hardly feel any need to have money. Why bother selling that one-shot I found in a crate if I have nothing to spend money on?

Profile Email
Reverb
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 10:04 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

otherwise, why not strip your broken, useless armor off, too, and send that back to Sheila?

How do you think Sheila can ahve an -unlimited- supply of everything? She's even stealing out helmets, boots, and gloves every once in a while..

And i swear, if i see one of the Mikes trying to wrench loose some 'spare parts' from my donkey again, i'm feeding him to the Furbles..

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
K.K. Victoria
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 10:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Zolotisty

I don't like the idea much -- it should be the player's responsibility to empty their bag and bandolier if they're interested in bolstering the economy. If you say to me, 'oh but z, i don't.. what if i find the drive early and i have all these extra one-shots and grenades in my pack?', then I will say, 'Oh hey that is too bad.' There's no good reason that someone or something should riffle through your stuff to send it back to eBoy's -- otherwise, why not strip your broken, useless armor off, too, and send that back to Sheila?

If'y'want the teleporter prices to go down, donate more and work on your travel. More people walking means less demand and more crates found, which means more stock goin' into eBoy's.

Z, I'm not expecting anyone to sell their items at that point in the game. To do so is ludicrous. If I have seven one shots in my inventory, by level fifteen, I'm not selling them. I use them for drive hunting. I find the drive after I spend two, so five are lost that could just easily reduce the prices in the local eBoy's.

To expect me to sell those? Why? Why would I bother risking it? For that matter, why would I even consider it anyway? To get reck that I'm going to lose in the next five minutes? It's not worth it to me to sell five One-Shots for some reck I won't use, and risk not having enough teleportation capability to find the drive. There is absolutely no incentive to me to sell those one-shots, so why would I even bother? Or even if I didn't need them, why bother?

And if your reason that I should 'Help the economy,' well, it's asking a lot to expect everyone to be so diligent, for no gain to themselves.

"You saved Pineapple!"

Profile Email
Silcatra
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 12:37 PM UTC  
Forum Contender
Contender

While the one-shots are getting ridiculous, in my opinion 1500+ req for monster repellent is just stupidly expensive for an item so useful, especially in NEWHOME, where rookies are trying to get their bearings. If they can never afford to get out of NewHome without serious risk of Failure, how are they supposed to explore the Island?

And when I stumble upon a crate in my unprotected travels to find that there are repellent sprays, there's no incentive to me to sell them, even if I do need the req. It's more worthwhile to hoard them, because they are stupidly expensive. This is not good for the overall economy.

Profile Email
monsterzero
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 02:28 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

Quote by: Silcatra

And when I stumble upon a crate in my unprotected travels to find that there are repellent sprays, there's no incentive to me to sell them, even if I do need the req. It's more worthwhile to hoard them, because they are stupidly expensive. This is not good for the overall economy.

Exactly! I have never sold a repellent spray to eBoy's. Why would I?

But the solution isn't "conservation" (of numbers in a web server?), it's to increase the original supply.

Profile Email
Beeker
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 04:31 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I do empty my backpack and bandolier before drive-fighting, just because I did not before the first DK and then I facepalmed and said, "if I sold those instead of having them disappear, it would drive prices down and help people who need to buy those things!" (Mind you, this was before the insane levels of today. But still.)

It's not difficult to do.

That said, I do think that the prices lately are indicative that the new system could use some tweaking.

Profile Email
Yrk
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 09:55 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I think it's time to invent a new improbable event. Stumbeling upon a random item in THE JUNGLE, the random item could be a leftover from someone's backpack or bandolier from when they beat the drive in that outpost. I mean it would even make sence, when you defeat the drive there's a big explosion and the shockwave is felt across the land. Why wouldn't all your belongings scatter across the fields?

Point with this wouldn't be to make things cheaper, but to reduce the need to buy things, which would make things cheaper anyway. every item you find is an item that doesn't have to be bought.

Profile Email
Aeridus
 Saturday, October 10 2009 @ 10:28 PM UTC  
Forum Badass
Badass

I definitely agree that it's a good idea for items lost in a Drive Kill to be tossed out in a few crates in the wilderness. Perhaps with a few pieces of Drive shrapnel embedded into the crates. Unused (finite) items should go back into the economy.

Profile Email
duphenix
 Sunday, October 11 2009 @ 05:05 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

The real problem with the high prices is that I can take advantage of them. I sell everything I find in crates except for small medkits and ration pack, and maybe a few insurance grenades. At first level though I can just tear around the island, looking for crates until I can buy the chainsaw, after that I get down to some serious drive hunting. Lower prices give me more of an incentive to get req from jungle fights, higher prices give me an incentive to wander for crates.

Profile Email
Anonymous: Massic, he who shall not be named
 Sunday, October 11 2009 @ 05:24 AM UTC  

Just putting in my 2 cents here,

How about the ability to donate your req to the island economy? The flavor text could be something along the lines of "You help Dan refinance the Prancing SpiderKitty" or whatnot. The effect however would be that the system would keep track of how much req was donated vs the demand at Eboy's, or something along those lines and adjust Eboy's prices accordingly. I'd gladly did a little deeper into my pockets to keep people in repellent, rather than upping the size of my "hat".

If I wanted to run from practicality like the raving madman that I am, I might suggest that after donating a certain amount of your req to a specific venue, you might be able to get some kind of discount at that shop. Say 10% off at a restaurant or extra clips for your weapon or whatnot. And of course since we all lose our memory after a DK we would lose knowledge of those donations too.

NesQuarX
 Sunday, October 11 2009 @ 08:51 AM UTC  
Forum Newbie

Ask CMJ to implement a proper closed economy and he'll ask you to code II in ASM.

I'm just a collection of Hypothetical Subatomic Particles.

Profile Email Website
Reverb
 Sunday, October 11 2009 @ 11:39 AM UTC  
Forum Improbable Badass
Improbable Badass

Quote by: Massic, he who shall not be named

Just putting in my 2 cents here,

How about the ability to donate your req to the island economy? The flavor text could be something along the lines of "You help Dan refinance the Prancing SpiderKitty" or whatnot. The effect however would be that the system would keep track of how much req was donated vs the demand at Eboy's, or something along those lines and adjust Eboy's prices accordingly. I'd gladly did a little deeper into my pockets to keep people in repellent, rather than upping the size of my "hat".

If I wanted to run from practicality like the raving madman that I am, I might suggest that after donating a certain amount of your req to a specific venue, you might be able to get some kind of discount at that shop. Say 10% off at a restaurant or extra clips for your weapon or whatnot. And of course since we all lose our memory after a DK we would lose knowledge of those donations too.

/me hands Massic an Awesome Pie.

"Censure acquits the Raven, but pursues the Dove." "So, that means i'm -always- innocent, right?"

Profile Email
Content generated in: 0.64 seconds
New Topic Post Reply