Subject: Donating to MSF

Posted on: December 09 2009 @ 11:21 PM
By: Ada

Content:

I have a few questions about donating to MSF through the II donations:

-Which chapter of MSF will the donations be going to? It is my understanding that each chapter does its own fundraising.
-Will donator points still be received immediately, or will it take longer because it's having to go through an intermediary?
-Do crates drop automatically once money is donated? Or does this take some time to process also?
-There were other charities on the list - when can people donate to them? Will there be a deadline for donating to MSF?

Thanks!

Replies:

Re: Donating to MSF

Posted on: December 10 2009 @ 12:00 AM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

I'm still very new to this, so a few things are still being worked out. I'll have answers for your questions soon, but some of them I can answer right now:

1. Which chapter - we'll figure that out. I was under the impression that you could just go to their website and click "donate" and give your credit card details, but if there's more options than that, clearly I need to do a bit more research.
2. You'll get Donator Points straight away, just like in the old system. Remember to donate while you're logged in, otherwise we have to do it manually - and remember that if you pay straight from your bank account, rather than your PayPal balance or a card, it'll take up to a week to go through. So basically it's the same system, it's just that the money's going to someone else.
3. Yes, crates drop automatically. The crate drop module hooks into the donation system, so getting your points and having the crates drop will happen simultaneously upon getting the ping back from PayPal.
4. I'm still figuring that out, but if and when we do start rotating the charities, you'll have plenty of warning. There's a possibility of us having multiple donation buttons - this would be tricky coding-wise, but I'm going to look into it and see how much work it'd take and whether it'd be easier.

You're welcome!

Posted on: December 10 2009 @ 01:36 AM

Content:

Currently the link behind the donations panel is to doctorswithoutborders.org - that's the US chapter. Here's the list of them: http://www.msf.org/msfinternational/donations/

It's my understanding that you have to pick one to donate to - msf.org doesn't take donations directly. I don't know enough about their internal structure to be able to say for sure, but it seems that each chapter has a certain degree of autonomy with regards to donations and their use, so donating to the Belgian chapter might not achieve the same ends as donating to the Japanese one, because the different chapters are involved in aid in different places. I'm really not sure!

Posted on: January 19 2010 @ 02:21 AM
By: Bluemoose

Content:

I have one quick followup question on the same topic. Since the donation seems to be directly to Doctors without Borders right now, is the other site going to notify you about donations? I recently donated to Doctors without Borders following the link through this site, and I believe they asked something about referrals at one point. I selected some code from a drop-down box. I haven't gotten the donator points yet, but you mentioned it may take up to a week to be processed in a previous post. Is this still the case?

Posted on: January 19 2010 @ 02:38 AM

Content:

To donate and receive donator points, click on the image. It brings you directly to a paypal page. My DP have always been ready as soon as I went back to check.
It sounds like you didn't do that, so you may want to send a message direct to CMJ with the details - hopefully you can still get some donator points, too.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=10766