Subject: Inventory contents

Posted on: June 20 2010 @ 01:25 PM
By: Buddleia

Content:

Would it be possible (or rather, easy to code) for us to be able to re-order the contents of backpacks and bandoliers? Moving item-types up or down the list? It would save a lot of scrolling when you're, say, using a dozen medkits after a fight, but they're at the bottom of the list. Or am I just being too lazy?

Replies:

Re: Inventory contents

Posted on: June 21 2010 @ 12:32 AM
By: Azhron

Content:

Quote by: Buddleia

...am I just being too lazy?

Yep! Big Grin

But, then, so am I, so I support the idea if it could be coded.

Posted on: June 22 2010 @ 12:49 PM
By: bl0b

Content:

Or maybe an option to use/transfer a bunch of items at once?

Edit: If you very quickly hit on 'use this item' (or buy/sell/discard this item), you can use a few of them at once before site refreshes. That's because they all have the same url, or rather, they don't have action number in their url (which is, i guess, still from the times before stamina was used and everything took one action point).
But you can do some minor regrouping using bandolier and cooking up all tasty and average quality meat.

Posted on: June 22 2010 @ 01:41 PM
By: KimmyMonstah

Content:

As much as I'd like something like this, I work around it just fine.
Plus it keeps my pack to a minimal of what I need, usually.

Oh, and that clicking it quick trick I have down to a friggin' science. Too fast and you'll blow right past usuing/moving stuff and might lag the game behind a click or two, then will wind up using something [say, an extra medpack you hadn't needed to heal on right then?]. To slow, and the page will load. I usually just count [for something like Imp bombs where it takes 6 to fill up the little pack], so it's like 'bing, bing, bing' all kinda quick. S'niiiiice.
I sekkretly love the quickclicktrick. Mr. Green

Posted on: June 22 2010 @ 03:02 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

Quote by: bl0b

...But you can do some minor regrouping using bandolier and cooking up all tasty and average quality meat.

You can use this to get your pack in any order you like. You empty everything into your bandolier and then re-pack your backpack. That is, transfer everything to your bandolier (well, except for the meat, but you're going to cook that), and transfer one of each item-type to your backpack in the order you want to see. Then put back the rest of the stuff.

Of course, this takes even more time than scrolling down...

What would be better than moving item-types up and down the list - because doing that would take a while, too - would be the ability to say, "Put this item-type on top of the stuff in my pack, where I can get at it easily."

That's what you're really asking for, isn't it, Buddleia? The ability to put whatever kind of item you're working with at the moment on top, so you don't have to keep delving down to the bottom every time.

Posted on: June 22 2010 @ 06:51 PM

Content:

Um, yes, I think so. But, since now I know about the awesomeness of just clicking very fast, it's not needed! Thanks guys!

Posted on: June 23 2010 @ 01:16 PM
By: bl0b

Content:

Just to be anal here, count sessine. There are items you can't regroup using bandolier. Quite a few, actually.
All 3 meat types, both medpacks, both food items (energy drink and ration pack), nicotine gum and crate sniffer, so that makes 9* items in total you can't transfer, while I normally see only about 5 items without scrolling when looking at the inventory. That option to send an item to the top would really be awesome.

____
*Ok, normally you don't have all 9 of them in your backpack. But I always have all 3 meats there, so it's a bit annoying when I use the last of medkits, that was keeping the place, by accident.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 12:19 AM

Content:

Reviving this old thread, now that we've got a third inventory section ... well, I'm far too addicted to the trains and cards and so on (see Compendium). I love collecting and trading.

But.

A great long list of cards, in the order they were found in, can be slow and confusing to sort through to see what you have got, whether you can do trades, if you've got what someone else is looking for. I've taken to clicking on a random person to get to the trade screen, copy-pasting the list into Notepad, and then sorting it by suit and number, so I can see at a glance what trading I can/should do. This process probably takes just as long as it would have taken me to just do my checking straight from the inventory. And every time I trade, and every time I find a card, I have to go back and look through them all and check it and update it. So, a stupid long workaround.

Assuming, from earlier posts, that it'd be more effort than it's worth to let you manually (or in Preferences, set a default?) reorder your inventories ... is it remotely feasable to have the cards auto-sort by suit and number, rather than by order of collection?

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 05:34 AM
By: Ada

Content:

I'd love it if I could order them in terms of how many I have: biggest sets at the top, single cards at the bottom.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 09:11 AM
By: zamboni

Content:

Reviving this old thread, now that we've got a third inventory section ... well, I'm far too addicted to the trains and cards and so on (see Compendium). I love collecting and trading.

But.

A great long list of cards, in the order they were found in, can be slow and confusing to sort through to see what you have got, whether you can do trades, if you've got what someone else is looking for. I've taken to clicking on a random person to get to the trade screen, copy-pasting the list into Notepad, and then sorting it by suit and number, so I can see at a glance what trading I can/should do. This process probably takes just as long as it would have taken me to just do my checking straight from the inventory. And every time I trade, and every time I find a card, I have to go back and look through them all and check it and update it. So, a stupid long workaround.

Assuming, from earlier posts, that it'd be more effort than it's worth to let you manually (or in Preferences, set a default?) reorder your inventories ... is it remotely feasable to have the cards auto-sort by suit and number, rather than by order of collection?

My vote is for auto-sort by order and number!

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 11:08 AM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

I'm with Ada. Biggest sets at the top. Perhaps jokers always at the top (or always at the bottom?) then in suit/number order. But having it just in suit/number order would be pretty good too.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 12:42 PM
By: Reverb

Content:

Agreed. any kind of order will do, realy.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 04:29 PM

Content:

Well, first. The code for trading cards now belongs to the Island -- which means it's CMJ's. I can suggest, like anyone else here, but he's the one who decides what happens with it from now on.

That said, we can still talk about what's practical. Changing the order of the card inventory display isn't entirely simple, because cards and other inventory items all use the same common code. Also, making a change there would mean you wouldn't be able to check the inventory to see what card you just picked up, as you can now. In hindsight, I really should have set it up to tell you which card you'd found at the time of finding! ...and I even know how I'd do that, but it'd need testing. Not so easy to change it now. Confused

It would be a lot easier to change the order of the displayed links in the trade screen to suit and rank.* Or -- sorting the resulting array of tradables by quantity and within that, rank would also be possible.** The question is, which would people rather see...?

Order A:
(1) Ace of Spades
(3) Four of Spades
(1) Two of Clubs
(1) Three of Diamonds
(4) Seven of Diamonds
(1) Eight of Diamonds
(2) Nine of Diamonds
(1) Three of Stars
(2) Joker!

-or-

Order B:
(4) Seven of Diamonds
(3) Four of Spades
(2) Nine of Diamonds
(2) Joker!
(1) Ace of Spades
(1) Two of Clubs
(1) Three of Diamonds
(1) Eight of Diamonds
(1) Three of Stars

--
* Order A would only take an "order by" clause added to the SELECT statement.
** Order B would use this: Sorting arrays.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 05:26 PM
By: Zpatula

Content:

I'd like a bit of 'Order A', please.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 05:37 PM

Content:

A, prolly. 0:

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 05:54 PM
By: Chimental

Content:

A is for Amsterdam. That's good enough for me!
A is for Amsterdam. That's good enough for me!
A is for Amsterdam. That's good enough for meee!
Oh Amster Amster Amster starts with A!

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 10:27 PM

Content:

I'm going to change my mind here and go for A. Hope you don't think that I've left you in the lurch Ada.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 10:39 PM

Content:

I'm voting for A, obviously. Especially if we can have Jokers at the top. (And maybe even the suits in standard Bridge CDHS order? Oh stop nitpicking you silly person, shush and be grateful for any improvement.)

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 10:57 PM

Content:

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Also, making a change there would mean you wouldn't be able to check the inventory to see what card you just picked up, as you can now.

Not necessarily. If you pick up a copy of a card that you already have, then it will slot into that space rather than go in the top as a new item.

Posted on: July 26 2010 @ 11:43 PM

Content:

I'm voting for A, obviously. Especially if we can have Jokers at the top. (And maybe even the suits in standard Bridge CDHS order? Oh stop nitpicking you silly person, shush and be grateful for any improvement.)

Sorry, Buddleia, I'm afraid these Improbable cards are not much like a standard card deck. (Hard to play bridge without face cards...) Option A is Spades-Clubs-Diamonds-Hearts-Stars-Joker.

Option B would have a bit more flexibility -- but it seems everyone likes the simple option better anyway!

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 12:45 AM

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

I'm going to change my mind here and go for A. Hope you don't think that I've left you in the lurch Ada.

I still prefer option B, by a significant margin!
The card images make it very easy for you to tell which cards you have. You can just hit your scroll wheel and see all of them, no problems. But it's not nearly as easy to see the difference between "1" and "2" when the numbers are all so small and all the same colour. I do not see option A as much of an improvement - I still have to go hunting to see what I have sets of.

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 12:46 AM
By: Burrz

Content:

I vote for A.

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 01:18 AM
By: Reverb

Content:

A is for Amsterdam indeed, although i wonder why Chimental picked that specific city.

But. Yeah.

A

edit->Heh. That looks nice, donnit?

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 02:29 AM

Content:

Quote by: Ada

The card images make it very easy for you to tell which cards you have. You can just hit your scroll wheel and see all of them, no problems. But it's not nearly as easy to see the difference between "1" and "2" when the numbers are all so small and all the same colour. I do not see option A as much of an improvement - I still have to go hunting to see what I have sets of.

I've got to say that, me, I'd have picked Order B. Though I can certainly live with A, and it would be simpler to program.

But, can I just make sure that we're all answering the same question? Right now we're not talking about the inventory display where you see the card images, but about the list of links that you see when you go to trade with someone.

Does that change anyone's answer?

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 02:34 AM

Content:

I've got to say that, me, I'd have picked Order B. Though I can certainly live with A, and it would be simpler to program.

But, can I just make sure that we're all answering the same question? Right now we're not talking about the inventory display where you see the card images, but about the list of links that you see when you go to trade with someone.

It doesn't change mine, but makes me want to pick A more! Razz
Sounds more simplistic for my eyes, which is probably a good thing.

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 03:09 AM

Content:

Quote by: Ada

Ah, nope, I seem to have missed that part! (Obviously.)
I have never found the trade screen particularly inconvenient. I'd still prefer B, but I can honestly say I don't care much either way, if we're talking about the trade screen.

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 04:03 AM
By: zamboni

Content:

The elephants all vote for A!

Any reason why the suits wouldn't be alphabetical? Not that I really care about suit order, but the one proposed seems pretty random.

Posted on: July 27 2010 @ 06:21 AM

Content:

Quote by: zamboni

The elephants all vote for A!

Any reason why the suits wouldn't be alphabetical? Not that I really care about suit order, but the one proposed seems pretty random.

It does, doesn't it?

Posted on: July 28 2010 @ 05:59 PM
By: Alik

Content:

Quote by: zamboni

It does, doesn't it?

Well, bridge, poker and many other games see spades as a trump suit, however that order usually has spades proceeded by hearts, diamonds than clubs. Also since II is a battle ground, we enjoy sharp and smashy things first and foremost, so as for the spades and clubs. However we need money (diamonds) to buy all this stuff from Sheila... Then well... No one really like that cranky tramp queen from Alice, and stars is just kinda butting in now isn't it?

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=15377