Subject: Combat mechanics

Posted on: September 15 2010 @ 04:57 PM
By: Bakemaster

Content:

So, having just been quite improbably KO'd, I feel compelled to bring this up.

Why do combat mechanics work the way they do? Specifically, why do I get hit so much harder with a given base defense and a large defensive buff than I do with the same base defense and no defensive buff, or even a defensive debuff?

Anyone who has done a significant amount of Titan hunting has likely noticed that, when you've got a gargleblaster going, the Titan hits like a fucking brick. A brick studded with caltrops and lemon juice. And it's not just when you get riposted, which would make sense - the harder you swing, the more it's going to hurt if your attack goes awry. On a bad Joker day, or once my various limited buffs have run out, I can fight a Titan as long as I have any stamina left and it's never going to kill me. If I go into red stamina, I'll die of exhaustion, but the Titan itself on Rank 1 does piddling damage. Yet when I spend the req for a gargleblaster, still on Rank 1, it's hitting me routinely for hundreds of damage at a time.

It's not just Titans, though. So, what just happened to me is that I'm jungle fighting on easy and a green knight a level below me hits me for a whopping 459 points of damage. Why? Because my force generator buff is still active and I've got a daily joker buff, making my defense look something like 26 +500ish. If I had a massive defense debuff, this enemy would be very unlikely to kill me, and if it did kill me it would probably take at least 3 dozen rounds to do it. I know this because I've spent time jungle fighting with 26 -23.7ish defense as well. I'm practically invulnerable with a massive debuff.

I can see a few explanations for one or the other type of behavior, but I can't see any explanations for the sum of the parts save for "hey, it's improbable" which would strike me as a total cop-out. So what I'm asking is, what's the logic here? Is there any? Is this behavior even intended?

I'm also interested in other players' opinions. Does this bug you? Do you think it's great? Are you indifferent?

Replies:

Re: Combat mechanics

Posted on: September 15 2010 @ 06:26 PM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Quote by: Bakemaster

So, having just been quite improbably KO'd, I feel compelled to bring this up.

Why do combat mechanics work the way they do?

Because that's the way they work in core Legend of the Green Dragon code. In Season Three, things will be different. Smile

Posted on: September 15 2010 @ 07:35 PM

Content:

That answers that, then. I look forward to not having a clue what's going on again, when S3 eventually rolls around. (Seriously, I do.)

Posted on: September 15 2010 @ 10:10 PM
By: Paul+Lo

Content:

S3 will be the answer to all our problems; hunger will be optional, monsters will offer a wide array of loot from their cold(er) bodies and a nigh-infinite amount of fun, about 1.06(X) times better than now.

Posted on: September 15 2010 @ 10:35 PM
By: Ashtu

Content:

Rookies will have a curfew, midgets must be leashed, robots will have a lifetime warranty, jokers must vanish slowly, kittymorphs will be clothed, zombies must clean up after themselves and mutants will wear veils. Oh, and humans will be reclassified as monsters.

Posted on: September 16 2010 @ 12:14 AM

Content:

Re-classified? Have you seen the news lately?

Posted on: September 16 2010 @ 01:24 AM
By: Akogi

Content:

Quote by: Ashtu

midgets must be leashed.

I can hear my character oddly enough telling the person trying to leash him where to put the leash, how to do it if he doesn't do it for them. And also possibily bite them* if he doesn't pull out his joker cards.

*For their safety, it's probably best if they had all of their shots and did it in fully protective gear.

Posted on: September 16 2010 @ 07:10 AM
By: Johnson

Content:

Question: When is Season 3 actually coming out? A while, or quite soonish?

Posted on: September 16 2010 @ 03:55 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

Quote by: Johnson

Question: When is Season 3 actually coming out? A while, or quite soonish?

There's plenty of life in Season 2 yet! The latest word I have is, perhaps another year? (Of course that could easily change.)

However, some of the "Season 3"-ish changes are actually happening in Season 2. For instance, moving Items into the core code is about to happen as soon as the code is stable. That will be a major change under the hood, and the beta test server for that is up already! See the MotD.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=17773