Subject: Joker bandoliers are now... different.

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 03:17 AM
By: Zpatula

Content:

Grenades in a Joker's backpack used to turn into Imp. Bombs overnight. Grenades on their bandoleers didn't change. Now my bandoleer is full of Imp. Bombs.

Bah! Cry

Replies:

Re: Joker bandoliers are now different.

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 03:23 AM
By: crashtestpilot

Content:

Have fun with all those cigs, req, charm, and death then! Smile
(Seriously, this might actually be more fun!)

~CTP

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 04:54 AM
By: Kash

Content:

For once CTP said something that didn't make me wriggle uncomfortably!

I think Jokers should always tend toward Improbability. That's the whole point of the race, right? And if the general consensus is that role-playing in such a way that brand new jokers have complete mastery over their powers should not be done, then they should also not be able to control whether grenades in the vicinity turn into Improbability Bombs.

After all, a bandolier sits just as close to the body as a backpack. Why should items in one be immune from latent Improbability but not items in the other?

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 04:59 AM
By: Onigiri

Content:

Quote by: Kash

I think Jokers should always tend toward Improbability. That's the whole point of the race, right? And if the general consensus is that role-playing in such a way that brand new jokers have complete mastery over their powers should not be done, then they should also not be able to control whether grenades in the vicinity turn into Improbability Bombs.

After all, a bandolier sits just as close to the body as a backpack. Why should items in one be immune from latent Improbability but not items in the other?

I also think it would be great fun to have non-grenades transform into other things as well.

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 05:12 AM
By: Devin

Content:

Quote by: Onigiri

I also think it would be great fun to have non-grenades transform into other things as well.

I'm terrified, yet somehow fascinated, by the prospect of an Improbable Ration Pack and its possible effects.

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 05:29 AM
By: Onigiri

Content:

Quote by: Devin

I'm terrified, yet somehow fascinated, by the prospect of an Improbable Ration Pack and its possible effects.

It could be awesome.

You eat the Rat Pack and grow an extra arm!

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 11:52 AM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

It could be awesome.

You eat the Ration Pack and...oh...what's that? Pleugh! There was an electrically charged rodent packed in there!

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 05:20 PM
By: tehdave

Content:

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

It could be awesome.

You eat the Ration Pack and...oh...what's that? Pleugh! There was an electrically charged rodent packed in there!

Must....not....click...link....things...to...do...today...

Posted on: September 25 2010 @ 07:18 PM
By: Hairless

Content:

Or perhaps it would be the vegetarian Boca Ration Burger.
(Tastes kinda like a Cuban sandwich, made with wabbit...)

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 05:28 AM
By: Mercury

Content:

Yes, because the *regular* Ration Packs aren't terrifying enough on their own. >_>

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 05:46 AM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

Quote by: tehdave

It could be awesome.

Must....not....click...link....things...to...do...today...

You know how dumb I am? I have caught myself 5 hours after I posted that, with 19 tabs open. 16 of them TvTropes, 3 of them YouTube videos linked from TvTropes. I did that to myself. I am not competent to handle such linkage.

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 05:57 AM
By: Scorpio

Content:

So, why not have other players grenades turn into improbability bombs if a joker is in the sleeping spot next to you?

Did I just suggest that? No, forget I said that, bad, bad, bad idea!

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 03:51 PM

Content:

Quote by: Scorpio

why not have other players grenades turn into improbability bombs if a joker is in the sleeping spot next to you?

The radiative power decreases proportional to the square of the distance, so while a grenade two inches from the surface of the radiative body gets enough Improbability to transform it overnight, a grenade just 16 inches away would take three nights to get the same Improbability. And that's assuming that it is not meanwhile radiating away excess Improbability at a high enough rate to remain under the transformation threshold, which I imagine it would.

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 09:07 PM
By: Bakemaster

Content:

The radiative power decreases proportional to the square of the distance

Sorry, but that's far too probable.

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 09:16 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

Quote by: Bakemaster

What's improbable is that distance increasing from two inches to sixteen inches leads to grenades taking three times as long to turn. Eight squared is Three? That sounds pretty damn improbable to me.

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 09:58 PM
By: Reverb

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Quote by: Bakemaster

What's improbable is that distance increasing from two inches to sixteen inches leads to grenades taking three times as long to turn. Eight squared is Three? That sounds pretty damn improbable to me.

The burn! The burn!

Posted on: September 26 2010 @ 10:55 PM
By: Bakemaster

Content:

As long as we're being picky, it's intensity that varies as the inverse square of distance, not power.

And what's the emissivity of the backpack as opposed to the bandolier?

For that matter, the conductivity and emissivity of an IB had better both be pretty damn small given that it never turns back into a regular grenade.

And have you considered tachyons?

Posted on: September 27 2010 @ 03:50 AM

Content:

OK, so my math was off, I admit. I had two women nagging at me to do housework and I had to get ready for work. Forgive me!

Posted on: September 27 2010 @ 08:11 AM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

OK, so my math was off, I admit. I had two women nagging at me to do housework and I had to get ready for work. Forgive me!

So you were being nagged to do housework, you had to get ready for work, and what you were doing was posting here in the forums? I can relate to that entirely. You're totally forgiven.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=17996