Subject: Custom Races

Posted on: November 04 2010 @ 08:19 PM
By: dizzyizzy

Content:

What if Custom races were actually custom in all aspects?

What I'm imagining is you have a list of Buffs/advantages. Each one you pick pops up a list of counters/debuffs with something like "Pick three" or "Pick one". Various Buffs are not available, based on what you picked.

That will take a TON of work to balance, but it could be awesome.

Also, customish race icons. Like a top hat on a ball of yarn, or a battery in the BRAAAINS jar.

Replies:

Re: Custom Races

Posted on: November 04 2010 @ 08:29 PM
By: Cousjava

Content:

You haven't tried BLOCKED* yet.

Custom race icons might be possible, if they're the right size, I could see possibly a way of getting them - work a similar way to avatars.

*I've heard they were very scary for CMJ at All Hallow's Eve.

Censorship enacted by The Network. Nothing new is coming. Monsters are not getting more intelligent.There will be no new species appearing. Nor any new cities.

Posted on: November 04 2010 @ 09:41 PM
By: Ashtu

Content:

Quote by: Cousjava

Censorship enacted by The Network. Nothing new is coming. Monsters are not getting more intelligent.There will be no new species appearing. Nor any new cities.

Don't I recall The Watcher emphatically stating something similar to this? Just before the first Onslaught?

Posted on: November 04 2010 @ 10:20 PM
By: Anon

Content:

What I would personally like to see would be a way to block newbies from becoming a race they hadn't unlocked yet. I don't rather enjoy seeing characters with the race "Joker*" and they haven't even had their 2nd DK yet.

----

* Or "JokerCat", "JokerTwin", "Jokermorph," "Wizard"...

Posted on: November 04 2010 @ 10:27 PM
By: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.

Content:

Quote by: Anon

What I would personally like to see would be a way to block newbies from becoming a race they hadn't unlocked yet. I don't rather enjoy seeing characters with the race "Joker*" and they haven't even had their 2nd DK yet.

----

*clears their throat*
We call those "posers" and laugh our arses off a them whilst sipping tea in modest environments.
Cheers.

Posted on: November 04 2010 @ 11:18 PM
By: Syd+Lexic

Content:

Sigh... Poor Syd. I'm mostly an RPer, and not even that much anymore... and in all the time I've been here, poor lil Syd just got his 5th DK. I almost wish I didn't agree with this idea... I'd love to see a joker Syd. Ah well. KBO - Keep Buggering On!

Posted on: November 04 2010 @ 11:55 PM

Content:

Quote by: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.

.....whilst sipping tea in modest environments.
Cheers.

What's "a modest environment?" One with clothes on?

Posted on: November 05 2010 @ 12:00 AM
By: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.

Content:

Quote by: Ashtu

Quote by: A Dapper Joker Sitting Nearby.

.....whilst sipping tea in modest environments.
Cheers.

What's "a modest environment?" One with clothes on?

Not necessarily.
You do not require clothing to be modest, friend.

Posted on: November 05 2010 @ 04:01 AM
By: Matthew

Content:

I think that last one is directed at me... but it was for a Halloween costume! D:

Posted on: November 05 2010 @ 12:14 PM
By: Ada

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

I think that last one is directed at me... but it was for a Halloween costume! D:

I can guarantee you that other people are calling themselves wizards, and they are not in Halloween costumes. Or they have a very loose definition of "Halloween".

Posted on: November 05 2010 @ 04:42 PM
By: Bakemaster

Content:

The real problem with "wizard" is that it's an occupation, not a race. The race is maiar. Razz

Posted on: November 06 2010 @ 03:41 PM
By: Kash

Content:

Quote by: Bakemaster

The real problem with "wizard" is that it's an occupation, not a race. The race is maiar. Razz

Was Merlin maiar? I never can remember. Or are you talking about the Harlem Wizards? Or the Washington Wizards? And what about Hogwarts? I thought they were all, ostensibly, human?

Posted on: November 06 2010 @ 04:13 PM
By: Cousjava

Content:

Quote by: Kash

Was Merlin maiar? I never can remember. Or are you talking about the Harlem Wizards? Or the Washington Wizards? And what about Hogwarts? I thought they were all, ostensibly, human?

Or what about Ailrun (cat) wizards? Lots of different races. The T'lan Imass, Tiste, dragon(?)...and also wizards are also known variously as magicians, sorcerers, warlocks, mages, Aes Sedai...

Posted on: November 06 2010 @ 05:56 PM

Content:

Careful, don't go putting ideas in rookies' heads! Balrogs are also Maiar. And we've already got a Rookie Sauron.

Posted on: November 06 2010 @ 07:34 PM
By: Reverb

Content:

Not to mention Saruman..

Posted on: November 07 2010 @ 05:26 AM
By: Bug

Content:

Sorry to spoil your lovely derailment here, but I really like this idea! It seems like there could only be a finite number of "buffs" to choose from, though, unless buying a custom race also meant getting a custom module for it, which could be Really Really Cool but also Really Really Difficult.

Not as difficult if players were willing to code each new race module themselves, of course...

Posted on: November 07 2010 @ 06:38 AM
By: dizzyizzy

Content:

Quote by: Bug

Sorry to spoil your lovely derailment here, but I really like this idea! It seems like there could only be a finite number of "buffs" to choose from, though, unless buying a custom race also meant getting a custom module for it, which could be Really Really Cool but also Really Really Difficult.

Not as difficult if players were willing to code each new race module themselves, of course...

It would be impossible to balance with unlimited buffs. There would definitely have to be a finite number.

Posted on: November 08 2010 @ 07:20 PM
By: freeman

Content:

Idea How about a point based system to balance custom races

Posted on: November 08 2010 @ 09:01 PM
By: Beeps

Content:

The main problem I see with this idea is minmaxing. If you can re-assign your stats every time you change your race, and you can buy an infinite race change, then you could essentially stack all buffs into whatever task you planned to carry out that day, or even that part of that day. Change race to give a travel buff, run to CC404, change race to have a stonecutting buff, get stone, change race to have a travel buff, travel to your house, change race to have a building buff... So forth.

Posted on: November 08 2010 @ 09:21 PM
By: tehdave

Content:

Quote by: Beeps

The main problem I see with this idea is minmaxing. If you can re-assign your stats every time you change your race, and you can buy an infinite race change, then you could essentially stack all buffs into whatever task you planned to carry out that day, or even that part of that day. Change race to give a travel buff, run to CC404, change race to have a stonecutting buff, get stone, change race to have a travel buff, travel to your house, change race to have a building buff... So forth.

I think this'd be more of a Per-DK thing...so you set up your custom race, and if you pick "custom", then you're your custom race, can't change until next time you DK... something like that, I think.

Posted on: November 09 2010 @ 09:38 PM
By: Tahvohck

Content:

Frankly, I'd love this idea, and think points-based, per DK would be a great way to do it, but ohdeargod the coding and balancing.

Posted on: November 10 2010 @ 05:16 AM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

While I don't dislike the ideas so far, I'd be more inclined to have custom race stat-buff assignment based upon percentages of race popularity by DK. That is, if you've done 50 DKs total, where 30 were Midget, 15 were Mutant, 1 was Joker, 1 was Robot, 1 was Kittymorph, 1 was Zombie, and 1 was Human, then you'd have 60% of the Midget's bonuses to fighting and penalties to traveling, plus 30% of the mutant's bonuses to fighting and penalties to hunting, etcetera.

I don't think Robot would make it overpowered either or encourage an inordinate amount of Robot play for min-maxers, because I believe many people don't like Robot for combat play?

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=19369