Subject: BOINC version

Posted on: December 11 2010 @ 02:16 AM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

A reminder for those who joined the WCG project early on, back when CMJ first started the team -- it's worth checking "About" for the version number of your BOINC client. The latest version is 6.10.58, on Mac, Windows, and Linux.

I'd been running 6.2.18 quite smoothly, no glitches at all, until all of a sudden it stopped being able to communicate with the WCG server. I don't know that the cause was the old client becoming incompatible as support was dropped -- there could easily have been any number of other reasons -- but I do know that upgrading to the latest client cured the problem, and I'm back in business.

The download page is here.

Just saying.

Replies:

Re: BOINC version

Posted on: December 11 2010 @ 03:33 AM
By: LadyRavenSkye

Content:

You sure? I've already had the updated version... and around the time you posted this (the last time the client shared information with the BIONC server-ish), I noticed my client had stopped working.
I reinstalled the client. Nothing.
I adjusted the settings. Nothing.

=/

Posted on: December 11 2010 @ 04:05 AM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

Your problem could be different from mine... and, as I said, no, I am not sure the old version was the cause for me. All I know is that I noticed, today, that my regular computer had not been communicating with WCG for three weeks. (I've another computer in the house that has BOINC installed, and that one was working, which is why I didn't notice earlier; the stamina reward was still coming through.)

Installing the upgraded client didn't make it work right away. The server was busy updating its statistics and not in the mood to talk to anyone, so I was rather biting my nails, but once it was finished, 14 work units downloaded just fine. As I type this, the first two are about 70% done.

Posted on: December 11 2010 @ 04:26 AM
By: LadyRavenSkye

Content:

It started working on its own just a few minutes ago. It was probably just the server being busy on my part then.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=20439