Subject: Lodge item

Posted on: March 31 2011 @ 05:25 PM
By: Swede

Content:

I have a suggestion for a new hunter lodge item:
A potion that allows players to redistribute their DK-points.
It allows people to experiment what points distribution works best for them.

Just an idea. I've no idea if it is even possible to execute.

Replies:

Re: Lodge item

Posted on: March 31 2011 @ 07:49 PM
By: D+Valentine

Content:

That would be wonderful. Big Grin

Posted on: March 31 2011 @ 08:43 PM
By: Wolfgang

Content:

I would be quite up for that as well.

Posted on: April 01 2011 @ 01:16 AM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

I would be against it, but I'd live if it were implemented on a cost-per-time basis. No permanent ability to restribute at will, please. And preferably, none at all.

Posted on: April 01 2011 @ 01:24 AM
By: dizzyizzy

Content:

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

I would be against it, but I'd live if it were implemented on a cost-per-time basis. No permanent ability to restribute at will, please. And preferably, none at all.

For the sake of debate, why?

Posted on: April 01 2011 @ 02:00 AM
By: D+Valentine

Content:

I'd live if it were implemented on a cost-per-time basis. No permanent ability to restribute at will, please.

That I agree with. Just a cost-per-time.

Posted on: April 01 2011 @ 02:19 AM

Content:

Quote by: dizzyizzy

For the sake of debate, why?

I was a bit terse to avoid the debate, but I suppose a forum is kinda built for debates.

DK points are an in-game representation of the growth of your character's skills while they learn to live on the Island. When you can redistribute your growth, it means your past choices don't matter. It also means that your character can bend with the theorycraft and becomes a tool to get ahead in the game rather than the representation of you in the game.

I played World of Warcraft, and I really disliked the effects that cheap re-specs (the equivalent of DK point redistribution in II) and dual-specs caused in the min-maxing community and the game's community as a whole.

If we find that in Improbable Island, an imbalance exists where stacking Attack is always better than stacking Defense or Health for your general combat effectiveness, it leads to most of the players just switching to Attack. If CMJ then tries to correct the imbalance and it turns out a ratio of 3 Defense to 1 Attack is the best, when people find out they will also switch to that en masse.

I got 50 Defense before I learned that Attack seems to be generally better than the other two stats for general combat effectiveness. In my current situation, I'm getting Attack after every DK now, but the fact that I'm still largely Defensive lets me think of Awesome Fred in the meantime as a lithe fighter (since Toughness is Health in this game).

Obviously, Improbable Island isn't World of Warcraft, and their talent trees are much more defining that the 3 stats are in Improbable Island, but once the combat system is revamped for S3, I don't want the can of worms opened where players feel entitled to point redistribution.

Entitlement is exactly what happened in WoW, and it was one of the factors that ruined the game for me.

Posted on: April 01 2011 @ 10:35 AM
By: Swede

Content:

I had meant it as an one shot item.

Also I don't think it too bad to be able to switch points around.
It shouldn't be done lightly however, so that might be taken into account for the item cost.

Posted on: April 02 2011 @ 03:51 AM
By: Mongo

Content:

If this were the only way to adjust stats, I would be in favor of it. We need some way to recover from mistakes(?) made without knowing the consequences. I, too, have unbalanced my stats in favor of Defense. Now, I'm trying to catch up by using the Clan Buff for attack and the Gauntlet for HP. It seems to be working so far.

Posted on: April 02 2011 @ 03:56 AM

Content:

Tynan's Gym seems fine as well. You can use it an unlimited time during a day, even with 0% stamina, so when you're down at 20 and otherwise done for the day, pump that iron however many times you need. It decays to 80% of the previous day each day.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=23074