Subject: What do you do while you play?

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 03:03 AM
By: Arodang

Content:

Out of curiosity, I'm curious, the curiosity is killing- ahem. Let me start that over...
I was wondering, as the abstract thought bounced into my head, what do you do while you're roleplaying on the Island? Sure, typing up those wonderfully descriptive and activity filled posts takes a good chunk of time, but then you're left waiting for your partner(s) in writing to do the same. So... What do you do?
In my case, I'm often playing other games on my other computer while I wait for something to bump chat on my laptop. Or dancing around my room like a fool to whatever music I've got turned on at the moment. Or... pretending to pay attention in class.
What about you all?

Replies:

Re: What do you do while you play?

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 04:11 AM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

I'm all about compulsively copy-pasting my RP into a text document.
Other times, I look here on the Enquirer for entertainment.
And, sometimes, I read webcomics. Like this one.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 04:19 AM
By: Ada

Content:

I study, fiddle about on the Internet, and argue with my co-writers.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 04:20 AM
By: Collin-Vee

Content:

I mash the refresh button like there's no tomorrow.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 04:44 AM

Content:

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Why would that help?

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 05:25 AM
By: Omega

Content:

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Why would that help?

Because it is obvious that the people you're role-playing with will see how you graciously support their endeavor by asking the Improbable Island server to send you news of their literary achievements that go in the subject of your current RP session and will write better and more quickly, FML. Do we have to tell you the reason for everything?

On the subject of this forum thread-thingy, I'll say it's never the same case twice for me! Sometimes, I'll work on what to say as a response when the other person posts or maybe look over a basic checklist of things I want to go over, or sometimes I would encounter this undeniably strong itch in my nose that absolutely has to be satisfied immediately.

Or maybe I'll just change the browser tab.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 06:03 AM

Content:

Quote by: Omega

Do we have to tell you the reason for everything?

YES! NOW!

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 06:35 AM
By: Matthew

Content:

Not gonna lie: I keep the Island in a corner or on the side of my screen (so I can see the scrolling text and tab back whenever something moves) and then I proceed to play all the videogames.

It's not out of disinterest or disrespect, but what the hell else do I do? Stare at the screen?

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 06:52 AM
By: Escemfer

Content:

Sometimes I watch video games, or read comics, or chatter in Ebenezer's ear. Oftentimes I log the scene I'm writing.

But most frequently of all, I click restlessly around the internet, not really looking at anything. Just need some filler, like.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 07:41 AM
By: Buddleia

Content:

I play on my laptop at home, usually sitting on my bed... never when I'm trying to do something serious like class or work. I've never been lucky/unlucky (depending on which way you look at it) to have lectures or a job slow and boring enough that I could so much as browse for ten minutes, far less log in to a game and play it.

In-game, if a scene is in a town, I do jungle fights. I look into L4 and the Banters to see if there are questions I can answer. I browse the Enquirer and the bug reports. If we're in a Place, I tend to explore, darting back to the original room every minute or so. I idly browse the Who's Online list and the Hall of Fame.

I usually have a few other tabs open. (Not that I'm looking at them all the time, but they're there, in case I do want to switch.)
- Quite often one of them will be one of my various spreadsheets (I like playing with numbers and charts and formulae and statistics, just in case nobody had noticed). No, not all of them are II-related.
- I usually have Beeps' text preview tool open with whichever room/page descriptions I'm currently drafting (and, usually, a whole load of Notepad++ tabs, and maybe Wikipedia or a thesaurus or some other research).
- Sometimes the Known Bugs, or the Enquirer.
- I also often have a webcomic, blog, or cute/funny pics. And GDocs, Gplus, and/or email.
- Very occasionally, Flash games like tower defences or Bubble Shooter or something.
- Oh, and I log scenes, too: in the absence of Export to Html, I tend to copypasta into a Gdocs template that preserves the IIsland formatting.

I also use Gtalk. A lot. There are many who I love to chat with almost every day, and dozens more occasionally. Sometimes I'll chat with the people/person I'm RPing with, commenting and laughing and planning about what's going on and what happened earlier and what could happen next.

I tend not to listen to music while playing - it tends to either set the scene-mood for me, which can be disruptive (and also changes way too fast with some songs being shorter than the times between posts), or the scene-mood distracts me from it. I like to concentrate on my music when I listen to it.

Physically ...
- Sometimes I go and kidnap a kitty or hamster to cuddle, briefly, until they start wriggling.
- Sometimes I play sudoku or crosswords or card games (sometimes on my phone, sometimes on the computer, sometimes by hand), small things that don't really engage the brain.
- Sometimes I just stare out of the window a bit - watch the horses and sheep in the fields, the birds on the lawn, the trees in the wind, the way the rain falls, clouds and shadows, etc.
- Sometimes I polish my computer - yes, really. It's very shiny and it looks and feels awful when it gets fingerprints on it.
- Sometimes I drink tea. Very occasionally, I'll be snacking or even eating real food (not often, but it does happen).
- My tendency to not listen to music notwithstanding, occasionally I revise my choir music. That is more a pattern-learning and practising-breath-control thing than background noise or mood-setting.
- Always ... I fidget. Twiddle my fingers, polish my glasses, brush my hair, scratch an itch, file my nails, click my toes, wave or circle with my feet, make silly faces, cross and refocus my eyes, change my position, whatever. Come on, what does anyone do when they're on the computer? What does anyone do when they're killing time?

When the pauses-between-posts seem very long (or when the urge or need strikes), I might use /afk to go and make a cup of tea, or go and see what the family are doing, or go and tend to whatever the cat is singing or bratting about this time, or go and tell the hamster to stop chewing his bars or admire his latest acrobatics.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 09:36 AM

Content:

I don't have time to explain the reason of everything ever, but I will try to outline a few important thingsFrownApologies for any topic derailment here, but FML's insatiable urge to absorb knowledge is strong!)

One- If you break triple chocolate chip cookies in halves, all the fat and sugar and other nutrients will pour out of it; the good taste will not.
Two- If you are afraid of being attacked by a rather large man in a dark alley or a street cat that's found a way to get in your backpack, or a thermonuclear war waged on your country by several competitors, remember this basic rule: If you can't see it, it can't see you.
Three- Ask your parents for advice about anything, even the brand of toilet paper you should use. remember what they say. Do its opposite. claim your parents are backwards and that they have no idea what you are doing. When you are old enough to be a parent, tell your children the answers your parents gave you, because they were wiser than you.
Four- You don't need a doctor for that lump. Take some cortisone and you'll be fine.
Five- Draw fire on the side of your car -- The better it looks, the more gasoline you will save.
Six- In board games, play obscure ones, hide the instruction manuals, and pretend to be the authority on them. Make up the rules as it fits you. If the rules are complex enough, you will never have anybody claiming they are inconsistent.
Seven- Insist on certain choices of programs, not based on whether or not they serve you better than others, but based on how distinguished they'll make you look.
Eight- Don't do drugs. You're barely good enough without them.
Nine- When you have a crush on somebody, tell them. Nothing could go wrong.
Ten- Always assume bad intention.
Now, I'd like to be more informative, but time is short, and I have an exam of sorts.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 01:16 PM
By: Qaptain

Content:

With its addictive qualities, I find myself playing II frequently on either my phone or computer. Whilst on my computer, I tend to have the IIsland open in at least one, often two or three tabs on my browser, which I will flick between. I size my browser window to fill only the tip half of my screen as the bottom is almost always taken up by a movie or TV show in the bottom left corner, minesweeper in the middle, and trillian on the right. Of late, I've had Ventrilo open concurrently. Usually, all this is accompanied by an extremely unhealthy dose of carbonated sugar water.
On my phone, things can be quite different. Usually, I still have trillian open, but not minesweeper, and certainly no more than one IIsland tab at a time. Often, I'll be reading, walking, or pretending to be asleep as I play.
Regardless of which device I happen to be using, a good portion of my thoughts are usually devoted to what the other person I'm storying with does while I'm posting. I guess this all helps answer that.

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 06:33 PM

Content:

Quote by: Buddleia

In-game, if a scene is in a town, I do jungle fights.

Oh yeah. I forgot I did this! It's one of the best things about Island chats.

Quote by: Omega

I don't have time to explain the reason of [i]everything[/i] ever, but I will try to outline a few important things. (Apologies for any topic derailment here, but FML's insatiable urge to absorb knowledge is strong!)

One- If you break triple chocolate chip cookies in halves, all the fat and sugar and other nutrients will pour out of it; the good taste will not.
Two- If you are afraid of being attacked by a rather large man in a dark alley or a street cat that's found a way to get in your backpack, or a thermonuclear war waged on your country by several competitors, remember this basic rule: If you can't see it, it can't see you.
Three- Ask your parents for advice about anything, even the brand of toilet paper you should use. remember what they say. Do its opposite. claim your parents are backwards and that they have no idea what you are doing. When you are old enough to be a parent, tell your children the answers your parents gave you, because they were wiser than you.
Four- You don't need a doctor for that lump. Take some cortisone and you'll be fine.
Five- Draw fire on the side of your car -- The better it looks, the more gasoline you will save.
Six- In board games, play obscure ones, hide the instruction manuals, and pretend to be the authority on them. Make up the rules as it fits you. If the rules are complex enough, you will never have anybody claiming they are inconsistent.
Seven- Insist on certain choices of programs, not based on whether or not they serve you better than others, but based on how distinguished they'll make you look.
Eight- Don't do drugs. You're barely good enough without them.
Nine- When you have a crush on somebody, tell them. Nothing could go wrong.
Ten- Always assume bad intention.
Now, I'd like to be more informative, but time is short, and I have an exam of sorts.

Wow! This is good information. But I must ask: how would the rather large man get into the street cat?
Good luck on the exam! I hope you know a lot about sorts!
The real reason for everything is "when two or more people love each-other very much..."

Posted on: April 07 2012 @ 11:51 PM
By: Toryn

Content:

Various things my family asks me to do. Watch tv. Get a drink. Make a bathroom run. Listen to music. RP as someone else. Read SMBC. Draw. Gtalk. Facebook.

It's amusing sometimes, actually. I'll have my laptop in my lap for island, iPad in my hand for drawing, and my phone at my side for Gtalk. Not all the time of course, but when I do I'm more wire than woman.

Posted on: April 08 2012 @ 12:07 AM
By: Ilovemath224

Content:

Roleplay with another character.
Think.
Play videogames.
Listen to music.
Do jungle fights.

Posted on: April 08 2012 @ 05:26 AM
By: Twosocks+Monkey

Content:

As usual, I think I might be the most boring.

I like to have immersive RP, which often simply means I'm running more than one character at once in order to forward the plot (I'm a plot addict, I'm sorry.)

So...only other stuff I have time to do while playing is gchat about the scene like Budd mentioned, or log the scene I'm in.

The long scenes sometimes get hard to manage continuity (especially in outposts) and if I'm logging as I go it's A LOT easier to double check that I haven't forgotten something, etc by skimming the log rather than clicking through page over page of outpost RP.

-Rose

Posted on: April 08 2012 @ 05:45 AM

Content:

Yes, FML, we had this cconversation about obvious things before. To get a large man into a street cat, chop him to bits and feed him to the cat.
Makes sure he does not rot.

Posted on: April 09 2012 @ 10:11 PM
By: Albert+Wesker

Content:

I'm usually drawing as I roleplay, or playing video games like Minecraft or VVVVVV.

Posted on: May 25 2012 @ 12:13 AM
By: Laser+Towel

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

what the hell else do I do? Stare at the screen?

... >> <<

Yes, I am one of those people.

Posted on: May 25 2012 @ 05:50 PM
By: Harris

Content:

Read webcomics, sing along with the music I have playing, play another character at the same time, talk on the phone, talk on gchat, roll my chair across the room, stare at the screen. Only rarely all at once.

...yes, yes I have been called "hyper" before, why do you ask? Mr. Green

Posted on: May 25 2012 @ 07:05 PM
By: Maniak

Content:

When I roleplay, I roleplay.

I don't like to be kept waiting by a distracted partner, so I won't keep my partner waiting either.

Posted on: May 25 2012 @ 09:13 PM
By: Matthew

Content:

I'd think "surfing the internet or something while I wait for autoupdate to tell me there's a new post" is different from "I'm roleplaying between playing videogames."

Maybe I just don't have a very long attention span.

Posted on: May 26 2012 @ 02:37 AM
By: Genevieve

Content:

Quote by: Maniak

When I roleplay, I roleplay.

I don't like to be kept waiting by a distracted partner, so I won't keep my partner waiting either.

So you're that slow all on your own? Wink

If I am on II I am almost always drawing at the same time. I am always on Gtalk at the same time.. and I am usually having small talks with my man-man-man-bear-man at the same time. Occasionally he will roll his chair over to mine (away from whatever game he is playing) To assault me in some way.

Mostly though, drawing drawing drawing. I have a drawing open while I am writing this.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=27430