Subject: FEEDBACK: Puzzle Combat

Posted on: May 09 2012 @ 09:51 PM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

It's been quite a while since Puzzle Combat came out. We've had ample time to experiment around and see how it's changed the face of combat in this game. It's a really interesting concept, the stun lock idea, and how you make decisions between deflecting Strong attacks and hitting Weak points.

But due to the short pace of Jungle fights, I regret to joke that the most significant impact it has made on my adventuring is that I used to press E and then 5 to spam Jungle fights, but now I press E and then Z.

How about you guys? Does anyone have a radically different experience with it?

Replies:

Re: FEEDBACK: Puzzle Combat

Posted on: May 09 2012 @ 11:23 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

Yes. Yes I do.

When I am spamming jungle fights I press E* and then F. Very different. Confused

Or sometimes... because they're there, and kinda funny... I do pick me a target. The result's the same. In one round, the monster's dead or I am.

Thing is, if this ever changes -- if the underlying battle engine changes to make fights last long enough to allow stun sequences to be a significant factor for high-DK players** -- much of the rest of the game will also need to be re-thought.

==
* E, because I'm usually waiting for a Danquest encounter or trying to reduce an outpost's threat level. Either way, I want to maximize my number of fights rather than speed through the levels. But the result's not any different for the tougher fights, and higher rank doesn't make fights last longer, either. (Bastard rank would make it a tenth of a round, if it could!)

** Though I haven't noticed any long fights even with Junebug, whom I've kept as a 2nd level rookie.

Posted on: May 10 2012 @ 12:01 AM
By: Twosocks+Monkey

Content:

Lately, playing as a robot (my first DK as a robot and MOST DEFINITELY MY LAST THIS IS HORRIBLE OMG*) I'm using it.

And of course I adore the various amusing 'strike bodyparts'. The Cigar is a good one. So is the Crush on the Watcher.

Those I LOVE.

Otherwise, yeah I'm fleeing with R, hitting D or sometimes, sometimes choosing a number.

Granted, I'm at DK 15, which is pretty much nothing compared to you two I'm sure.

-Rose

* I can't do any meaningful building. Multiple monsters kill me immediately. Those are really my main complaints. The flavour text and all that is pretty neat, but for doing my relatively normal buildy things it makes me want to slit my wrists. Thus, unless RP FORCES me to (I try to be method and actually play the race I'm 'playing') I will never play as a robot again.

Posted on: May 10 2012 @ 12:04 AM
By: Collin-Vee

Content:

Personally, I use it from time-to-time, usually when I'm not in a hurry and have time to enjoy it, or am about to be killed and a stun sequence would save my hide. It's moreso a 'use it if you want to, don't if you don't' sort of thing for me though, I don't notice any real difference unless I'm in a tight spot. And usually, I discover the sequences because the autofighting engine did it for me.

Posted on: May 10 2012 @ 02:17 AM
By: Ada

Content:

I don't use it, but I do think that I die randomly more often since it came out, because of the strong attacks. I don't think it makes fighting any more interesting.

Posted on: May 17 2012 @ 03:49 PM
By: Awesome+Fred

Content:

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Yes. Yes I do.

Thing is, if this ever changes -- if the underlying battle engine changes to make fights last long enough to allow stun sequences to be a significant factor for high-DK players** -- much of the rest of the game will also need to be re-thought.

The honest truth of the matter is that I wonder sometimes how much weight this argument holds about the combat system. Currently, there's no limiting factor, no plateauing, no logarithmic growth inhibitor, etc. Maybe I'm unfairly grossing over the few things that ARE in place, but by and large, it looks like the current design is so unbalanced that trying to make a band-aid fix in order to make combat more interesting (by necessitating the stun sequence with longer fights) might be worthwhile.

When it comes to something like this, breaking a broken thing isn't always regrettable.

Puzzle Combat definitely has the potential to be a fun design. It's interesting, and strategy would make a real difference. I don't want the idea to be abandoned over its "failure" to take hold. We need to rebalance combat damage, HP, and maybe even Fight Stamina (for patience reasons) to get it right, but I think it might totally be worth it.

Still, is there anyone else who uses it constantly?

Posted on: May 17 2012 @ 06:03 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

When I wrote that parts of the game would need to be re-thought I was thinking mostly about Onslaught. That's expecting players to slaughter hundreds of monsters in an evening -- which is fine if each monster takes two seconds. Quantity versus quality... if each monster kill required twenty seconds from a player, the OST would have some difficulty, I expect, getting ten times as many recruits.

Then there's the way xp awards shift the numbers of monsters for each level as the DK count rises. At 145 DKs, most of my time each run is now spent fighting level 1 monsters. That's all right when it's 'click-BAM' each time, but if each fight took long enough for stun sequences to kick in, I'd be seeing, and having to focus on, the same twenty creatures over and over and over again. This would not improve my playing experience.

Many of the Hall of Fame lists would also become much harder for new players to advance in, giving an unfair advantage to those of us who racked up scores in the old system.

Puzzle Combat isn't going to be abandoned. As I understand it, it's a foretaste of what we'll get in Season Three -- after a full reset, with a brand new combat engine, and with all of the things that you mention (along with many others) being indeed rebalanced to produce a game with a very different feel to it.

No doubt that new system will turn out to have its flaws, too. But they'll be different flaws, and we will be able to spend endless enjoyable hours here in the forum, analyzing how that, in its turn, can be improved! Big Grin

Posted on: May 17 2012 @ 11:01 PM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

Quote by: Awesome+Fred

Still, is there anyone else who uses it constantly?

Yes, yes I do. But I'm not sure it does anything but kill me with Strong Attacks and Guarded Spots.

Posted on: May 19 2012 @ 08:54 PM
By: Svergon

Content:

I can say that I only bother with it on blocking the strong attacks, the rest of the time I go round by round on confusing insults.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=27891