Subject: Suggestions for page navigations.

Posted on: August 30 2012 @ 09:25 PM
By: Clueless

Content:

So, my goal here is suggestions that reduce the number of page loads, and the number of times people have to click to get things done. And that they all be easy changes, nothing that'll take lots of coding, just a few tweaks.

Why? Slightly lower server load, and it saves time for people, especially mobile people.

What and How-

1) The travel events where a camera gives you free req, instead of going to a page that says continue and gives the message, just stay on the world map and give the req message like anything else that pops up, like the Mount messages. Saves 1 page load/click.

2) Raven Inn. I hate clicking away from this thing. I feel like I find it a hundred times a day... And I'm probably not far off sometimes. Recommend the same thing, add the enter link to the map navigation menu, like a Place, maybe have it persist for one more movement just because it's Improbable, to make up for it's lower visibility for people who want to find it. Saves 2 page load/clicks, except when you accidentally click enter instead of exit, then it saves three!

3) Sheila's. I'd guess that 95% of time time people sell something it's in order to buy something else. So when we sell something, put us back in the page of that category! It'd be nice if it did that at the same time as giving the 'You sold this!' message... It feels really unnecessary to have a page devoted to that. Display that message like the sell message in eBoy's! Saves 2 page loads/clicks if you go right to the same category after selling an item, and, again, even more if you include mis-clicks.

4) Running. Can we have a run for five or ten rounds, or have a run until it's all over option? Please? Saves a metric drive-ton of page loads/clicks.

5) Drinks. Now, this isn't really one I think is much of a bother at all, but what about a 'The Works' option at Vigour Mortis, Booz, The Rook's Nest, and Cool Springs Cafe? All it would do is drink both/all available drinks at once. Barring that, navigate right back to the bartender after drinking one drink. Depending on what, and if, you choose, it can save lots of page loads!

6) Cage fights. Or rather, adrenaline shots afterwards. Can there be a link to get a quick shot right there, and it takes you back to the same page so you can fight right away? Saves two page loads each time. Oh, and as far as encouraging rookies to explore the link to go to the Watcher, only have the quick link show up after your first DK, or after the first time you get an adrenaline shot or get the Watcher to return you to the island.

7) Tynan's gym. After doing one round of training, have an additional option to do it five or ten times more! I'd recommend it only shows up then to reduce clutter and prevent accidentally doing 5/10 rounds of training a contestant didn't want to do. But I'd love it even more if all the options were on the main page of the gym. Saves lots and lots of pageloads!

8) Preferences. A way to be able to change these without returning to an Outpost would be Awesome. It's not a common thing to do, so maybe have a link in the inventory? That's one option anyway, I'd be fine with it being right under/over Quit to the Fields. Saves lots of time and pageloads, depending on how far from an unbreached outpost a contestant is when they want to change something.

9) Gifting Station. A 'Redo' button after you've gifted something. Either to the same person, or a different person, with every other thing the same. Or, simply, the option to send multiple packages at once, maintaining the cost of SP per package as is. Except the freebies of course. Saves a heckuva lot of page loads and time.

10) To be determined. I'll think of one, really!

On a completely unrelated note, can Dojo masters get buffed a bit? I don't mean on DK1, or 2 or whatever, but after.. I dunno, lets say 10, maybe 15, they are complete pushovers. I can oneshot most of mine, very easily, without even being on a great joker day. Sure, sometimes I have -90% attack, and then it's actually hard to kill some of them, impossible even, on those rare days. Otherwise they're a disgrace. The truancy text is completely spot on accurate, they're not worthy of my attention. I just didn't feel that this needed it's own thread.

Questions, comments, bitchfits? Post. Err, I don't endorse the last on the forum of course! Distract me to call me a stupid asshole.

Replies:

Re: Suggestions for page navigations.

Posted on: August 30 2012 @ 09:50 PM
By: Matthew

Content:

Agreed with a lot of these, especially 2, 3, and 6.

I think this has been changed (I haven't bought one in recent memory) but it used to make me laugh that you needed to click through like seventeen confirmations to buy a 40 req spork but you could accidentally blow 100 cigs on a claim stake with a misclick. Sheila's in general could definitely be a lot more streamlined.

Posted on: August 30 2012 @ 10:38 PM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

I agree with these! And I have this to say, also:

Quote by: Clueless
3) Sheila's. I'd guess that 95% of time time people sell something it's in order to buy something else. So when we sell something, put us back in the page of that category! It'd be nice if it did that at the same time as giving the 'You sold this!' message... It feels really unnecessary to have a page devoted to that. Display that message like the sell message in eBoy's! Saves 2 page loads/clicks if you go right to the same category after selling an item, and, again, even more if you include mis-clicks.

Or, just have the "Buy" button automatically sell your old thing. (Thus the mechanism which governs the buy button's appearance would also have to take into effect the price the person current weapon/thing and whether on not the contestant could sell it.)

4) Running. Can we have a run for five or ten rounds, or have a run until it's all over option? Please? Saves a metric drive-ton of page loads/clicks.

Also, same thing with insults. Still.

8) Preferences. A way to be able to change these without returning to an Outpost would be Awesome. It's not a common thing to do, so maybe have a link in the inventory? That's one option anyway, I'd be fine with it being right under/over Quit to the Fields. Saves lots of time and pageloads, depending on how far from an unbreached outpost a contestant is when they want to change something.

I'd be happy with just a link on the world map and in Places. Y'know, for RP.

10)

Allow me to put words in your mouth about putting food in your mouth: after purchasing a meal, the owners shouldn't kick you out of the restaurant. You should still be sitting in the restaurant, with the options of leaving, buying more food, or selling meat.

Posted on: August 30 2012 @ 11:22 PM

Content:

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

Allow me to put words in your mouth about putting food in your mouth: after purchasing a meal, the owners shouldn't kick you out of the restaurant. You should still be sitting in the restaurant, with the options of leaving, buying more food, or selling meat.

That would of been one, but alas, it is already true!

You don't get kicked out anymore! You stay on the same screen.

Also, a reply from Matthew agreeing with me and not actively disagreeing with anything? Good Feth I'm on fire!

Or, just have the "Buy" button automatically sell your old thing. (Thus the mechanism which governs the buy button's appearance would also have to take into effect the price the person current weapon/thing and whether on not the contestant could sell it.)

I love this even more, but I think it'd take more coding to do. I totally support it, but for the sake of ease of implementation my suggestion remains my recommendation. Unless it's really easy as well, then screw my idea and do that instead!

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 12:09 AM

Content:

Also, a reply from Matthew agreeing with me and not actively disagreeing with anything? Good Feth I'm on fire!

I am sad and amused that this is a completely fair thing to say

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 12:14 AM
By: Collin-Vee

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

I am sad and amused that this is a completely fair thing to say

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 12:18 AM

Content:

I'm

I'm a little uncertain what you're trying to say here

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 12:34 AM

Content:

Oi, Oi!

Simmer down on the spammage, eh?

Thank you!

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 01:44 AM

Content:

Oi, Oi!

Simmer down on the spammage, eh?

Thank you!

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 02:13 AM

Content:

Really, Collin, that's beyond beginning to become annoying. At this point, the answer to your spam image is starting to be Jackass. I already asked nicely.

If someone of appropriate power should see this, please delete the spam, thank you.

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 02:16 AM

Content:

Really, Collin, that's beyond beginning to become annoying. At this point, the answer to your spam image is starting to be Jackass. I already asked nicely.

Apologies. Took the silliness too far.

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 02:54 AM

Content:

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Apologies. Took the silliness too far.

Alright, we're good then.

Posted on: August 31 2012 @ 03:50 AM
By: quinn

Content:

Total agreement here! Clue, stop taking words from my head!!

Posted on: September 01 2012 @ 04:57 PM

Content:

Oh... well, look at me, being topical. Hmm... new ten!

10) Like the Pinata, get rid of the Kissing Booth link after it's used up for the day. Add some flavor text explaining "once per day", if you must, CMJ.

Posted on: September 01 2012 @ 09:05 PM

Content:

Oh... well, look at me, being topical. Hmm... new ten!

10) Like the Pinata, get rid of the Kissing Booth link after it's used up for the day. Add some flavor text explaining "once per day", if you must, CMJ.

Well, sounds nice.. But that isn't exactly in line with the theme of the thread, streamlining common events to reduce the number of pageloads.

It can still be #10 though!

Posted on: September 01 2012 @ 09:32 PM

Content:

It wastes pageloads when I have to pop in and check if I've gone there yet.

Posted on: September 03 2012 @ 09:16 PM
By: Manist

Content:

Mabye remove the "return to ImprobableCentral" when a event occurs. I hate when I get a beer spilled on me then wander out of the building when I went to listen to Seth and get shot down by flirt with Emily.

Posted on: September 03 2012 @ 10:25 PM
By: Trilonias

Content:

I think you got most of the bases pretty well covered... Just need CMJ to notice this or something. See what he says/thinks.

Posted on: September 03 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Content:

6) Cage fights. Or rather, adrenaline shots afterwards. Can there be a link to get a quick shot right there, and it takes you back to the same page so you can fight right away? Saves two page loads each time. Oh, and as far as encouraging rookies to explore the link to go to the Watcher, only have the quick link show up after your first DK, or after the first time you get an adrenaline shot or get the Watcher to return you to the island.

Or, better yet, just make the 2-3 options you get when talking to the Watcher not in their own little room, but under a "Talk to the Watcher" heading in the Retraining Pits.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 02:06 AM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Tonight I am rebuilding the Gifting Station. My criteria is that it should take less than two minutes to send five different things to ten different people.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 02:25 AM
By: Escemfer

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

Tonight I am rebuilding the Gifting Station. My criteria is that it should take less than two minutes to send five different things to ten different people.

Hell yes.

You fill my life with joy, CMJ.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 11:19 AM

Content:

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 11:45 AM

Content:

Too late to edit: I guess two Islanders living in the same house are gonna have to use a middleman now, huh?

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 02:18 PM
By: LydiaDefountain

Content:

Well at least till the place banter options get rolled out.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 03:04 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

Too late to edit: I guess two Islanders living in the same house are gonna have to use a middleman now, huh?

You always had to do that anyway didn't you? Or am I missing something here?

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 06:00 PM

Content:

YAAAAY Mr. Green

New gifting station features rock.

Can I still ask for a confirmation screen before you box up all the gifts, listing what you're sending and how much of each? Like,
2 cookies
1 teleporter
20 chocolate cupcakes

continue y/n?

Even sans item confirmation, it's way better than trying to carefully click the exact right item out of a list of a hundred things.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 06:15 PM
By: Ada

Content:

Quote by: Escemfer

YAAAAY Mr. Green

New gifting station features rock.

Can I still ask for a confirmation screen before you box up all the gifts, listing what you're sending and how much of each? Like,
2 cookies
1 teleporter
20 chocolate cupcakes

continue y/n?

Even sans item confirmation, it's way better than trying to carefully click the exact right item out of a list of a hundred things.

Seconding all of this. New gifting is so excellent!

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 08:41 PM

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

You always had to do that anyway didn't you? Or am I missing something here?

Nah, two different computers on the same connection were okay, but now it seems it just the entire IP range is under the hammer now. Oh well.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 09:07 PM

Content:

--I believe that players from the same email address or IP address couldn't send things to each other... and then, for a while, people were able to do so. Not sure whether that was ever intended or not, since CMJ initially disabled sending-to-alts deliberately.

Though I think it would be really cool if I was able to, y'know, send a Memento to Ebenezer... or send a Title Changer to another of my characters...

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 09:30 PM

Content:

I don't know how the system would possibly know the difference. Only thing I can think of is a mod-maintained whitelist of people who can prove they're separate people under the same roof.

I live with Waverly and used to send stuff to her all the time, so yep. Need a go-between to do that now.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 09:44 PM
By: Maniak

Content:

Additionally, could there be a way to remove contestant names from the list? Say you just entered 20-odd names only to see you mis-clicked on one of them.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 10:49 PM

Content:

I don't know how the system would possibly know the difference. Only thing I can think of is a mod-maintained whitelist of people who can prove they're separate people under the same roof.

I live with Waverly and used to send stuff to her all the time, so yep. Need a go-between to do that now.

I think a good way to do it would be to have certain items disabled for transfer between "alts", such as sellable eBoy's items, since that's the main point of disabling gifting. But then again, I don't know how complicated that would be to program.

Posted on: September 04 2012 @ 10:50 PM

Content:

Yeah. It shouldn't matter if we want to send hunter's lodge stuff to alts or not. I mean, does it really matter who bought it?

Posted on: September 06 2012 @ 04:10 PM
By: Buddleia

Content:

I love this thread.

To me, these things suggested ... as they are, they're just screens to click through. (It reminds me inescapably of Windows asking you "program X wants to do Y! is that allowed?" every single time that you open a program or change a file.) Simplifying the navigations would be so lovely. Of course, it's work for CMJ to do them, but then For Ever And Ever Amen, the players have a more-pleasing less-boring time, and the server doesn't have to dish out quite so many helpings of That Same Thing Again.

My favourites so far: the beautiful redesign of the Gifting Station and Distractions (no more copy-paste and ticking off a list, when sending things to three or thirty-three people! Yay!). And the hopefully-to-be-taken-up suggestions for streamlining Sheila's and simplifying Raven Inn and camera-req.

My own suggestion, for the thing I would really really like, which would save me a huge amount of clicking:

In Places, from the Programming menu, when you click to edit a Program, you can use the Contraptions and Contrivances which are currently in your inventory.

To use the C&Cs from your in-Place stockpile, you have to leave the programming menu and go to the Place Inventory, find and take the C&Cs one by one (while trying to remember/work out exactly what you'll need) and then go back to the Programming menu and back to that particular program.

It would be much simpler if the C&Cs in the Place's inventory showed up for use in the Edit This Program menu.

After all, when you're doing construction work you don't have to go to the Place's inventory and pick up the Logs and Stones one by one by one by one by one into your Inventory to build with them (hooray!). You just go to the Current Jobs screen, and click Build (and with those lovely x5, x10 and All buttons, too!)

And also: I know these have been suggested elsewhere, but I'm going to repeat them because I love them so much:

1. Bulk pick-up/put-down, give/take, and transfer-to-backpack/transfer-to-inventory of objects, with an input box for how many to do. Or by a Move Half button.
For instance:

- Weightless building materials from the Creator Bundle get built with first by default, when you have normal and Weightless. I don't want to use my Weightless ones first - what if I want to take them somewhere else? But you see, I never deliberately moved them into my Place. They jumped in without my permission when I was bringing ordinary ones. If I do Take All on the Weightless, then the normal ones come too. If I do Take All on the normal, then the Weightless ones come too. So if I want to move them back to my Lodge bag, then I have to scroll and click two thousand five hundred times. Bugger that for a game of soldiers.

- Moving building materials from one Place to another. If I'm helping a friend, I can go to my stockpile, and scroll down to logs. Click to take one. Scroll down to logs. Click to take one. Scroll down to logs. Click to take one. And by the time I've taken enough logs to be a worthwhile gift, I'm so bored of click-and-scroll that I would rather have just gone to get a kit and cut new ones.

- Moving five Improbability bombs to my bandolier from my backpack, or six each of Zaps and Bangs. There's a lot of scrolling going on in the player-inventory page - Sort Alphabetically nicely gets Bangs to the top, but with the Dancer's Ribbon, a cooking pan, and four kinds of herbs always in my backpack along with the currently-useful things, no matter what sort order I use I can hardly ever get Zaps or Improbabombs near the top of the list. Especially since Sort Recent seems to put recently-acquired things at the end of the list.

2. Bulk buy/sell at eBoy's. Yes, of course, this does require Maths and even Strategies and so on because of prices changing as the stock changes. But, as someone who frequently buys and sells grenades by the fifty, I would far rather click only a few times and pay a lot more than sit there mashing the B or A keys (which often has me accidentally doing something else when the hotkey changes) for several minutes.

In summary: Yes! Please! More of this excellent stuff!

Posted on: September 06 2012 @ 05:27 PM

Content:

Quote by: Buddleia

- Moving five Improbability bombs to my bandolier from my backpack, or six each of Zaps and Bangs. There's a lot of scrolling going on in the player-inventory page - Sort Alphabetically nicely gets Bangs to the top, but with the Dancer's Ribbon, a cooking pan, and four kinds of herbs always in my backpack along with the currently-useful things, no matter what sort order I use I can hardly ever get Zaps or Improbabombs near the top of the list. Especially since Sort Recent seems to put recently-acquired things at the end of the list.

Yes, could we please get the reverse of sort recent? I like sort recent because it means my meat pan is at the top of the list, but sucks to be me when I have a pile of unopened gifts to scroll down through to get to my grenades, but I only want to put half of them into my bandolier...

Posted on: September 06 2012 @ 05:29 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

Quote by: Ada

Quote by: Buddleia

Yes, could we please get the reverse of sort recent? I like sort recent because it means my meat pan is at the top of the list, but sucks to be me when I have a pile of unopened gifts to scroll down through to get to my grenades, but I only want to put half of them into my bandolier...

Isn't it easier to put all of them in your bandolier and take half of them out again? Even though that's more individual grenades moved, that's what I often do.

Posted on: September 06 2012 @ 05:55 PM
By: Buddleia

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

Isn't it easier to put all of them in your bandolier and take half of them out again? Even though that's more individual grenades moved, that's what I often do.

Depends whether you're optimising for total clicks, total scrolling, or total time taken. Big Grin

Posted on: September 06 2012 @ 06:10 PM
By: Maniak

Content:

Oh Buddleia, I can just imagine you with a stopwatch in your hand and a spreadsheet at your side. "Let's go transfer some grenades!"

On topic: I absolutely LOVE the instant 'search as you type' feature in the Gifting Station. Love it to bits.

Posted on: September 06 2012 @ 07:42 PM
By: quinn

Content:

I was going to quote a part of it, but then I realized I just agree with Buddleia's entire post, so this is me agreeing!

Posted on: September 06 2012 @ 09:51 PM
By: Cicero

Content:

I would like to be able to move grenades, etc, to my bandolier WHILE in eBoy's.

Posted on: September 07 2012 @ 12:15 AM

Content:

Quote by: Cicero

Being able to use items from there would be good also. It doesn't add a whole ton of convenience (because those actions can be done just as easily outside), but it certainly would reduce confusion. I've helped several people who were confused about why they couldn't use medkits, for example - they didn't realize the function was turned off inside eBoy's, so they thought there must be some sort of problem.

Posted on: September 07 2012 @ 02:56 PM
By: Trowa

Content:

Quote by: Cicero

Being able to use items from there would be good also.

Use items and open gift boxes, please! Big Grin

Posted on: September 09 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Content:

I use the sort by quantity, hotkey Q! It'll put all the stuff you have most of at the top. So everything that has at least 2 items in the stack will be above your pan, gifts, et cetra. Stacks with a single object in them tend to get tossed randomly in with the others, but if you were going to put that many in you'd of used xfer all.

Anyways, yeah, quantity sort, works really well!

Not that I'd dislike having another way of moving them. Especially logs/stones.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=29162