Subject: It's that time again - donation ideas thread.

Posted on: September 24 2012 @ 08:57 PM
By: Matthew

Content:

You have 112 Supporter Points left, out of 28,295 accumulated in total.

You are good at separating me from my money, sir. And trust me, getting anything from PennyPincher McScroogeFace me is a feat worthy of song.

Thank you. I mean it. If I've been here since June of '10, that's $283/28 months, or about $10.11 a month.
That's cheaper than most MMOs.
And this game is, like, way more fun than World of Warcraft or some shit.

Anyway, an idea came up in Banter and I'd like to reiterate it here: I would pay money for a Journal item in your bag that lets you reread/reexperience all of the quests in the game so far that the character is flagged as having completed. Perhaps it would cut the travel - for Maiko's Pan, etc - and just let you click on through, but I think it would be great being able to reread and explore the different options. Obviously, it wouldn't change how you 'actually' experienced it.

Maybe instead of a journal, it could be like a Memosphere? A chronosphere, except filled with memory. That might be a dumb idea. I dunno.

Replies:

Re: It's that time again - donation ideas thread.

Posted on: September 24 2012 @ 09:04 PM
By: Shiloh

Content:

I would pay money for a Journal item in your bag that lets you reread/reexperience all of the quests in the game so far that the character is flagged as having completed.

THIS. I would pay money for this yes please. I only recently got the bright idea (that I am sure other people figured out long ago) of keeping logs in gdocs of the stories. But I know, for instance, that I accidentally clicked through a couple of Rohit's conversation bits on the way from CC404 to NewHome, and I'd...yeah, I'd just love to be able to re-read all of those bits that are disintegrating in the tatters of my memory.

Posted on: September 24 2012 @ 09:25 PM
By: lowkey

Content:

First a suggestion for folks commenting in this thread -- make a difference! Don't tell me why my idea, or those of others, won't work -- tell us how they'll work *better*!

Random thought...the island operates on chance. Many players would like the chances of various events (e.g., breaches, or titan spawning) to shift...to happen more frequently, or less.

What if players could vote, for small amounts of SP, to actually affect (slightly) the probability of certain events? To prevent massive shifts, the impact of voting would need to be limited...and players would ideally be able to vote both for and against.

So...if there's a .02% likelihood during any real-world minute that an outpost breach might occur, allow votes to shift that likelihood through a range of .01% to .04% likelihood. Each vote could shift the 'needle' 1/1000th of that range. Impact could be immediate (more monsters spawn in the jungles?), or effect might only occur when votes reach a certain level. Individual players could be limited to, say, 5 votes per day, with impact of each vote lasting only 2 days...so the concerted efforts of multiple players would be needed to have a larger impact.

This is suggested as alternative to other ideas kicked around, such as ability to 'buy a breach'...effects here are less drastic, and more subject to vox populi than one cashiered player's actions.

Think the idea sucks? Maybe it does...how can it be *better*?

Posted on: September 24 2012 @ 09:42 PM
By: Nonners

Content:

We're chatting about all this in banter and I figure I should post here, too.

Firstly, I am totally for the idea of buying some sort of journal thing for the stories. After this latest batch with the Dancer and the Watcher... Oh goodness, I want to reread all of it. So yes, that would be amazing. Even if I had to re-travel to the places... That might be cool, like, re-immersing myself in the story.

Secondly, we're talking about Buddleia's idea of a vote on things for CMJ to work on for the game - bugs, new stories, features, whatever - and having a small fee in order to vote. This I think we were saying would either be say, a dollar per vote, or a vote per character (per new day or something?) no matter the donation amount. I am totally for this.

The way I see it, if I provided a list of things I kinda wanted to work on in the future, and had people vote it would give me an idea of what to prioritize. Which I think would be good. It'd give us a way to be involved in the Island-improvement-process, and give CMJ an idea of what we want. The only thing is that I'd think it should be clear that this was a suggestions thing, so CMJ could work on whatever he pleased and not be forced to work on what we wanted.... Just use it as a guide to the order things should be done in.

Also, my concern with this type thing is that players who dont have the means to donate wouldnt be able to be involved in this voting process were it donations based, and that makes me sad. I am lucky to have a pretty steady income and would be more than willing to contribute extra to a feature that allowed people who couldnt donate to vote anyway... Perhaps a feature that you can buy votes for people, or something? Or a pool of free votes people can use if they are a bit down and out? This would have to be sort of on the honor system (people who have the means, donate for a vote, otherwise use a free one), but I believe everyone who sticks around enough to want to vote are decent folks, so that shouldnt be a problem.

Posted on: September 24 2012 @ 11:02 PM

Content:

Quote by: Nonners

Also, my concern with this type thing is that players who dont have the means to donate wouldnt be able to be involved in this voting process were it donations based, and that makes me sad.

Agreed! I've played a couple of games where those players with a big bankroll completely ran the game...and that tended to both run off lower-income players, and (perhaps more importantly to the long-term viability of the game) dissuade newer players from sticking around and getting sufficiently involved that they were motivated to contribute financially.

On top of that...in those games, when I decided to invest in a higher-level paid option, the game often got to be too easy...and, as a result, boring.

So...when considering paid options, it's definitely good to watch that they don't exclude free-to-play and new players, or make the game too easy. Better to make them *fun*...and repeatable.

Chronospheres are a perfect example -- more game play, they stick around, and you can buy more and more as the whim hits...without taking away the need to feed effort and creativity into game play. What else can we come up with along those lines?

Posted on: September 24 2012 @ 11:10 PM
By: Pinrut

Content:

I'll do my best to keep this short. Oh, who am I trying to kid, I'll drag this on so long that no one reads it all! I will however try to organize it in such a way that it's easy to skim through. This will be a list of all the strange little things I think should be added to the island. But, as the topic of this is for donation items, they'll be skewed in such a way to make people pay for them. As well as a few other, more nonsensical ideas to just get money.

The set up will be: 1) The name I make up off the top of my head,
2) the cost I make up off the top of my head, 3) the effect that I've put moderate thought into, 4) why I believe this is necessary, and 5) some random fifth thing.

1) Voice in a Box
The same as a permanent changer.
A one time use item, that [b]can[/b] be traded, which allows the user the ability to [u]underline[/u], [b]bold[/b] or cross out words that appear in their story/banter posts.
I'd say this necessary purely on an OCD agenda. It would be 'cool' to be able to put emphases on certain words in more ways than just italicizing them or changing their colors. Generally, just more freedom with the text.
Some other fifth thing.

2) Prismatic Osculatior
About the same as a one time changer, or a permanent changer depending on which one you want.
A one time use, or infinite use, item that allows you to change the colors in your title (or name if you've a really long one). This would be separate from the actual title changer or name coloriser so that you won't need to worry about keeping both the title and colors within the character limit.
It's necessary because awesome can not be contained by limits.
Some other fifth thing.

3) Best in Show
same as a temporary or permanent changer.
A temporary or permanent changer that lets you change the mount you're riding. Like a race changer, but for your mount. Wouldn't change your buff or the messages you get, just what the mount is called.
Because some guys just want to drive a delorean at 88mph.
Some other fifth thing.

4) Don't Scratch the Paint
same as a temporary or permanent changer.
A temporary or permanent changer that lets you change the color of the name and mount you're riding without being counted in the character limit of either the name or mount changer.
Because if I payed to change my own name and title colors, I'll damn well pay to paint my zombie donkey green.
Thought I'd put something else here, didn't you?

5) Dear Dia- Journal!
Ten bucks.
An item holder, much like the Card Case and Lodge Bag, only a Book. It would hold Chapters rather than items, though you could probably fit a ribbon or something in as a bookmark. This can be traded, sure.
To hold all the chapters in one convenient place.
Well I wrote something different here too!

6) Chapter One: How it all Began
A dollar each.
A log of each in game story or quest, numerically ordered in terms of how they appear in game. Each log would be a separate item and thus cost a dollar each. Since they're just paper, it would be hard to carry them safely in your backpack, so they'd weight more if not put into the Journal. You'll have to go through the quest before being allowed to buy the log.
Because sometimes you just want to relive the good old days.
To make sense of it though, perhaps it's less of you buying the logs, as it is you're buying the paper and ink to write them down yourself. As for events that used to be around but no longer are, or stories that are part of the lore but were never put in game, you can buy those too, but it would be more like you wrote down rumors. Or tales told by crazed hobos. Or, for the stuff in the museum, just copied them. Hell, maybe you could also record your Dan quests in there. You know, hang on, this gives me another idea...

7) Player Stats
~$1.50
A Hall of Fame for your inventory. Personal like, to only hold your own records. Titan kills, hat size, record damage (taken/received), Dan quests (number completed and record of the actual quests), most eaten food, most drank drink. Highest Timed combat score.
Convenience, so you don't need to run around to different places to learn stuff about yourself, or have to dig through the HoF.
Not the most necessary idea, to be honest, but come on. This is a television show, a survival television show. Why wouldn't we all get baseball cards?

8) Cover Me!
$5.00
A permanent contract for the mercenaries. So they're always with you and stuff.
Why not?

9) Color Me!
the same as a temporary or permanent changer.
A changer to change the colors of the mercenary companions.
Seriously, why not?

10) Who Did I Hire Anyway?
Same as a temporary or permanent changer.
A changer to change the name of the hired Mercenary.
Because.

11) What Did I Hire?!
Same as a temporary or permanent changer.
A changer to change what exactly you've hired. Mercenary? Nah, now it's an Imaginary Tacodog.
Mmmm, tacos.

12) Yellow People Eater
temporary or permanent changer.
Add color codes to your Race.
Seems like as good an addition as any...

13) Bribe the Failors!
double the cost of buying an instant newday.
Get off the Failboat without using a newday!
Because sometimes you're a midget, with 300% stamina, two hours till newday, and no more cage fights.
I suppose it can also be: Shoddy Lifesaver.

14) Titan Shrugged
$20.00
Spawn a barrel of Titans to surround the island!
Because with a Tyrannous and an Omega floating around, there's never enough titans to go around.
Maybe: Rise of the Titans? or would that be copyright infringement?

15) To The Watcher We Beseech!
$5.00
Instantly save a breached outpost ONCE. Island wide, can only be used once every day (not newday).
Because sometimes you want a 99% chance of a slice of cake, but don't have the power to get to the front of the line.
She's a busy lady after all, and can't save our butts all the time.

16) We All Wear Masks.
the cost of a permanent changer for a single use, or the price of a selection box for the permanent version.
Works like a switch. When on, the name you have is hidden. Not just color code M hidden, but just not there. When off, your name returns to being visible. It wouldn't change the link to your bio. Just how it looks in posts.
Would make it smoother to have your character be a whole new character without needing to make an alt.
Granted, this can easily be abused, and thus may not be possible, or may need to be restricted like normal name choosing is restricted.

17) Relocate.
$20.00
An item that lets you change where your (as in you OWN them) places are located. Or demolish some of them and instantly move the materials to another of your Places.
Say the squares around Kitt are too busy for your liking, buy this and you can move shop over near Ace. Or, say you've already got a place near Ace, you can bulldoze or place by Kitt, and all the building materials inside and used will be dropped in a Lodge box in your inventory so you can move them.
It could help clean up the map a bit...

18) Tickle Me Pink
Same as a changer.
Adding a color code or two to your alterism modifiers, so that when you use them, the colors change to yours.
Because if I'd spend money on it, someone else probably would too.
Another idea could be: Paint the Town Red, and using it could change the default text of an outpost or the common grounds. Food for thought I guess.

Bored now, so I think that'll do it for my ideas. Expand on them, consider them, disregard them, insult them or otherwise at your own leisure.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 03:41 AM
By: Pinrut

Content:

Quote by: lowkey

So...when considering paid options, it's definitely good to watch that they don't exclude free-to-play and new players, or make the game too easy. Better to make them *fun*...and repeatable.

Chronospheres are a perfect example -- more game play, they stick around, and you can buy more and more as the whim hits...without taking away the need to feed effort and creativity into game play. What else can we come up with along those lines?

This raises a good point, but one that mildly distresses me.

In looking through the Lodge, I've noticed that the only items that really can be purchased again are Chronospheres (which as you mentioned don't change the game for anyone else), Alterism Modifiers (that make the game better for everyone), and Cookies (which can easily be given to others to make the game better.)

Now, yes. Items like the Health Insurance, and the Boxes of stuff can always be repurchased, but those help only the buyer really. And yes, most items payed for in the Lodge can be gifted to others as the whim hits, but it's over all less likely that someone will donate to get an item just to give to someone else.

(By less likely, I mean that most people who've given lodge stuff to others have either already had SP just sitting around, or had items gathering dust. I've seen maybe three occasions when someone gave money just to buy something for someone else, and even then, two of those times the people were already going to put money in to buy stuff for themselves.)

Alright, so that's a lot of black text there... The point I'm trying to bring up is that a lot of items that exist just aren't going to be bought a second time. Who would by a single for themselves if they already have a permanent changer? And any more items that would consistently be purchased would easily skew the game to the point where winning is just chucking money into the system.

Now, an easy way to fix a bit of this would be to get rid of all the permanent changers. Buuuut... that would irritate a lot of people I think. So I'm not advocating that.
Neither am I advocating that thinking up new ways to get the island some revenue is pointless, nor that donations shouldn't receive something in return.

Perhaps, rather then yet another buff or more vanity items, we get more merchandise? Stuffed Spiderkitties... more posters of different Eboy items... An audio track of the Newhome Song? Triple Hedgehog keychain... ummm... Bio Medal awards but like... real? Maybe in button form? Key chains of the stuff you need to collect for Stern's museum quest? Or... or! Small keychains of those old race identifiers! Or Eye-con buttons! I know I want an Eye-Con badge.

Or perhaps create a new monster that stalks the world map, but stronger than a Titan, only showing up after X amount of dollars have been put into the hat?

Hell, what if you could just chew on your SP, where one point = 1% stamina? (Yeah, I'm sort of contradicting my self with this, so... how about you regain health or something instead? Could be useful in a pinch if you can do it during combat. Still contradictory though.)

My god.... what if you could buy a gun from the Lodge, that lasted a single DK.... that fired your cobblestones as ammo! It would work like.... maybe a cat launcher, and would have as many rounds of ammo buff as you had cobblestones!

On the topic of cobblestones.... what if you could use them as normal stones in Place building? Just... like... fifteen or so of them would count as a single actual stone?

Granted... that is probably the whole point. If you donate, you're given better treatment game wise then if you don't. Maybe that's for the best, and maybe it isn't, but if you remove all the buffs you can buy, you're left with just changers. And once you buy yourself a permanent changer, the chances of you buying another is very low. That's fine though, I think, with a text game there really is only so much customization you can buy... so giving buffs is completely understandable.

Having an award at the end of X amount of time for whoever donated the most might be a bit too far...

I'm not against island wide buffs to be sold in the Lodge, I just feel like if that were an option, some people just wouldn't buy them in the hopes some other people did!

Like an island wide req multiplier, cookie buff.... shit man, an Island wide cig handout.

Increased chances of SOMETHING IMPROBABLE happening or getting to brawl with the Magpie or GTM!

Maybe... (stay with me on this one) you can like... buy one of each food... but not eat it. Then take them all... and put them into a burrito... and then eat the burrito with a gargle to wash it down... and be able to kill the drive with the Nightmare's corpse! (this is a joke)

Anyhow... that's enough out of me. Apologies for this not being in a nice format this time. It's really more of a babbling rant of nonsense than an actual idea stream. But maybe someone smarter than I can take something away from this horrid jumble and sow the seeds to the grand daddy of all ideas.

Here's to hoping!

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 05:36 AM
By: CavemanJoe

Content:

Okay, so this notebook idea.

I love it, and I'm gonna make it happen. It means rewriting a lot of the stories - but it means rewriting them in a good way, separating out the logic from the writing, and that's something I should have been doing all along anyway.

I'm also toying with the idea of offering Early Passes, so that when future plot content is revealed, players can get to see it a week early for, say, a dollar.

The thing is, lads, when I make a new Hunter's Lodge thing - say, the Super Chronosphere - then I can see people buying it straight away, and I can say "Yes, it is good that I have done this, I will be able to buy health insurance and such." When I put out a new plot point, I don't get that positive feedback. This will encourage me to write more, which I think we can all agree is a good thing.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 06:16 AM

Content:

And so, you might be wondering... how did we get into this situation, how come CMJ can't pay his rent.

Well, in the interests of full disclosure, this is how it happened.

In May, we were doing okay. The tax bill had been a real stinger, but we'd recouped a pretty good chunk of it through your generous donations. Not all of it, you understand - not even half of it. But we were paying it off month by month, and it was manageable.

Then my nan died, and I had to get back to England for the funeral. You remember the MotD, you remember how much it cost - this was during the Queen's jubilee celebrations, with the Olympics just around the corner, so plane tickets for me and Emily were three thousand bucks and change. With the tax bill and the plane tickets, we pretty much exhausted the last of our savings even with your donations, and we had to cut off advertising for the Island.

Now, let's talk about advertising. How it works is that I put a hundred bucks into Project Wonderful, and then a month later I have fifty to two hundred bucks back. It fluctuates up and down a lot, and those are just averages, but that's how it works as a general rule, and as you can see over time the odds are squarely in my favour.

You're correct in thinking that mathematically, this is a money-making machine - money goes in, and a little while later money*1.5 comes out. That is indeed how it works - in a vacuum. Unfortunately Improbable Island doesn't exist in a vacuum, and is subject to external influences - like the churn rate.

Churn is what happens when people come and go naturally. Someone new signs up, someone old drops out, it's normal and to be expected - no game can hold someone's attention forever, and nor should it (the only game I still play now that I played ten years ago (hell, fifteen now, probably) is Pro Pinball: Timeshock, and you can buy it on gog.com for like a fiver, and you should totally buy it on gog.com for like a fiver).

Without a certain minimum level of advertising going on, the Island's numbers dwindle, and income drops sharply. People don't tell their friends about this game - they have their own wee world in here, with their own roleplaying going on, and maybe they don't want their friends to know the sorts of things they get up to. That ain't a measure of people not having fun - going by the numbers, the people who are the most active, the most engaged, are the people who are the least likely to refer someone else to the game. We don't get advertising through word-of-mouth, we have to advertise and spend money.

The other element stopping this place from being a magical money-generating device is the fact that there has to be some money to put in it in the first place. It's all very well saying "Well, if I put a thousand dollars in, in a month I'll have fifteen hundred!" but you've got to remember that during that month you will not have that thousand dollars, and you need it so that you can eat.

So when I stop advertising, money doesn't stop coming in straight away - the money in my pocket goes up. But then it comes down again, and it keeps going down for a while. When I tell Project Wonderful "Stop," what I'm doing there is I'm borrowing money from Future Dan.

I'm in this mess now because after the sudden massive expense in May, it was two months before I could afford to put even ten bucks a day into advertising again. That's the longest we've ever been without advertising, and now we're paying for it - I'm working long hours for less than minimum wage, and I've got a head full of big red dollar signs, and having a head full of big red dollar signs means I can't have a head full of story, because story is for the long-term and damn it I just need cash right now and you can't write a decent story when you're this worried.

When you're this worried, when the situation is this dire, all you can think about is the short term, and you do things like massive bundle deals that will hurt you in the long run, and adverts that will discourage new players from donating but earn you five bucks a day right now. You make decisions that would be stupid, were they not so necessary.

Working on the Island is a survival thing for me, now, not an artistic thing. That sucks, big-time.

I've been trying to mitigate things somewhat by making a shitload of ads and A/B testing them so I can make my ten bucks a day go further and get more players for it, but it's gonna be a while before we get a clear idea of which ads worked out the best. Tomorrow I'm gonna be looking for a 9-5, and that means Bad Things for the Island, less time to work on it.

Every month so far since June has been the worst month since 2009. Every month has broken the record for not-earning-any-money, and it looks like September will break the record for worst-month-since-Season-One. Put simply - and I say this with no desire to cause undue alarm or be overly dramatic, but just because it's true and I think you ought to know so that maybe we can get some ideas on how to stop it - Improbable Island is dying. It will take a while for it to go into a full-on downward spiral until it can't pay its server bill anymore, but if these trends continue, if I don't think of some way to pull up, we're looking at an inevitable nosedive that will be very hard, perhaps impossible, to get out of.

So, uh. That's where we are. We're at Kickstarter-for-five-grand-to-keep-the-Island-alive-another-year territory.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 03:56 PM
By: Escemfer

Content:

I think some good ideas have come up in the past that haven't been implemented. A one-time-only Name Changer would, I think, be pretty popular, as would Extra Sex Change passes for Paprika's (as I know a lot of people have hit their limit). Or perhaps even an item like the one-shot/permanent race changers to allow players to change their character's gender the way they can change everything else. I think that many people would be interested in some kind of Improbability Point Reset Token, which could just be a one-time-only item, or an item with a price that scales according to number of DKs from a preset lower to upper limit? A race changer for your mount would also be cool; not a lot of people use the Collar item, as I understand, but I think many more would use an item that lets them turn their Budget Horse into a Fire-Breathing Kangaroo.

It might also be cool to have an item that allows players to set a default text color for their comments in the chatspaces.

I know the silly idea of Tents was kicked around long, long ago; that might be a cool donator feature, but would likely be way more trouble than it's worth as a money-gathering measure.

Extra carrying capacity for C&Cs or building supplies, maybe in the form of a mercenary/sidekick, which can be rented for one Game Day only for the cost of some SP.

Wedding rings buyable from the Hunter's Lodge might be popular amongst the roleplay-only crowd, as the wedding ring price is hard to achieve for a new player or someone with few DKs (speaking from experience).

Custom tattoos or jewelry would be cool, but those might be better as a cig-sink item the way tattoos and jewelry currently are.

This might be a game-breaking sort of idea, but what about a once-per-DK item, rather expensive, that lets you change your in-game race? I remember hating my Mutant and Robot runs so much that it was a real effort to even play long enough to DK out of it. I don't know, though, if there would be enough interest in this item.

I think Bug Fix Sponsoring would be a really cool idea. We already have a list of bugs, in the Petitions system, and if players could sort of vote on the priority for those, then I think that gives CMJ a better idea of what matters to the players. An SP-based bug fix priority system doesn't seem, to me, like it would be damaging, or putting less monied players at a disadvantage, because bugfixes improve the same game we're all playing. If such a system would help CMJ find which out of hundreds of bugs to prioritize, then everyone wins. The game's more polished, works better, and CMJ gets a little more cash in the pocket.

Also, I am super excited that you are going to do the Quest Log thing, CMJ. That will be really awesome. Here's hoping the financial situation starts looking up.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 04:26 PM
By: Cherriki+Ten

Content:

Quote by: Pinrut

16) We All Wear Masks.
the cost of a permanent changer for a single use, or the price of a selection box for the permanent version.
Works like a switch. When on, the name you have is hidden. Not just color code M hidden, but just not there. When off, your name returns to being visible. It wouldn't change the link to your bio. Just how it looks in posts.
Would make it smoother to have your character be a whole new character without needing to make an alt.
Granted, this can easily be abused, and thus may not be possible, or may need to be restricted like normal name choosing is restricted.

I like most of the ideas you came up with but I think hiding your name would remove the need for special comments which I would think is a pretty decent money maker for the island, so I am not so sure about this one.

I have a couple ideas myself.

One: I think maybe it would be nice to have a bag that you can purchase through the hunter's lodge which has no stamina impact on your travel. But so that it isn't the immediate go to for people, give it three or four slots.

Or how about even a "cooler" to hold you herbs so they don't take up space in your bag. Could be an idea.

Two: I don't know how possible this would be, but maybe advanced colours that you can purchase. Make it like a colouring box and it gives you a wider selection of colours. Again, though, I don''t know if this would be possible.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 04:53 PM

Content:

A few more thoughts (some already shared in banter):

-- Limited-edition mementoes: These would be available for purchase only for a month or two, and new ones would come available every month or two. Could be simple cool mementoes...or could confer, at greater SP cost, some special benefit (like a once-a-calendar-day/week stam/attack/def boost, req multiplier, or the like). The simple ones could be relatively inexpensive, and fun to collect...any special benefit ones would be considerably more expensive.

-- Consider adjusting the text around the Paypal link that appears throughout the island -- the comment about first ensuring that you're logged in might leave some thinking they have to log in to paypal...and donations when logged in there just got more challenging. Maybe even specifically add a note that one not need be a Paypal member to use the service -- just have a credit/debit card. Also, perhaps emphasize the site admin link over the author one still more.

And above all, what do we need MOST to increase revenue for the island -- even more than neat new revenue-generating ideas? NEW MEMBERS. Especially as players seem more cash-strapped, fewer may be able to pitch in greater amounts at an individual level...so widening the player base becomes that much more important. So...

-- Membership drive: Yes, it's possible to gain SP by referring other players...but how many players know this? What other motivations can there be to get more referrals? How about having a membership drive -- broad announcements about the referral feature, coupled with a contest to see who can get the most valid referrals in a single month? Repeated mentions of the referral option in MoTD and elsewhere might help, too, to keep that top-of-mind -- if we can all get another player or two here by word of mouth, that's benefit to everyone without more advertising cost.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 04:57 PM

Content:

...oh, and...periodic reminders of some of the nifty things available in the Lodge might be helpful, too. Not a flood...but an occasional "Did you know?" announcement. New players, especially, may not be aware of ability to buy ciggies, quills...or mementos, among other things. Took me a while to find 'em...I might not be the only slow one in the bunch. Wink

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 05:02 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

Quote by: Pinrut

17) Relocate.
$20.00
An item that lets you change where your (as in you OWN them) places are located. Or demolish some of them and instantly move the materials to another of your Places.
Say the squares around Kitt are too busy for your liking, buy this and you can move shop over near Ace. Or, say you've already got a place near Ace, you can bulldoze or place by Kitt, and all the building materials inside and used will be dropped in a Lodge box in your inventory so you can move them.
It could help clean up the map a bit...

This is a very good idea! Well -- relocating a Place is technically very easy. I'm not sure I'd like to see the 'bulldoze' option in the game. The real investment in a Place isn't the materials; those are very easy to come by now, what with SuperDays and Brews and Creator Bundles. It's the writing, and sometimes the programming. (If you really want your place demolished, I can do it for you, though you won't recover any materials.)

But being able to hire Improbable House Movers* to pick up an already-built Place and put it on a vacant lot somewhere else... that would be a very cool item to have in the game. I think you've priced it exactly right.

Along those same lines... The House Movers could offer extra-cost options that would allow you to relocate an existing building to stilts over swamplands ($5 extra), or even onto floats over shallow water ($10 extra).
--
* Edited to add: The firm needs a better name. Are they Jokers? Structural Space-Time Relocators, Inc. ? Or Midgets -- MOV UR CRIB.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 05:27 PM
By: Ada

Content:

Quote by: CavemanJoe

I've been trying to mitigate things somewhat by making a shitload of ads and A/B testing them so I can make my ten bucks a day go further and get more players for it, but it's gonna be a while before we get a clear idea of which ads worked out the best. Tomorrow I'm gonna be looking for a 9-5, and that means Bad Things for the Island, less time to work on it.

I'm not convinced this is a Bad Thing for the Island, actually.
You talk about how it's become a survival thing for you, not an artistic thing - and surely that is worse than slow updates? Yes, you'll have less time to work on the Island if you have a full-time job, but you'll have more freedom with it, and you'll be able to afford advertising on Project Wonderful, because our donations will be able to go to that instead of "oh god what is the cheapest thing in the supermarket". You having more financial freedom is a positive thing for the Island, and - I think - more important than us getting overhauls like the new food system, and so on. It seems like it would mean less stress for you, too - also a good thing.
In short: do what you gotta do. We're happy the Island exists, and I don't think you'll find too many people complaining about slow pace of updates (not more than you have now, anyway) when you're busy working a full-time job to keep the place alive.

As far as ideas go, I have to say I think all of Escemfer's are excellent, and Sessine's idea about moving dwellings to swamp or water - with all the people who want to be able to build on water, surely someone would throw some money at you for that?

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 05:28 PM

Content:

Quote by: Count+Sessine

Along those same lines... The House Movers could offer extra-cost options that would allow you to relocate an existing building to stilts over swamplands ($5 extra), or even onto floats over shallow water ($10 extra).

Oh goodness, yes. That would be super cool. I'm sure a lot of people would pay for features like that... besides, who wouldnt want a castle in the lake, or some such dwelling? Had I the time, I think that would cause me to seriously consider building a whole new dwelling just to eventually move it somewhere like that, haha.

But just in general about this idea, even without the swamp or water options, I think this is a good idea. I know that I sometimes wish I chose a different square for my dwelling, though it is in a nice place, and I'm sure plenty of people wish this too.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 05:50 PM

Content:

Would I pay $30 to move my houseboat onto the actual lake? Fuck yes. Would I regret it? Maybe. Until I got to revel in my houseboat being on the lake where it belongs, awww yessss.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 06:18 PM
By: rbead

Content:

Mess all that, here's an entirely new something for your brain to munch on, if you haven't thought of it already (hell, you probably have, but here goes anyway--): Would it be possible to use BOINC to do all the server's processing work?

This is me talking as someone who has no idea how any of this works, of course. And I do acknowledge the whole thing about downloading projects... I'm thinking something more along the lines of torrents, probably, here.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 06:36 PM

Content:

Quote by: rbead

Mess all that, here's an entirely new something for your brain to munch on, if you haven't thought of it already (hell, you probably have, but here goes anyway--): Would it be possible to use BOINC to do all the server's processing work?

This is me talking as someone who has no idea how any of this works, of course. And I do acknowledge the whole thing about downloading projects... I'm thinking something more along the lines of torrents, probably, here.

Nope!

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 06:40 PM

Content:

-- Limited-edition mementoes: These would be available for purchase only for a month or two, and new ones would come available every month or two. Could be simple cool mementoes...or could confer, at greater SP cost, some special benefit (like a once-a-calendar-day/week stam/attack/def boost, req multiplier, or the like). The simple ones could be relatively inexpensive, and fun to collect...any special benefit ones would be considerably more expensive.

I really like this. To be clear, you're not talking about the current player-created mementos, right? You're talking about using the same mechanism to offer game-created limited-edition souvenirs.

That is a fantastic idea. I would have to buy every single one.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 07:38 PM

Content:

-- Limited-edition mementos: These would be available for purchase only for a month or two, and new ones would come available every month or two. Could be simple cool mementos...or could confer, at greater SP cost, some special benefit (like a once-a-calendar-day/week stam/attack/def boost, req multiplier, or the like). The simple ones could be relatively inexpensive, and fun to collect...any special benefit ones would be considerably more expensive.

I really like this. To be clear, you're not talking about the current player-created mementos, right? You're talking about using the same mechanism to offer game-created limited-edition souvenirs.

That is a fantastic idea. I would have to buy every single one.

Exactly -- thanks for clarifying!

Not user-generated mementos, but Joe-generated ones, each one unique and available for a limited time only...possibly with a bit of back-story in remembrance of then-current Island events, or sheer random cleverness or lunacy. The greater the flavor, the greater the savor...and rather addictive for us collector types.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 08:06 PM
By: LydiaDefountain

Content:

I have all the perm changer but mount... but.. you know what I'd pay another 40 some bucks for?

A super all in one changer ~ one that you use and can change some or all of the weapon, title, race, armor, colours whatever in one go without using each item and being bounced back to the map/outpost and having to fish through the inventory for the next item.. it would make doing changes soooo much easier and for that I'd pay for all my perma stuff again for that.

One time all in one changers ~ Like the super one but a one time only item to change all your values in one go without a bunch of redirects and searching but for about $6 for those who can only afford the smaller donations at a time.

Paint can/Colour that item! ~ For 25-75 sp being able to colour beds or beacons... those links at the default link colour have been bothering me as I can colour my doors, my room names, my pages.. but I cannot colour my hammock or strange mechanical out of place object.. (if you knew dark you'd know how odd it is that you can find a beacon at her place) and that messes up my mogo on my links.. and I'm a bit OCD on trying to make the page links/navigation look streamlined and cohesive..

Oh the mount race changer would be awesome and might get me to rp my mount more.

Again I'd like to possibly bring up the $10 uber mould idea that is for places only, untradable items able to be pluged into a place and not have to be refilled or remoulded.. for people who like to give out tangable items in places.. that got mentioned in a place thread.. It would be awesome.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 08:08 PM
By: Maniak

Content:

Quote by: Escemfer

It might also be cool to have an item that allows players to set a default text color for their comments in the chatspaces.

Do you mean /chatcol and /talkcol? The latter of which is already site-supporter only feature.

I think Bug Fix Sponsoring would be a really cool idea. We already have a list of bugs, in the Petitions system, and if players could sort of vote on the priority for those, then I think that gives CMJ a better idea of what matters to the players. An SP-based bug fix priority system doesn't seem, to me, like it would be damaging, or putting less monied players at a disadvantage, because bugfixes improve the same game we're all playing. If such a system would help CMJ find which out of hundreds of bugs to prioritize, then everyone wins. The game's more polished, works better, and CMJ gets a little more cash in the pocket.

Yes! That long list of unfixed bugs always left a bad impression on me, especially since some of those bugs have been on that list since the list was introduced, November 2011.

I also like the idea of Limited-edition mementoes. Short snippets of text written by CMJ? Sign me up.

Quote by: Cherriki Ten

Two: I don't know how possible this would be, but maybe advanced colours that you can purchase. Make it like a colouring box and it gives you a wider selection of colours. Again, though, I don''t know if this would be possible.

I've requested that one before too, and I still would like it. Because, on my colour calibrated screen, the various shades of black ( `0 `1 `~ `) `!`q `j ) just look black to me. Humans are far more suited to distinguish between shades of red and green.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 08:12 PM

Content:

Quote by: Maniak

Do you mean /chatcol and /talkcol? The latter of which is already site-supporter only feature.

I think she meant the default color of emotes, which I agree would be nice.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 08:23 PM
By: Trowa

Content:

Just chucking my two bits in to support the ideas of a place relocator item/service, mount race changer (ugh, Trowa's had that zombie donkey following him around and sleeping in other people's bedrooms!), and a super-all-in-one changer.

Ooo, what about a physical description changer you can use anywhere on the Island you have access to your inventory? For those scenes way out of the way when your character gets gooey-fied or something and you don't want to march back to an outpost to make the swap? (Or use an OST then have to march back because you forgot to chuck four cigs into the place beacon if it even has one?) ...okay, not a serious problem, but these things happen.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 08:37 PM
By: Xorbius

Content:

Ok, I don't know if this is doable or practical, but how about a donation-to-win-this-jungle-fight-now button ? For those times when you're carrying a vast sack of req and get ambushed or whatever. And anyone who wants to spend a fortune getting a high ranking character can happily do so - the fun parts of the game aren't about who has the most DKs...?

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:13 PM
By: warownslife

Content:

Donation ideas? well, it seems to me, you need more people. But you don't have the money to advertise. So you could either make more money or spend less money. Have you considered a kickstarter? But anyway, something cool I'd like to pay money for is 14) Titan Shrugged, 13) Bribe the Failors!, and some new features would be cool. like a max level increase, but thats just me.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:14 PM

Content:

Quote by: LydiaDefountain

I have all the perm changer but mount... but.. you know what I'd pay another 40 some bucks for?

A super all in one changer ~ one that you use and can change some or all of the weapon, title, race, armor, colours whatever in one go without using each item and being bounced back to the map/outpost and having to fish through the inventory for the next item.. it would make doing changes soooo much easier and for that I'd pay for all my perma stuff again for that.

The only problem with this item is:

When you're this worried, when the situation is this dire, all you can think about is the short term, and you do things like massive bundle deals that will hurt you in the long run, and adverts that will discourage new players from donating but earn you five bucks a day right now. You make decisions that would be stupid, were they not so necessary.

It would be an awesome quick fix but something like that would just hurt CMJ in the long run

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:20 PM
By: Harris

Content:

Fuckbaskets.

That's rough news indeed. You Sir, have the next dollars I get.

To my fellow players:

Be kind; be gentle. Consider things as carefully as you can. Man's job is on the line, and remember, asking for Hunter's Lodge items is literally asking for incentives to continuing to allow him to do this. Do suggest them, as long as the suggestion box has been opened by CMJ or the Mods, but be careful to only do that.

This is our beloved playground, and his labor of love. We (yes, myself included) need to keep that firmly in mind.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:25 PM
By: Wongo+the+Sane

Content:

Someone posted the idea of selling an Audio Track of the New Home song, which reminded me that I've long wanted to own some of the II themed music in the gallery (particularly 'Me and Horatio Entwhistle' & 'What do you do with the Drunken Watcher?' http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/mediagallery/album.php?aid=4&sort=0&page=3 ).
Are you still able to contact some/all of the guys who posted these? Is this doable?

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:27 PM

Content:

I love it, and I'm gonna make it happen. It means rewriting a lot of the stories - but it means rewriting them in a good way, separating out the logic from the writing, and that's something I should have been doing all along anyway.

I'm also toying with the idea of offering Early Passes, so that when future plot content is revealed, players can get to see it a week early for, say, a dollar.

YES. Except-

Please charge us more than a dollar for the Early Passes. We'd pay a hell of a lot more than that, but if you want to keep it on the cheap, I'd make it no less than a fiver. Why so much higher? The frequency at which the story updates come out just reallly does not seem to me like charging us a dollar for an early pass -every time!- would be at all profitable.

Same thing for the Journal, only more so. PLEASE, tell me it's $20! I'll pay!

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:28 PM

Content:

Free advertising ? Why not everyone with a FB account say how fab this place is ? It might get one or two noobs in

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:43 PM

Content:

Quote by: Harris

YES. Except-

Please charge us more than a dollar for the Early Passes. We'd pay a hell of a lot more than that, but if you want to keep it on the cheap, I'd make it no less than a fiver. Why so much higher? The frequency at which the story updates come out just reallly does not seem to me like charging us a dollar for an early pass -every time!- would be at all profitable.

Same thing for the Journal, only more so. PLEASE, tell me it's $20! I'll pay!

I second this, absolutely. For something this awesome, I have no problem paying more than a single, measly dollar. In fact, I insist upon it! Take them! Take all my measly dollars!

A lot of the ideas that have been voiced - though they're something really awesome or something that would make things a lot more fun - are one time buys or things you dont buy too often, while I've been assuming we're trying to find ways of starting a steadier income. This, I think, could very well do that. I feel most people will want the journal and will either have no problem with or deal with it being a bit more expensive just for being able to have it... Which is a one time buy, again, of course... But then the Early passes plus paying for stories will keep at least a bit of money coming in. This is all assuming that the Early Pass just allows you to trigger the story earlier than if you didnt have it, but doesnt add it to your journal. So, each time a story comes out, people will buy Early Passes to read it, and then want to continue their journal and will probably buy the chapter at some point afterwards. This is also good because it doesnt exclude lower-income players, as they can still access and read all the stories. We'll just have to make sure not to give out spoilers!

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:49 PM

Content:

Quote by: Cherriki+Ten

The only problem with this item is:

It would be an awesome quick fix but something like that would just hurt CMJ in the long run

Well the thing is It's the same price as the normal changers.. maybe $50 if you include the mount.. lets see

All deluxe-
Title changer -595 sp
Weapon mod - 595 sp
Armor mod - 595 sp
Cunning disguise - 595 sp
Colour changer - 595 sp
Mount changer - 595 sp
picture frame - 595 sp

so for $42-45 it is the same cost as the normal prema items which is why I didn't think it would be as hard on the long run..

The one time at $6 abouts is the same as the 75 sp * 7 plus a bit for convenience again so it is the same cost as if someone baught every one time use item but easier to use.

Was what I was thinking anyway.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 09:52 PM
By: Trowa

Content:

Oh damn, I knew I forgot something. Yes on the Journal! Of course! Mr. Green I only didn't say something because CMJ already said he's doing it. Yes, that's exactly it. >.>

I wonder if it'll include all the various options? What happened if I picked tails? Or the red ball? Augh! I must know!

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 10:35 PM

Content:

I second this, absolutely. For something this awesome, I have no problem paying more than a single, measly dollar. In fact, I insist upon it! Take them! Take all my measly dollars!

A lot of the ideas that have been voiced - though they're something really awesome or something that would make things a lot more fun - are one time buys or things you dont buy too often, while I've been assuming we're trying to find ways of starting a steadier income. This, I think, could very well do that. I feel most people will want the journal and will either have no problem with or deal with it being a bit more expensive just for being able to have it... Which is a one time buy, again, of course... But then the Early passes plus paying for stories will keep at least a bit of money coming in. This is all assuming that the Early Pass just allows you to trigger the story earlier than if you didnt have it, but doesnt add it to your journal. So, each time a story comes out, people will buy Early Passes to read it, and then want to continue their journal and will probably buy the chapter at some point afterwards. This is also good because it doesnt exclude lower-income players, as they can still access and read all the stories. We'll just have to make sure not to give out spoilers!

This is a "Newbie" who is very wise.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 11:09 PM
By: Buddleia

Content:

I'm in favour of lots of the ideas in this thread, and especially this one!

It was me who proposed this in Banter yesterday, but it's not all my own idea. It's been bouncing around a little on my chat list, the idea of sponsoring bugfixes or voting with donations. Now, the Known Bugs list is pretty long, and there are several which frequently irritate me (and other people too!). I would put cash down - half now, half when fixed, or whatever - if CMJ would work on particular bugs soon rather than doing whatever Adminny things he does which I don't know about (or don't find out about until they're done). While it's admirable of him to not want to charge money for fixing bugs, hell, half my donations nowdays are to say "thank you for fixing that bug" rather than "Want to buy that shiny". To me, a bug fix is a shiny that I would pay for. And it's a shiny which does not let me get unfair advantages over other players, or let me control the way the game and the Island is going; it's a shiny which everyone benefits from. Surely the bug fixes are going to happen eventually anyway? I don't see how paying to accelerate the fixes could be unfair to anyone or put anyone else at a disadvantage. Possibly it delays something else (stories or new features or whatever) which could have come out a few hours or days or weeks before then if he wasn't working on the bugs first, but I bet it doesn't stop them from happening. (And possibly it pisses off CMJ because then he'll feel like oh damn he has to work on that stupid thing because people gave him money. But, hey, it's not like this would be a binding contract where $1 donated = 1 hour of guaranteed Admin-attention time, it's more like "Hey, please will you look at this thing ahead of those other things, if you get the time? Thanks! Here is money!") I'm happy because the bug I wanted fixed gets fixed; other players are happy because any bug is fixed and ooh look the donations bar is giving them more stamina; CMJ is happy because he needs money.

Also, while we're brainstorming fundraiser ideas: the last thread about Hunter's Lodge stuff has plenty of interesting stuff in it.

Posted on: September 25 2012 @ 11:35 PM
By: Black+jacques

Content:

Where's my custom tattoos dammit

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 12:41 AM
By: Zefrieus

Content:

Hey, I'd make, donate, and mail off some illustrations if people wanted to buy 'em For the Good of the Island.
There are tons of artists on IC, I'm sure some would be game for a great big art sale.
I don't just mean commissions, although those too, of course.

Wouldn't somebody pay for hand-sewn grenades with little signs that say ZAP and BANG? I mean, I don't sew, but somebody's gotta. A sculpture of Rohit? mp3s of the NewHome song, performed by singing groups? An NPC pin-up calendar (Emily is great at being a pinup, Rohit is very, very bad at it). Even things only tangentially related to the game, such as Magpie-related jewelry, let's have a big drive to create and donate some.

I'm really thinking of how Regretsy does this all the time, it's called April's Army, people (especially those who already love regretsy) donate a lot of art/collectables/ridiculousness and sell it to each other, and all proceeds go to the awesome charity of the moment. They've raised oodles.

Let's have a big art sale and donate the proceeds to the game!
I know it's not as convenient as creating online art. But tangible stuff is just so satisfying, and it'd be a great way for all us starvin' artists to really contribute something of value.

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 12:55 AM

Content:

Well the thing is It's the same price as the normal changers.. maybe $50 if you include the mount.. lets see

All deluxe-
Title changer -595 sp
Weapon mod - 595 sp
Armor mod - 595 sp
Colour changer - 595 sp
Mount changer - 595 sp
picture frame - 595 sp

so for $42-45 it is the same cost as the normal prema items which is why I didn't think it would be as hard on the long run..

The one time at $6 abouts is the same as the 75 sp * 7 plus a bit for convenience again so it is the same cost as if someone baught every one time use item but easier to use.

**shakes stick at young whippersnappers**

Well back in my day you had to pay 1000 Supporter points for them fancy deluxe items.

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 02:08 AM

Content:

All deluxe-
Title changer -595 sp
Weapon mod - 595 sp
Armor mod - 595 sp
Colour changer - 595 sp
Mount changer - 595 sp
picture frame - 595 sp

**shakes stick at young whippersnappers**

Well back in my day you had to pay 1000 Supporter points for them fancy deluxe items.

Lol so about $70... hmm a bit pricy I'd might save up for it sure but that would really cut into me wanting to get another nice shinny pack of quills..

and who are you calling young :p I've been here and gone and back for a long long time :p

I would eventually be willing to pay for such a convenience though.. really honestly.. its a bit of a pain to use all my nice shinny perma changers I like so much... just.. it would take longer.. cause.. ya I'm a biiiit broke right now

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 02:41 AM

Content:

Lol so about $70... hmm a bit pricy I'd might save up for it sure but that would really cut into me wanting to get another nice shinny pack of quills..

and who are you calling young :p I've been here and gone and back for a long long time :p

I would eventually be willing to pay for such a convenience though.. really honestly.. its a bit of a pain to use all my nice shinny perma changers I like so much... just.. it would take longer.. cause.. ya I'm a biiiit broke right now

I think it would be nice if we could just have a separate section for deluxe items. You go into the hunter's lodge, use the item one time and then it opens up a space where you can select to use individual items, or a select all option. That way, y'know, if you want to change all deluxe item changeable features you can; or, if you have a Super Title Document, a Fancy Picture Frame, and an Extra-Cunning Weapon disguise (for example), but you only want to use the EXWD, then you can choose that option.

You may have said that already but eh! I wanted to say it too!

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 03:04 AM
By: Carter

Content:

I'm just going to stream out a bunch of ideas from the top of my head and see what sticks:

I'll try not to repeat anything that's been mentioned already:

1 - In the spirit of the old Camera Poke from the Failboat....The Cream Pie. For 50 Donator Points you can 'Cream a Contestant' and splut them in the face with a random variety....Chocolate, Vanilla, Cherry, Orange, Mint, and what the Hell...TITAN. Perhaps even include a Splut-O-Meter as a stat to show how many people a given contestant as 'Creamed'. It's a silly thing, but I'd plunk a fiver down for a small rack of cream pies, even if it were just to start a food fight with my buddies. :3 Perhaps even give a small stamina boost (+5% to +10%, perhaps?) for the trouble....it's a practical joke AND some nutrition!

2 - I was running an idea similar to this by Sessine the other night, and I think this might be a good one: Pinpoint Teleporter. The cost would be 100 Support Points, and the teleporter would work for one entire game day. It would act similar to the First Class Railroad Passes...and would bring up a world map...just click a square and WHEE...off you're whisked! This would be an excellent tool for Titan Hunters and long-distance builder types.

3 - Brownies! Chewier and tastier than cookies....a delight many island veterans will love! One brownie lasts for a game day, and provides 50% Stamina, +10% to Attack and Defense, and a +20% to your Req Earnings in Jungle Fights. For just 100 Support Points, you can get one of these delicious treats....a six-pack for 500! And for the true sweet tooths, a 24-Brownie Sweet Box for 1,500 Support Points....Each one MIGHT come with a surprise inside...just like the 20 and 50 packs of cookies. By the way, I was a sucker for those 100 Packs....:3

4 - Wildspice. Running short on Sneezeroot? Can't stand the smell of fresh Scroteweed? Are you just not getting to all the prime spice-picking location in time? Fear not, for The Jasmine Joker(tm) has you covered with their newest varietal: WILDSPICE! No, it doesn't sing bad pop songs, (well, it IS a Joker Creation so it MIGHT), it uses Grower Adaptationess to flavor itself to just the right flavor profile you need in order to fulfill an order of Unrepentant, for example. The best part is, you don't even need to think about using it! If you're short on a given ingredient, Wildspice will automatically take those otherwise vacant required slots! Just 100 Support Points buys you 20 Sprigs of this Wonder Flavor!

5 - Pub Games For Places! Can't get enough of 100 Mysteries? Are you enamored with Find The Brain? Then enjoy these pub classics in the privacy of your OWN HOME! Yes, they're expensive, but who doesn't want to be the first on their block to boast a Double or Git The Fook machine that DOESN'T smell of Midget Mung?!? These games are Limited Editions and once they're gone, they're GONE! Own a piece of the Island's Gaming Elite...starting at 2,000 Support Points!

6 - Ciggie Sucker - Works very similar to a Req Multiplier....for 199 Support Points, effectively DOUBLE your cigarette finds for the duration of a game day....the deluxe version, for 299 Support Points TRIPLES the find rate. Combine this with a Rank 6 or 7 Drive Run and you can afford a new Double Bed in no time!

Well, that's what I have so far....hope it all helps...

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 03:15 AM

Content:

I think it would be nice if we could just have a separate section for deluxe items. You go into the hunter's lodge, use the item one time and then it opens up a space where you can select to use individual items, or a select all option. That way, y'know, if you want to change all deluxe item changeable features you can; or, if you have a Super Title Document, a Fancy Picture Frame, and an Extra-Cunning Weapon disguise (for example), but you only want to use the EXWD, then you can choose that option.

You may have said that already but eh! I wanted to say it too!

Ya that was the idea of the super changer.. and the one time.. where you can pay a bit of a premium and change a few or all of the changeable options at once... or even a small fee 25 sp a go for the game to see/know which chagers one time or otherwise you have and let you go to a special room even stuck to an outpost to just use all the items you have already at once.. or something

I love the changers and I'd sooo pay extra even in small amounts for convenience of changing.. a change room for places.. I'd pay for a item like a beacon that would just let you access your lodge bag changer items, and profile link.. even have people newday to get to it if you must but it would be soo useful I'd pay a decent bit for one or more of them as a slot item..(you know.. once I have money again.. which may take a few months but it will happen!) I'd hide them about as wardrobes..hell it would let me have my character change her clothes more..

I'd pay for the simple conveniences of being able to use our dress up items easier... oh and I want a journal.. and the special momento idea.. even without a buff sounds cool.. but they would need some special thingy that would help keep fakes from being able to be made... like a slightly longer then max char distriptions...

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 03:32 AM

Content:

Quote by: Zefrieus

Hey, I'd make, donate, and mail off some illustrations if people wanted to buy 'em For the Good of the Island.
There are tons of artists on IC, I'm sure some would be game for a great big art sale.

Wouldn't somebody pay for hand-sewn grenades with little signs that say ZAP and BANG? I mean, I don't sew, but somebody's gotta. A sculpture of Rohit? mp3s of the NewHome song, performed by singing groups? An NPC pin-up calendar (Emily is great at being a pinup, Rohit is very, very bad at it). Even things only tangentially related to the game, such as Magpie-related jewelry, let's have a big drive to create and donate some.

I'm really thinking of how Regretsy does this all the time, it's called April's Army, people (especially those who already love regretsy) donate a lot of art/collectables/ridiculousness and sell it to each other, and all proceeds go to the awesome charity of the moment. They've raised oodles.

I know it's not as convenient as creating online art. But tangible stuff is just so satisfying, and it'd be a great way for all us starvin' artists to really contribute something of value.

YES. I would fucking LOVE THIS.

Skidge?
Nadya?
Ebenezer?
Zolotisty?
Shi?
Cherriki?
Rosemoo?
Anyone?

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 04:25 AM

Content:

I like these three a lot! Not only because they'd add to the game and make it just that much more fun, but also I can see people coming back and rebuying all of these - which is a good thing.

Quote by: Carter

1 - In the spirit of the old Camera Poke from the Failboat....The Cream Pie. For 50 Donator Points you can 'Cream a Contestant' and splut them in the face with a random variety....Chocolate, Vanilla, Cherry, Orange, Mint, and what the Hell...TITAN. Perhaps even include a Splut-O-Meter as a stat to show how many people a given contestant as 'Creamed'. It's a silly thing, but I'd plunk a fiver down for a small rack of cream pies, even if it were just to start a food fight with my buddies. :3 Perhaps even give a small stamina boost (+5% to +10%, perhaps?) for the trouble....it's a practical joke AND some nutrition!

I always sort of liked the idea of the camera poke, but never wanted to do it because it would take away stamina from whomever I poked... But perhaps the cream pie would give stamina to those it's thrown at? Is that what you mean? Because in that would make it just a silly, nice thing you could do for someone. Rather than "Dang it! So-n-so poked me, the jerk! Now I have less usable stamina and I really wanted to DK today!" *rubs sore bum and stalks off,* it's more like "Oh, haha, So-n-so sure got me! Hey, I might get to DK today with this little bit extra stamina! Nice!" *wipes cream pie off face.* I think I, personally, would have an "Aww, they were thinking of me~" reaction, and that's always nice. Also, might be a nice way to welcome new players >:3

2 - I was running an idea similar to this by Sessine the other night, and I think this might be a good one: Pinpoint Teleporter. The cost would be 100 Support Points, and the teleporter would work for one entire game day. It would act similar to the First Class Railroad Passes...and would bring up a world map...just click a square and WHEE...off you're whisked! This would be an excellent tool for Titan Hunters and long-distance builder types.

Pinpoint teleporter... I can see people snatching these up like crazy. It'd make not only building/transporting materials and finding/fighting Titans - as mentioned - easier, but also for when storying, you can go from say, New Home to your dwelling up between CC404 and Ace High in no time and dont have to worry about dying on the way. Perhaps, though, they could be a bit cheaper (25 or 50 SP) but one time use? Or perhaps two-way use, so you can get to wherever and back without having to use two (not restricted by game day, I suppose). Then were they giftable people would be more likely to pass them out the way we do cookies, letting a broader range of people use them. (Plus more would be bought, and you wouldnt feel like you're wasting a dollar if you only use it once or twice in the whole gameday.)

3 - Brownies! Chewier and tastier than cookies....a delight many island veterans will love! One brownie lasts for a game day, and provides 50% Stamina, +10% to Attack and Defense, and a +20% to your Req Earnings in Jungle Fights. For just 100 Support Points, you can get one of these delicious treats....a six-pack for 500! And for the true sweet tooths, a 24-Brownie Sweet Box for 1,500 Support Points....Each one MIGHT come with a surprise inside...just like the 20 and 50 packs of cookies. By the way, I was a sucker for those 100 Packs....:3

And brownies...This is nice because I know people use cookies to boost stamina in order to make the most of building for a day, and brownies would help boost a little more if they worked the same way. Plus, they'd be a better help fighting/collecting req, too. They're more expensive than cookies, so people will still buy those and will be more apt than they all ready are to send out welcome cookies to new players or people who want/need them (which I think is a wonderful thing), as the brownies do the same thing, just a little better. I know I usually splurge on the biggest pack of cookies (partially because it's a great deal, but also because of the surprise thats inside sometimes), and would probably end up doing the same with brownies, because that would be handy.

Also, as a side note to Carter, I like that your suggestions got more and more infomercial-y, haha. The first couple are just explanations, then they get all fancy and really work to sell the idea Smile

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 05:05 AM

Content:

Skidge?
Nadya?
Ebenezer?
Zolotisty?
Shi?
Cherriki?
Rosemoo?
Anyone?

I'll get back to you on that?

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 08:12 AM
By: Iriana

Content:

I've been getting back into building a little bit, so most of the Lodge items I would want would be building-related. I miss the trains a lot, so I'd buy loads of Point Teleports--someone mentioned them earlier, kind of like the First-Class Train passes? Seriously, loads.

And I really think the "Site Admin" and "Author" donation buttons need to be redone so they're less confusing. I know there's text underneath describing what each button is for, but I can't help but think that someone at some point has clicked the wrong button and sent the money to the wrong place. (Someday, that someone is going to be me.) I'm glad the guy who wrote LoGD wrote LoGD and all, but I'd far rather give money to CMJ than to that guy. Maybe change the text of the buttons to something more similar to "support improbable island" and "support the guy who wrote the original game engine".

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 12:21 PM
By: Zaidikel

Content:

I've got two ideas.

One, some sort of spice trader system. Or certain other items, maybe, that could be bought/sold in Places by people who use supporter points to buy a "business license"

Secondly, more importantly, the text on the intro page, where new users sign up. I understand it needs to show that the island may be... not safe for kids to play. But it seriously hinders my ability to get friends and family to sign up when the first thing they read before signing up is about a giant purple sex toy. The "CLICK HERE FOR MIDGET PENIS" ad didn't help either. Yeah, I know there's the Large Hardon Collider, and the Bicyclops, but those don't seem as offensive as the giant purple sex toy that assaults readers in their first moments on the island.

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 01:54 PM
By: Skidge

Content:

Skidge?
Nadya?
Ebenezer?
Zolotisty?
Shi?
Cherriki?
Rosemoo?
Anyone?

What I do not draw I do not do art things do not spread these rumors about me for-they-are-built-of-duct-tape-and-falsehoods

((I might d'yeh a comic'r two 'f 'mnot the only one))

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 02:08 PM

Content:

Okay, we've got Zefrieus and Skidge!! Anyone else? The ideas for Hunter's Lodge items are frankly, good to great, but we're asking CMJ to create them at a time when the Island is dying. Man's got a lot on his plate already.

We have this site thanks to him, we owe him.

I'll put my (metaphorical) money where my mouth is- anybody want a story from me? If you guys want, I can't craft anything well enough to suit, but I'll write you a thousand page story of your choosing (with some upper limits to good taste content, but still), gladly!

Here we have a chance to do something really unique if we get this crafts drive together- help him out with money, and get ISLAND CRAFTS! Widgets! Physical things! And the Island!!! How is that not a sweet deal???

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 03:41 PM
By: Ebenezer

Content:

Anyone who has the time and inclination to participate in some kind of art drive for the Island is more than welcome to! Anyone who doesn't is perfectly welcome not to. Let's not name names, guys, we wouldn't want to put pressure on others to do something they might not be comfortable or capable of doing.

While an art drive is one cool idea, there are still many more to be had! CMJ did ask us for any ideas, so there's no harm in saying whatever comes to mind. Hunter's Lodge ideas and any others are all fine! Huzzah for the power of brainstorming!

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 04:01 PM

Content:

Okay, we've got Zefrieus and Skidge!! Anyone else? The ideas for Hunter's Lodge items are frankly, good to great, but we're asking CMJ to create them at a time when the Island is dying. Man's got a lot on his plate already.

We have this site thanks to him, we owe him.

I'll put my (metaphorical) money where my mouth is- anybody want a story from me? If you guys want, I can't craft anything well enough to suit, but I'll write you a thousand page story of your choosing (with some upper limits to good taste content, but still), gladly!

Here we have a chance to do something really unique if we get this crafts drive together- help him out with money, and get ISLAND CRAFTS! Widgets! Physical things! And the Island!!! How is that not a sweet deal???

I.. I can sew? I mean, I dont do it super often but I make my own cosplay so can probably pretty easily figure out how to make stuff! Especially if they're smaller items... i like the idea of grenades, that'd be cute and probably quite easy....! And of course if anyone wanted something in particular... Frilly Pink Panties! Oh goodness. Or, I suppose, for guys who may be afraid of being pants-ed while wearing panties, Frilly Pink Boxers(or briefs, even)!

And, I just thought, it might be cool to do little chronospheres? I'm thinking marble sized (shooter sized perhaps for the super ones, were anyone to want them), and then they can either be just on their own or made into a pendant. Or earrings, even, if they're light enough. Small ones as stud earrings! Or keychains... Bracelets... I.. I kinda want to do that now, really badly....

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 04:49 PM

Content:

Quote by: Ebenezer

Anyone who has the time and inclination to participate in some kind of art drive for the Island is more than welcome to! Anyone who doesn't is perfectly welcome not to. Let's not name names, guys, we wouldn't want to put pressure on others to do something they might not be comfortable or capable of doing.

While an art drive is one cool idea, there are still many more to be had! CMJ did ask us for any ideas, so there's no harm in saying whatever comes to mind. Hunter's Lodge ideas and any others are all fine! Huzzah for the power of brainstorming!

Let's not name names? I have to disagree with you there, Eb. Everyone has the power to refuse. As far as I can tell, no-one is trying to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do, and there is nothing wrong with asking the folk who are most talented if they're in. You've given a perfect example: *You* like the idea, but are going to bow out of donating crafts. That's cool, and nothing has been said to intimate otherwise. No harm done.

For two, we're here together trying to save the site. It's actually going under unless we do something to get CMJ more money reliably (i.e., help come up with Hunter's Lodge items) and get him money right now (i.e., some kind of big donation drive right now) He said that he can't make his rent, and that the Island itself is in real danger. That's worth taking such a step (among many others!) as asking people.

The only way to do a player run project will of course, be with a group of people. I'm willing to bet no one of us could handle a donation drive for the Island by themselves.

Unless you just meant that we can't discuss player-run projects in the forum? In which case, okay, fair. Just say the word and it shall be taken off-site!

I do completely agree with your point that "While an art drive is one cool idea, there are still many more to be had!". That's my main point here- except for Zef, Skidge, Cherri, and Nonners, no-one (in this thread) has yet discussed any ideas that wouldn't require more work from CMJ (especially at a crisis point!), and we need to change that. That, and I really, really like Zef's idea.

EDIT: Nonners, YES! I love it!!
I've talked to Marly, too- she's in as well (contribution: Art!). So we have Zefrieus, Skidge, myself, Nonners, and Marly.

Y'know what? I'm going to move this to another thread. This needs its own thread, since this is the brainstorming thread. Tally ho!

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 07:03 PM

Content:

Quote by: Xorbius

A photograph of Thor in a bikini. How much not to post it in the Gallery of Shame ....?

Damn. Damn.

Alright. Uh. I have... five dollars and a peppermint that came partially unwrapped in my purse.

Please take it.

(in more on-topic news, I think the Cream Pie and Pinpoint Teleporter ideas are awesome.)

Also,
Quote by: Matthew

Quote by: Maniak

I think she meant the default color of emotes, which I agree would be nice.

Yes! This is what I meant. Big Grin Thanks, Matthew.

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 08:35 PM

Content:

commissions, although those too, of course.

How about a Project Wonderful type thing where people buy in to register on a reasonably-accessible page on the Island wherein they can advertise their commissionshippery? As Zef said, there are artists aplenty, and I know at least two who openly and widely advertise their "misshes", most especially in terms of character illustrations. Bet you Addie's making a mint off of those, look at how many she does.

Also, I could sew those grenades. I would sew the gunpowder out of those grenades. PROTOTYPE HERE WE COME

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 06:52 PM

Content:

A photograph of Thor in a bikini. How much not to post it in the Gallery of Shame ....?

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 05:50 PM
By: Skidge

Content:

Quote by: Ebenezer

Let's not name names? I have to disagree with you there, Eb. Everyone has the power to refuse. As far as I can tell, no-one is trying to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do, and there is nothing wrong with asking the folk who are most talented if they're in. You've given a perfect example: *You* like the idea, but are going to bow out of donating crafts. That's cool, and nothing has been said to intimate otherwise. No harm done.

For two, we're here together trying to save the site. It's actually going under unless we do something to get CMJ more money reliably (i.e., help come up with Hunter's Lodge items) and get him money right now (i.e., some kind of big donation drive right now) He said that he can't make his rent, and that the Island itself is in real danger. That's worth taking such a step (among many others!) as asking people.

The only way to do a player run project will of course, be with a group of people. I'm willing to bet no one of us could handle a donation drive for the Island by themselves.

Unless you just meant that we can't discuss player-run projects in the forum? In which case, okay, fair. Just say the word and it shall be taken off-site!

I do completely agree with your point that "While an art drive is one cool idea, there are still many more to be had!". That's my main point here- except for Zef, Skidge, Cherri, and Nonners, no-one (in this thread) has yet discussed any ideas that wouldn't require more work from CMJ (especially at a crisis point!), and we need to change that. That, and I really, really like Zef's idea.

EDIT: Nonners, YES! I love it!!
I've talked to Marly, too- she's in as well (contribution: Art!). So we have Zefrieus, Skidge, myself, Nonners, and Marly.

Y'know what? I'm going to move this to another thread. This needs its own thread, since this is the brainstorming thread. Tally ho!

Actually, I said I might, and that was mostly because I had been called out. By name. And now I have apparently committed. Which I actually hadn't.

Ain't nothing wrong with enthusiasm, Harris-my-boy, but perhaps you should consider toning it down a bit? If only because I'm unemployed, and broker than CMJ by a long shot, and yeah I got time on my hands but not so much that I'm willing to be strongarmed. I'm sure that wasn't what you were trying to do, but that's still how I'm feeling.

It is Not A Good Feeling. Frown

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 06:13 PM

Content:

Unless you just meant that we can't discuss player-run projects in the forum? In which case, okay, fair. Just say the word and it shall be taken off-site.

Better to do the organizing and asking for volunteers behind the scenes, Harris. That's what gmail is for. Doing it in public puts people on the spot, which is... unpleasant to be subjected to, unpleasant to witness, and is pretty much the exact opposite of what you mean to do.

I've removed that other thread. Let's get back to brainstorming ideas!

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 08:40 PM

Content:

Another thing, also. How chill would folks be (or how unhappy) with me- or others, this is an IDEA- advertising the Island on, say, forums, or even in the real world?

I had a vision of a tent at my uni's club fair with people dressed as Jokers offering cake. It was glorious.

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 09:07 PM

Content:

Also also, (and sorry for triple post but Edit times out) I made a thread for merch/Island-based product ideas, over in OOC. Just saying.

(it also includes a fancy schmancy idea about licensing that would help ensure CMJ profits from their sales)

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 09:21 PM
By: marlysalt

Content:

(Irony, that my first post is in hopes to save this place!)

I have no idea how the thing works, but here.

http://www.kickstarter.com/

People could post some of their custom art and some of those stuffed grenades or maybe even some in-game rewards (supporter points, cookies and lodge items, or maybe even the chance to help submit a new game function on two? Personally, eating in places for sp sounds interesting...). It might help in the short term, and the items could be in the swag store afterwords! ^.^'' in retrospect, maybe this /isnt/ needed to be here so much if it could be done from the II site itself, but hey, its a thought.

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 09:23 PM

Content:

...custom tattoos?

also I will pay for the ability to tell newbies with powers, Homestuck (whatever that is) fan fiction writers, and illiterates that I hate their faces and they should die, without me being reprimanded.

Seriously tho the big reason I play 90% less than I used to (and thus contribute much less) is the sliding quality of the writing. I remember when I first joined, years ago, CMJ had a notice up asking players to get their friends to play, saying, "I could get thousands to join, easy. But I don't want them. I want another thousand just like you." That's what attracted me that very day, and made me stay so long. The feeling that this game was a wink and a nod to us: the well-read, those who grew up teaching themselves how to spin a story, the nerdy, those who loved the Hitchhiker series and Princess Bride. There was a canon story and a way to start, and you started naked and alone and afraid, and it was good, because you learned the ropes by doing.

Now... People join and they're battlebots and dragons and winged cats who can do magic. But even that would be okay, if they could write passably.

I just tire so quickly of the poorly-written nonsense that dominates a lot of Island chat. I know that makes me a curmudgeon and an asshole. I'm sorry. I just don't want to read the RP of someone who doesn't know the difference between you're and your or their and they're.

When I joined, there was very little help or explanation of the Island's humor. We were expected to explore it, to get a feel for it, to understand intuitively that this was an adventure, to be discovered. Now it's a different kind of player. It seems like they have no imagination and are too fearful to take a step without being spoon-fed every single aspect of the story: "and what happens when i get to lvl 4 lol" "how you kill a Titan? lol" "what is in the Abandoned Factory?" "should i eat the food lol?" Why don't they just try out and see, like we old-timers did?

Dying in Stonehenge used to be a lesson. Now players get told every single outcome and the probability of each, and avoid it, and go on playing winged cat vampires who can control the weather.

That's my rant, and I'm an asshole, but that's the way I feel. That's why I've played less and less for quite some time now. I admire CMJ enormously and love supporting this crazy venture of his, but I guess I don't feel like I'm among my people any more. The people who get the joke. You know?

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 11:00 PM
By: Edith

Content:

Quote by: Black+jacques

...custom tattoos?

also I will pay for the ability to tell newbies with powers, Homestuck (whatever that is) fan fiction writers, and illiterates that I hate their faces and they should die, without me being reprimanded.

Seriously tho the big reason I play 90% less than I used to (and thus contribute much less) is the sliding quality of the writing. I remember when I first joined, years ago, CMJ had a notice up asking players to get their friends to play, saying, "I could get thousands to join, easy. But I don't want them. I want another thousand just like you." That's what attracted me that very day, and made me stay so long. The feeling that this game was a wink and a nod to us: the well-read, those who grew up teaching themselves how to spin a story, the nerdy, those who loved the Hitchhiker series and Princess Bride. There was a canon story and a way to start, and you started naked and alone and afraid, and it was good, because you learned the ropes by doing.

Now... People join and they're battlebots and dragons and winged cats who can do magic. But even that would be okay, if they could write passably.

I just tire so quickly of the poorly-written nonsense that dominates a lot of Island chat. I know that makes me a curmudgeon and an asshole. I'm sorry. I just don't want to read the RP of someone who doesn't know the difference between you're and your or their and they're.

When I joined, there was very little help or explanation of the Island's humor. We were expected to explore it, to get a feel for it, to understand intuitively that this was an adventure, to be discovered. Now it's a different kind of player. It seems like they have no imagination and are too fearful to take a step without being spoon-fed every single aspect of the story: "and what happens when i get to lvl 4 lol" "how you kill a Titan? lol" "what is in the Abandoned Factory?" "should i eat the food lol?" Why don't they just try out and see, like we old-timers did?

Dying in Stonehenge used to be a lesson. Now players get told every single outcome and the probability of each, and avoid it, and go on playing winged cat vampires who can control the weather.

That's my rant, and I'm an asshole, but that's the way I feel. That's why I've played less and less for quite some time now. I admire CMJ enormously and love supporting this crazy venture of his, but I guess I don't feel like I'm among my people any more. The people who get the joke. You know?

This. Oh my god, this.

Posted on: September 26 2012 @ 11:41 PM

Content:

Paying for anon distractions like with quills and the service board anounecements?

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 12:44 AM

Content:

No. Big Grin

Seriously tho the big reason I play 90% less than I used to (and thus contribute much less) is the sliding quality of the writing.

There is some amazing writing happening on the Island right now.

True, it's harder to find. This is partly because there are many more players than there were when you joined, and partly because there are many, many more places for them to write their stories.

The Island has always had its share of poor writers. You are forgetting! I'd remind you, but I'd have to name names... and some of those players are still here -- except that, now, they are very good writers. That happens a lot. When people stay, they write, they write more, then they write some more, and, big surprise! they get better at it.

When I joined, there was very little help or explanation of the Island's humor. We were expected to explore it, to get a feel for it, to understand intuitively that this was an adventure, to be discovered. Now it's a different kind of player. It seems like they have no imagination and are too fearful to take a step without being spoon-fed every single aspect of the story.
But this isn't at all the fault of the new players! It comes from veteran players enjoying their status as experts -- perhaps a little too much. When information is offered so generously, in a spirit of wanting to help... that sets the tone. People are bound to feel that it would be folly not to ask for advice.

I am sorry to hear that you are enjoying the game less. I have always liked your cheerfully rude curmudgeon of a character, and probably I should have said so long ago, but, well... better late than never!

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 01:42 AM
By: Lain

Content:

I love the idea of the journal and the official mementos. I'd buy.

Consumable goods seem like they'd generate more in the long run. Two 100-packs of cookies is more than the Creator Bundle was; I've easily bought six of those cookie packs by now. The brownies...yes. And maybe something else that increases the chance of improbable events (cake?) like the Tattoo Mutant or decreases the number of hunts before finding your Dan Quest monster. And something else entirely that increases the odds of cigs. And while we're at it, something consumable that also gives favor for when I failboat once too often on a really good Joker day.

And a titan-generator. Yes--all of that. And I would throw pie in everyone's faces if I could. And buy stilts to build on the water.

And...I know the trains were a pain, but I'd use SP to buy passes if I had to (or buy a Joker to collect cards for first class passes). I suppose, barring the return of trains, that I'd use Pinpoint Teleporters, certainly.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 02:24 AM

Content:

Unless you just meant that we can't discuss player-run projects in the forum? In which case, okay, fair. Just say the word and it shall be taken off-site.

Better to do the organizing and asking for volunteers behind the scenes, Harris. That's what gmail is for. Doing it in public puts people on the spot, which is... unpleasant to be subjected to, unpleasant to witness, and is pretty much the exact opposite of what you mean to do.

Right. Message received loud and clear.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 02:26 AM

Content:

Quote by: Skidge

Actually, I said I might, and that was mostly because I had been called out. By name. And now I have apparently committed. Which I actually hadn't.

Ain't nothing wrong with enthusiasm, Harris-my-boy, but perhaps you should consider toning it down a bit? If only because I'm unemployed, and broker than CMJ by a long shot, and yeah I got time on my hands but not so much that I'm willing to be strongarmed. I'm sure that wasn't what you were trying to do, but that's still how I'm feeling.

It is Not A Good Feeling. Frown

Ah. I apologize. I didn't see how my initial response to Zefrieus contained anything but asking, and I thought by the way you wrote your reply, you were jocularly saying 'yes', but only if someone else were involved. Last thing I want to do is hurt you.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 03:04 AM

Content:

Quote by: Count+SessineThere is some amazing writing happening on the Island right now.

True, it's harder to find. This is partly because there are many more players than there were when you joined, and partly because there are many, many more places for them to write their stories.

You're right, you're right. I should seek it out instead of being a curmudgeon.

The Island has always had its share of poor writers. You are forgetting! I'd remind you, but I'd have to name names... and some of those players are still here -- except that, now, they are very good writers.

Me, right? It's me? I guess that the answer is me.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 03:39 AM
By: Mogar

Content:

Better compass travel! I love sitting back and reading places, just using my mouse for traveling using the compass. Since it's a convenience feature, I'd pay money to move the compass to a stable position so it won't jolt around when I travel to new squares on the map.

Does anyone else use the compass? Or know that clicking its points moves you? That's the trouble. But then, the "Stabilize Compass" HL IItem might let people know the function exists, and that now you can make it work better.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 04:31 AM

Content:

Another thing, also. How chill would folks be (or how unhappy) with me- or others, this is an IDEA- advertising the Island on, say, forums, or even in the real world?

I had a vision of a tent at my uni's club fair with people dressed as Jokers offering cake. It was glorious.

Rather looking forward to seeing a response to this...since I had been planning to advertise the Island in a few places this weekend.

Much as I'm enjoying the many ideas being generated (and will be investing in at least some)...I do think that the bestest ever way to improve revenue long term and sustainably is to add members. If we players can help do so without CMJ having to shell out extra ad dollars, seems like a win all around.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 04:44 AM

Content:

Rather looking forward to seeing a response to this...since I had been planning to advertise the Island in a few places this weekend.

Much as I'm enjoying the many ideas being generated (and will be investing in at least some)...I do think that the bestest ever way to improve revenue long term and sustainably is to add members. If we players can help do so without CMJ having to shell out extra ad dollars, seems like a win all around.

I think this is definitely a good idea. CMJ's said that the Island doesn't get much word-of-mouth advertising at all, and word of mouth is free. Mr. Green (A Joker Cake stand also sounds like a really good time.) If you're spreading the word on other sites or forums, though, try to keep in mind the best target-groups: writing groups and roleplaying groups are good targets, since II is largely a writing-based community, whereas 4chan would be a bad target, since we don't want to turn II into a trolling ground. Also, this probably goes without saying, but be careful not to advertise in the comments on webcomics or in any areas of websites that you don't know are alright with advertising other sites. The best way to introduce II to a discussion forum, I think, would be to start a thread talking about why it's fun for you and inviting others to have fun with you, as opposed to saying "Join II if you like furries and poisoned cake! Free To Play, My Lord!"

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 04:56 AM

Content:

I think this is definitely a good idea. CMJ's said that the Island doesn't get much word-of-mouth advertising at all, and word of mouth is free. Mr. Green (A Joker Cake stand also sounds like a really good time.) If you're spreading the word on other sites or forums, though, try to keep in mind the best target-groups: writing groups and roleplaying groups are good targets, since II is largely a writing-based community, whereas 4chan would be a bad target, since we don't want to turn II into a trolling ground. Also, this probably goes without saying, but be careful not to advertise in the comments on webcomics or in any areas of websites that you don't know are alright with advertising other sites. The best way to introduce II to a discussion forum, I think, would be to start a thread talking about why it's fun for you and inviting others to have fun with you, as opposed to saying "Join II if you like furries and poisoned cake! Free To Play, My Lord!"

Ya as mentioned by Jacques.. there is a definite care placed in advertizing for the island really. We don't want big public member fishing adventures to just bring in a lot of Drama.

A rl advertizing to people you think are not likely to be online dicks.. and you can have a lot of fun doing it even if the people there wouldn't get the in-jokes.. I think it would be cool and awsome really.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 09:57 AM

Content:

Hang on a second, I love the Joker tent idea. A lot. I know I'd hate doing it if I were alone, socially awkward tadpole that I am, but aren't there a few places where a handful of Islanders live close to each other? I don't know, I can see it working out really well at a club fair at a university like Quinn said. I would not be totally averse to dressing up as a Joker with a bunch of other Islanders and handing out cake.

I know the idea of bottle-able pub drinks has been tossed around about a million times, and the rebuttal that it would be insanely overpowered has been tossed right back about a million times. But how about a hip flask or something, holding maybe five extra rounds of any one drink? You have to fill it up from the outpost where the pub is, to limit it a bit. I... er, this worked out better in my head. But there must be some way of adapting this so that it's a) a Lodge item that people would buy and b) not overpowered. I'd certainly spend SP on anything that would make the drinks go further.

Also, wanted to voice support for the race-change thing someone brought up earlier. I broke my string of Human runs and now I'm regretting it--I'm so busy now that I have no time to waffle about with these low-stam/low-attack Joker days. I feel like I've been trapped as a Joker for ages. I'd pay a buck or two to switch to Human and finish this DK--wait a second. Is there potential for cheatery here? I'm not sure. Well, maybe paying to restart a DK, get a chance to pick another race--I'd even do that.

Alternately, a token to flip for Jokers to re-roll their stats for the day. A once-a-gameday thing, and you can pick certain sections to re-roll--maybe costing more if you want to re-roll more. If your att, def, travel costs, and hunting costs suck, but your fighting cost is excellent, you can re-roll four sections. BOY would I love that actually.

A super secret Lodge-only mount? It could give a slightly bigger buff than the ordinary ones. I don't know if people would complain about that. Heck, I'd pay for a third installment of Zombie Donkey. I do so love the Zombie Donkey.

(While we're on the topic of money, I'd probably give a hundred bucks right now to anyone who delivered me a hot meal. Good lord I'm starving.)

(Would it be bad to order myself a whole pizza at two-thirty in the morning? Probably yes.)

If someone wrote a legitimately good song about something on the Island and recorded it properly, all professional-like, I'm sure it could be sold. I'd buy it for 99c just because. And if they made it unintelligible enough to outside people that it could potentially be just a very weird but very good song, we could even convince normal people to listen to it. Or something. Er, maybe not this one.

Buying Favor with SP? Has that been mentioned? I'm sure it has. Sorry, I feel like I must be just repeating things that other people have already said. I don't mean to. But seriously, buying Favor with SP.

I keep mentioning the Trains, but I really did love them. I know they've been sort of permanently tabled, but--if there's anything I'd pay to have, it would be the Trains, in all their antique glory. I've played wonderful scenes in the train stations, and on the trains themselves. It was equal parts the atmosphere that Sessine and everyone else created around them and the convenience of the transportation, but I thought they were magnificent. I'd pay to have it rebooted, and I'd pay for passes to use it.

Moving Places? Like... actual ambulatory Places. That's come up before, several times. We decided it was a bad idea, but I forget why. Is there a way to make that non-game-breaking and also profitable? Maybe you can only move the thing one square per realday.

I know the Lodge tries to stay away from items that make the game itself easier, but I've always felt that the crate sniffers were a bit useless--what about something that widens the radius of the sniffers? 3 squares is a bit small. On a Bastard run, I'd appreciate the ability to make a little more req early on. Does this contradict the purpose of the Lodge bags of req? Having items from the crates early on is nice too.

OH. Paying to knock off extra Gauntlet HP has that come up so far. Because I have Gauntlet HP that I have started to hate. Not nearly as much as some people hate theirs, I'm guessing.

okay sorry for repeating other people's ideas done vomiting words going now

(boy do I wish I were nearly as rich as all my expressed desires and willingness to pay for them makes me sound)

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 03:17 PM

Content:

Right. Message received loud and clear.

I... okay. *clears throat* Yes. I owe you an apology, Harris. I overreacted. Enthusiasm is not grounds for thread deletion.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 03:40 PM

Content:

Thank you. I appreciate that.

As for topic... I think Jacques has a splendid idea in the tattoos; he's not got much response here, but look at the
intensely collector-y mentality that online gamers in particular have. I'm prophesying gold here.

For the same reasons, I have to quite agree with you on the "limited time Mementos". Those sound splendid

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 05:07 PM
By: Mercury

Content:

A lot of stuff I say a lot being said

You. I love you in that warm and fuzzy platonic way.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 05:13 PM

Content:

I have been trying to think of things that will keep people buying supporter points. There's a lot of great Hunter's lodge ideas and items, but you'd buy one.

The stop a breach idea, like it, but how about some sort of breach booster. Rather than someone just fixing it, how about a lodge item (hero's brew? Turret pass ?) that lasts one gameday, works in breaches and in game terms boosts attack and defense or somesuch. Or even offers imunity for those that just need to nip in briefly for a specific reason.

The Improbable Lottery - like Dan's lottery(ish). You buy a ticket with real money (say a dollar) and at the end of the day (week?) one lucky random winner wins SPs to the tune of 50% of the total bought. As long as more than 2 are bought, the prize is a worthwhile gamble, and CMJ is always up on the deal.

Town Mayor - remember way back when the council offices were totally corrupt ? The clan that upped the most req controlled that settlement's and it's goodies ? Such nefarious plans and strategems - happy days.
How about the player who coughs up the most SP in any particular settlement becomes Mayor of said town ? Right up until someone trumps his/her contribution.
There should be benefits, something like massive discount at Sheila's, a badge (Right Honourable Mayor of Squathole badge, anyone ?) even an 'Ex Mayor of (insert settlement name)' badge once deposed, for example. And to stop anyone from buying a permanent position, a maximum term is of a finite duration.
Now this has the potential for 'voting' by donating SP to Mayoral candidates. Backstabbing ! Corruption ! LOTS OF FLOWING SP !

Hopefully there's something here that someone can run with/improve on

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 05:22 PM

Content:

Off Topic

The Island has always had its share of poor writers. You are forgetting! I'd remind you, but I'd have to name names... and some of those players are still here -- except that, now, they are very good writers.

Me, right? It's me? I guess that the answer is me.

Oh! Oh! Oh! **waves hand** I am one of those persons, right? Right?

In all honesty, I find myself looking at some of the roleplay sometimes and facepalming and going "Why is this happening right now?" However, sometimes I take a step back and say "You know what? I was pretty terrible too" (Was going to link one of said terrible scenes, but I was reading it and uh, no. Just, no.)

/Off Topic

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 06:13 PM

Content:

/Off Topic

Damn straight. This thread's for ideas!

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 09:28 PM
By: Zaidikel

Content:

I've been batting around the idea of making a promotional video, themed like a movie trailer. The video could be on YouTube and linked from us posting on other forums, spread on twitter, from ads, etc. I've just got bits and pieces in my head, dramatic shots, snippets of the dramatic voiceover, etc.

Evolution's greatest failure or winged pistachio explains that the laws of probability preclude their successful reproduction.
"A new type of reality-warping radiation threatens to poison the whole planet..."

"military efforts to destroy the Improbability Drive were..."
A helicopter dissolves into pudding, as a gunner turns into a duck and flies away.
"unsuccessful."

A blurry upward first-person shot of the watcher looking down as you open your eyes, (can't give the watcher a concrete look, of course) and hear the first distant explosions.
"That leaves you."

A broad-shouldered, mustachioed, stereotypical drill sergeant in a green helmet, shouts at a group of naked recruits about how to destroy the drive.

Our star contestant, a timid young man in frilly pink panties, jingles what little req he has in his hand while eyeing the wall of weapons at Sheila's, pointing at a chainsaw, and is handed a plastic spork.

Same young man is offered a shady deal in the PSK, and gets a titanium spork in return.

An audience in a post-apocalyptic home watches a post-apocalyptic spinning-arm television, as said young man stands frightfully in the jungle, waving his spork, more like a totem than a weapon, in the direction of an approaching rustle... only to see a little old lady, looking for Albert. Relieved, he tries to help her back to town... and she brains him with her walker as the video cameras look on. Black screen!

Walking through a corridor on the FailBoat, panning left and right to contestants fighting in cages, and others huddled on deck, crying. Maybe a glance at Her from behind while she sits at her desk.

Contestant delivers a message to Corporal Punishment, only to see a tear in his eye as his trembling hand reaches for the envelope.

A more-confident contestant, in motorcycle leathers, and wielding a chainsaw, investigates a wave of dark purple energy accompanying metallic clangs in the jungle. As he nears a clearing and sees some giant cylindrical machinery, another wave of dark energy heralds the mysteriously blurred-out object that lands at his feet. He lifts the object to examine it, and when the leaves and twigs fall away, he drops it in revulsion, wiping his hand on the side of his pants. He glances up to see a bunch of little green men with pointy ears manipulating a control panel, and whispers under his breath "typo gremlins...?" before taking another step to bring the stenciling "Large Hardon Collider" into view. He mouths the word "oh" as if he figured it out, then rip-starts his chainsaw.

"A fight for survival against the deadly creations..."
A montage of 1/2 second shots of other improbable monsters, like velociraptors, the Weiner Punk, Hawton's Ivy, ending with an awkward shot of the contestant confusedly standing before the cel-shaded hand-drawn Anthropomorphised Circular Saw Philosopher, unsure of what to do.

A contestant wearing power armor and wielding a sun gun hefts open a heavy metal door in a concrete bunker...
"of a mad scientist's insane machine..."
Then a mind-bending scene of flying lightning, random occurrences, and twisting reality.

I think it would be fun.

Posted on: September 27 2012 @ 11:04 PM

Content:

Might as well link to the last Fund Raising Ideas Threads: March 2012 and September 2011. Lots of ideas collected in there - a few things have been implemented, but there's plenty that hasn't.

(Custom tattoos, for instance.)

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 12:42 AM
By: Shadow+Anarchist

Content:

I love the journal idea, I would also like active quests to be displayed in it cuz' sometimes your away from it to long and forget what it is your doing.
I also love the all in one item name changer, it would clean up lodge bags and be much simpler.

Also: the pay to win a fight would be useful but it would need to be limited to so many times a game day or that you earned no experience for the fight.

Absolutely love the art show! I was actually considering making Improbable merch and giving it to CMJ (maybe for SP wink wink nudge nudge) so he could sell it on the site, as I'm certain there are all sorts of skill sets with resources available to them that can't contribute in monetary value but wish to give something. I myself would love a hare brained belt buckle!

I believe someone said something about carrying builders supplies, perhaps you could have delivery men take your supplies to a map coordinate? And charge say 500sp?

The name changer for your partner would be nice as well.

I have not progressed far into the game but in the Jill story I wanted to suggest a money earner.
I wanted to suggest that Jill open a shop in improbable central (or a back room in the hunters lodge) since she said she was a blacksmith, she could add buffs or + whatever stats or items that are attached to the weapon you have that are removed when you sell them that way you keep the stat changer but its only active attached to a worn item.
You could charge depending on how high a percentage or amount of stats to the improbability augment.
Anywhere from 75(for one 1% stat change) and up.

Would it be possible to partner with real players to fight monsters? Perhaps charge for a 'buddy band'?
Or to write things for your character to say and set them up as mercenaries? Maybe charge 500+ to do that or charge a monthly amount?

I think it would the preview pass is cool but I agree that you should charge 500 for it. I don't like parting with my cash just as much as the next person but don't under charge yourself! If you feel uncomfortable with a high amount knock it down after, but don't give something great for almost free. If passes could be handed out by a shifty guy in an ally or a greasy teen in a record store that would be awesome! The record store might even be able to sell mp3s?

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 01:37 AM
By: AliceHeart

Content:

Hi guys! It's that time again, so I'll pitch in my two cents after reading up on a few things here. If I repost something, apologies, I may have skimmed some posts. If I do, hopefully I add rather than just repeat.

On to business! Ideas to get CMJ some cash:

-- A Hunter's Lodge item that allows you to extend the time that chat survives for in a Place. Note that this would only make posts remain for more time, not extend the total amount of pages that is the norm (100ish). You could even divvy it up into several, accordingly priced, items. Extend for one week, extend for two weeks (or maybe 15 days), extend for a month. I'm horrible at pricing these things, so if someone could come up with a reasonable price I'd appreciate it.

-- Special C&Cs, purchasable at the Hunter's Lodge, that allow you to program the outside of a Place. Mind you this would be limited of course, C&C's to clear chat wouldn't apply out here, but it would be great in order to program the appearance of a Place changing during daytime/nighttime, or opening during certain times of the day and whatnot.

-- An Omnigrid. A special Programming Grid, also purchasable at the Hunter's Lodge, or maybe from the Place menu, that allows you to make a Global Program that applies to the entire Place. You can bring back that "Move to Entrance" link if you want! And many other things!

-- These ideas were discussed between Hawkeye Hanlon and myself, the latter being his entirely. Enhanced versions of grenades, purchasable at the Hunter's Lodge, for those desperate situations against Titans/Drive/Bosses/Mutant/Magpie. Enhanced BANGs would obviously just do a metric butt-ton of damage. Enhanced ZAPs could still work for a random number of rounds, except they completely incapacitate an enemy (paralysis), or provide an even greater debuff to ATK/DEF. WHOOMPHs, instead of being the sad little thing they currently are, could "tick off" a % of an enemy's total HP instead of doing fixed damage per round. The second idea is to have an item similar to cookies, albeit more expensive because of what it'll do, that has contestant's chances of finding cigarettes in the Jungle increase by a set amount.

-- The option to "connect" your Place inventories. If you are the -owner- of more than one Place, this would allow you to stash things in any of your Places and access them from any of the Places. Alternatively, an idea I suggested a while back, is to have a different type of Teleporter Beacon (or just add a SP bought function to existing ones), that allows you to travel between Places, making transferring materials and C&Cs easier for a small price.

-- I'd like to add to Pinrut's (I think it was Pinrut's, apologies if I got mixed up), idea of making Mercenaries permanent with SP. Permanent of course referring to the duration of a NewDay, or until a Drive Kill. It's been so long since I used a mercenary that I've forgotten how they work. THIS is part of my suggestion: Add a SP bought "Super Mercenary". I don't think something like this should simply have massive ATK/DEF stats because they'd make Jungling too easy, but perhaps do something like have a massive HP pool in order to not die during high rank runs. (And by massive, I probably mean in the hundreds of thousands for those doing Bastard ranks). This mercenary won't attack directly, but has a small chance to place a strong debuff on the opponent. Say, a 1/10 chance of tossing a ZAP at a monster. Or a 1/10 chance of doing damage equal to 1/2 the monster's HP. Alternatively, the Mercenary can simply stand back and act as a shield for the player, providing X% of damage reduction.

-- Add C&C packs purchasable at the Hunter's Lodge. I know there's already a Programmer's Box, but a lot of people are in dire need of C&C's alone.

-- A date with CavemanJoe. Purchased at the Hunter's Lodge. You get an hour of CMJ all for yourself in the Outpost's restaurant of your choosing for a romantic candlelit dinner while you watch him hold back puking a Great Comforter. (This may or may not be serious.)

Aaaaand that's it for now. If I think of anything else I'll toss it in here. Sorry for the wall of text!

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 07:30 AM
By: Shiloh

Content:

OH. Paying to knock off extra Gauntlet HP has that come up so far. Because I have Gauntlet HP that I have started to hate. Not nearly as much as some people hate theirs, I'm guessing.

This. I missed this gem of Iriana's the first time I skimmed read through the latest batch of posts. Was going to suggest it myself. I never ever would have thought, going into it, that having more hitpoints would actually hurt after a certain point (on the higher ranks). But ow. Yeah. It's nice when I'm fighting Titans, but that's about it. And Stonehenge keeps giving me more stop it Stonehenge augh. It would be great to have a way to remove hitpoints permanently for those of us who do regret going a bit too far with the Gauntlet.

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 05:08 PM
By: warownslife

Content:

Quote by: Shiloh

This. I missed this gem of Iriana's the first time I skimmed read through the latest batch of posts. Was going to suggest it myself. I never ever would have thought, going into it, that having more hitpoints would actually hurt after a certain point (on the higher ranks). But ow. Yeah. It's nice when I'm fighting Titans, but that's about it. And Stonehenge keeps giving me more stop it Stonehenge augh. It would be great to have a way to remove hitpoints permanently for those of us who do regret going a bit too far with the Gauntlet.

I just don't fully understand why too much life is bad. I mean, if you have 1000 hitpoints, it seems like everything would be easier. and you could take those hitpoints and turn them into attack at the gym.

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 05:40 PM

Content:

Quote by: warownslife

Quote by: Shiloh

I just don't fully understand why too much life is bad. I mean, if you have 1000 hitpoints, it seems like everything would be easier. and you could take those hitpoints and turn them into attack at the gym.

This thread is for ideas on how to get donations -- so here, it's enough to note that quite a few people are saying they would really love to have that option and would be willing to pay supporter points to get it.

If you would like to know why they want this, your best bet is to ask them yourself -- either via distraction, or in Location Four, or, well... in some other Enquirer thread about Different Ways To Play, anyway. Let's keep this one on topic.

(...and, um, yes, I admit it. I have totally been guilty of triggering thread drift here, too.)

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 05:43 PM
By: Omega

Content:

Yes, you see. Putting it in the gym works only temporarily. The results go away with time, so you'd have to be near Tynan's Gym forever. Moreover, enemies don't lose health when you reduce it at Tynan's gym, and healing costs a lot. Especially on higher ranks.

Moreover, healing as a Robot is nearly impossible when you have a thousand hitpoints. Lightning Suits and Cat Launchers are harder to use when you have high health! Having a thousand hitpoints is good maybe if you only fight Titans or play on low ranks.

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 06:08 PM

Content:

[an item that would] decreases the number of hunts before finding your Dan Quest monster.

This sounds awesome. Not sure I'd actually pay for it unless it was permanent though, in which case the increased probability of finding the thing would have to be small.

Permanent Mercenaries

Perhaps just something that made your mercenaries re-join you tomorrow. That would be good.

A way to re-spend your Improbability Points and/or get rid of Permanent HP

THIS. Thisthisthisthisthis. Pretty please?

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 08:27 PM

Content:

So, I dont think this is the best idea, probably... But I figured I'd post it, cause hey, why not?

I was thinking maybe some sort of monthly drive where, say, the whole Island has to band together to do something relatively simple (It's Mr. Stern's birthday and everyone wants to get a present, Kittania needs new kitty scratching posts and mousey toys in the square, So-n-so's zombie donkey got lost in the swamps and needs help to find it). We'd all get a distract at the beginning of the month about whatever it is, and then any donations that month would begin filling up a bar (that's somewhere easy to see) that, when 100% is reached, (that is, when whatever the donation goal is reached) we've done it and something lovely and out of the ordinary happens! Like, I dont know, we all get a big stamina boost, or all go up a level, or some special food item that fills you up completely while also making you svelte and 6x sexier shows up for cheap, or any combination of cool perks. I dont know! But, if by the end of the month 100% `iisnt`i reached, that's cool too. Whatever, try again next month. In either case I think everyone getting a distract that's like "Yay! The present we got Mr. Stern was a success! Who knew that thigh-high, fuzzy, polkadotted, toe-massaging boots were just what he was jhoping for!" if we've done it or "Mr. Stern tries to hide his distaste with the practical leather shoes everyone spent a month's worth of req on to get supplies to make... He was really hoping for a pair of thigh-high, fuzzy, polkadotted, toe-massaging boots.. Oh well. Maybe for his next birthday." if we havent.

People who usually donate here and there will probably keep doing so, and people who dont donate as often might do so more because it'll be getting towards the end of the month and maybe they'd be like, hey! look how close it is! i suppose i could spare a little... I'm not thinking the goal would be like, $750,000 or something ridiculous. I'd suggest it fluctuate, like, say, it goes up a little higher the month after we reach the goal, so we're not winning `ievery`i month, though that'd be cool... And it goes down a little after a month where we dont.

I dunno. I can see a lot of flaws with this, but it might be rather fun, I think... We'd be getting all the same results during the month as when people donate now (crates dropped, more stamina, altruism boosts etc), and then we would get something even better if we reach the goal. So, it benefits everyone.

Plus, it'd give people a little something to RP about every month. You can talk with your friends about how Pleasantville is going through renovations to become more 'Pleasant' to encourage more visitors by everything being painted pink and what a wonderful idea that is... Unless you're a mutant, in which case I suppose you'd be writing morose poetry about how wonderful that is

Posted on: September 28 2012 @ 09:19 PM

Content:

I actually really like that idea! That is all.

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 10:03 AM

Content:

A couple of ideas that a different thread just reminded me I'd like to be able to do with my place, and would pay money for because - well - they're probably be the sort of things you should think hard about before installing...

A Monster Cage, containing a monster visitors could actually fight - probably using a variation of the Cage Fighting code so that they scale ok with level.

A way to Failboat visitors who make incorrect choices or do stupid things like swimming into an entirely submerged geometrically impossible maze. Hell, if I could do this I'd probably be tempted to flesh out the maze more too, and use Memories and stuff.

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 11:09 AM

Content:

an awesome idea about thigh-high fuzzy polkadotted toe-massaging boots

This could be really fun! For myself, I'm very highly motivated by Achievements or Collections or Things Like That. A visible status bar telling us how close we are as a team to achieving something silly and senseless would, probably, get a bit of money out of me every month just for the sake of achieving. (You know, if I have any money that month.)

This also goes for the idea of limited-edition Collector's Mementos. The collector within would be thrilled beyond measure to purchase Useless Things that I can stuff in my backpack and lovingly caress for years to come.

Quote by: Wongo+the+Sane

A way to Failboat visitors who make incorrect choices or do stupid things like swimming into an entirely submerged geometrically impossible maze. Hell, if I could do this I'd probably be tempted to flesh out the maze more too, and use Memories and stuff.

I think this idea sounds cool at first glance, but wouldn't be the wisest? Surprise Failboating visitors to your Place would be the fastest way to piss people off and make them avoid your Place. Nobody likes being failed by Stonehenge/walking the ledge/taking the ferry/drinking magic water, even though that's an expected outcome of a) being in the Jungle and b) trying the random chance events. I can only imagine people would like it even less from somewhere they don't expect it, like a Place.

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 02:38 PM
By: Zefrieus

Content:

I was thinking maybe some sort of monthly drive where, say, the whole Island has to band together to do something relatively simple (It's Mr. Stern's birthday and everyone wants to get a present, Kittania needs new kitty scratching posts and mousey toys in the square, So-n-so's zombie donkey got lost in the swamps and needs help to find it).

I love this too. It's motivating (people love to win!), funny and so very flavourful.

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 03:12 PM

Content:

Throwing my hat in for Nonner's idea too! The prizes could be a bit tricky to figure out (in such a way that they do not intrude on the money we want to fling at you in the Hunter's Lodge, Mister CMJ!), BUT, other than that THIS SOUNDS FANTASTIC!

I also must say that Wongo's idea sounds wonderful too! I can see SUCH a flurry of building and programming (a.k.a. Hunter's Lodge sales) beginning again if this is implemented (especially if it's a Hunter's Lodge item, and an expensive one!!! Don't make this stuff cheap, please!!! We already have almost too much that's really cheap!). The only problem I can forsee for this one is: DICKERY. The feature being used for revenge and such. It'd be easy enough to punish and perpetrators (I imagine. Correct me if I'm wrong!), BUT- I wonder if it'd be too hard to detect when it is happening/prove that someone was Failboated through DICKERY.

Still, both are freaking awesome.

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 03:26 PM
By: Marly

Content:

So here's my idea for a limited-run item, like the Emily bundle and all that. It'd be meant to act like a short-term cash flow that would keep on giving later on.

It's a pen. It acts like a quill in that it lets you write out Special Comments. It's one of those fancy ones that need refills (quills, really) but because you have the pen already, it's a bit cheaper to get more Special Comments. It's a fancy pen, the sort that comes in a box, with a ribbon and a little certificate and says they've been making them since before time existed.

I'd use Specials more often with something like this because... hey, Discount! It's like when you have one of those mugs where they give you free coffee for it, and so suddenly you're there at the store every day getting coffee, except now you're also getting a muffin to go with your daily free coffee. Suddenly you are fat and happy and know a lot about muffins.

...actually, can I just have a muffin?

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 04:32 PM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

Quote by: Marly
Silly Forumite! No food until you make quota! Now... swimming in this large pool of ideas, I have three major thoughts:

1. Improbable Island is a free game. And some of these suggestions, like the AntiGauntlet and the Journal are great. So great, in fact, that they should be a part of the game, not the metaphorical fuzzy dice which you have to pay to receive.

2. I (and others) would probably pay money for the Stock Hog medal.

`iisnt`i `ievery`i
Heh heh.

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 10:26 PM

Content:

I really like Marly's idea, and would probably use special comments a lot more often if they didn't feel like such a Precious Resource.

Should also come with a medal, or something.

Because medals are awesome, and get certain people me to buy things even if they don't need them builder's box.

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 10:37 PM

Content:

Quote by: Full+Metal+Lion

1. Improbable Island is a free game. And some of these suggestions, like the AntiGauntlet and the Journal are great. So great, in fact, that they should be a part of the game, not the metaphorical fuzzy dice which you have to pay to receive.

Heartily disagreed. The Antigauntlet, maybe. Because high HP has an *okay* counterbalance in Tynan's, but the fact that Tynan's doesn't scale down enemy HP *is* a good arguement for being some kind of hard-to-get-but-in-game thing to achieve. However. I think it's still very do-able as a Hunter's Lodge item because we can always us grenades, and more importantly, lower our rank to get some quick Improbability Points. Make it something reasonable like $10, and I think game balance, as well as CMJ's wallet will both be well.

The Journal, though, no. The quests are right there for the reading for free at the time you do them, and to get more out of them (especially since the writing sounds like it's actually *more* difficult to do than the coding), I think it's better that The Man Himself get rewarded for them, since we reaped all the benefits the first time. I mean, wouldn't you spend five bucks on a graphic novel? Novel? Poetry? Even ten dollars?

Posted on: September 29 2012 @ 10:40 PM

Content:

I really like Marly's idea, and would probably use special comments a lot more often if they didn't feel like such a Precious Resource.

Should also come with a medal, or something.

Because medals are awesome, and get certain people me to buy things even if they don't need them builder's box.

I third Marly, and say that Matt raises *another* good point: You're dealing with the XBOX generation heyar, CMJ- is attaching a medal to any or all of (upcoming) higher cost Items reasonably do-able?

I'm betting players'd love it, to the point of sales boosting. Smile

Posted on: September 30 2012 @ 02:09 AM

Content:

Quote by: Marly

So here's my idea for a limited-run item, like the Emily bundle and all that. It'd be meant to act like a short-term cash flow that would keep on giving later on.

It's a pen. It acts like a quill in that it lets you write out Special Comments. It's one of those fancy ones that need refills (quills, really) but because you have the pen already, it's a bit cheaper to get more Special Comments. It's a fancy pen, the sort that comes in a box, with a ribbon and a little certificate and says they've been making them since before time existed.

I'd use Specials more often with something like this because... hey, Discount! It's like when you have one of those mugs where they give you free coffee for it, and so suddenly you're there at the store every day getting coffee, except now you're also getting a muffin to go with your daily free coffee. Suddenly you are fat and happy and know a lot about muffins.

^ This please. Pleaseohpleaseohplease.

Posted on: September 30 2012 @ 06:34 AM
By: Kes

Content:

Throwing in my few bits (cents? pence?) in support of Marly's fancy quill pen and some kind of antigauntlet - maybe a place you have to buy membership to, in supporter points, and not just an out-of-character fix?

And, seriously, custom tattoos. Perhaps tattoo removal, too. Some of us went a bit cig-mad as soon as we could and only regretted it later - the ability to edit existing tattoos, or remove and replace, would be wonderful. And I would have so much fun figuring out the best combination of colours for them.

I'd suggest custom jewellery as well, but that feels like it's edging into memento territory. Which reminds me-

Limited-edition mementoes

I would hoard them, roleplay them, write them into Place decorations and generally just love them forever. This would be wonderful.

Posted on: September 30 2012 @ 11:07 AM

Content:

You're dealing with the XBOX generation

Hey man, I don't even own any consoles.

I just like medals.

And, honestly, gonna echo that I don't think an antigauntlet should be a supporter-only option. That seems more well-suited to being in the game as a regular feature.

Posted on: September 30 2012 @ 11:47 AM

Content:

I haven't got any more ideas, yet, but I've started trying to make an organised-by-type list of all of these. And of all the ideas in all the other threads all over the forum. It might be a little easier to browse - maybe it could even be useful for having a vote, somehow, on what things enough people would pay for that it'd be worth CMJ's time in making them? I'm imagining an MOTD of enormousness, with a massive list of things with "tick the boxes if you would actually pay SP for these!". Or maybe it'll only be useful for keeping me busy for a little while.

Link to spreadsheet (because I love spreadsheets)

Categories so far:

Posted on: October 01 2012 @ 10:51 AM
By: baluka

Content:

The only thing I can think of is weapons or armor slowly changing and getting better. People have their own stats so why not weapons and armor having their own as well? The more times we do something, the more we get better at it. Maybe the weapon gets stronger the more you use it instead of instantly chucking for the biggest and best. Now I'm probably not explaining this very well. I just like the idea of an evolving weapon. I'm sure the island would have weird effects on the things we use as well as everything around us.

Posted on: October 01 2012 @ 07:32 PM

Content:

Oh, and just gonna toss in my support for a (perhaps one time) paid name/account changer. Seems a lot of people want that option, and, suitably expensive, it could be a good money maker.

Posted on: October 01 2012 @ 08:24 PM
By: Sonny

Content:

I would like to propose a physical copy of the upcoming quest-journal, a small booklet spruced up with illustrations (such as the Island-logo, stranger-pic, the poster, perhaps even an exclusive doodle of the Watcher by CMJ himself, etc) that captures the feel of the Island in the way the Zap-grenade poster does.
The booklet itself would probably be cheap to make and someone experienced could volunteer for the layout.
To avoid high shipping costs, trusted volunteers could print it in copy-shops and ship from the US, Europe, and other regions if necessary.
The same applies to the Watcher backstories, and this booklet-series can be expanded when new material is available.

In theory it shouldn't require too much of CMJ's time, would be affordable, would be something neat to collect, would be a piece of Island history to hold in your hands and nibble on the edges, and perhaps contain super exclusive material.

Posted on: October 01 2012 @ 08:52 PM

Content:

Quote by: Sonny

I would like to propose a physical copy of the upcoming quest-journal

Okay, that would be really really awesome. Negatives would be the time and energy required to format quest text and decide a format for the booklet, coming up with and selecting any art to put in the book, and finding the most efficient way to print it. I know there are some print-on-demand places online, and I know that one can mass-order prints of books/booklets, and I know that both forms of publishing have their pros and cons for cost to the creator and worldwide distribution. I don't really know much about self-publishing, but I've noticed that people I've seen around the internet have to expend a lot of time and energy getting it together.

Positives would be that it would be really awesome, and I'm pretty sure people would buy it. (Or at least, I sure as hell would.)

Honestly, it seems like producing such a booklet would require from CMJ more time/energy/expense than it'd be worth at this point in time... but maybe it would become a more viable suggestion in the future. 'Cause man, would I love this.

Posted on: October 01 2012 @ 10:00 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

I think this idea sounds cool at first glance, but wouldn't be the wisest? Surprise Failboating visitors to your Place would be the fastest way to piss people off and make them avoid your Place. Nobody likes being failed by Stonehenge/walking the ledge/taking the ferry/drinking magic water, even though that's an expected outcome of a) being in the Jungle and b) trying the random chance events. I can only imagine people would like it even less from somewhere they don't expect it, like a Place.

You can program your own separate version of something like this in already, using memories for hp, stam, skill with weapon etc. etc. And have your own version of the failboat to boot. Not something that I've tried myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult I would have thought. It's the balancing that would be the hard part, not the programming.

Posted on: October 01 2012 @ 10:55 PM

Content:

Quote by: Hairy+Mary

You can program your own separate version of something like this in already, using memories for hp, stam, skill with weapon etc. etc. And have your own version of the failboat to boot. Not something that I've tried myself, but it shouldn't be too difficult I would have thought. It's the balancing that would be the hard part, not the programming.

That and the fact that if you use a roll to thought system the numbers have to be negative to deduct from the hp values and if you want to display those values it is bothersome..

As such paying for something like a mirror contraption that turns a thought or memory value negative or positive depending would be very cool.

Posted on: October 03 2012 @ 03:13 PM

Content:

maybe using different types of quills or colored quills to indicate special, underline, bold, italics text, maybe stack-able and have a word number for quill so that if you only want to underline one word, or all three on one (could be another quill too) then you get a couple of different words per line (or two for special ones?). [Three in one would be most expensive I think.

Posted on: October 03 2012 @ 04:52 PM

Content:

Oh! and another item that just drops crates on the map, and maybe even a lion statuette that can go in your home or something or other.

Posted on: October 03 2012 @ 10:19 PM

Content:

Quote by: marlysalt

maybe using different types of quills or colored quills to indicate special, underline, bold, italics text, maybe stack-able and have a word number for quill so that if you only want to underline one word, or all three on one (could be another quill too) then you get a couple of different words per line (or two for special ones?). [Three in one would be most expensive I think.

I can see why people like this idea, but I think it might negatively affect the... immersion, I guess? of the writing on the Island. I really like that actions are done in story form; it looks nice, and it gives you more of a sense that you are really on this Island. Underlines and bold and things throw it off a little (or a lot, depending on how liberally it's used).

Sorry, I think someone said not to post in this thread to disagree with people's suggestions unless I have a suggestion myself too, but, um. How about--uh--

Well, y'know, there could just be bigger containers for supporters. A bigger backpack, bandolier, or pan. I don't know if that would imbalance the game, or if people would find that useful.

Medpacks that heal a set percentage of your HP, not a flat 20 or 60 points! Boy, I would buy those.

Posted on: October 04 2012 @ 12:52 PM
By: Omega

Content:

Quote by: Iriana

Medpacks that heal a set percentage of your HP, not a flat 20 or 60 points! Boy, I would buy those.

Those already exist in some form! Get a Health Insurance Certificate for five dollars, and all your healing needs inside outposts are met for the next week.

Posted on: October 04 2012 @ 04:15 PM

Content:

Again: that is how they should work by default.

Same with robot cooldown.

Bug fixes/rebalance should not cost SP.

Posted on: October 04 2012 @ 08:36 PM

Content:

Quote by: Omega

Those already exist in some form! Get a Health Insurance Certificate for five dollars, and all your healing needs inside outposts are met for the next week.

But the thing about medpacks is that they're portable, for when you get jumped by that level 16 monster on your way to AceHigh and can't afford to get Failboated.

Again: that is how they should work by default.

Same with robot cooldown.

Bug fixes/rebalance should not cost SP.

Actually... Matthew is right. I take that back. I agree that medpacks should be rejiggered; they're not exactly fair as they are.

Posted on: October 04 2012 @ 11:02 PM
By: Dippy

Content:

I like the idea of a traveling wormhole. A link between two grid squares that allows players the choice of traveling in one of the compass directions or braving the unknown and entering the wormhole which then deposits them at the opposing connected grid square. A lodge item would allow a player to grab onto one end of the wormhole and change its location. Different items could allow varying levels of precision when moving the portal. For example 100 supporter points lets one dictate that one end of the wormhole will appear in a 4 square radius, while 1000 supporter points gives precise square accuracy.

Posted on: October 04 2012 @ 11:54 PM
By: Hairy+Mary

Content:

A contrivance which allows you to put an input number box in a Place. I can think of uses for that.

Posted on: October 07 2012 @ 12:23 PM

Content:

Don't think it's been said yet (at least, I couldn't find it on Buddlia's Spreadsheet), a way to change your implant would be nice. There's been a couple of times when I've really wanted to do this.

Posted on: October 19 2012 @ 09:44 PM
By: Lain

Content:

Thought about it some more...

One, I miss the message space on bios, and would pay SP for one. (yes, distractions work, but I liked those).

Two, I'd also buy a picture frame that would allow me to post alternate avatars in my bio. Visible ones, and not have to put links in the bio. I'm not sure how difficult that would be, though.

Posted on: January 17 2013 @ 09:08 AM

Content:

Bringin' this thread back from the dead. And rhyming while at it.

I know this has been brought up before, but I thought I'd mention it again (not because of, you know, extreme relevance to my current situation, or anything like that). I'd really love the ability to buy favor from the Hunter's Lodge while on the FailBoat. Sometimes you stock up a ton of stamina and plan to do something with it but then get yourself FailBoated out of stupidity and then you're stuck. It's kinda frustrating.

There probably ought to be a cap on how many times per NewDay you should be able to do this. Even just once would be reasonable.

Posted on: February 04 2014 @ 06:12 AM
By: Mango

Content:

Lain, you're the only one that has even mentioned avatars in this thread so I thought I'd toss my idea up like I've been told to several times. We have a lot of players that change forms frequently. I'll be using a few examples to try and get my point across clearly. Some players play things like werewolves. I want avatars chained to self labeled commands in the chat box.

For instance:
If currently, I had an avatar depicting a human, I could type in /wolf and have my avatar change to whatever I set to wolf.

This can work in so many ways. /glow for taking an average picture and giving it a Joker's glow where Story appropriate. You can set up several of the same face and put different expressions on them. /surprised, /glare, /curious, /eyes closed as the scene is written.

What seems most fair to me is to pay for 'slots'. Want two avatars? Pay for the deluxe picture frame PLUS one extra slot. This could really add some shape to what most of us come here for, Stooooryyyy.

Thoughts?

Posted on: February 04 2014 @ 06:48 AM

Content:

Quote by: Mango

Lain, you're the only one that has even mentioned avatars in this thread so I thought I'd toss my idea up like I've been told to several times. We have a lot of players that change forms frequently. I'll be using a few examples to try and get my point across clearly. Some players play things like werewolves. I want avatars chained to self labeled commands in the chat box.

For instance:
If currently, I had an avatar depicting a human, I could type in /wolf and have my avatar change to whatever I set to wolf.

This can work in so many ways. /glow for taking an average picture and giving it a Joker's glow where Story appropriate. You can set up several of the same face and put different expressions on them. /surprised, /glare, /curious, /eyes closed as the scene is written.

What seems most fair to me is to pay for 'slots'. Want two avatars? Pay for the deluxe picture frame PLUS one extra slot. This could really add some shape to what most of us come here for, Stooooryyyy.

Thoughts?

You forgot meenos, Mango. He is ALL of the examples. Razz

Seriously, though- sounds kind of nice. I don't think it'll be feasible to have such a feature add a graphic (even a glow)- graphics eat a heckuva lot more server than text, after all... but, otherwise sounds solid t'me!

Iriana, your idea kind of surprises me when I realize it's NOT on the Island already.

Posted on: February 04 2014 @ 12:01 PM
By: Lea.wolfsfeld

Content:

I was thinking about how there was talk of memberships... And I had an idea for it. Maybe. Possible rewards could be in game perks as well as SP. Boosted strength and defence. Or perhaps have access to higher percents when it comes to interest at the bank on new day. Instead of a maximum of 5%, make it go up to at least 10-25%. Or boost the capping from 100,000 to 1,000,000 at the bank. I know a lot of players would adore having an increased limit. Or perhaps a permanent stamina increase? Like the way its with the BOINC.

Posted on: February 04 2014 @ 11:37 PM
By: Mango

Content:

Seriously, though- sounds kind of nice. I don't think it'll be feasible to have such a feature add a graphic (even a glow)- graphics eat a heckuva lot more server than text, after all... but, otherwise sounds solid t'me!

No no, not any graphics! Literally separate jpegs. One with normal green eyes and say, one with neon green eyes. The illusion of glowing. No extra features to avatars themselves, just the ability to have more of them and for those to change via commands "/smile" to allow for smooth, very quick changes from post to post.

I feel like it would be one of those items where newer players could point and be like 'WOAH- where'd you get that?' It's very easy to see, the artists of II would probably be buying quite a few and there are plenty of characters out there playing two separate forms frequently. I would suggest making them pricier in singles than in bundles of around four.

As far as what I would pay, this is clearly a luxury item for 'ooos' and 'ahhhs'. $12 for one, $20 for four? (I don't know how to price things probably, Gnnuh.)

My vote is also in for custom tattoos, and lowkey's (probably lowkey's) idea of pointing new players to these items a little more clearly.

Posted on: February 05 2014 @ 12:06 AM
By: endarr

Content:

I really like Mango's idea. It can be quite a hassle changing at times, and I do it quite often on some days xD Not that I have any problem doing it. But something to streamline the changes would be pretty neat. Maybe something to combine all your weapon/armor disguise, picture frames, etc into one item?

Posted on: March 03 2014 @ 05:17 PM
By: leporidaemenk

Content:

Mango's idea would be really useful with what im currently doing with Hamlon, changing his mask in the avatar as his mood changes in scene. Its easy enough to change right now, but having a one click option to go through instead of getting to my picture frame every time I feel it necessary gets a bit tedious. Especially when im in someones place. Its something I would certainly find useful.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=29729