Subject: Improbability Points Allocation?

Posted on: February 03 2013 @ 02:31 PM
By: Kasa

Content:

You hear about it all the time.

People who wish desperately that they could fix what they screwed up due to inexperience on the island after the first few Drive Kills.

I've talked to several people on the island about the idea of getting a Supporter Point item requested to be made, which would allow allocation of Improbability points, which currently have no way of being altered.

The response of those I asked about the idea: "You should put that into the inquirer!"

So, here it is.

Replies:

Re: Improbability Points Allocation?

Posted on: February 03 2013 @ 04:39 PM
By: Full+Metal+Lion

Content:

Quote by: Kasa

a Supporter Point item

I support everything but the "Supporter Point" part; if it costs SP, then the concept goes from "CMJ giving you an in-game option to re-arrange your points" to "CMJ making you pay real money if you want to fix your mistakes". I'd rather have it cost Ciggies or something.

Posted on: February 03 2013 @ 08:55 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

As most here already know, CMJ's to-do list acquires new items faster than he could possibly code them even with all his acknowledged superpowers. Right now, his first priority appears to be writing story-content for us all. So even if he thinks this one's a good idea, it may not happen soon.

In the meantime... perhaps people can be less bothered by it if they reflect that one does not get to go back in time to fix past mistakes in Real Life, either. Actions have consequences; choices shape character. That Improbability point allocation is the character's history on the Island. There's room for wide variation, too. If you've got a few extra hit points and you wish you'd picked Attack instead... well, don't fret about it. You are that little bit tougher than people expect, which is all right. So, now, you just DK some more and add more Attack.

Case in point: Season One Sessine was equally balanced between Attack and Defence. I really went after those hit points -- not with Improbability points: I was The Gauntlet's regular customer, and you could get even more hit points for cigs, then. (Ssshh, don't tell Tor NaGoth... just as the Season ended, I shot past him and topped the list!)

In Season Two, with a chance to start over, I managed hit points differently, but I still alternated regularly between atk and def. Recently, I thought I'd prefer to have more power to my attacks. I'm not ever going to turn into one of those all-attack characters, that's not possible. That wouldn't be Sessine, because he didn't do that. I can work on increasing my attack from now on, though -- and that's what I'm doing.

Posted on: February 05 2013 @ 11:45 AM
By: Collin-Vee

Content:

Personally, as a person who throws in-game stuff at my character for story purposes for the most part, I think this ISN'T A GOOD IDEA.

Just imagine it. You hand over a fortune of ciggies/SP, and then what? Your character is being physically altered at a muscular and toughness level. How would you even put that in, let alone have it be what your character would do, aside from 'Lul this is fun-lookin'. I know for a fact that Collin wouldn't do that. No sirree. One look at whatever contraption that's certain to have come from one of the lower levels of hell, and he'd NOPE right out of there.

Posted on: February 05 2013 @ 03:04 PM
By: Ada

Content:

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Personally, as a person who throws in-game stuff at my character for story purposes for the most part, I think this ISN'T A GOOD IDEA.

Just imagine it. You hand over a fortune of ciggies/SP, and then what? Your character is being physically altered at a muscular and toughness level. How would you even put that in, let alone have it be what your character would do, aside from 'Lul this is fun-lookin'. I know for a fact that Collin wouldn't do that. No sirree. One look at whatever contraption that's certain to have come from one of the lower levels of hell, and he'd NOPE right out of there.

Isn't that what happens to jokers every day of their lives, just with their newday rolls instead of a contraption? I do use that in rp, actually, and it works fine. You might not want to, and that's also fine.

Whether or not reallocation of improbability points is a good idea aside -- arguing that a thing shouldn't happen because it would be difficult to show in-character makes no sense to me. The bulk of the story of the game truly only fits for the "main character", the human that is the # speaker in the flavourtext. We all have to ignore what happens to this character to some degree in order to write our own stories; the gameplay is not designed for your character, nor can all of the things that happen really be in-character. What if you enjoy fighting titans, but your character is supposed to be a weakling? What if your character is a pacifist and never fights, but you want to get cigs for your clan? What if your character really cares about reinforcing the walls, but you don't want to bother? What if you want to read the Budget Horse flavourtext, but your character has a tighter hold on their morals?

You're welcome to play the game rigidly in concordance with what you feel is right for your character, but no one has to do that. If you want to say Collin doesn't go in - then he doesn't. If that means that you as a player also won't go in - then you don't. Your personal feelings about characterization only have to impede gameplay if you want them to. Everyone gets to make that choice individually.

Posted on: February 05 2013 @ 11:42 PM
By: Kasa

Content:

While it is true that in real life you get no second try, noobs like me don't enjoy having wasted a point on something (HP in my case), only to regret it later. This is a game, not real life.

As for the SP thing, you CAN get SP without paying fairly easily.
Such as the World Community Grid thing, which gives you 500 SP after the first 24 hours, including update delays.

Posted on: February 06 2013 @ 09:32 AM
By: Iriana

Content:

I'm for the idea of being able to reallocate your Improbability Points, at some cost. This is because I've never considered Improbability Points as part of my character. I see it as being game-side, rather than story-side. Almost all my points have gone to Attack. But Iriana, the character, is not a tank-like attack monster. Neither is she the sort of person who would spend all her time in the Jungle, voluntarily choose a Bastard Rank, wear a skintight suit of armor (alternatively, wear nothing but frilly pink panties), or buy a huge hat. The poor idiot can't even cook. Which is all to say that game mechanics do not (or don't have to) translate directly into character.

Sessine, I agree with you, but more as a "coping mechanism for the meantime" rather than "permanent reason why this thing isn't going to change". I just feel that saying "well it's like real life" isn't necessarily a good reason for why things happen the way they do in a game.

Quote by: Kasa

As for the SP thing, you CAN get SP without paying fairly easily.
Such as the World Community Grid thing, which gives you 500 SP after the first 24 hours, including update delays.

Then again, I don't think that's the point, exactly--I appreciate that CMJ is a fantastic guy and keeps giving us things for free despite the fact that he really ought to keep making us pay for them so that he can feed his family, but SP is really for... you know, feeding his family.

That said, you are right about some amount of SP being easy to obtain without real money. But I still don't think this ought to be an SP thing, if it were ever implemented. It is just on the "part of the game" side of the "is it a part of the basic game or is it an add-on enhancement to the game?" But that said, I'm not sure if this is necessarily the way we need to go about it. What I'd actually like is for HP to be rejiggered so that it isn't a punch in the face, disguised as something beneficial. I did spend a good deal of time in the Gauntlet for what seems now to be no particular good purpose.

Posted on: February 08 2013 @ 11:55 AM
By: Matthew

Content:

Quote by: Iriana

a bunch of really good points

I want a reverse gauntlet.

Posted on: February 09 2013 @ 06:05 AM
By: Collin-Vee

Content:

Quote by: Matthew

The thing is, we don't need one. What we need is for health to act like proper health. Which we probably won't get without some form of reset anyway, so that us who took the smart advice of not beefing up on it aren't obliterated immediately. I'm personally thinking it's not a thing that needs to be fixed immediately, but something that needs attention after the more urgent bugs are addressed.

Posted on: February 09 2013 @ 03:19 PM
By: Count+Sessine

Content:

Quote by: Collin-Vee

Quote by: Matthew

The thing is, we don't need one. What we need is for health to act like proper health. Which we probably won't get without some form of reset anyway, so that us who took the smart advice of not beefing up on it are genuinely grateful for the altruistic warnings of earlier players who hadn't been told and were already stuck with the downsides of too many hit points aren't obliterated immediately. I'm personally thinking it's not a thing that needs to be fixed immediately, but something that needs attention after the more urgent bugs are addressed.

There. Fixed that for you. Big Grin

You're right that the behaviour of hit points can't change without a reset, but the reason for that is that the current behaviour is baked hard into the LotGD combat system. A rewrite of combat means a whole new game engine. Yes, it'll probably happen at some (indefinite) point in the future -- but when it does, everything will change.

There's considerable development potential left in Season Two, and even with its weird quirks and acknowledged defects, it appears that people are still having a lot of fun with it. So, um... best not hold your breath for S3.

The Improbable Island Enquirer - Forum
http://enquirer.improbableisland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=30319